Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Lake Travis [Re: Palirwin] #13979389 04/29/21 10:25 PM
V
Verkeith Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
V
MLF BPT will be there for the next 6 days. Go follow the pros around, but not too close. I'm sure they'll get on some fish.

Last edited by Verkeith; 04/29/21 10:26 PM.
Re: Lake Travis [Re: Palirwin] #13979497 04/29/21 11:59 PM
P
Palirwin Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
P
I appreciate that, but I have been fishing Travis for 25 years. It is where I learned to fish. I just love the lake and feel out of my element anytime I go elsewhere. It is close, and it is beautiful. It will always be "home." Headed out tomorrow morning...should be a good one!

Re: Lake Travis [Re: Palirwin] #13979528 04/30/21 12:26 AM
V
Verkeith Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
V
It'll be a busy place tomorrow

Re: Lake Travis [Re: Palirwin] #13983729 05/03/21 04:18 PM
P
Palirwin Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
P
Okay guys, I forgot to post my last trip out. Day one of the BPT, and it was amazing how few boats were out there. It was neat to see the pros running around, and to see how they did at the same time I was fishing. For one thing, they were not in spots where I normally fish. Nearby yes, but I did not get in anybody's way. That said, at least 75% of those guys caught fish better than I did, so I must be fishing the wrong spots lol! I have been watching a lot of the tournie on live feed since, and I have to say that they are attacking the lake different from me. They either fish it faster or slower than I do. Even when I fish slow for me it is not as slow as them, and when they start covering water, man they really cover water! Also, I am just amazed at how these guys skip under the docks. No surprise to me they break a lot off where they are throwing their lines. But...they catch more than me too. There was one point where one of the guys with a Costa wrap on his boat was on the opposite side of a cove from me and at least for that stretch I caught more than he did. I was a couple hundred yards away from him, so maybe he caught more than I noticed, but he was in teh shallow side and I was on the bluff side. I did hook a monster at one point, but never got to see it. It had to be a drum the way it ran, but it snapped me off and I am still upset about that one...the one that got away! Anyway, I ended up breaking a trolling motor cable so that ended my day. So things I will do differently after watching these pros on my favorite lake: Fish more bladed jigs, dream of being able to afford better electronics to fish offshore, crank more aggressively along the bluffs, get better at the drop shot, and when I slow down, slow down even more, and get better at skipping and pitching under these floating docks. I am thankful for the tour hitting Lake Travis, and I welcome them back ANYTIME! It has been a wonderful waste of productive hours watching these guys. One last thing...it is funny to hear them talk about how small the lake is! I don't feel like Travis is a small lake at all...but I guess I just don't get out much.

Re: Lake Travis [Re: Palirwin] #13983866 05/03/21 05:55 PM
C
Chis D Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
I didn't put the boat in over the weekend, but I watched some of the coverage on Saturday and just watched boats run past our place, up/down the Pedernales on Sunday. Early Saturday there were a few boats fishing up the Ped, and the ones I could see seemed to be fishing some odd spots (e.g., shallow sandy banks across from nice docks and drop-offs) and I didn't see them catch anything - that was just my direct observation. I am sure some did better. The most interesting thing was to see a few guys run up the Pedernales on Sunday, with the high current, debris and chocolate milk coming down the river. I didn't get a chance to see the coverage, but if they did well, I would be surprised. My guess is they were not in the hunt and were gambling.

Re: Lake Travis [Re: Palirwin] #13997585 05/14/21 04:50 PM
J
JAlfred Offline
Angler
Angler
J
I received a supply of bladed jig heads from Amazon, and decided to give them a try on Lake Travis on Thursday, 13th May. I fished from 9am-noon. Weather was overcast and cool. I didn't think to look at the lake temperature.

I started off fairly shallow with a Keitech Easy Shiner on one of the 1/4 oz bladed jig heads. I caught several in the 12-13 inch range. I then switched to a lighter jig head with 5 inch Senko and started fishing bluffs. I caught several more in the 12-13 inch range and finally the two shown in the attached photo. My buddy and I thought the larger one was at least 5 pounds, but the scale didn't lie. It was 3 lb 7 oz. The smaller one was just over 2 pounds.

All in all a pretty good day after many trips this year of nothing but dinks.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by JAlfred; 05/14/21 04:51 PM. Reason: Added image
Re: Lake Travis [Re: Palirwin] #13999707 05/16/21 05:26 PM
J
Jonathan5 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
J
Fished Gloster Bend late morning Saturday and caught two LM. Access was difficult as the weeds are waist high. Saw two snakes and decided to fish somewhere else. Fished Turkey Bend with no luck then met up with a friend and fished his land in Lago Vista. Caught two LM there. All fish were a pound or less and caught on pearl sassy shad.
Previous weekend we fished Jones Brothers Park in Jonestown and caught two both in the two pound range. Both caught on chartreuse/white spinnerbait early morning. I like fishing here, but the $20 park fee is just too steep for me.

Re: Lake Travis [Re: Palirwin] #14005396 05/21/21 11:06 AM
P
Palirwin Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
P
Went out 5/14 and did pretty well on chartreuse spinner bait. Fished from 9:30-noon Caught probably 10, with 5ish keeper size. One nice one that was a Travis 3 pounder...you know...6 pounder anywhere else. :-) Stayed on secondary points and boat docks. Fish were hanging shallow, but in deeper water. They were chasing shad of course. Going back out today, will try to remember to post this time. Gonna start in Jonestown with topwater...haven't caught a fish on topwater in quite a while, so fingers crossed!

Re: Lake Travis [Re: Palirwin] #14008115 05/24/21 02:12 AM
P
Palirwin Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
P
5/21/21 - Early morning, winds were calm, lots of bass busting the shad first thing in the morning. I got bit on a clear torpedo on my first cast, but missed it somehow. Undeterred, we cast like crazy at the schools of fish. Saw carp and gar all over, thinking they must be spawning but I don't know. Fished hard for many hours as it was overcast and I just knew it was going to be a great day of fishing! Unfortunately, it was one of THOSE days that made me feel like I had no idea what I was doing. I got bit time and time again, and never landed a single fish. Most bites came on a baby brush hog near the surface, but near a bluff of some sort. I don't know, I just was off my game I guess. Crazy day indeed!

Re: Lake Travis [Re: Palirwin] #14008348 05/24/21 12:53 PM
fivebites Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
What part of the lake are you fishing? I live in Jonestown and rarely catch anything decent (over 2 pounds) from the Jonestown ramps north. Any time you want a back seat pm me!

2019 Chevy Tahoe
2018 Basscat Eyra 250 Proxs
PB Wife of 32 years!
PB Largemouth 9.56 Ray Roberts
Re: Lake Travis [Re: Palirwin] #14009182 05/25/21 02:01 AM
J
Jonathan5 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
J
Fished Point Venture yesterday morning. I caught three, one was just under 3lbs. As I reeled in each fish, there were several others that followed all the way to the shore. I have never experienced that before.
I caught all three in a matter of twenty minutes then that was it. All were caught on Pop R.
I wanted to fish Dink Pearson but it has been closed for quite sometime now. Anyone know why it's closed or if it will open back up?

Re: Lake Travis [Re: fivebites] #14009985 05/25/21 06:19 PM
P
Palirwin Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
P
I launch in Jonestown and fish up to Arkansas Bend, sometimes head down the lake, but usually between Sandy Creek and Arkansas Bend. Top speed is just over 30 mph on the 17' tracker with 60hp motor, so while I used to fish mostly from Arkansas Bend to Cow Creek back in the day...I can't reasonably get there these days. My good buddy owns the boat, so my schedule has to align with his. He usually prefers the backseat himself and let's me run the trolling motor. If I had my own boat, I would be happy to take you out though! Back when I had a boat I took people out all the time. I know what it is like not having a boat...and I sympathize!

Last edited by Palirwin; 05/25/21 06:22 PM. Reason: added stuff
Re: Lake Travis [Re: Palirwin] #14010266 05/25/21 10:26 PM
R
Rayzor Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
R
How can Travis be -20.69 with all of this rain? I am aware that rain alone will not fill up a big lake but come on! Do they let it out as fast as they get it?

Be safe,
Rayzor
[Linked Image]
2001 Triton Tx-21/225 Mercury EFI
Re: Lake Travis [Re: Rayzor] #14010875 05/26/21 02:11 PM
C
Chis D Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Originally Posted by Rayzor
How can Travis be -20.69 with all of this rain? I am aware that rain alone will not fill up a big lake but come on! Do they let it out as fast as they get it?

We have not had the much rain west of I35. The watershed has had some rain but not a ton. Several weeks ago we got good rains out west and a ~3' rise. We got almost no run off in the scattered/passing showers this go-round. LCRA appears to have been "better" about not releasing, but they still have released a good amount even while the downstream in-flows were high. I would say it makes no sense, but it does...it is, I presume, all about the money. In short, I believe they are trying to get some income off of hydro. Sure, you can do that, but, to me, that it short-sighted and should be a last resort. There are many ways to generate power, but there are not many ways to to obtain water in central Texas. A while back they were releasing when it made no sense (water was down, no future rain in sight, and no downstream demand), so I sent an inquiry to LCRA asking why they were releasing when it was clear we would need that water back in a matter of weeks or months. LCRA's answer - "Our hydrologist determined that we needed to release." My theory.... LCRA wants to keep the resource scarce to keep LCRA relevant and make the resource they control more valuable. Very few pay attention, and the others won't until there is a crisis.

Last edited by Chis D; 05/26/21 02:12 PM.
Re: Lake Travis [Re: Chis D] #14011455 05/26/21 10:12 PM
R
Rayzor Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
R
Originally Posted by Chis D
Originally Posted by Rayzor

We have not had the much rain west of I35. The watershed has had some rain but not a ton. Several weeks ago we got good rains out west and a ~3' rise. We got almost no run off in the scattered/passing showers this go-round. LCRA appears to have been "better" about not releasing, but they still have released a good amount even while the downstream in-flows were high. I would say it makes no sense, but it does...it is, I presume, all about the money. In short, I believe they are trying to get some income off of hydro. Sure, you can do that, but, to me, that it short-sighted and should be a last resort. There are many ways to generate power, but there are not many ways to to obtain water in central Texas. A while back they were releasing when it made no sense (water was down, no future rain in sight, and no downstream demand), so I sent an inquiry to LCRA asking why they were releasing when it was clear we would need that water back in a matter of weeks or months. LCRA's answer - "Our hydrologist determined that we needed to release." My theory.... LCRA wants to keep the resource scarce to keep LCRA relevant and make the resource they control more valuable. Very few pay attention, and the others won't until there is a crisis.

"Our hydrologists determined that we needed to release." What? I would have immediately replied with "What present or upcoming events have lead to this decision?" "Our hydrologists have determined" is about as plausible as "because we wanted to."

Be safe,
Rayzor
[Linked Image]
2001 Triton Tx-21/225 Mercury EFI
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide