Print Thread
***NEWB Help*** #14018817 06/02/21 08:02 PM
J
JAlderson Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
J
Im up here in Lubbock, new the the salt scene and have a trip planned down to Port A in mid July. I'm wanting to gear up for beach/ jetty/ shore fishing while down with the family. My questions are:

What gear do I need? Line size, bait, rig setups, etc. (Im wanting to buy a spinning rod and reel combo for when i come to the coast but nothing too fancy and also have a baitcast setup that I I can spare for Salt water fishing)

Can you fish from the beach (Cinnamon Shores area) and how best to do so when just hanging out at the beach with the family?

What are other must have accessories should I take with me or purchase down there that are a must have?

Thanks for any help you guys might have, Im not looking to take honey holes as this is once a year trips so PM me if you feel more comfortable but Im just trying to catch my first salt water fish (hopefully reds or trout) and maybe get my kids on some too.

Re: ***NEWB Help*** [Re: JAlderson] #14018852 06/02/21 08:40 PM
P
Pat Goff Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
P
What do you want to catch?
When the winds start to lay in July, your surf run trout and reds can be outstanding. Silver spoon, spook type topwater, 1/8 jig head with plastic will catch them all.

Plastics get used on spinning rods with 20# power pro tied direct to the jig. Topwater/spoons on the bait caster with 15# Ande back country.

Breaking dawn on a flat surf morning can be the most epic topwater action you'll ever experience.

Pat Goff
Seadrift TX
[Linked Image]
Re: ***NEWB Help*** [Re: Pat Goff] #14018881 06/02/21 09:12 PM
J
JAlderson Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
J
Originally Posted by Pat Goff
What do you want to catch?
When the winds start to lay in July, your surf run trout and reds can be outstanding. Silver spoon, spook type topwater, 1/8 jig head with plastic will catch them all.

Plastics get used on spinning rods with 20# power pro tied direct to the jig. Topwater/spoons on the bait caster with 15# Ande back country.

Breaking dawn on a flat surf morning can be the most epic topwater action you'll ever experience.

Thanks! Honestly Im looking to catch any and everything. I was going to go with a spider weight circle hook shrimp setup for live bait on the beach and throw around the others.
Am I reading that right? 20/15 Lb only? I thought I would need to get alot heavier for but again Im new to salt water.

Re: ***NEWB Help*** [Re: JAlderson] #14018932 06/02/21 10:21 PM
C
COFF Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
C
Are you going to play on the beach with the family and fish while you are there, or are you going for the purpose of fishing?

If fishing passively from the surf, you'd probably want a surf rod. Something 9' to 12' long with a 4000 or 5000 size reel. Fill the spool with 20 or 30# braid, and add double the rod length of 40# mono as a shock leader. For this type setup, you are likely going to use live or cut bait at or near the bottom. Personally, I am not a fan of the spider weights unless the current is really strong. On the beach you usually don't need it; around a pass you probably will. Instead of a spider weight, get a 2 or 3 oz pyramid weight. Rig it like a carolina rig (called fish finder for saltwater). If you find your bait keeps getting stolen with no bites it is likely crabs. Change your rig to a dropshot with the hook 18 to 24" above the weight.

You'll catch a lot of catfish this way, but also have a good chance at black drum, bull reds and a variety of sharks. You can play with the kids all day and just be ready to go grab your rod before it is pulled into the sea.

If you are going to fish and plan to have a rod in your hand all the time, then Pat's advice above is spot on. I personally prefer a mono leader on my braid, but that is not necessary at all. Your inshore fishing equipment is pretty similar to what you would need for bass fishing. If this is a 1-time trip, I would not hesitate at all to use a bass rod. Just wipe down the reel each evening, and spray off the rod guides with a hose and wipe them dry. If the reel gets dunked, then you need to dunk it in freshwater and wipe it down to dry.

Get a piece of 1.5" PVC pipe and cut it in half for a rod holder. Sink into the sand and it is your rod holder, and an anchor for your bait bucket.

Also, when passively fishing on the beach I like to have a 2nd rod handy with a zara spook or swimbait tied on. When birds start diving close to shore cast right into the middle of them. Not unreasonable to catch a fish every cast that way. But it won't last long. The birds (and fish!) will be there for a few minutes, and then they'll be gone.

Re: ***NEWB Help*** [Re: JAlderson] #14019779 06/03/21 06:53 PM
J
Jerry713 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Surf rod would be nice but is not necessary. Take Pat's advice you'll have a blast. Key is early. Go down the beach until you see bait popping the surface. Have a spook jr in bone tied on and you'll have a great time. If the waves are dancing a little it wouldn't hurt to have a 6th Sense Wake bait either live mullet or croaker color.

If later in the day you can soak dead shrimp/fishbites bait strips. Tip get you some bait wrap thread with the dispenser and wrap around your dead shrimp or the perch will eat it off immediately.

You get out of it what you put into it!
Re: ***NEWB Help*** [Re: JAlderson] #14019994 06/03/21 09:41 PM
J
JAlderson Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
J
Thanks so much for all yalls input input and help. Im saving this thread and getting a order ready so again thanks so much. A few questions:
How time is the morning or evening bite on?
Mid July is fishing during midday worth it?
How far out do i need to cast if I want to fish the beach?
Will a 8ft Spinning Salt water setup work for beach and Jetty fishing?
Can you cast net from the beach with success?
What preset up fishing rigs would you guys recommend?
Any recommendations on gloves for handling whatever I catch or will fishgrips and pliers be ok?

Thanks again for all your help!

Re: ***NEWB Help*** [Re: JAlderson] #14020061 06/03/21 10:32 PM
C
COFF Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
C
Originally Posted by JAlderson
Thanks so much for all yalls input input and help. Im saving this thread and getting a order ready so again thanks so much. A few questions:
How time is the morning or evening bite on? Sunrise for an hour or two is great. Other hot times are dependent more on tides than hours of the day.
Mid July is fishing during midday worth it? You bet. Any day/time can be dynamite. But any day/time can be a bust too. Hooded long sleeve fishing shirts are great.
How far out do i need to cast if I want to fish the beach? There are basically 2 sandbars, and 3 guts. You fish the guts, and fish can be found in all three. Big and toothy fish are generally found in the 3rd gut, about 125 yds from shore.
Will a 8ft Spinning Salt water setup work for beach and Jetty fishing? Absolutely. So will something smaller. Holding the big rigs all day while standing on the jetties may get tiring though.
Can you cast net from the beach with success? Yes. You can catch mullet and the odd shrimp and crabs.
What preset up fishing rigs would you guys recommend? None. Way too much money for rigs that are just going to get tangled up and hung on the bottom. Get a popping cork, circle hooks and some 1-3 oz weights. Learn to tie a fish finder and a dropper loop for, a double dropper rig.
Any recommendations on gloves for handling whatever I catch or will fishgrips and pliers be ok? Never used gloves, but as a general rule you want to keep you fingers out of the mouth of any fish you catch in the salt.

Thanks again for all your help!

Re: ***NEWB Help*** [Re: JAlderson] #14020597 06/04/21 12:37 PM
J
Jerry713 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
OP when fishing the surf the waves break over the sandbars COFF was talking about. So you want to cast into the areas between the waves which are the guts. Sometimes they're in the 1st gut and sometimes the 2nd gut. Fish em both.

A pair of fish grips or bogas is a good tool to have along with a pair of long needle nose pliers to get a buried hook out (of a fish).

If you want to buy a decent spinning reel set for this trip go to Walmart and get the Lew's Xfinity for under 40 bucks and buy the 2 year extended warranty for about 5 bucks. Then if it locks up they'll replace it. The Ugly Stick rods at Walmart aren't great by any stretch but I think you'd be surprised. They're not bad for 40 bucks.

You get out of it what you put into it!
Re: ***NEWB Help*** [Re: Jerry713] #14041086 06/23/21 05:37 PM
T
TroyKing Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
They have given you some invaluable information.... Let us know how you do

The driving force and secret desire of every bass fisherman, is to one day be a crappie fisherman............Could it be that the good Lord just smilies and looks the other way when a fisherman tells a lie?
Re: ***NEWB Help*** [Re: JAlderson] #14050326 07/02/21 05:54 PM
S
Spike7444 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
What a great read fullll of information.

I'm taking the wife down to Port A on the 8th - 12th of this month.

If you guys wouldn't mind answering one question for me, I would be forever grateful.

The wife wants to go to the beach and sun bathe / swim a little and of course I'm going to want to fish some.
Are you guys fishing on the beach next to all the other people swimming in the water and just putting your rod in the rod holder on the shore? Or is there a specific beach area down there that is best for this?

God Bless

PB: Lake Fork 11.9
Fishing is more than a hobby
Re: ***NEWB Help*** [Re: JAlderson] #14050390 07/02/21 06:47 PM
P
Pat Goff Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
P
Surf fishing *CAN* be good all day, but it's usually a daylight to 9:00 a.m. deal. In a ocean of the same, you look for small details that are different. Pods of mullet, especially working birds, current that looks different.

Remember the only thing a six pound trout fears, is out there deeper. Not many porpoises and five foot sharks living in knee deep water.

Pat Goff
Seadrift TX
[Linked Image]
Re: ***NEWB Help*** [Re: JAlderson] #14050426 07/02/21 07:28 PM
C
COFF Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
C
There may be areas of the public beach that are posted no fishing. Otherwise, it is really just a judgement call depending on how crowded it is in that particular area.

If you are going to wade fish, bring you sack of patience because beach goers will have no issues crowding all around you. And if you are using a rod holder, make sure you ease out far enough so you can cast at least past the first sandbar. That way there wonโ€™t be much risk in someone walking over a hook. Also, leave a chair out beside your rod holder to kind is claim some space around it.

Re: ***NEWB Help*** [Re: JAlderson] #14050436 07/02/21 07:39 PM
S
Spike7444 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
COFF,

Thanks for the tips.

I'll definitely look for any signs that say "no fishing" and try and stay as far away from people as I can.
I have no problem wading out as far as the first sand bar to cast out and then walking back to put the rod in the rod holder so maybe I'll have luck doing that.

I'll be sure to let you guys know how I do.
The place we are staying at apparently has a pier also so I guess I can try and fish off that too.

Last edited by Spike7444; 07/02/21 07:44 PM.

Re: ***NEWB Help*** [Re: JAlderson] #14060687 07/13/21 07:26 PM
S
Spike7444 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Just wanted to update yall on how I did.

Was only able to fish in the surf on the beach closer to the pass. Caught 1 whiting but had a few bites all on electric chicken fish bites using a pompano rig in first gut.

Water was pretty clear and could see all kinds of fish jumping and swimming but with as rough as it was in the surf it was a beating to even be out there.
I had a blast though and the beer was cold.

maybe this will help someone make a memory.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide