Bass Boat vs Kayak?? #13998536 05/15/21 12:49 PM
O
Ol'geezer Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
O
Just got a RV can't pull both RV and Bass Boat(BB),
I bought a used nucanoe frontier 10 to try kayak fishing, (enjoyed it)
I'm needing to sale the BB to be able to buy a good pedal kayak.
Here's my questions (problems) I like being able to jump around with the BB ( go from one part of lake to another) move with water and weather conditions, and comfort of BB.
Do you ever get use to not moving around as quickly?
How do you handle if your out and wind changes directions and you have big swells to go over to get back to truck?
I'm a fat guy is wider better? my frontier 10 is 39in wide, only 10ft long when I paddle it it has a S motion. Would a longer and narrow still be stable?
Thanks for any answers

Re: Bass Boat vs Kayak?? [Re: Ol'geezer] #13999092 05/16/21 01:14 AM
M
Mike@972 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
I have owned some type of motor boat from 20 year old to 43ish. Jon boats of various sizes, large pond prowler, small Cajun bass boat (this was one of my favorites) and most recently large Skeeter. I enjoy them all at various levels.

About 4 years ago, I sold the Skeeter and bought a Hobie PA. My buddies thought I was crazy, but I knew what I was missing... A simple little boat that I could take a hose to (i. e.: my old Jon boats) and preferably something that did not require a trailer (i.e.: pond prowler).

I kept seeing more and more guys fishing from kayaks and knew that this was what I was looking for. I researched and picked the biggest freaking kayak on the market... Lol.

When I switch to a kayak, I had to adjust my style of fishing from running around to slow and methodical. I personally enjoy researching a body of water before I fish to select a place where I will be content for the entire day.

All things considered, I do not miss owning a motor boat at all. Sure, there are times when I look at glass water at sunset and miss cutting though it at 65mph...but all and all I prefer my little plastic boat every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

You will need to learn to slow down... You will have an easier time slowing down if you know that you are on good water (i. e.: research the water before you hit the water).

Just my two cents and personal experience. Good luck to you as you adjust.

Re: Bass Boat vs Kayak?? [Re: Ol'geezer] #13999412 05/16/21 01:20 PM
T
TXanalogkd Offline
Angler
Angler
T
^^^he nailed it^^^ Every kayak is different and as with the person in the kayak. I also own a 18 ft center console with two kayaks; Tarpon tandem that I used for w/my kids and fished solo, and just purchased a used Cuda 12. I really felt save in the Tarpon but I wanted something more comfortable when solo. Do not overlook the Tarpon 120 or Pescador Pro 120.

Good luck and take your time making the right choice for you.

Re: Bass Boat vs Kayak?? [Re: Ol'geezer] #13999506 05/16/21 02:53 PM
P
PowerLizard Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
P
The biggest difference going from a Bass boat to a fishing kayak is planning. In a Bass boat, you can launch from almost any boat ramp and drive almost anywhere on a lake. With a fishing kayak, I usually check the weather, wind direction and wind speed before picking a launch point on a lake. You also take less stuff on a kayak so you you plan ahead and take stuff you know you will use and a lot less “backup” just in case stuff.

Re: Bass Boat vs Kayak?? [Re: Ol'geezer] #13999572 05/16/21 03:39 PM
K
KidKrappie Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
After having both, I enjoy fishing out of the kayak but it is not the same as my tracker. As mentioned above, the issue is not being able to run and gun and search for active fish. I crappie fish and fish all types of cover and lakes and enjoy doing this. I would prefer to have a bass boat for this time of year and a yak for the fall, winter and spring for creek fishing. I have a native slayer propel 13 and love it! Big enough to handle some rough water but not overly big. The pedal drive is clutch for me with the instant reverse and trying to hover over fish. Planning is definitely key when fishing from a yak and I pedal on average 3-5 miles a trip and while I am tired after, It is not horrible.

Last edited by fishin'aholic2; 05/16/21 03:40 PM.
Re: Bass Boat vs Kayak?? [Re: Ol'geezer] #13999668 05/16/21 05:04 PM
J
Jerry713 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
I've also owned many boats over the years and have one now. Yep a kayak limits to you to a certain area and wind becomes a big deal but I think you'll be surprised at the fish you catch because you stay in one area.

As for your Frontier could it be a weight capacity issue? 10' kayaks are known for darting back and forth anyway. In general you should not exceed 70% of your kayaks weight capacity including you and your gear. If you do the kayak will not paddle right. Longer is better in most cases especially for tracking straight and paddling. I am about 6' 210 lbs and wouldn't consider anything under 12' and prefer a kayak closer to 14'. Wider is better for stability but worse for paddling.

I personally was happy when I just had kayaks. If it wasn't for the wife wanting a boat I wouldn't have one now.

Make no mistake kayaks are more dangerous in that you can get into trouble with winds and big swells a lot easier. You'll need to get used to wearing a PDF at all times. It's the right thing to do. But the enjoyment can be off the charts.

You get out of it what you put into it!
Re: Bass Boat vs Kayak?? [Re: Ol'geezer] #13999838 05/16/21 07:38 PM
L
lamar44 Offline
Angler
Angler
L
Most of my kayak fishing is in shallow close to shore water, that's where the fish are most of the time.
You will get to see more and enjoy your slow ride more then at 60mph in the middle of the lake.

Re: Bass Boat vs Kayak?? [Re: Ol'geezer] #14004429 05/20/21 02:30 PM
C
CarlB Offline
Angler
Angler
C
It seems to me that I can get closer to fish in my kayak before they get spooked, I sometimes get almost on top of fish before they dart away. though I never had a motor boat so I'm just basing it on watching boats fishing near me when I'm out. Often it seems that I'm catching more than people in boats, but it's hard to tell. Also getting into shallow or tight spaces sometimes is helpful, but it's also tiring paddling and fighting the wind all day while fishing. It's a good workout but exhausts me, but my inflatable boat is light so it's probably blowing around more than a regular fishing kayak though.

Re: Bass Boat vs Kayak?? [Re: Ol'geezer] #14004656 05/20/21 05:02 PM
JJ4MEL Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
I have owned multiple boats and kayaks. Kayaking to me is just enjoying the serenity. Bass boat will not go on the Brazos so you can enjoy the bluffs or the picture perfect scenery of the Buffalo River in Arkansas. I had my fun on $80K bass boats screaming across Lake Fork at 75 mph. Now I just want to enjoy the peace and quiet of kayaking and exploring places a boat will not take me.

Re: Bass Boat vs Kayak?? [Re: Ol'geezer] #14006326 05/22/21 04:39 AM
L
Lmgreeri Offline
Angler
Angler
L
Owned and operated 4 boats from Skeeter bass boat up to twin engine offshore boats. Sold my 2870 Pursuit last year and bought 2 Hobie PA14's. I have never been so happy. I don't miss the mornings at the ramp with motor or electrical issues. Fishing went back to simple enjoyment again. Kayaks all the way!!! thumb

Re: Bass Boat vs Kayak?? [Re: JJ4MEL] #14008522 05/24/21 03:08 PM
L
lconn4 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
L
Originally Posted by JJ4MEL
I have owned multiple boats and kayaks. Kayaking to me is just enjoying the serenity. Bass boat will not go on the Brazos so you can enjoy the bluffs or the picture perfect scenery of the Buffalo River in Arkansas. I had my fun on $80K bass boats screaming across Lake Fork at 75 mph. Now I just want to enjoy the peace and quiet of kayaking and exploring places a boat will not take me.

cheers

[Linked Image]

A good rule of angling philosophy is not to interfere with another fisherman's ways of being happy, unless you want to be hated.
Zane Grey, Tales of Fishes, 1919

https://vimeo.com/73372194
https://vimeo.com/72859045

Re: Bass Boat vs Kayak?? [Re: Ol'geezer] #14010570 05/26/21 02:31 AM
T
texaspirate Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
I also went from a Ranger to a Kayak... specifically a PA 14 for lakes,,, and a Jackson Mayfly for the Rivers and fly fishing. No comparison , Im happy to be in the Yak... Its a much more personal experience... Im not running and gunning to the same standing timber, point or rock pile that every other guy is too in the same boat.... I get excersize I wasnt getting, Im not paying taxes in the form of license fees to the state and Im slowing down methodically working in expectation the water.... Couldnt be happier....

Re: Bass Boat vs Kayak?? [Re: Ol'geezer] #14010577 05/26/21 02:37 AM
S
Smurfs Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Ol'geezer
Just got a RV can't pull both RV and Bass Boat(BB),
I bought a used nucanoe frontier 10 to try kayak fishing, (enjoyed it)
I'm needing to sale the BB to be able to buy a good pedal kayak.
Here's my questions (problems) I like being able to jump around with the BB ( go from one part of lake to another) move with water and weather conditions, and comfort of BB.
Do you ever get use to not moving around as quickly?
How do you handle if your out and wind changes directions and you have big swells to go over to get back to truck?
I'm a fat guy is wider better? my frontier 10 is 39in wide, only 10ft long when I paddle it it has a S motion. Would a longer and narrow still be stable?
Thanks for any answers

Couldnt you double tow with the bass boat, thats what I do along with may others.

Re: Bass Boat vs Kayak?? [Re: Ol'geezer] #14010660 05/26/21 09:32 AM
F
fishy finder Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
F
Can’t you just trade the rv in on a tent or hammock and keep the kayak and bass boat....I fish out of both and enjoy both equally... I’ve got an xpress x-19 that I can get out and about on bigger water and 6 kayaks that are for anything from whitewater to fishing kayaks.... they’re all amazing! They all allow you to interact with nature in slightly different ways.... and for the record, I wish I had an rv too...

Re: Bass Boat vs Kayak?? [Re: Ol'geezer] #14010784 05/26/21 01:08 PM
C
CCTX Online Content
mapquest
Online Content
mapquest
C
^^^
That's what I'd do.
Sell the RV and get a state park pass.
Keep the boat and purchase a quality inflatable kayak like the Sea Eagle 385fta.
That way, you're just towing the boat and have a deflated kayak in the back seat (takes 7-10min to inflate)
Best of both worlds.

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide