Print Thread
Dock Shootin’ Questions? ? ? #14022197 06/06/21 01:49 AM
J
Jezreel Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
J
Ok Guys. . . I am back on the water with a nice pedal kayak. Cedar Creek Lake is convenient and so I went today to try the bridges and some dock shooting. Bridges were a bust, so I went to the docks. I go from one dock to the next and get nothing. I did get one bite that was a Good one, but didn’t get the hook set. Even when I had my boat, I never did any good dock shooting. I watch plenty of guys on YouTube doing it, but I never have the same result. Anyway, here are some questions.

- Is there a better time of year than another to hit the docks?
- Is late spring and summer good. . . I would assume the shade in the summer would be good, but the water still might be too warm in 6’ even though it’s in the shade.
- I was using primarily a 1/16oz jig head. Ever so often trying a 1/8oz.
- Is there a certain thing I need to look for in a dock that might hold the fish better.

I think those questions will get me started. I just don’t know why a good sunny day like today didn’t have any crappie under the docks.

Thanks guys.

Re: Dock Shootin’ Questions? ? ? [Re: Jezreel] #14022205 06/06/21 01:59 AM
K
KidKrappie Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
I dock shoot from my native slayer so I hope I can help. From my experience, now is past the best time to dock shoot. Typically April and may are prime months. Right now, they are on deeper docks and just in less docks than they were in April. I would not even stop on a dock right now without it having at least 8-10 ft of depth under it. Water gets hot and they only get on deeper docks (not many on cedar creek). I only use a 1/16th oz jig head when dock shooting. Most hit it on the fall and the lighter jig head gives it more fall time and more time to get bit. I like docks with big decks. The bigger the deck, the more shade and more chance for it to hold a school of crappie. I typically catch fish under the decks and not so much around the boat slip part. I hope this helps!

Re: Dock Shootin’ Questions? ? ? [Re: Jezreel] #14022440 06/06/21 12:43 PM
J
Jezreel Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
J
Ahaaaaaaa. . . Yeah, I was thinking the water may be too warm. Thanks for the info.

Re: Dock Shootin’ Questions? ? ? [Re: KidKrappie] #14022490 06/06/21 01:50 PM
P
PKfishin Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
P
Try to find the wet slips that are used without a Yacht in it and no lift. Fish love the shade. If you park in the wet slip and it's a good one your fish finder will light up with fish at different depths. If you don't see fish you gotta move. At PK in summer I see Crappie at 25-40 feet. I fish for these guys same way as on a bridge with a barrel sinker above a swivel with Fluorocarbon leader to jig or minnow. I drop it down below them and slowly bring it through the school stopping for 7-10 seconds every crank.

John 21:3 Simon Peter saith unto them, I go a fishing. They say unto him, We also go with thee.
Re: Dock Shootin’ Questions? ? ? [Re: KidKrappie] #14022589 06/06/21 03:47 PM
S
Slewfoot Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
Originally Posted by fishin'aholic2
I dock shoot from my native slayer so I hope I can help. From my experience, now is past the best time to dock shoot. Typically April and may are prime months. Right now, they are on deeper docks and just in less docks than they were in April. I would not even stop on a dock right now without it having at least 8-10 ft of depth under it. Water gets hot and they only get on deeper docks (not many on cedar creek). I only use a 1/16th oz jig head when dock shooting. Most hit it on the fall and the lighter jig head gives it more fall time and more time to get bit. I like docks with big decks. The bigger the deck, the more shade and more chance for it to hold a school of crappie. I typically catch fish under the decks and not so much around the boat slip part. I hope this helps!

That’s pretty solid advice right there!! Had a couple kiddos on the boat the other day and they wanted to reel so we left the timber and I would shoot a jig in there and let them reel it back slowly and they put 15-20 in the cooler that way! We finally got them satisfied playing with the minnows and I got grandpa back in the timber to finish up the trip! If your new to dock shooting pick up some thump chubbies from Constant Pursuit Outfitters. Shadow boy. White hot and ghost minnow are my favorites. They skip better than anything I’ve seen and can help you get back under the docks farther!

Re: Dock Shootin’ Questions? ? ? [Re: Jezreel] #14024670 06/08/21 03:28 PM
ERNEST PATY Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
I agree with the above. But, Cedar creek has a lot of shallow docks but only a few deep ones that are scattered.

I may only fish 10-15 docks per outing and will usually catch lots from most of them but they may be scattered over 5 miles of shoreline. Tough to do in a kayak. I spent many days locating the deeper and productive ones.

Ernest Paty 214-202-7866
catchcrappie@aol.com

Re: Dock Shootin’ Questions? ? ? [Re: ERNEST PATY] #14027665 06/10/21 07:39 PM
T
TR176 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by ERNEST PATY
I agree with the above. But, Cedar creek has a lot of shallow docks but only a few deep ones that are scattered.

I may only fish 10-15 docks per outing and will usually catch lots from most of them but they may be scattered over 5 miles of shoreline. Tough to do in a kayak. I spent many days locating the deeper and productive ones.

I started somewhere south of the spillway and worked north up the west side checking docks near points. I found about 10-12 deep docks that held fish and marked those.
I most cases I only caught 2-3 fish per dock but added up that’s a nice stringer. I’m sure I covered 3-4 miles or more. With a little effort over time it gets easier to spot docks worth checking.

Re: Dock Shootin’ Questions? ? ? [Re: TR176] #14031975 06/14/21 09:04 PM
K
KidKrappie Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
Originally Posted by TR176
Originally Posted by ERNEST PATY

I started somewhere south of the spillway and worked north up the west side checking docks near points. I found about 10-12 deep docks that held fish and marked those.
I most cases I only caught 2-3 fish per dock but added up that’s a nice stringer. I’m sure I covered 3-4 miles or more. With a little effort over time it gets easier to spot docks worth checking.

That is exactly how it is there this time of year. I would go through 2 tanks of gas when I had the boat and would maybe have 15 nice fish to show for it. Would only catch a couple per dock. Now April and May are completely different stories.

Re: Dock Shootin’ Questions? ? ? [Re: Jezreel] #14032502 06/15/21 12:14 PM
R
RoscoeHjr Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
R
This time of year I look for structure around 15 feet on channel bends, creek mouths, and saddles. If I find them near docks with structure, I can usually catch them on the docks early in the morning. They will bounce from deep to shallow structure after a mild night.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide