Print Thread
Page 6 of 20 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 19 20
Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #14008325 05/24/21 12:24 PM
F
FishTran Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
F
Does anyone know whether the rising water has caused some of the boat ramps to be closed?

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: FishTran] #14008380 05/24/21 01:26 PM
J
JWC Nauticstar Online Content
Angler
Online Content
Angler
J
https://gograpevine.com/grapevine-activities/boatramps/

Murrell high water ramp was open last week by what the COE website reads

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #14008470 05/24/21 02:30 PM
P
prosise Online Content OP
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Meadomere and Farris Branch ramp Google map link are good. When it goes really high Katy Woods ramp Google map Katy Woods ramp has a high water ramp that openes when the others close.

Fished from 5am to 8pm yesterday for the green fish. My day got started with a splash, found a floatie by meadomere in the bushes. Worked a long stretch of brush on the east bank of the main point, not one thing. Campers were up, saw a mom and little girl, and asked if they wanted the floatie. Depth miscalculation and I did a calibrated roll out of the boat. Phone flashed thru my head, but i always put it in the dry spot. Really tried early morning topwater, shallow spinnerbait, and some crankbait but high water really introduces some cover that they like. Fished deep, and caught some but no big ones. On alother note, I caught sandbass at every single spot I fished. 3xd, 6xd, 3/4oz jumbo spinnerbait, topwater, and Carolina rig all caught a sandbass. I ran into two gentlemen who had a couple of bites, told them to go down to murrell point. There were about 5 boats on it, i told them to come back in an hour if they didn't catch any and I would put them on fish. Never saw them again. Crappie! Are out in many areas. I have to say, them crappie are soft bites. You have to be paying attention, and don't set the hook. Caught about a dozen down below rhe hotel on the north side in 15ft of water on a single boulder. There was a mudline, and they were holding on a small piece of structure.. Finally stopped bass fishing at sunset and caught some sandies at the tip of meadomere out in open water.. Going out prob lunchtime, having outside AC swapped out so have to hang tight for a bit.

Sandbass i have been running into are out cruising, and moving fast looking for bait. The last school i fished I turned on the redneck thumper and they stayed close for 45 minutes until I shut down for the day.

Never fished murrell yesterday, if anyone has any input let me know.

Depth calibration fail, notice my shallow water depth finder

Last edited by prosise; 05/24/21 02:33 PM.
Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #14008665 05/24/21 05:21 PM
F
FishTran Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
F
Thanks for the info on the ramps.

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #14009297 05/25/21 04:46 AM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Fished from noon to 9pm. We sure could use some rain, think the lake went up about a foot while I was there. The green fish has a bad case of lock jaw, but the sandbass didn't. Side scanned and fished structure that had fish on it, caught some small bass but no monsters. When I launched I saw a truck and trailer, so I knew i wasn't crazy. In a few hours I got a text from my Fishing mentor, and he beat me to the lake. Wasn't the best day of fishing, but it was a great day chewing the fat with him.. End of the day was absolutely spectacular, double rainbow end to end but i didn't get the pic. Noticed the moon phase, so I will fish tomorrow afternoon into the night.. Sandbass are near murrell point, and west of the main point. Saw some birds working a cove east of murrell point earlier in the day, but I didn't fish the area.

Side scanning near Grapevine point. This is the point with the green canopy's just west of murrell point. saturated with whites.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Make sure you see the 2:30 timeframe. Sunset & rainbow..

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #14009328 05/25/21 09:10 AM
M
Marlin Rando Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
M
no good deed goes unpunished so they say. glad the phone was safe. i really like that sophisticated shallow water depth finder!

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #14009886 05/25/21 05:16 PM
F
fishrdude Online Content
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
F
Looks like you should have used the floatie to get over to their boat.

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #14010690 05/26/21 11:08 AM
F
FishTran Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
F
Hit the waters after 5 PM on Tuesday and headed for drop off outside Murrell but didn't see any birds at all. Then headed over to island and the birds were there. Caught a bunch on topwater and swimbaits. The white bass were fighting extremely hard today.

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #14010713 05/26/21 11:59 AM
T
T- Gil Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Always great to see your posts!

[Linked Image]

TEAM HUMDINGER

1st teach a child to love God, teach him second to love Family, 3rd teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. CC

"Una Stamus"
Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #14011810 05/27/21 02:57 AM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Needed to do an update but didn't have much.. Trying to get as much time on the water until next wed. Launched yesterday at noon and fished until midnight, took a nap tied up to the back of silverlake marina. One of the service guys was very cool, and politely asked that I not tie up to the marina. Woke up and fished from 2-4am and learned i cannot do the night stuff for as long as i used to.. Rising water pushed bass up shallow into the cover, and i mean literally in the bushes.. Got some sleep this morning and went out at noon, lake is high and there are some hazards out floating. I finally went looking for sandbass at 5pm, from the dam I hit every known point that i know on the north side. side scanned all and it was a ghost town. Went all the way to the cove with the HOA dock. Didn't go to the beach area, went back to the south side. Long story short, the shad have moved into cover along the banks. The upper end has many square miles of brush that is now covered with water. Before this the shad had no cover, so it was much easier finding the sandbass. Now the shad are in the shallows, but once the water warms up they will be forced to go back to the cooler temperature of the deeper areas of the lake. I did find some sandbass down by the island as well, but they were tough to get on the hook. We need the lake to settle down, and after some stable water level we can see what they are doing. If you know of a brush pile, the crappie are stacked. I fished one that has many fish, but they were all in the 9 inch range. Meadomere is open, but the parking lot is semi-submerged. If it goes another foot higher they will close that ramp. Working next 3 days, will catch up late Sunday.. God Bless..

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #14016441 05/31/21 03:27 PM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Fished yesterday from 5am-7pm. Was a real good day, except for the wakeboats and Village Idiots. Fished for Bass in the morning, saw a boat near that looked like they needed some help. We will call them The J outfit. They had a new boat and were out fishing, and enjoying the lake. Took them over to a spot and showed them what to look for when catching sandbass. I found sandbass but they were really hard to get on the hook. The fish are there, but really are not responding to the bait. Helped them with some instructions, and bait setup. Hopefully they will have some success on their outings. When the boat traffic picked up I headed up the lake, did some scanning up past the beach. Did not go up the creek, but stayed on the area to the right. The water was stained, but when you get up closer to the flooded areas the water gets clearer and brown. There is bait galore up the lake, and in the flooded areas it is crawling with fish. I could see shad popping, and some sandbass occasionally working. Caught some small fish around the edges, but it is so thick with brush it is hard to fish. Came back down, across the beach which had bait, but no fish. I then went over towards marshall branch. The water was the same, but a skosh clearer. I did some looking around, and ended up going into the flooded area. There is an old pond on this point, and it was booming with activity. Gar were feasting on sandbass, and the sandbass were feasting on bait. I caught a bunch of fish with a smaller rat-l-trap, and a small crankbait in the pond area. It has some good depth with a clean bottom which is nice. I really thought I might catch a good bass, but that never happened. Outside of the pond the bait is everywhere, there are huge floating collections of dead plants/wood in the shallows. Fished some with a worm, but no takers. As the water warms up, this is going to get good for bass. Water temp up there was 77-80deg, but i could not get a topwater bite. Caught a really nice smallmouth, and some good bass yesterday working windy areas. With all the boat traffic, I am paying for it today. Rain out, and I need to get some rat killing done. Might go out if the afternoon clears up a bit, and will fish tomorrow. After tomorrow you guys will need to throw out some info on what you are seeing. I did not get over to murrell point, as I stayed off the beaten path. Was right about the bait moving up the lake, and soon the sandy points will be on fire. This is the same conditions that we had in 2019, this allowed me to fish two points for months catching fish like crazy. This is where I made the video catching 5 at a time. If you got to see that video you know what I mean. Not sharing that one, or the others. Still have not landed 10 at a time, but will do that someday. We got close, but not the full 10. It takes two people to safely get the fish off, and back into the water.

Every bit of the upper end flooded areas has bait, and fish. Mostly smaller sandbass. As the water clears some, start checking areas up here.
[Linked Image]

The orange line is where I took the boat, unless you don't mind scratches do not go into this area. I raised my trolling motor up, and raised the big motor and went in to the forest. I did not touch the bottom, or hit anything. Go at your own risk. I caught small and fish in the 11" range in the pond.
[Linked Image]

My biggest Smallmouth
[Linked Image]
Ever seen the eye of a Smallmouth, very cool.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by prosise; 05/31/21 03:29 PM.
Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #14016537 05/31/21 05:33 PM
banker-always fishing Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Nice fish. cheers

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #14016746 05/31/21 09:33 PM
M
Marlin Rando Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
M
thanks for the update Brent. This rain has me sitting at home

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #14017432 06/01/21 04:01 PM
J
JWC Nauticstar Online Content
Angler
Online Content
Angler
J
Great job there. I hope a few ramps are still open.

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #14018460 06/02/21 02:27 PM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Fished Yesterday from 5am-7pm. Was able to fish with "Mr. B". Bass are up shallow, and I caught some decent fish. Lost a smallmouth as big as the one I caught the other day right at the boat, they are vicious fighters.. While looking around Mr. B found sandbass at the mouth of Twin Coves on the left side as you go in, we caught quite a few fish there before continuing the hunt for the green fish. At the end of the day we went up to the upper end, and checked out the pond. There was nothing going on up there, water a little stained from the day before. The water came up 1 foot from the time I launched, to the time I pulled out in the evening. Great day out, and was better chewing the fat with the fishing professor. Less than a couple hours before I get my wings clipped, and all is well. I heard the fish are not going to bite for the next 6 weeks, "That's the rumor"..... Will be back soon.

Caught a small smallie, a pretty good spot, and a nice bass. Fishing shallow, and covering every inch. Mid lake is doing well for fish.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Page 6 of 20 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 19 20
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide