Forums59
Topics1,038,957
Posts13,956,410
Members144,184
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: WILL LIVESCOPE AND KEEPING BIG FISH DECIMATE THE CRAPPIE POPULATION? [Re: leanin post] #14013946 05/28/21 10:25 PM
A
Asleep At The Reel Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
A
Originally Posted by leanin post
Chris, next time you catch and keep a very large fish, remove the eyes, scrape the skin off around the occular bone that the eye sits in. count the rings.. this will tell u how old the fish is.
maybe let us know what u find. many will likely be older than you would have thought
if u find that it takes alot longer than you previously thought, for a crappie to grow to 15 inches, and 2lbs plus, this may help give u insight on the effects of over harvesting the older fish.

I have actually thought about that as he said we can bring fish in. They have been doing surveys on this but I do not know the findings.

https://lonestarwarriorsoutdoors.org/

ASLEEP AT THE REEL (YouTube)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpYfRLf2MT7MkD-jsDrbMkw
Re: WILL LIVESCOPE AND KEEPING BIG FISH DECIMATE THE CRAPPIE POPULATION? [Re: Asleep At The Reel] #14014805 05/29/21 07:28 PM
L
leanin post Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted by Asleep At The Reel
Originally Posted by leanin post
Chris, next time you catch and keep a very large fish, remove the eyes, scrape the skin off around the occular bone that the eye sits in. count the rings.. this will tell u how old the fish is.
maybe let us know what u find. many will likely be older than you would have thought
if u find that it takes alot longer than you previously thought, for a crappie to grow to 15 inches, and 2lbs plus, this may help give u insight on the effects of over harvesting the older fish.

I have actually thought about that as he said we can bring fish in. They have been doing surveys on this but I do not know the findings.

plz keep us updated. no reason we cant do it ourselves. cumulatively as fisherman we can collect alot more data than they ever could. they dont catch enough fish, from different lakes to make an accurate assessment. as I mentioned, they cannot sample by shocking, or netting, they are guessing for the most part. They are going by the spawn conditions from year to year as well as egg counts that crappie generate. They really have no solid data to back up anything, other than the amount of eggs a crappie is able to produce. In my opinion there are WAY too many other variables involved that constantly change.
it may be something they could start doing though, maybe also a tagging program, to see how many fish are actually making it to full maturity.
The big hurdle to overcome though, is the biologists mindset that is cemented in the belief that there is no way crappie will ever be affected by harvest rates or anything else.. Whats not being considered though is other influences such as changing biological and enviormental conditions. maybe we can try and provide more information so we can prove them right, or maybe generate enough information that they can make a more informed assessment.
I heard the gentleman say that females reach sexual maturity at 10 inches. My belief though is that most of the small females dont drop thier eggs. The larger females go to deeper, more stable areas and spawn. If many of the larger females are harvested year around, my guess is that it certainly will gradually have an affect on crappie populations.
In spring, when the young males and females stage in shallow water, most of them dont stay for the whole process, wind and wave actions run them out of the areas, they scatter, and reabsorb thier eggs, or drop them in less than suitable conditions, where survival of the eggs is less likely. The larger males likely run the smaller males away from prime cover and structure. JMO
Folks with livescope are beginning to realize that the larger males and females tend to spawn in deeper water. just look at all of the pictures of crappie posted during spawn that are caught near the bank, not all, but most are small, 10 to 12 inch fish.

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: WILL LIVESCOPE AND KEEPING BIG FISH DECIMATE THE CRAPPIE POPULATION? [Re: Asleep At The Reel] #14014893 05/29/21 09:35 PM
K
KidKrappie Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
Originally Posted by Asleep At The Reel
Originally Posted by shut-up-and-fish

Great information, thanks for sharing...

Question for anyone:
Has anyone ever seen a large "trophy crappie" dead floating on the water surface like we see let's say a catfish, bass, hybrid? I fish a lot of skinny waters that hold a lot of large crappies and I never see dead crappie. With a short lifespan of 3-5 years, I would imagine someone would have come across a dandy floater. Maybe they just go to the bottom...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Ha Ha was wondering when that question would come out. I have seen one or two but that is it an honestly they may have not survived a catch. Who knows. I agree would think that they were floaters but at the same time if they die at the bottom do they float or sink? I am with you, wondered the same thing.

I personally have seen a monster dead crappie somewhere but I can't remember where I was. I think it was in a gravel pit if I remember right. I really don't think you would find many like that as they get eaten pretty quick I would think. They are pretty tasty after all

Re: WILL LIVESCOPE AND KEEPING BIG FISH DECIMATE THE CRAPPIE POPULATION? [Re: Asleep At The Reel] #14014897 05/29/21 09:41 PM
K
KidKrappie Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
I personally think it is too early to tell what the effects of livescope on the big fish is or will be. It has only been a couple years and there is only so much data they can gather in that short period of time. So many variants exist in some of that research (Time of year, location, depth of water, condition of the lake and weather all go into their shocking results). Only time will tell. I still believe the people who see it first hand more but definitely respect the biologists opinions because I am no biologist.

Re: WILL LIVESCOPE AND KEEPING BIG FISH DECIMATE THE CRAPPIE POPULATION? [Re: shut-up-and-fish] #14014910 05/29/21 10:07 PM
P
Piscivore Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P

Question for anyone:
Has anyone ever seen a large "trophy crappie" dead floating on the water surface like we see let's say a catfish, bass, hybrid? I fish a lot of skinny waters that hold a lot of large crappies and I never see dead crappie. With a short lifespan of 3-5 years, I would imagine someone would have come across a dandy floater. Maybe they just go to the bottom...

I saw a dead monster crappie floating on Texoma last year. I wish I picked it up and measured it, especially after I looked up the lake records.

Re: WILL LIVESCOPE AND KEEPING BIG FISH DECIMATE THE CRAPPIE POPULATION? [Re: shut-up-and-fish] #14015517 05/30/21 04:53 PM
S
SK. Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S

Great information, thanks for sharing...

Question for anyone:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The one dead SLAB I did see was eaten within short order by a gator..... Thought I was recording when it happened but nope cam was not on.....

Crappie Guide on Houston TX area lakes. Email to schedule a trip: skscrappiecatchingadventures@gmail.com or call my message line 281-301-9316

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING A PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE.....Onxy A/M 24 PFD's

Check Out SK's CRAPPIE Catching Adventures on YouTube....
https://www.youtube.com/user/fishingorhunting
Re: WILL LIVESCOPE AND KEEPING BIG FISH DECIMATE THE CRAPPIE POPULATION? [Re: The Crappie Guy] #14015578 05/30/21 06:00 PM
P
PKfishin Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
P
The crappie guy is right. You cannot fish out crappie. They spawn very effectively.

John 21:3 Simon Peter saith unto them, I go a fishing. They say unto him, We also go with thee.
Re: WILL LIVESCOPE AND KEEPING BIG FISH DECIMATE THE CRAPPIE POPULATION? [Re: Asleep At The Reel] #14015665 05/30/21 07:53 PM
G
Gaspergou Master Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
Great video! Thank you for sharing!

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide