Print Thread
Where the fish go? #14034761 06/17/21 05:09 AM
S
Shadslayer69 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Last week water temps were 76 degrees and I was having 100+ fish days. The temp rose to 83 degrees 2 days later and still caught 35 in 2 hours. But went 3 days after that and the water was 92.... and fish were gone and couldn't find any. My guess they went shallow to feed on shad in the flooded willow trees. Since I checked from 80 foot to 10 foot across the entire lake (ray roberts). I was on top of fish 10 foot thick on sonar, they looked like piles of striper and bit about as fast, but now... gone.
So what do yall think? I was getting spoiled, had thousands of fish around and now nothing cant buy a fish over 1 lb.

Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: Where the fish go? [Re: Shadslayer69] #14034875 06/17/21 12:29 PM
C
CarlB Offline
Angler
Angler
C
When the water gets hot it has less oxygen so the fish move to wherever the water is more oxygenated, at least that's the theory.

Re: Where the fish go? [Re: Shadslayer69] #14034923 06/17/21 01:20 PM
๐Ÿ€El Gato Azul๐Ÿ€ Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Lots of Blues in mid depths right now. Last weekend there was a thermocline in 30 ft where we were fishing. We stayed right above that and caught a ton. They are very easy to locate right now on points, ledges, humps and pretty much any structure in mid depth can hold them right now on any given day.

There is a fine line between fishing and floating around like an idiot!!
texas Check out out my YouTube channel El Gato Azul TV texas
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg0aV-uOxzxKxeqFFfREzKg
โš“๏ธโš“๏ธโš“๏ธโš“๏ธ Home of little boys holding big catfish! โš“๏ธโš“๏ธโš“๏ธโš“๏ธ
Re: Where the fish go? [Re: ๐Ÿ€El Gato Azul๐Ÿ€] #14035134 06/17/21 03:57 PM
F
Fishin' Nut Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
F
Originally Posted by ๐ŸŒŠEl Gato Azul๐ŸŒŠ
Lots of Blues in mid depths right now. Last weekend there was a thermocline in 30 ft where we were fishing. We stayed right above that and caught a ton. They are very easy to locate right now on points, ledges, humps and pretty much any structure in mid depth can hold them right now on any given day.

This. When I lived in Oak Point, I used the thermocline to locate catfish and bait during the summer months.

Originally Posted by OTFF
He is truly a sick individual.
Re: Where the fish go? [Re: Shadslayer69] #14035533 06/17/21 09:09 PM
C
Catfish Lynn Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
If you are fishing in a lake, the thermocline will be mostly out in 15 feet & deeper. One aricle about 20 years back, that he would go to a lake with his rod-n-reel with golds (goldfish). In whatever depth, about mid depth. So if 30 feet deep, somewhere near 15 feet below the surface, or up from the bottom. He explained that the big blues would suspend in mid-depth due to the thermocline. But they would vary a foot or so, in order to retrieve bait, if sensed.

In Lake Limestone, coming out of the Running Branch Marina side, the long No Wake Zone, ranging up to about 13 feet deep, usually the thermocline does not affect them. Of course during the day, if they are close to the surface, I am sure the sun with the warmer water will broil them.

Lynn
aka "Catfish"
Re: Where the fish go? [Re: Shadslayer69] #14035908 06/18/21 11:51 AM
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Fish suspend over the thermocline but they dip down in it to eat lethargic bait that gets disoriented. You see fish on the ledge suspend over the top of bait and push it down into the oxygen deprived layer and then attack downward to feed on them. Most of the time itโ€™s the opposite in that most lake predators attack from below or behind. Cats are a little harder to catch when they suspend but they are catchable if you drop your baits to them and vertical fish for them and sometimes in August we do that. This time of year I move out of the thermocline entirely. If the thermocline is at 30 ft then Iโ€™m scanning structure that is less than 30 ft deep. There tends to be a preferred depth on any given day and Iโ€™m really not sure what the biological mechanism is that tells bait and fish what depth to relate to but I generally fish in 15-35 ft this time of year. First thing I do when I get on the water is start looking for the preferred depth for that particular day and I focus my attention on structure that is in that depth.

โš“๏ธโš“๏ธโš“๏ธโš“๏ธ Home of little boys holding big catfish! โš“๏ธโš“๏ธโš“๏ธโš“๏ธ
Re: Where the fish go? [Re: Shadslayer69] #14036590 06/18/21 08:38 PM
T
taterpop Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Should you still drag bottom or keep your bait above the line ?

Re: Where the fish go? [Re: Shadslayer69] #14036687 06/18/21 10:12 PM
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
This time of year I move out of it completely.

Re: Where the fish go? [Re: Shadslayer69] #14043854 06/26/21 02:02 PM
Z
z289sec Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Z
Ray Roberts is a weird lake, as far as water temp and thermocline goes. Only lake that I've been on personally, in the middle of summer where there are parts of the lake with a solid readable thermocline, and parts of it with absolutely none at all. I've caught cats in a cove mouth in August, in 50 foot of water......and lots of them. The bait also doesn't die when it's down there, so there must be plenty of oxygen. I'm assuming there must be some aeration, somewhere in the lake, just not enough to cover the entire lake.

Last edited by z289sec; 06/26/21 02:07 PM.
Re: Where the fish go? [Re: Shadslayer69] #14043940 06/26/21 04:07 PM
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
I fish quite a few different fisheries and there is a thermocline on every one I fish. Raybob, Lewisville, Grapevine, Twok, Lavon, Texoma, Possom Kingdom You name it. I fish em all the same way. The depth of it varies from day to day and depending on what part of the lake your in and how much current and wind. The thermocline is here every summer but not every day. Itโ€™s not an issue for me. It can be a useful tool in my opinion.

Re: Where the fish go? [Re: ๐Ÿ€El Gato Azul๐Ÿ€] #14044278 06/27/21 12:58 AM
Z
z289sec Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Z
Originally Posted by ๐ŸŒŠEl Gato Azul๐ŸŒŠ
I fish quite a few different fisheries and there is a thermocline on every one I fish. Raybob, Lewisville, Grapevine, Twok, Lavon, Texoma, Possom Kingdom You name it. I fish em all the same way. The depth of it varies from day to day and depending on what part of the lake your in and how much current and wind. The thermocline is here every summer but not every day. Itโ€™s not an issue for me. It can be a useful tool in my opinion.

Me too, (except for two lakes) but Ray Bob is the only one I've ever been on that the thermocline isn't present in the entire lake, provided the water is deeper than the thermocline. Especially when it's plainly visible throughout the rest of the lake. Wish I knew what caused it. Eagle Mountain is usually completely predictable, it's usually between 23 and 25 foot throughout the entire reservoir, but even it's at a funky depth right now at 20 feet.

Last edited by z289sec; 06/27/21 12:59 AM.
Re: Where the fish go? [Re: Shadslayer69] #14044559 06/27/21 01:19 PM
Catfish Tim Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I think we all agree on the effects of the thermocline. Chis I'm like you in that I take advantage of it and use it as a tool. I avoid water with the cline and fish areas above it. If it sets up at 20', I'll stay in water that is shallower than 20'. One thing you mentioned that I have not tried is suspending on fish that are above the cline in deeper water. That is a tactic I will add to my tool box. I may try that next time out.

One curious thing I've noticed this year is the bait being absent from the marina. For whatever reason they just aren't there. In the past when the water warms up, they have been plentiful and easy to net off the dock. Not the case this year. I don't mind because my nets last longer when I don't throw at the marina. That place is crazy with crappie condos and old Christmas trees. Just wondering what's different that makes them stay away...

Catfish Tim
๐ŸŸ๐ŸŸ"If it doesn't have whiskers, it's just bait"๐ŸŸ๐ŸŸ
Romans 8:1

Re: Where the fish go? [Re: Shadslayer69] #14044817 06/27/21 08:18 PM
Dan90210 โ˜ฎ Offline
Jr Deputy Dan
Jr Deputy Dan
Tim, how high is the water on the lake you are fishing? You mentioned the shad not being in normal places... I can usually net a good number of them on boat ramps on Grapevine or The Lew as the sun would rise.

Have not been to the Lew in a while but with Grapevine being so high, there are not many shad on the ramps, the suckers are out suspended OR if its windy they are holding in flooded trees and brush on the wind blown sides.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide