texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
drew82, GoFishin, KrisR, Fins_and_feathers, JB117
117280 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
TexDawg 109,235
hopalong 106,437
Bigbob_FTW 82,210
Pilothawk 82,083
John175☮ 81,854
Derek 🐝 67,703
JDavis7873 67,408
Mark Perry 66,034
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,140,605
Posts15,542,713
Members142,280
Most Online36,273
Jan 23rd, 2013
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Does TPWD show your home lake any love? #14010879 05/26/21 02:12 PM
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 932
D
Donegonefishin Online Content OP
Pro Angler
OP Online Content
Pro Angler
D
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 932
Data from TPWD website. Stocking period is 2009-2019. Not sure what lake is "Tennessee", but TPWD shows 5 years of stockings. Includes both fingerlings and fry. Reflects the top 21 lake stockings.
Data location: https://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/fish/management/stocking/

Lake Stockings % of total Acres Stock/Acre
Sam Rayburn 8,658,905 8.92% 114,500 76
Toledo Bend 5,803,351 5.98% 185,000 31
Lake Fork 5,382,546 5.55% 27,264 197
Falcon 4,007,472 4.13% 83,654 48
Amistad 3,800,907 3.92% 64,900 59
Caddo 3,087,369 3.18% 25,400 122
Palestine 2,812,428 2.90% 25,560 110
Choke Canyon Reservoir 2,803,217 2.89% 25,670 109
Ray Hubbard 2,674,776 2.76% 22,745 118
Richland-Chambers 2,614,523 2.69% 41,356 63
Conroe 2,271,264 2.34% 21,000 108
Bob Sandlin 2,147,056 2.21% 9,004 238
Lake O' the Pines 2,110,647 2.17% 18,680 113
Athens 2,064,619 2.13% 1,799 1,148
Cedar Creek Reservoir 1,981,222 2.04% 32,623 61
Lyndon B. Johnson 1,873,771 1.93% 6,449 291
Lake Corpus Christi 1,746,222 1.80% 18,256 96
O. H. Ivie 1,601,707 1.65% 19,149 84
??Tennessee?? 1,587,302 1.64%
Canyon 1,491,505 1.54% 8,230 181
Ray Roberts 1,440,155 1.48% 29,350 49







Last edited by Donegonefishin; 05/26/21 02:15 PM.
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Does TPWD show your home lake any love? [Re: Donegonefishin] #14010893 05/26/21 02:17 PM
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 66,034
Mark Perry Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 66,034
I'm no biologist and will never claim to be one but just thinking out loud I bet a lot more goes into where they stock then just dumping fish in that body of water. I bet they take a lot of conditions into consideration. If a lake can't sustain an increase in population all stocking will do is probably add a ton of small fish to the lake that compete for food and never really grow much.

Re: Does TPWD show your home lake any love? [Re: Donegonefishin] #14010899 05/26/21 02:21 PM
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 9,379
T
Texan Til I Die Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
T
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 9,379
I think Tennessee means we sent (sold?) fish from Texas to them. Just like we will periodically get fish from Florida.


"If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Re: Does TPWD show your home lake any love? [Re: Mark Perry] #14010901 05/26/21 02:22 PM
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 932
D
Donegonefishin Online Content OP
Pro Angler
OP Online Content
Pro Angler
D
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 932
Originally Posted by Mark Perry
I'm no biologist and will never claim to be one but just thinking out loud I bet a lot more goes into where they stock then just dumping fish in that body of water. I bet they take a lot of conditions into consideration. If a lake can't sustain an increase in population all stocking will do is probably add a ton of small fish to the lake that compete for food and never really grow much.


I would agree with you Mark but that would not explain why Athens (1,799 acres) would receive 6 times more bass per acre than any other lake in Texas. I guess they benefit from having the fish hatchery there.

Re: Does TPWD show your home lake any love? [Re: Donegonefishin] #14010903 05/26/21 02:23 PM
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 1,482
L
Lone_Wolf Offline
Extreme Angler
Offline
Extreme Angler
L
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 1,482
They seem to focus on the larger lakes, they haven't stocked what I consider my home lake since 1985 and it shows recent club tournament I don't think anyone weighed in more than 2 or 3 keepers.

Last edited by Lone_Wolf; 05/26/21 02:23 PM.
Re: Does TPWD show your home lake any love? [Re: Donegonefishin] #14010909 05/26/21 02:28 PM
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 66,034
Mark Perry Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 66,034
Originally Posted by Donegonefishin
Originally Posted by Mark Perry
I'm no biologist and will never claim to be one but just thinking out loud I bet a lot more goes into where they stock then just dumping fish in that body of water. I bet they take a lot of conditions into consideration. If a lake can't sustain an increase in population all stocking will do is probably add a ton of small fish to the lake that compete for food and never really grow much.


I would agree with you Mark but that would not explain why Athens (1,799 acres) would receive 6 times more bass per acre than any other lake in Texas. I guess they benefit from having the fish hatchery there.



You are probably right about Athens.

Re: Does TPWD show your home lake any love? [Re: Donegonefishin] #14010918 05/26/21 02:33 PM
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 721
R
RKT Offline
Pro Angler
Offline
Pro Angler
R
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 721
I read an article some years back that said that TPWD really only stocks lakes for a few reasons. The main reason is to stock pure Florida's in lakes that they believed would possibly grow new state or world records. I only remember two other reasons that it said they stocked. One was new lakes, which we all know we do not get new lakes hardly ever. The last reason that I remember was that if a lakes bass population for some reason was devastated and needed a stocking to rebound.

I actually wish that TPWD would make a list of the lakes that they did not think were capable of producing large bass and start stocking them heavily with the more aggressive northern strain bass. If they did that, we would have lakes that were more productive in bad conditions such as post winter cold fronts.

Re: Does TPWD show your home lake any love? [Re: Donegonefishin] #14010924 05/26/21 02:37 PM
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,730
2
206champion Offline
TFF Team Angler
Offline
TFF Team Angler
2
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,730
I have always said that TPWD does not stock lakes equally they only focus on a certain few,A fews years ago I contacted them about Bridgeport restocking and was told they only stock a lake until what they think the body of water will hold but if that's true why do they restock the same ones over and over year after year.I think they all need restocking to replenish them. And Im not bashing them I just dont understand .


Cross Timbers Bass Club
Re: Does TPWD show your home lake any love? [Re: RKT] #14010936 05/26/21 02:45 PM
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 932
D
Donegonefishin Online Content OP
Pro Angler
OP Online Content
Pro Angler
D
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 932
Originally Posted by RKT
I read an article some years back that said that TPWD really only stocks lakes for a few reasons. The main reason is to stock pure Florida's in lakes that they believed would possibly grow new state or world records. I only remember two other reasons that it said they stocked. One was new lakes, which we all know we do not get new lakes hardly ever. The last reason that I remember was that if a lakes bass population for some reason was devastated and needed a stocking to rebound.

I actually wish that TPWD would make a list of the lakes that they did not think were capable of producing large bass and start stocking them heavily with the more aggressive northern strain bass. If they did that, we would have lakes that were more productive in bad conditions such as post winter cold fronts.


I fully agree. Does TPWD bass stocking exist to make a few lakes possible trophy destinations or should it exist for a better fishing experience over a larger range of lakes?

Re: Does TPWD show your home lake any love? [Re: Donegonefishin] #14010937 05/26/21 02:46 PM
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 33,762
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 33,762
The lakes I fish aren't on that chart.......

Re: Does TPWD show your home lake any love? [Re: Donegonefishin] #14010940 05/26/21 02:49 PM
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 33,762
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 33,762
Originally Posted by Donegonefishin
Originally Posted by RKT
I read an article some years back that said that TPWD really only stocks lakes for a few reasons. The main reason is to stock pure Florida's in lakes that they believed would possibly grow new state or world records. I only remember two other reasons that it said they stocked. One was new lakes, which we all know we do not get new lakes hardly ever. The last reason that I remember was that if a lakes bass population for some reason was devastated and needed a stocking to rebound.

I actually wish that TPWD would make a list of the lakes that they did not think were capable of producing large bass and start stocking them heavily with the more aggressive northern strain bass. If they did that, we would have lakes that were more productive in bad conditions such as post winter cold fronts.


I fully agree. Does TPWD bass stocking exist to make a few lakes possible trophy destinations or should it exist for a better fishing experience over a larger range of lakes?


I have always felt if they spread the love around certain lakes wouldn't get beat to death and that would help those lake also. The obsession with lake fork is disgusting.

Re: Does TPWD show your home lake any love? [Re: WAWI] #14010942 05/26/21 02:49 PM
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 117
C
Chis D Offline
Outdoorsman
Offline
Outdoorsman
C
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 117
Originally Posted by WAWI
The lakes I fish aren't on that chart.......


x2.

Re: Does TPWD show your home lake any love? [Re: WAWI] #14010944 05/26/21 02:51 PM
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 117
C
Chis D Offline
Outdoorsman
Offline
Outdoorsman
C
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 117
Originally Posted by WAWI
I have always felt if they spread the love around certain lakes wouldn't get beat to death and that would help those lake also. The obsession with lake fork is disgusting.


x2, again.

Re: Does TPWD show your home lake any love? [Re: Donegonefishin] #14010945 05/26/21 02:56 PM
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 3,411
A
avid_basser Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
A
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 3,411
Ray Bob is on there and it gets low amounts of love...maybe because the crappie and white bass populations would devour the bass fingerlings???

Re: Does TPWD show your home lake any love? [Re: avid_basser] #14010950 05/26/21 03:04 PM
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,966
SAKS Offline
Extreme Angler
Offline
Extreme Angler
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,966
Originally Posted by avid_basser
Ray Bob is on there and it gets low amounts of love...maybe because the crappie and white bass populations would devour the bass fingerlings???

Funny you say that. I read somewhere (and I thought it was here) that someone watched them release fingerlings and the white bass just sat there and waited for it like kids on a money drop. How true I don't know but thought it was funny.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3