Top Dawg
I’ve always wanted to learn, but I’m too lazy

Re: Learning Guitar [Re: Patriot7Six] #14034279 06/16/21 08:29 PM
C
CrazyCrappieGuy Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
The first thing you should try and figure out if you have an ear for music. If you don't it will be tough, you have to memorize cords watching someone or reading music, you won't be able to figure songs out on your own. I play for years as a kid, knew lots of songs, mainly from watch others play, but I did not have an ear for it and lost interest.

Re: Learning Guitar [Re: Patriot7Six] #14034297 06/16/21 08:45 PM
hopalong Online Confused
Pescador Loco
Online Confused
Pescador Loco
make this your first song to learn, easy.

" Hop, set the hook"!
hopalong 99,999
TexDawg 99,999
FJB! not my president by a long shot!

lake fork FISHERMANS COVE MARINA/reservations - 903 474 7479
Re: Learning Guitar [Re: Patriot7Six] #14034354 06/16/21 09:25 PM
U
UGLYSHCTICK Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
U
only thing I can play is the radio....and according to my wife , I don't do that well either..

Just want to make folks smile, and spit coffee on their keyboard.

If you put beans in your chili, you don't know beans about chili.

God doesn't create temporary people, you will spend eternity somewhere. Choose wisely.
Re: Learning Guitar [Re: Patriot7Six] #14034417 06/16/21 10:24 PM
M
malibu6501 Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
M
What sawhorse said. Then switch to bass. Everybody likes a bass player. Womens too.

Re: Learning Guitar [Re: Patriot7Six] #14034429 06/16/21 10:34 PM
Tneel Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Looks very easy,I see this little indonesian girl pop up on youtube all the time and it doesnt look that hard.

Re: Learning Guitar [Re: Patriot7Six] #14034433 06/16/21 10:38 PM
I
Indianation65 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
I
Mr. Patriot7six,
I've read the comments so far, and none of them is wrong, but I have not seen this question asked, and I have not read that you have offered the information.

You want to learn how to play the guitar. Awesome, that's great!

* What exactly does that mean, what kind of player do you want to be?

From there I'll be more specific.
Are you wanting to start electric because you want to be like your guitar heroes and favorite bands?
Are you wanting to learn power chords and/or learn to be a "lead player"?

Are you wanted to learn full chords and riffs so you can "write songs and write words," do your own original music?
Do you want to play covers so you can be the star sitting around a campfire having everyone "Ooh and Aah" over the fact that you can do a Johnny Cash song, then a Zeppelin song, then an original, and follow up with some horrible Jimmy Buffett song?

What is your goal while starting out? Because it will change as the year progresses.

...?

Re: Learning Guitar [Re: Patriot7Six] #14034435 06/16/21 10:38 PM
L
lowew79 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
well i disagree, i think electric is the way to start, the strings are easier on your fingers and you can reach everything easier. You can always switch to acoustic when your fingers and hands are stronger. Also especially if you are a smaller person an electric is just easier to hold and reach around.

Politicians are like diapers, they both need to be changed often, and for the same reason - Unknown
Re: Learning Guitar [Re: Patriot7Six] #14034437 06/16/21 10:39 PM
I
Indianation65 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
I
Addendum: After you tell us what your ultimate "1st" guitar goal is, then I'll offer specific input.

Addendum II: Of course, you might not want to hear it! Nobody else does!

...!

Re: Learning Guitar [Re: Patriot7Six] #14034478 06/16/21 11:17 PM
gregpaul Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
Hopefully you’ll be able to play this one day

Re: Learning Guitar [Re: Nocona Brian] #14034518 06/16/21 11:47 PM
B
Bob Davis Online Content
Bunkeroid Bob
Online Content
Bunkeroid Bob
B
Originally Posted by NoconaBrian
Good advice here, I second starting on an acoustic. Or get something like an Ovation acoustic/electric with a cutaway that you could play similar to a full blown electric.

Once you kind of figure out some cords you can find online tabs for songs you like and go from there.

Speaking of, does anyone know a good app or website, one could put on an ipad or phone with a big library of songs with cords and lyrics? Something you could pull out at a party and look up songs to play.

Brian, I use Power Music Essentials on a Microsoft Surface Pro Tablet/Laptop. It will let you build a library of Lyrics and Chords of many songs. You can import the lyrics and chords easily into the library in either Text, PDF or Richtext RTF format. There is a free version of this software here: https://powermusicsoftware.com/Products/Power-Music-Essentials

I liked it so well I bought the Pro version. Now when I go out to play, I can already have a Set list or can view the entire library. Beats those 3 ring binders of paper music sheets.

Any song you want the chord and lyrics too, just do a search for 'Lyrics and Chords' for _______. Chances are good you can find the song lyrics and chords. Copy and paste the text into Word RTF or Simple TEXT files then import to the software on your tablet.

It is pretty cool. The software will let you transpose keys. There is also a scroll function but you need to hit the space bar to scroll or buy a foot switch. And you can import someone else's library as well. I have over 300 songs in mine.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Re: Learning Guitar [Re: Patriot7Six] #14034571 06/17/21 12:55 AM
C
CrazyCrappieGuy Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
I think it helps if you are hot...

Re: Learning Guitar [Re: lowew79] #14034588 06/17/21 01:09 AM
Duck_Hunter Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Sawhorse
Originally Posted by Dan90210 ☮
Learn scales. Major and Minor scales. Practice with a metronome.

Starting with electric is not the best idea. You can be messy with an electric. Learn on an acoustic and you will learn to be precise. But if thats what your heart is set on then go for it with the electric.

Its a lot of fun! Takes practice but its fun.

Scales...major and minor? If you’re wanting to learn music sure...but you wrote “learn how to play guitar”. It’s been my experience that the scales-knowers are either top tier players, or terrible guitar players that know all the theory but have little/no feel. Most folks in the middle categories, such as...have fun, decent, good, pretty darn good...etc. aren’t really scales cats.

I would suggest you learn to form some basic chords (G,C,D,A,E, Em, Am) first. Then learn how to switch between chords. Take a very simple 3-chord song (that you know how it goes) and learn to change the chords fast/smooth enough to support the melody. Then expand the songs you can do that with. Then do it with songs that have 4 or 5 chords...including minor chords.

Next, learn how to make barre chords. They’ll sound terrible at first, but stay at it. Practice them until they sound decent (e.g. no buzzing, all notes sounding...etc.). Then proceed as above...but with barre chords. Pretty soon you’ll be proficient enough to have some fun playing a bunch of different tunes.

Once you can do all of that, it’s time to try out your new skill and see if it can get you some chicks.

This guy knows what he’s talking about and he can play. Start with chord progressions and go from there. I remember learning some songs, like Black Dog, in my high school guitar class, and then later learning/understanding they were part of (for lack of a better term, rooted in would be better) the scales that I hated trying to learn on their own. It helps with teaching your fingers and pick hand how to move too, but chords are the place to start and you can learn guitar pretty well without learning all the theory or that stuff. But Sawhorse has great advice and, like I said, knows what he’s talking about. (Bob Davis is another good source, too. There has been a lot of good advice in this thread.)

Originally Posted by lowew79
well i disagree, i think electric is the way to start, the strings are easier on your fingers and you can reach everything easier. You can always switch to acoustic when your fingers and hands are stronger. Also especially if you are a smaller person an electric is just easier to hold and reach around.

I agree with Lowe. This was my experience, as well. After a year or so I also bought an acoustic, which I learned to prefer over electric, but I feel like electric was easier to learn on - and, in turn, stick with it - for the reasons he listed. That’s just my experience.

But, I haven’t played in almost 20 years, so…

[Linked Image]
Re: Learning Guitar [Re: Patriot7Six] #14034709 06/17/21 03:01 AM
Sawyer S Online Content
Angler
Online Content
Angler
Fender play should be ok if you are learning. Their introductory lessons seemed pretty good. I didn't really like it because I only had it to learn new songs but it didn't have a great variety of songs. Also I'm really only interested in playing country music and it was mainly rock n roll which was too advanced for me.

I haven't ever used this website but I have seen their tutorials on youtube. They only focus on country.
https://www.sixstringcountry.com

I hope you enjoy playing the guitar. I enjoy it but also suck at it. I've got a Telecaster and an Ibanez acoustic which I like.

Joshua 1:9
Re: Learning Guitar [Re: Patriot7Six] #14034813 06/17/21 11:06 AM
M
marschall Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Get a acoustic that has a straight neck and cheap . Get a chord book are something that shows you how to put your fingers on the different strings to make a chord . Play them over and over and over till they sound right . Your finders have to get hard or it will be like running on a flat tire to sound good . Once you learn this and it sounds good , then you can play a electric .

May your wiener schnitzel always stay above your lederhosein.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide