Forums59
Topics1,038,925
Posts13,955,529
Members144,183
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
TPWD to Eliminate Other Methods State Record Category Removing Over 100 State Records from Their Website #14020731 06/04/21 02:30 PM
O
Osbornfishing Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
O
Texas Parks and Wildlife posted the following on their record page:

“Starting June 1, 2021, the State Record Other Methods award category is undergoing a transition to be replaced by a State Record All-Tackle award category (largest fish by species caught by any legal means). Any application received after June 1 will now be considered for the State Record All-Tackle category, if applicable. No previous records for the State Record Other Methods category will be revoked. However, once the transition is completed, the listing for State Records Other Methods category will no longer be displayed.”

When the All-Tackle category is created, Rod and Reel and Bowfishing Records will overwrite the Other Methods records and they will be removed. If you have Other Methods state records, you may want to print a copy of the page, since the above action will remove them from display and other anglers will not be able to see the records.

Re: TPWD to Eliminate Other Methods State Record Category Removing Over 100 State Records from Their Website [Re: Osbornfishing] #14021007 06/04/21 06:06 PM
T
TXMulti-Species Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Unfortunate! I always liked seeing the variety of fish caught with different methods. TPWD should take pride in having one of if not the best and most thorough record system for fish.

Catch and release. The dream - to catch one of every species of Freshwater fish in our great state! If only I can resist Carp...
https://txmultispecies.imgur.com/
[Linked Image]
Re: TPWD to Eliminate Other Methods State Record Category Removing Over 100 State Records from Their Website [Re: TXMulti-Species] #14021153 06/04/21 08:32 PM
banker-always fishing Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Originally Posted by TXMulti-Species
Unfortunate! I always liked seeing the variety of fish caught with different methods. TPWD should take pride in having one of if not the best and most thorough record system for fish.

Plus #1. cheers

TPWD is still the BEST! thumb

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: TPWD to Eliminate Other Methods State Record Category Removing Over 100 State Records from Their Website [Re: banker-always fishing] #14024252 06/08/21 02:21 AM
BigDozer66 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by banker-always fishing
Originally Posted by TXMulti-Species

Plus #1. cheers

TPWD is still the BEST! thumb

cheers

2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO (VF115LA) SS Prop
Minn Kota Ultrex i-Pilot Link 45" 80 lb.
Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI BalZout Console
Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI BBT Bow Mount
Trick Step

[Linked Image]
Re: TPWD to Eliminate Other Methods State Record Category Removing Over 100 State Records from Their Website [Re: Osbornfishing] #14043206 06/25/21 06:46 PM
O
Osbornfishing Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
O
I agree that Texas still has the best records system. I do hate to see someone’s state record removed, especially for junior anglers. I know how much effort it takes to get a state record. The new all-tackle category will basically be a repeat of the rod and reel and bow fishing records. I am not sure how records will be evaluated during the “transition” period.

Re: TPWD to Eliminate Other Methods State Record Category Removing Over 100 State Records from Their Website [Re: Osbornfishing] #14043357 06/25/21 09:35 PM
L
Lone_Wolf Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
Clear as mud, what does this mean???

Re: TPWD to Eliminate Other Methods State Record Category Removing Over 100 State Records from Their Website [Re: Lone_Wolf] #14043380 06/25/21 10:03 PM
O
Osbornfishing Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
O
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolf
Clear as mud, what does this mean???

It is complicated, but basically if you look on the TPWD state record site there is currently an Other Methods category (records for cane pole, handline, trotline, jug line, pole and line, etc.) that will be removed from the page. So 90% of those records, many that have been on the books for decades, will be removed.

Re: TPWD to Eliminate Other Methods State Record Category Removing Over 100 State Records from Their Website [Re: Osbornfishing] #14057563 07/10/21 04:48 AM
W
wh2004 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
W
I’m not even upset at this. I believe a record should be the largest fish caught in the state. Not some obscure other methods way that almost no one goes after so a small fish gets the award.

Re: TPWD to Eliminate Other Methods State Record Category Removing Over 100 State Records from Their Website [Re: Osbornfishing] #14057650 07/10/21 12:54 PM
Jimbo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I see the move as creating apathy among anglers as saying, "why bother?"

Just one more cast!

Re: TPWD to Eliminate Other Methods State Record Category Removing Over 100 State Records from Their Website [Re: wh2004] #14057699 07/10/21 01:39 PM
L
Laker One Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
L
Originally Posted by wh2004
I’m not even upset at this. I believe a record should be the largest fish caught in the state. Not some obscure other methods way that almost no one goes after so a small fish gets the award.

I personally do not go after records, however I like seeing the local water body records posted at the places I fish. Gives me something to go after in my mind. I just love to fish. Could care less about records. The program that TPW has is the best in the State and they should keep making it better. As for eliminating some of it's State records, there has to be a reason for it.

Re: TPWD to Eliminate Other Methods State Record Category Removing Over 100 State Records from Their Website [Re: Osbornfishing] #14057714 07/10/21 01:47 PM
Bruce Allen Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
does that mean that a smallmouth buffalo or any other species shot by a bow will take precedent over a fish caught by rod and reel?.

Lake Fork Anglers
Every Thursday
Daytime Tournaments.

Lake Fork Sportsman's Association
www.lakeforksa.com/

We are VERY PROUD of our Induction into the
Texas Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame.

Re: TPWD to Eliminate Other Methods State Record Category Removing Over 100 State Records from Their Website [Re: Bruce Allen] #14057730 07/10/21 01:58 PM
Jimbo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Bruce Allen
does that mean that a smallmouth buffalo or any other species shot by a bow will take precedent over a fish caught by rod and reel?.

Where is the cutoff, and who decides which record is more deserving?
Sounds like the bean counters are cutting staffing, or the guy that records the records wants more time to surf the internet on company time.
BTW I'm not one who really seeks to catch a record fish, but I understand those that do!

Just one more cast!

Re: TPWD to Eliminate Other Methods State Record Category Removing Over 100 State Records from Their Website [Re: Bruce Allen] #14057738 07/10/21 02:11 PM
O
Osbornfishing Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
O
Originally Posted by Bruce Allen

TPWD gives preference to rod and reel, fly fishing, and bow fishing, and those categories will remain when the all-tackle category is created. Only the other methods category will be removed. The only way other methods fishing,(jug line, cane pole, spear fishing, etc.) will be able to get a record will be for them to get the biggest fish caught, beating all the other types of fishing. Another option would have been to just leave the other methods category and add an all-tackle category.

Re: TPWD to Eliminate Other Methods State Record Category Removing Over 100 State Records from Their Website [Re: wh2004] #14057770 07/10/21 02:37 PM
O
Osbornfishing Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
O
Originally Posted by Jimbo
I see the move as creating apathy among anglers as saying, "why bother?"

You will not be alone in this opinion.

Originally Posted by wh2004

There are lots of anglers that believe records should just be the largest fish. In reality there are no records, that I am aware of, that are for the biggest fish. All records are for the biggest fish, caught under a certain set of rules, maintained by the record keeping organization. For example, the IGFA it is the biggest fish caught by rod and reel, but only a rod and reel that meets strict qualifications, and only caught in a specific way.

The new Texas all-tackle category will result in listing the biggest fish, but only for the methods allowed, for example cast net fishing is excluded. But if you just want the biggest fish then the rod and reel category, fly fishing category, and bow fishing categories should be removed, like they are doing to the other methods category.

I know this is much more detail than most angler care about. Personally I have been involved in fishing for records for decades.and have invested a great deal of time in the pursuit of records. The current changes will remove a large number of my records, although TPWD indicates they will not be revoked. I will still have lots of state records remaining, but many angler, including junior anglers, will have there only state record removed by the change. Still Texas remains as the best robust record program in the United States.

Re: TPWD to Eliminate Other Methods State Record Category Removing Over 100 State Records from Their Website [Re: Osbornfishing] #14058471 07/11/21 01:16 PM
O
Osbornfishing Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
O
Here are a few of my Plnor (pole and line no reel) “small” Other Methods state records that will be removed. roflmao There are certainly many others that are small. However, by putting those records on the books, I was showing other anglers that by expanding their fishing views and techniques, they could also get a state record. With the change in the program, that option has mostly been eliminated.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide