Forums59
Topics1,039,208
Posts13,960,994
Members144,196
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: How do you tell your partner he stinks as a boater [Re: SenkoSam] #14025817 06/09/21 01:39 PM
ReelSlow Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by SenkoSam
Originally Posted by hopalong
next time he is in your boat, run it like he did you and maybe he will get a clue.

Doubt it, besides, then I wouldn't catch fish! Run & gun is fine when fish are very active, but post-spawn fish midday are less so. Relearning a lake requires a methodical approach which means knowing the shallows and deeper water structure - something of which he is clueless (never watches the fish finder on the bow.)

He is a likable guy and gets excited like a little kid when he catches even small fish (guess I'm the same way when I feel the strike). I've trained him how to use light lures, how to retrieve them and search water - which helps both in locating fish. But we went fishless for long periods of time because of bad boating - not poor technique. I like fishing with him in my boat and will continue to do so, just not in his boat.

Try riding along with a pro in an Open you will come to appreciate your buddy!! Lol

When I fished tournaments as a newbie to bass fishing I do remembering fishing with a boater like that, remembering what he did to make sure I lost the only decent bass caught that day. I found excuses not to fish future tournaments with him per luck-of-the-draw. Other non-boaters also did not like fishing from his boat nor with a buddy just like him who I also had the unfortunate experience of fishing with.

White perch
[Linked Image]
Very aggressive fish! The lake is overpopulated with them. Too bad the club won't have perch tournaments and get rid of some rather than bass tournaments on the lake where delayed mortality in summer is higher.

That ain't a White Perch.

GOD is good!
Re: How do you tell your partner he stinks as a boater [Re: SenkoSam] #14026173 06/09/21 06:24 PM
S
SoonerDG Online Sick
Extreme Angler
Online Sick
Extreme Angler
S
How much time has your friend spent running the front of the boat. Boat control isn't a skill that most people are born with. Seems to me a better approach might be to keep fishing from his boat and let him develop his skills as a boater.

"Life is a matter of luck and the odds of success are in no way enhanced by extreme caution." - Erich Topp, German U-boat Commander, 1943.

When in doubt, set the hook.
Re: How do you tell your partner he stinks as a boater [Re: SenkoSam] #14026262 06/09/21 07:34 PM
G
grout-scout Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
G
Partners don’t have to tell me that I suck, I already know it!

Re: How do you tell your partner he stinks as a boater [Re: SenkoSam] #14029864 06/12/21 09:11 PM
T
Techfisher Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
During my time here in Okie land I have fished with several boaters. Guys I work with ,etc. They all claim to be big time fisherman and tournament guys, blah,blah,blah. I never fished with any of them twice. When one asked me why I told him point blank that I had gone with him to LEARN how to boat fish seeing as I didn't own a boat. Acted like he was doing me a favor. And that is why I don't even bother asking anyone to go with them. Most are over impressed with themselves, it's more an old boys club around here. Reminds me of a high school clique and I'm way past that kind of silly bullsh**. So before I retire I will buy myself a boat and not bother anyone by asking to go fishing. Much easier to not deal with the ego's and pettiness I've seen around here in Oklahoma with some bass fisherman.

The one guy I would go fishing with again lives in Texas....Hopalong...:) So he will be welcome to come down to Florida anytime and fish with me....and I'll buy the steaks and beer...:)

Re: How do you tell your partner he stinks as a boater [Re: SenkoSam] #14029879 06/12/21 09:41 PM
U
uncle_bagster Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
U
Show up at the launch ramp wearing a king-sized life vest, and flare pistols strapped on each hip.

Re: How do you tell your partner he stinks as a boater [Re: SenkoSam] #14030035 06/13/21 12:46 AM
S
Slide_R Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
I'm not sure your guy is the problem, every suggestion made has been rejected by you with an excuse about why you are right. Your way is not the only way to fish, if you tried to adapt to his way and fish methods compatible with his style you might learn some new things yourself. Its funny because there are some very good fisherman that cover alot of water and do very well.

I have fished with guys that make every effort to keep their backseat boater in fishable water, that is then best scenario. I have also had trouble with partners that could not stand that they were being outfished...the saddest part was we were tournament partners and the end sack is the only result that mattered. It is their boat and they get to be in charge of the way it gets positioned and fished. If you don't like it then don't go.

Robert Oleson
aka Slide_R

Re: How do you tell your partner he stinks as a boater [Re: SenkoSam] #14030105 06/13/21 02:02 AM
J
JCBfromTHF Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J
Most people that fish with me are just happy to have someone else running the trolling motor. If someone in the back seat starts telling me how to run my boat they probably wont get another invite.

Re: How do you tell your partner he stinks as a boater [Re: SenkoSam] #14030146 06/13/21 02:52 AM
J
Jake Blood Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
J
Be happy you got someone to fish with... its fishing... let me repeat that.. IT IS FISHING... Let that sink in. Relax and stop being so arrogant...

Re: How do you tell your partner he stinks as a boater [Re: SenkoSam] #14031813 06/14/21 07:01 PM
L
lconn4 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
L
Just smile real big and ask, "are you going to front end me all day"? If he's a real friend, he will laugh, and put you on fish. Or maybe just bring a big anchor and threaten to throw it out the back when you see a spot you want him to slow down.

A good rule of angling philosophy is not to interfere with another fisherman's ways of being happy, unless you want to be hated.
Zane Grey, Tales of Fishes, 1919

https://vimeo.com/73372194
https://vimeo.com/72859045

Re: How do you tell your partner he stinks as a boater [Re: SoonerDG] #14032444 06/15/21 10:06 AM
S
SenkoSam Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
S
Originally Posted by SoonerDG
How much time has your friend spent running the front of the boat. Boat control isn't a skill that most people are born with. Seems to me a better approach might be to keep fishing from his boat and let him develop his skills as a boater.

You got the idea! He rarely uses his boat (for some reason) and rarely fishes with someone aboard - no one from our 300 member club fishes with him. Our catch rate is far lower from his 18' Alumacraft with a 50hp motor than my 12' Jon boat with only a trolling motor.

He is not Kevin VanDam when it comes to power fishing. "Anyone can fish fast, but can they do it efficiently?" I fished bass tournaments for 5 years, found out how to power fish learned from more experienced partners and what lures and presentations to use to accomplish that. My guy is not proficient using a wide variety of lures and only fishes with small jigs and plastics. Small jigs can not cover water efficiently when not targeting areas in cover, over cover, in deep water nor over structure - which requires monitoring the sonar ever so often. I sold my bass boat this year deciding I preferred, at my age, slowing down and getting to know even better the 8+ local waters I've fished for over 30 years.

In spring we caught over 100 fish on two outings from my boat as compared to 35 fish on the last outing in the same lake from his boat. (He is reluctant to take his boat out of storage early in the year.) In fact all trips on my boat on 3 different lakes until recently ended up with us catching over 50 fish per angler with the best day of 196 fish caught between the two of us. Key was finding fish and stopping to maximize catches when large groups or schools of fish were found shallow or in open water over deeper bottoms. Even fishing open water over bottom structure requires covering as much water as possible with many casts around the boat, with the boat stopping every 50' or so.

Guess some of you just can't get it whereas others know exactly what I'm trying to get across.

Last edited by SenkoSam; 06/15/21 10:25 AM.
Re: How do you tell your partner he stinks as a boater [Re: SenkoSam] #14032457 06/15/21 10:43 AM
P
P_102 Offline
Angler
Angler
P
When the two of you go out, what fish are you targeting? (Bass, crappie, etc.). It sounds very much like you are targeting ‘whatever will bite’ and your partner might be more interested in looking for something specific or maybe of better quality.

Re: How do you tell your partner he stinks as a boater [Re: P_102] #14032496 06/15/21 11:59 AM
S
SenkoSam Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
S
He prefers panfish. I want to see what bites my modified lures or those I design myself regardless the species. When I fish by myself I take gear for bass and gear for panfish; fishing with him I go light so as not to have to fight big fish caught in heavy cover. He is good using light lures having learned a thing or two from me since last year. Too bad boat control wasn't one of them. We might go fishing again this Fri (but only from my boat from now on). Together we up the odds 2x of finding fish and discovering patterns. (Besides, he does bring some nice snacks along to munch on between fish!)

Re: How do you tell your partner he stinks as a boater [Re: SenkoSam] #14032655 06/15/21 02:50 PM
C
COFF Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
C
For a guy asking for advise, you sure do seem to have a lot of answers.

Re: How do you tell your partner he stinks as a boater [Re: SenkoSam] #14032863 06/15/21 05:45 PM
B
Bayou Burner Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
B
WWRRD?

"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

John Wayne

ADHAERO VIRTUTI
Re: How do you tell your partner he stinks as a boater [Re: SenkoSam] #14033075 06/15/21 08:57 PM
H
Holzer Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
H
What lake? I like catching those kind of white perch.

Holzer
My pic is gone frown
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide