Forums59
Topics1,037,849
Posts13,935,482
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Age Old Question - PA14 or Outback [Re: Jezreel] #14012833 05/28/21 12:43 AM
J
Jezreel Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
J
Well. . . The decision has been made FOR me. Imagine that. Come to find out, there is not a new Outback to be had in Texas, Louisiana or Oklahoma. On the websites that showed inventory. . . Sold Out! I called a couple of other places. . . Sold Out! That was after I talked to Duc, at Mariner Sails, where he told me they were out of Outbacks, and have been advised by Hobie that they will be lucky to see a full shipment before the end of the year. The COVID restrictions have been bad in the US, but especially bad in California.

So. . . My decision became quite easy after all. They had the PA14 - 180 in Ivory Dune. And the PAs are also becoming hard to find.

I am Very excited. Both boats had so many great aspects that drew me to each one. It was such a difficult decision. I’m actually glad the choice was, there was no other choice hmmm

Looks like I will be getting next week when I get back to town. Looking forward to getting out on the water.

One final note. . . I can’t say enough about how helpful Duc at Mariner Sails was. I’ve been to M-S on occasion for Yak parts, but never to spend a bucket full on a boat. Anyway, I highly recommend calling Duc if you need any help there.

I really want y’all to know how much I appreciate your help. I’ll be out on the water next week bouncy

Re: Age Old Question - PA14 or Outback [Re: Jezreel] #14013064 05/28/21 05:11 AM
M
Mike@972 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Glad to hear that figured it out.

What year is the PA? You will want to make sure that it has kick up fins. I believe kick up fins are 2020 and beyond. Its unlikely that they still have a 2019 hanging around, but its possible.

Re: Age Old Question - PA14 or Outback [Re: Jezreel] #14013139 05/28/21 11:10 AM
J
Jezreel Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
J
Yep, it’s a new 2021 model.

Re: Age Old Question - PA14 or Outback [Re: Jezreel] #14013142 05/28/21 11:13 AM
J
Jerry713 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Congrats John! I know you're itching to get it on the water and figure out what all you need accessory wise.

I'm a big safety guy so I want to pass along a couple of safety tips specific to the PA.

The front hatch on the PA leaks. The newer ones like you're buying have the hatch seal on the hatch lid but it's still really hard to keep water out of a hatch that big. When you get into big waves (it will happen) when they're splashing over the bow it's nice to know the front hatch won't leak. I bought some rubber surgical tubing and glued it on the underside lip of my front hatch bucket (the big white bin). It solved my leaking problems. I also didn't use the strap that keeps the hatch lid from opening wide open but that's your call.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GXXZGZ6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hopefully this will never happen but if you ever flip your PA14 over while on the water chances are you won't be able to flip it back up right by yourself. A strap will come in handy for this. You can use a stand assist strap or I used a strap from a rachet tie down that rusted up but the strap was still good. I kept the strap tied to the H-rail and coiled up in the map pocket next to the seat. Here's video on what I'm talking about. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qaKBtY1ZU4&list=WL&index=3

Holler if you have any questions.

You get out of it what you put into it!
Re: Age Old Question - PA14 or Outback [Re: Jezreel] #14013429 05/28/21 02:58 PM
J
Jezreel Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
J
Wow! Thanks a bunch. That video was real helpful. I’ve been able to flip my sit-inside kayak, as it’s long but not near as heavy and bulky. I will certainly put that strap on my H-Rail.

I was watching a video of a guy saying he doesn’t use the white tub in the big hatch because it causes a gap between the upper and lower seals. I might have to give the rubber hose a look.

Thanks for the info. My wife and I are 20 year veterans with a kayak, but they are sit-inside. I’m sure I will have a sharp learning curve on the PA.

John

Re: Age Old Question - PA14 or Outback [Re: Jezreel] #14014008 05/28/21 11:14 PM
J
Jerry713 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted by Jezreel
Wow! Thanks a bunch. That video was real helpful. I’ve been able to flip my sit-inside kayak, as it’s long but not near as heavy and bulky. I will certainly put that strap on my H-Rail.

I was watching a video of a guy saying he doesn’t use the white tub in the big hatch because it causes a gap between the upper and lower seals. I might have to give the rubber hose a look.

Thanks for the info. My wife and I are 20 year veterans with a kayak, but they are sit-inside. I’m sure I will have a sharp learning curve on the PA.

John

Yeah there's different options on the front hatch tub but the reason most don't use it is like you said the strap creates a gap in the gasket but if you unsnap the strap you won't have that problem. For me it was more important to have a tight seal and the tub to catch water just in case than it was to have the strap connected to the hatch lid. You might try it both ways and see what works best for you.

You get out of it what you put into it!
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide