Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Paying your kids for chores [Re: Holzer] #14036324 06/18/21 05:14 PM
lakeforkfisherman Offline
Elliptical Mechanic
Elliptical Mechanic
I paid mine to do chores. I had 3. It taught them a lot and now they are all 3 great young adults.

Managing money, particularly deciding if they wanted something bad enough to wait on it and spend the money on it.
Earning toward a goal (eliminates immediate gratification)
Negotiating with each other to do each others’ jobs for more money or less work (lazy shows up real fast here)
Structure - knows what needs to be done and when. Expectations are clear.
Cause & effect, or, actions & consequences - no work = no money. work = money
Respect - respect me as boss dad. Respect each other where team work required.
Personal responsibility - keep your house clean. Do the job right. Cut corners = cut in pay.

LET’S GO BRANDON!!!
Re: Paying your kids for chores [Re: Holzer] #14036332 06/18/21 05:21 PM
B-rader Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
I pay mine for now ages 2 and 5 for now just to show them what working to " buy a dress " looks like and to understand money. As they get older I will not pay them , that way they understand that my wife and i work hard so they can live here.

It also shows them that life isn't easy nor fair. I'm a little more " hard" than most but their colleges are all ready paid for and they won't have alot of chances to learn real life unless I show them .

A-RIGS , MAKING BAD FISHERMAN LOOK GOOD SINCE 2010
Re: Paying your kids for chores [Re: Holzer] #14036426 06/18/21 06:28 PM
GeoFisher Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Dad always paid me and my brother for mowing the yard, raking leaves, and general yard maintenance. He paid us based on how well it looked! If we did not do a good job, we got a meager 5 bucks. If we did it right, we got up to $20. Most of the time he gave us $20, but would keep $5 for himself. When we asked him why we could not have the entire $20, he would tell us, "Ya gotta pay Uncle Sam his share boys". I learned at a very young age that the "tax man" always got his money!!

Everything on your bass boat is broken......You just don't know it yet.
Re: Paying your kids for chores [Re: Holzer] #14036484 06/18/21 06:52 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Judging by these responses, the TFF leans a little democratic, but claims to lean Republican.

My folks made me WORK around the house. I had a solid 8-9 hour Saturday list, along with a daily list. Lack of success or participation on my part was dealt with swiftly….and it was painful. In return, I didn’t “pay” for extracurricular activities, such as football, baseball, soccer, fishing, 6Flags, etc.

I still don’t know the value of a dollar. I work hard, every day. I buy what I want when I want.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Paying your kids for chores [Re: Sawhorse] #14036516 06/18/21 07:20 PM
S
Spiderman Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by Sawhorse
Originally Posted by Uncle Zeek
The ordinary "keep the house running" chores, like helping with laundry, taking out the trash, or vacuuming the house, are unpaid.

But the dirty jobs, like scooping cat litter boxes or scrubbing toilets, are paid.

I would have gladly scrubbed toilets and such, but my parents would have had to beat me to death trying to get me to mess with a cat litter box. And even after my death, I still wouldn’t have f-ed with their stupid cat litter boxes.

Lol………I never changed a diaper!

The Truth is six of the seven Dwarfs are not Happy!
Re: Paying your kids for chores [Re: Holzer] #14036537 06/18/21 07:40 PM
A
Allen Bass Fisher Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
A
I never got paid for doing stuff around the house. If we (brother and I) complained he would say something like "That's why I had son's" Meaning to do chores. Or another favorite "I feed you don't I".

Re: Paying your kids for chores [Re: Holzer] #14036558 06/18/21 08:11 PM
572Fitter Offline
Angler
Angler
Nope !

Re: Paying your kids for chores [Re: lakeforkfisherman] #14036588 06/18/21 08:36 PM
1oldbassguy Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted by lakeforkfisherman
I paid mine to do chores. I had 3. It taught them a lot and now they are all 3 great young adults.

Managing money, particularly deciding if they wanted something bad enough to wait on it and spend the money on it.
Earning toward a goal (eliminates immediate gratification)
Negotiating with each other to do each others’ jobs for more money or less work (lazy shows up real fast here)
Structure - knows what needs to be done and when. Expectations are clear.
Cause & effect, or, actions & consequences - no work = no money. work = money
Respect - respect me as boss dad. Respect each other where team work required.
Personal responsibility - keep your house clean. Do the job right. Cut corners = cut in pay.

The above is the perfect response .

I once paid my son $20 to mow the lawn --- then when he came in the house , I mugged him for the $20 , wanted to teach him life can be hard

Re: Paying your kids for chores [Re: Holzer] #14036646 06/18/21 09:28 PM
P
Po Boy Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
P
I was raised on a small farm. I always had chores, feeding chickens, haying the cows, slopping the hogs, hoeing the cotton, hauling hay, well you get the idea, any farm work that needed to be done. My dad paid me by putting a roof over my head, food on my plate, and clothes on my back. The roof sometime leaked, the food was not always what I liked, and the clothes may have had patches on them. If I wanted money I could work for neighbors after I had finished my chores. I learned the value of a dollar and that money did not grow on trees. I also learned the importance of respecting authority. I loved my dad and today I wish that I could meet with him face to face to thank him for the way he raised me.

Re: Paying your kids for chores [Re: Holzer] #14036677 06/18/21 10:06 PM
B
bloo_rainger Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
B
Basically told my son you have this list of stuff you’re responsible for. If you take care of the list we will take care of the rest.
It worked out well for all of us.

Re: Paying your kids for chores [Re: Holzer] #14036685 06/18/21 10:09 PM
B-rader Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Meh, I see alot of " my parents had a roof over my head " blah blah. You weren't taught how money works though. You were just told to do it. You deserved better teaching ....I got the same thing in my childhood as well. How do kids know how to have a house if you don't teach them what money is?

Farthest thing away from liberal, just more evolved than 100 years ago.

A-RIGS , MAKING BAD FISHERMAN LOOK GOOD SINCE 2010
Re: Paying your kids for chores [Re: Holzer] #14036693 06/18/21 10:21 PM
S
Scagnetti Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
Judging by these responses, the TFF leans a little democratic, but claims to lean Republican.

My folks made me WORK around the house. I had a solid 8-9 hour Saturday list, along with a daily list. Lack of success or participation on my part was dealt with swiftly….and it was painful. In return, I didn’t “pay” for extracurricular activities, such as football, baseball, soccer, fishing, 6Flags, etc.

I still don’t know the value of a dollar. I work hard, every day. I buy what I want when I want.

Lots of RINOs on the TFF who really are moderates but just won't admit it because of the backlash.

We lived in a two family attached rowhouse which my unskilled father felt compelled to "renovate". I was forced child labor. Many lost summers and weekends doing aggravating, pissant work. Hauling buckets of lath and plaster down stairs, hand sanding parquet floors on my [censored] knees, screwing with ancient plumbing systems, etc. It was no coincidence, that after I left for college, the old man started PAYING tradesmen to come in and do the work I was doing.

The mere SUGGESTION of ME getting money for this work would've been met with derision and laughter.

I know the value of a dollar but it has NOTHING to do with the "lessons" I learned growing up.

[Linked Image]

Re: Paying your kids for chores [Re: Holzer] #14036703 06/18/21 10:38 PM
M
malibu6501 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Life's more complicated now. I remember dad after work getting me and going to the fence rows on the back roads in Agua Dulce to hunt rabbits under a fading light. Or hunting doves over plowed fields next pipeline right of ways or fox squirrels off the Cibolo. There wasn't money for chores. We got paid by trotlining trips to Mathis and such. That was 50 years ago. It's a lot easier now to throw money at it. That being said. I pay my son for grades. I never did until this year. It worked. Sad. But it worked.

Re: Paying your kids for chores [Re: Holzer] #14036739 06/18/21 11:12 PM
P
PowerLizard Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
P
Some house chores are done without pay (empty & load dishwasher daily) and some are paid. My 14 year old son makes $20 for mowing, edging and trimming the yard weekly. The neighborhood lawn services charge $30 but bring their own equipment. I will pay extra for pulling weeds and raking leaves. I tell him he is never going to get rich working for me so he needs to start looking somewhere else. If he finds another better paying part-time job, then I might have to resume mowing myself. I have told him that would be my problem and I could manage it. I would be happy to mow my own yard knowing my son was developing a work ethic.

I would pay my son for grades but he doesn’t look far enough in the future to put any extra effort in. He does just enough to slide by. If I paid for grades, high grades in English and Math would be worth a lot more than History and Band.

Re: Paying your kids for chores [Re: Holzer] #14036770 06/18/21 11:47 PM
Fishingking Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Paying kids roflmao

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide