Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Lake Levels #14024513 06/08/21 01:36 PM
Catfish Tim Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Time to start building the ark fellas...

This morning at 5:00 AM Lavon is at 501.62 which is 9.62 feet above full pool. It is still 1.38 below the mark for flood pool. But 9 feet high is blown out as far as fishing is concerned. The shallows are gone. Unless you have an air boat. You can't get to any. What would normally be shallow is 15 feet plus. I think this is good for the fish, especially for the spawning fish because they can get back in cover that offers good protection for the fry. I think my only option for fishing is the sand bass pattern. I am seeing the fish up against the wind blown points right where they should be. I will be out there pulling baits through that biomass and we'll see what we can get. Last week when I was out after the rain I was watching small schools of shad surfacing and running all over the lake. They were small targets and moving way too fast to throw at. Something I hadn't seen before. Anyone know what they were up to? They were not being chased. There was no sign of feeding predators with them.

Looking at the calendar, we are already a week into June and I think the spawn started a week or so early this year. Meaning by the 4th of July, we should start seeing hungry blues everywhere. Last July when the post spawn bite fired up, we had one of our best days ever. We boated 4 fish between 25 and 35 (two of them were 33) plus several in the teens. I'm looking forward to that bite turning on...

Lake level chart
[Linked Image]

Couple pics from the post spawn bite last year. These were July 23rd, 2020. My grandson Billy.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Catfish Tim
๐ŸŸ๐ŸŸ"If it doesn't have whiskers, it's just bait"๐ŸŸ๐ŸŸ
Romans 8:1

Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: Lake Levels [Re: Catfish Tim] #14024667 06/08/21 03:24 PM
๐Ÿ€El Gato Azul๐Ÿ€ Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
The sandbass pattern is going strong Tim. If you and Wyatt want to come fish with me and Jax Iโ€™d be happy to take yโ€™all out anytime. You can fish this patterns on most of our North Texas Fisheries. Just try and pick a day with good wind or clouds. Edges, ledges, points, and humps. Any type of ambush structure in 15-35ft can produce. If the group your on doesnโ€™t want to bite then keep moving and find a different group. There are going to be fishable groups all over the lake this time of year and the main thing working against you is the clock. They usually turn off by 10:30-11 am unless there are good clouds, rain and/or wind which weโ€™ve had plenty of lately.

The threadfin are moving back out after their spawn. The sandbass as well as every other species of fish in the lake will be following them around like puppy dogs. They will be using that mid depth structure to corral and ambush threads for the next month Tim and then they move out into open water and go pelagic. When I see threadfin on the surface itโ€™s 1 of 3 things. They try and warm up early spring and will come to the top to sun. Im gonna go out on a limb and say they werenโ€™t sunning. #2 is they are being harassed by predators and will flip on the surface trying to get away. You said they werenโ€™t being predated and flipping so Iโ€™m going to eliminate that one. The 3rd is Threadfin like to travel and feed on the surface at dusk and dawn. Plankton and phytoplankton will rise to the surface and the Shad will โ€œsipโ€ on them. I see it a lot but occasionally when the conditions are right (cloudy light wind) you can see them all over the lake every 50 ft even mid day and afternoons. If the Shad werenโ€™t flipping then they were probably sipping.

As far as the spawn goes? I love ya amigo but Iโ€™m gonna have to disagree on the early spawn. Weโ€™re a good 3 weeks behind on the spawn this year as the lakes are just now getting over 75 from all the cool rain. Lake has been flooded which makes everything move up around that flooded vegetation or up into the creeks. With all that flooded vegetation on every stretch of shore itโ€™s hard to decide where to fish since there is so much of it. I struggled with that for years and wasnโ€™t until I became experienced on side image sonar that I got that part of my game ironed out. When the toads come off their beds there is about a 1-2 week window where you can catch some during the day but 95% of the big fish will be feeding nocturnally when they come off their beds until October. The major exception is a summer storm and when we get them you know where I will be and thatโ€™s your best shot at catching something big during the day in the summer.

As the Mighty Azul peers into the magic crystal ball, I see a side image sonar with a 12โ€ screen in Catfish Timโ€™s future! ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ๐Ÿ”ฎ

Last edited by ๐ŸŒŠEl Gato Azul๐ŸŒŠ; 06/08/21 03:26 PM.

There is a fine line between fishing and floating around like an idiot!!
texas Check out out my YouTube channel El Gato Azul TV texas
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg0aV-uOxzxKxeqFFfREzKg
โš“๏ธโš“๏ธโš“๏ธโš“๏ธ Home of little boys holding big catfish! โš“๏ธโš“๏ธโš“๏ธโš“๏ธ
Re: Lake Levels [Re: ๐Ÿ€El Gato Azul๐Ÿ€] #14024823 06/08/21 05:50 PM
Catfish Tim Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by ๐ŸŒŠEl Gato Azul๐ŸŒŠ
The sandbass pattern is going strong Tim. If you and Wyatt want to come fish with me and Jax Iโ€™d be happy to take yโ€™all out anytime. You can fish this patterns on most of our North Texas Fisheries. Just try and pick a day with good wind or clouds. Edges, ledges, points, and humps. Any type of ambush structure in 15-35ft can produce. If the group your on doesnโ€™t want to bite then keep moving and find a different group. There are going to be fishable groups all over the lake this time of year and the main thing working against you is the clock. They usually turn off by 10:30-11 am unless there are good clouds, rain and/or wind which weโ€™ve had plenty of lately.

The threadfin are moving back out after their spawn. The sandbass as well as every other species of fish in the lake will be following them around like puppy dogs. They will be using that mid depth structure to corral and ambush threads for the next month Tim and then they move out into open water and go pelagic. When I see threadfin on the surface itโ€™s 1 of 3 things. They try and warm up early spring and will come to the top to sun. Im gonna go out on a limb and say they werenโ€™t sunning. #2 is they are being harassed by predators and will flip on the surface trying to get away. You said they werenโ€™t being predated and flipping so Iโ€™m going to eliminate that one. The 3rd is Threadfin like to travel and feed on the surface at dusk and dawn. Plankton and phytoplankton will rise to the surface and the Shad will โ€œsipโ€ on them. I see it a lot but occasionally when the conditions are right (cloudy light wind) you can see them all over the lake every 50 ft even mid day and afternoons. If the Shad werenโ€™t flipping then they were probably sipping.

As far as the spawn goes? I love ya amigo but Iโ€™m gonna have to disagree on the early spawn. Weโ€™re a good 3 weeks behind on the spawn this year as the lakes are just now getting over 75 from all the cool rain. Lake has been flooded which makes everything move up around that flooded vegetation or up into the creeks. With all that flooded vegetation on every stretch of shore itโ€™s hard to decide where to fish since there is so much of it. I struggled with that for years and wasnโ€™t until I became experienced on side image sonar that I got that part of my game ironed out. When the toads come off their beds there is about a 1-2 week window where you can catch some during the day but 95% of the big fish will be feeding nocturnally when they come off their beds until October. The major exception is a summer storm and when we get them you know where I will be and thatโ€™s your best shot at catching something big during the day in the summer.

As the Mighty Azul peers into the magic crystal ball, I see a side image sonar with a 12โ€ screen in Catfish Timโ€™s future! ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ๐Ÿ”ฎ

Okay brother there is a lot of knowledge to digest here and I don't want to miss anything... Here goes...

I have always been hard on myself about not having enough patience so I tend to sit in one place longer than I should. I am going to run the sandbass pattern but with more of a stick and move attitude until I find the active group. Wyatt and I are always out early so I should have time to get on em.

I think you hit the surfacing shad spot on. This was right after the rain, the water was slick, dead flat calm and there was still heavy cloud cover from morning rains.

It is hard to disagree with you about the rain this last month but I was seeing water temps in the mid 70s before during and after the rain. But... I might just be looking at my glass being more than 1/2 full. I hope we are not three weeks behind. I have seen the catch rate slowdown as it does when they go on the nest, at about the same time (maybe a smidge early) as they usually do. I would like to do a comparison between Lavon and Lewisville in terms of size, depth, etc. to understand if things work different at all between the two bodies of water. I know in general, lake to lake things are aligned by the weather and the season but what makes them different?

I need to do more summer time night fishing. I am an early bird and much prefer sunrise to sunset. I need to work on that and get out there at night to get on the nocturnal bite.

Now, as for the prognostications of the great and powerful El Gato Azul...a picture is worth a thousand words... Below is my wishlist for upgrades this winter/next spring

I'm going to add the Elite 9 FS. I don't have $4,000 for an HDS 12 but I think this is as close as I'm gonna get. I will have down scan and side scan. And I am really looking forward to using this along with the shallow water anchors to up my shallow water game. Lastly, I'm ready to trade in my dumb trolling motor for a smart one integrated with my chart so I can work those edges ledges points and humps more effectively.

I love learning and getting better at this. This shows me I still have a long long way to go.

Chris, I want to get on the water with you soon. But I want to figure this sandbass pattern out for myself. It's a pride thing. Text me and lets talk about setting up a time for Wyatt and I to come over to Lewisville...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Catfish Tim; 06/08/21 05:52 PM.

Catfish Tim

Re: Lake Levels [Re: Catfish Tim] #14024869 06/08/21 06:24 PM
T
TRH (formerly xpress00) Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Catfish Tim - looking at your wishlist... what size/type boat are you running? And since it's a wish list right now, I would add a 2nd pole just in case that wish becomes reality. Night and day between 1 and 2 poles.

Re: Lake Levels [Re: Catfish Tim] #14024923 06/08/21 07:12 PM
F
Fishin' Nut Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
F
Go with a 24v Ulterra and 9" Humminbird, and skip the power poles. My Ulterra has held me in place for up to 10 hours (depending on current). I have never anchored on a spot shallow enough for power poles to ever deploy. Again, just offering an opinion on what works for me. I know the Tennessee River is different than Lake Lavon. I can be 20' from shore and the depth is 35 feet.

Originally Posted by OTFF
He is truly a sick individual.
Re: Lake Levels [Re: Catfish Tim] #14025323 06/09/21 12:36 AM
Z
z289sec Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Z
I agree about the delayed spawn for kitties. When all this rain first started, they were just starting to move to a pre spawn pattern (on the lake I frequent anyway), then they got really scattered again, as did the shad. The shad spawn is just about closing out, or may already be done. Haven't been out in a boat for a week.

As far as a fish finder goes, I love my Elite TI2 12 inch, but they don't make them anymore. A 9 inch is definitely the smallest screen I'd want to use, since running multiple screens makes them much harder to see. Now way I'd spend the money for a power pole setup. I have two 1 inch PVC 10 foot stake out poles, and they hold my pontoon in place with ease, and with the carabineers, and rings, they cost me 50 bucks. I run a 12V 55lb Powerdrive, with I pilot. But, if I had it to do all over again, I would go with a 24V minimum. In a stiff wind using the trolling motor to troll, uses up battery power a little faster than I would like.

Last edited by z289sec; 06/09/21 12:38 AM.
Re: Lake Levels [Re: TRH (formerly xpress00)] #14025725 06/09/21 12:48 PM
Catfish Tim Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by TRH (formerly xpress00)
Catfish Tim - looking at your wishlist... what size/type boat are you running? And since it's a wish list right now, I would add a 2nd pole just in case that wish becomes reality. Night and day between 1 and 2 poles.

I have a Tracker V 16. I will definitely be getting 2 power poles.

Catfish Tim

Re: Lake Levels [Re: Fishin' Nut] #14025731 06/09/21 12:51 PM
Catfish Tim Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by Fishin' Nut
Go with a 24v Ulterra and 9" Humminbird, and skip the power poles. My Ulterra has held me in place for up to 10 hours (depending on current). I have never anchored on a spot shallow enough for power poles to ever deploy. Again, just offering an opinion on what works for me. I know the Tennessee River is different than Lake Lavon. I can be 20' from shore and the depth is 35 feet.

I love fishing the Tennessee River. I envy you there. I am not a fan of the Hummingbird gear. I've always been a Lowrance guy. It's a bit of a Ford vs Chevy thing I think. They all do what they do. I guess I just started out with one and haven't had a reason to change...

Catfish Tim

Re: Lake Levels [Re: Catfish Tim] #14025741 06/09/21 12:59 PM
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/humminbird-helix-12-chirp-gps-g4n-fish-finder-chartplotter

Go big or go home Tim. I would spend your doe on the graph and hold off on the power pole. Your going to wish you bought a bigger screen if you get a 9โ€ I guarantee it. You loose a ton of pixelation on the smaller units. Not really an issue for guys that are casual fisherman but for as much as you fish your gonna wish you bought at least a 10โ€ screen. Fish identification becomes much more difficult on a smaller screen. The biggest difference is on eye strain. You get a ton more eye strain with a smaller unit and when you graph as much as I do the difference is massive. When I fish on my buddies boats with smaller units my bell is rung after squinting at that small screen all day. Anyone who has run both a small and a large screen will tell you the difference is substantial. I know they cost an arm and a leg but they will save your old man eyeballs and will make spending half the day graphing much more enjoyable.

Also go with the 24v trolling motor.

Iโ€™m a humminbird guy since 1991,

Last edited by ๐ŸŒŠEl Gato Azul๐ŸŒŠ; 06/09/21 01:08 PM.

โš“๏ธโš“๏ธโš“๏ธโš“๏ธ Home of little boys holding big catfish! โš“๏ธโš“๏ธโš“๏ธโš“๏ธ
Re: Lake Levels [Re: ๐Ÿ€El Gato Azul๐Ÿ€] #14025766 06/09/21 01:11 PM
Catfish Tim Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by ๐ŸŒŠEl Gato Azul๐ŸŒŠ
https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/humminbird-helix-12-chirp-gps-g4n-fish-finder-chartplotter

Go big or go home Tim. I would spend your doe on the graph and hold off on the power pole. Your going to wish you bought a bigger screen if you get a 9โ€ I guarantee it. You loose a ton of pixelation on the smaller units. Not really an issue for guys that are casual fisherman but for as much as you fish your gonna wish you bought at least a 10โ€ screen. Fish identification becomes much more difficult on a smaller screen. The biggest difference is on eye strain. You get a ton more eye strain with a smaller unit and when you graph as much as I do the difference is massive. When I fish on my buddies boats with smaller units my bell is rung after squinting at that small screen all day. Anyone who has run both a small and a large screen will tell you the difference is substantial. I know they cost an arm and a leg but they will save your old man eyeballs and will make spending half the day graphing much more enjoyable.

Also go with the 24v trolling motor.

I
My eyesight sucks to begin with. The 7 inch Elite TI I have now is bare bones minimum. I would love to get an HDS 12. We will have to see where the bonus comes in next year and go from there. I could swing the 12 if I skip the power poles. If I get a good spot lock out of my trolling motor, maybe I can wait on the power poles...

Decisions decisions...

Catfish Tim

Re: Lake Levels [Re: Catfish Tim] #14025774 06/09/21 01:15 PM
Catfish Tim Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
I just told my wife the HDS 12 would be less money overall if I didn't get the power poles... She rolled her eyes at me. That's a good sign. dance2

[Linked Image]

Catfish Tim

Re: Lake Levels [Re: Catfish Tim] #14025832 06/09/21 01:48 PM
T
TRH (formerly xpress00) Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Tracker V16 is the deep v right? If it were me, I'd opt for the 60 inch shaft. Worst thing is trying to spot lock and the TM coming up out of the water. also, keep in mind, the poles are more useful than just sticking in the ground. wink

Re: Lake Levels [Re: TRH (formerly xpress00)] #14025924 06/09/21 02:39 PM
Catfish Tim Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by TRH (formerly xpress00)
Tracker V16 is the deep v right? If it were me, I'd opt for the 60 inch shaft. Worst thing is trying to spot lock and the TM coming up out of the water. also, keep in mind, the poles are more useful than just sticking in the ground. wink

I have a Minn Kota now with a 54" shaft and it does fine. I think the 60 might be a little more than she needs...

Catfish Tim

Re: Lake Levels [Re: Catfish Tim] #14025926 06/09/21 02:40 PM
Catfish Tim Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
I do think that a 24 Volt is in order though...

Catfish Tim

Re: Lake Levels [Re: Catfish Tim] #14025936 06/09/21 02:45 PM
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
We think the same way Tim. Itโ€™s all about laying that groundwork at my house before the building starts. When I want something I know my wife is going to resist I do lots of groundwork and let her think it was her idea. My eyes arenโ€™t what they used to be honey, this tiny screen is destroying my old eyeballs. Man that Bay Boat looks like a fun/safe family boat! I bet they stay out in that all day! Look at that family under that T-top, man it would be nice to be able to get out of the sun!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide