Page 1 of 2 1 2
Bone head move of the year #14030296 06/13/21 11:32 AM
Catfish Tim Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Confession time boys and girls...

I did one of the stupidest things I've ever done earlier this week... mad

I went out to the lake Wednesday afternoon. I was going to catch bait and come back out at nightfall to soak em. Jer and I went up to the lucas road bridge and threw the net several times and caught a few big 10" to 12" shad.

We got back to the marina pulled in and were getting ready to head back to the truck. I couldn't find my keys... It was at that moment that I realized what I'd done.

When I load up getting out of the truck I take the cooler and the bucket. Same routine every time. I get a bag of ice in the cooler and the bucket has the castnet. On top of the castnet I put my wallet phone and keys. The cooler and the bucket go in the wagon and away we go. We get to the gate, I pick up my wallet and badge through the gate, back into the bucket goes the wallet. We walk to the slip and the ice goes from the truck cooler to the boat cooler and the wallet phone and keys go on the dash next to the Elite TI.

For whatever reason, be it a distraction or just plain forgetfulness I didn't take the keys out of the bucket. The wallet and Phone were in the right place, but the keys were not. We took off, got up to the bridge and I now know that on the first throw my keys went to the bottom... The story doesn't end there...

I called my dealership to ask about getting a new key fob. I long for the old days when you could just go have a new key cut. That'd be too easy. They said they had fobs in stock and they just needed the truck there to program the fob. So I'm standing there between the chicken and the egg or the rock and the hard place or some combination thereof... They said I'd have to have it towed to them.

I called the insurance company because I have tow coverage. They sent a wrecker out. Mind you this is the next day already. The guy calls me and says he can't tow it without unlocking it and being able to put it in neutral. So he waves me off. I call the insurance again. They want to send a locksmith to open the door. I said what about getting it into neutral? They said oh yea... I said can you get a locksmith that can just go out and make a new fob? Yeah, we'll do that. So then they call back and say they can't find one who will do that and you'll have to have it towed. I said well we've come all the way around the barn and my truck is still sitting there. They find a guy (in Irving) that can tow it. He goes out has locksmith tools to unlock it and knows how to get it in neutral without a key in the ignition. By now it's late Thursday night and he has to store the truck over night telling me he will take it to the dealership first thing in the morning.

He calls me at 10:00 and says he is in Fort Worth and he will have the truck there no later than 1:00 Friday afternoon. not to make this drag on too long, the truck shows up at the dealership 9:30 Friday night. Saturday (when I should be fishing) about 11:00 I call the dealership to see if the truck is ready to pick up. "what truck?" they say. I tell them the story and by now I'm starting to feel like Arlo Guthery singing Alice's Restaurant. They say "OK let us see if we can find it". 1:00 they call back and say "It's not here" I call the tow driver and say where's my truck, the dealership says it's not there. He starts trying to explain to me where he dropped it. I say, please call the dealership and help them find my truck. Dealership calls back and says we found it. and we have a service ticket opened. We will call you when it's ready. Mind you they close at 3:00 on Saturdays. at 3:03 I get a text saying my truck is ready and our hours are 7:00 to 6:00 Monday thru Friday and 7:00 to 3:00 on Saturday.

So, as I write this on Sunday morning, I still don't have my truck and as much as I'd like to scream about this, I cant because the only person I can blame for this mess, is me.

The moral of the story is, keep your keys in your pocket! hammer duh

Catfish Tim
ðŸŸðŸŸ"If it doesn't have whiskers, it's just bait"ðŸŸðŸŸ
Romans 8:1

Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: Bone head move of the year [Re: Catfish Tim] #14030308 06/13/21 12:03 PM
ðŸ€El Gato Azul🀠Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Man what a pain in the tail! I think just about all us boaters have had some type of key fiasco at one time or another Tim. Makes you get pretty regimented on where and what ya do with those keys from now on!

There is a fine line between fishing and floating around like an idiot!!
texas Check out out my YouTube channel El Gato Azul TV texas
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg0aV-uOxzxKxeqFFfREzKg
âš“ï¸âš“ï¸âš“ï¸âš“ï¸ Home of little boys holding big catfish! âš“ï¸âš“ï¸âš“ï¸âš“ï¸
Re: Bone head move of the year [Re: ðŸ€El Gato AzulðŸ€] #14030322 06/13/21 12:22 PM
Catfish Tim Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by 🌊El Gato Azul🌊
Man what a pain in the tail! I think just about all us boaters have had some type of key fiasco at one time or another Tim. Makes you get pretty regimented on where and what ya do with those keys from now on!

I think it will be a while before I make that mistake again. The hard lessons are the ones we learn the best...

Catfish Tim

Re: Bone head move of the year [Re: Catfish Tim] #14030333 06/13/21 12:33 PM
ðŸ€El Gato Azul🀠Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
All it takes is one time and it will forever burn that into your brain. You know how much I love to fish Tim and I used to sprint from my truck to the boat after putting in. I would keep my keys in my coat pocket from the truck to the boat and one day they bounced out as I was half way down the dock ramp and bounced right into the lake. Luckily I was able to throw my cast net and recover them. That was 15 yrs ago and now I put the keys into my pocket and I keep a tight grip on my keys every single time out of habit until I’m in my boat and then I put them in a zippered compartment on the center console.. It is burned into my brain forever!!!!

âš“ï¸âš“ï¸âš“ï¸âš“ï¸ Home of little boys holding big catfish! âš“ï¸âš“ï¸âš“ï¸âš“ï¸
Re: Bone head move of the year [Re: ðŸ€El Gato AzulðŸ€] #14030359 06/13/21 12:56 PM
Catfish Tim Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by 🌊El Gato Azul🌊
All it takes is one time and it will forever burn that into your brain. You know how much I love to fish Tim and I used to sprint from my truck to the boat after putting in. I would keep my keys in my coat pocket from the truck to the boat and one day they bounced out as I was half way down the dock ramp and bounced right into the lake. Luckily I was able to throw my cast net and recover them. That was 15 yrs ago and now I put the keys into my pocket and I keep a tight grip on my keys every single time out of habit until I’m in my boat and then I put them in a zippered compartment on the center console.. It is burned into my brain forever!!!!

Well, in addition to all the trouble and time without my truck...this cost me about $400 between the tow and the new key fob. that is a brain tattoo for sure.

Catfish Tim

Re: Bone head move of the year [Re: Catfish Tim] #14030563 06/13/21 04:03 PM
C
Catfish Lynn Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
OUCH!!! Yes, I love the old keys. I prefer the older vehicles. This is one reason.

My little oops can't compare to yours. I had my hunting knife (about a $35 one with sheath. I had it out of the sheath & on life preserver seat cushions up front where I run lines. We got off at the dock near the Ranger station at Lake Limestone by the dam, to go use the bathroom there. We get back in & cruise to run lines on the way back. Hmm, where did my knife go. Obviously, it fell off there at the dock. Next time we got back there, I fished for it but did not find it. Chances are somebody saw it & retrieved already as it was only about 2 to 3 feet deep at the time and partially clear, so I figure the silver sparkle made it easy to see,

After that, I decided to stick with $15 Winchester hunt/fish knife with sheath, just in case. I still have that replacement & try to put it back in the sheath when not being used.

As to keys, I acquired my Uncle's 2004 Chrysler Town & Country van since he passed away & got a trailer hitch so we could go fishing again. Both our P/Us went down in 2012. It had been my daughter's previously. Anyway, I went to make an extra key & it is the $85 or $89 variety (no alarm though). So I settled on two regular copies only. This way I can get inside if I locked the special key inside or it locked me out. However, the key will crank it, but it shuts off within 5 to 10 seconds as the internal security does not recognize the key

So it is possible you might be able to get a cheap copy to get in to unlock the transmission or wheel. But not sure about the alarm. But have it on a separate keychain (on you) just for emergency.

Lynn
aka "Catfish"
Re: Bone head move of the year [Re: Catfish Tim] #14030860 06/13/21 09:36 PM
E
Ed-n-eddy Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
E
Aww dang. That's epic cry

1987 Whaler Super Sport 17, Yamaha 90
1981 Whaler Sport 13, Johnson 50
Re: Bone head move of the year [Re: Catfish Tim] #14031054 06/14/21 12:13 AM
K
KEGracing Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
K
Feel for ya Tim... That sucks!

I would have been about cooked by the time you got the truck to the dealer, let alone they cant find it...

Maybe the fishing gods will smile on you for a while to make up for it!

Ken

2014 Premier Alante 235 RF tritoon. Momma's boat. But I get to fish on her.

A country boy will survive... but those who cross him?

Cedar Creek personal best:
Blue Cat 31.55 lbs
Hybrid 6.2 lbs
Crappie 2.1 lbs
Re: Bone head move of the year [Re: Catfish Tim] #14031250 06/14/21 03:19 AM
banker-always fishing Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Online Content
Pumpkin Head
It happens. That is one experience you will never forget! thumb

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Bone head move of the year [Re: Catfish Tim] #14031322 06/14/21 11:08 AM
Catfish Tim Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
My brother is having cancer surgery today up in Iowa City. My problems are nothing compared to what he is going through. I pray for him and everyone who is suffering from that plague. My wife was diagnosed with breast cancer 2 years ago this week. Thanks be to God the caught it early and she is fine today. My brother is not so lucky. So losing my keys, while a bone head move on my part, is nothing more than an inconvenience.

I am watching the sun come up and having a cup of coffee. I am blessed... I hope everyone has a blessed day.

Catfish Tim

Re: Bone head move of the year [Re: Catfish Tim] #14031535 06/14/21 02:46 PM
G
gar1970 Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
G
Prayers for your brother angel2
I keep a spare key in a hide a key box hidden under my vehicle. It has saved me twice. Both times my castnet pulled my keys out of my pocket as i was throwing my net. Note to self: make sure keys are all the way down in your pocket

https://www.Jiglyf.com

TEXAS ELITE ANGLER
Re: Bone head move of the year [Re: Catfish Tim] #14031562 06/14/21 03:09 PM
ðŸ€El Gato Azul🀠Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
We’ll send up some prayers Tim. ðŸ™

Re: Bone head move of the year [Re: Catfish Tim] #14031926 06/14/21 08:24 PM
F
Fishin' Nut Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
F
Mine go in the glove box on the boat as soon as I board after launching. I also have a spare at home.

Originally Posted by OTFF
He is truly a sick individual.
Re: Bone head move of the year [Re: Catfish Tim] #14032011 06/14/21 09:44 PM
banker-always fishing Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Originally Posted by Catfish Tim
My brother is having cancer surgery today up in Iowa City. My problems are nothing compared to what he is going through. I pray for him and everyone who is suffering from that plague. My wife was diagnosed with breast cancer 2 years ago this week. Thanks be to God the caught it early and she is fine today. My brother is not so lucky. So losing my keys, while a bone head move on my part, is nothing more than an inconvenience.

I am watching the sun come up and having a cup of coffee. I am blessed... I hope everyone has a blessed day.

Praying for your brother and his family. The Lord Jesus Christ has control! angel2

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Bone head move of the year [Re: Catfish Tim] #14032097 06/14/21 10:57 PM
P
pop r Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
P
Ouch! ???? happens! Better luck on your next fishing trip. fish

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide