Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: There Comes A Time [Re: SK.] #14001022 05/17/21 07:16 PM
C
CrazyCrappieGuy Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
I have played around with color of jig a lot, and just never noticed a difference. Saturday on Fork I was having a hard time getting them to bite, I tried all colors did not help. That is mainly when I change colors is when they are not biting. When they are biting, I change colors for fun of it, and they bite any color. You fish different than me SK, you drop your jig and let it sit. I'm always moving my jig, I'm too ADD lol.

Re: There Comes A Time [Re: Fishbonz] #14001053 05/17/21 07:34 PM
C
CrazyCrappieGuy Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
Originally Posted by Fishbonz
116 views and not one single response.I`ll go. Just like you SK I hear the same thing sometimes "color doesn`t matter" rolleyes It reminds me of a trip to Lake Tawakoni`s Anchor Inn Marina one day when my fishing buddy "The Sarge" & I couldn`t get a crappie bite to save our lives with minnow or Jigs. We must have used just about every color and profile in our jig box at least I know I did but to no effect. Finally Sarge put on what I thought was the ugliest color jig in his box. It was a Red & mustard colored TUBE jig and instantly they started to bite. After all the BG ,Mr Crappie,Rocky Tops, Constant Pursuits etc this one color was the ticket! Lucky for me he had more than one. We didn`t limit out but I remember we came very close & we both left the marina very happy about the trip. I guess color doesn`t matter until it does.IMHO coolio

When they started biting, did you change colors again? I have been fishing before, they are not biting, I'm changing colors, then they start biting, then I think color does matter until I change color and they keep biting.

Re: There Comes A Time [Re: CrazyCrappieGuy] #14001696 05/18/21 11:30 AM
S
SK. Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
S
Originally Posted by CrazyCrappieGuy
I have played around with color of jig a lot, and just never noticed a difference. Saturday on Fork I was having a hard time getting them to bite, I tried all colors did not help. That is mainly when I change colors is when they are not biting. When they are biting, I change colors for fun of it, and they bite any color. You fish different than me SK, you drop your jig and let it sit. I'm always moving my jig, I'm too ADD lol.

There are several other factors that go along with catching crappie but if your on fish and go through the steps, color is definitely up near the top of the steps...... Being on top of fish is above color.....
You have to have fish to entice them to bite.....

Crappie Guide on Houston TX area lakes. Email to schedule a trip: skscrappiecatchingadventures@gmail.com or call my message line 281-301-9316

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING A PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE.....Onxy A/M 24 PFD's

Check Out SK's CRAPPIE Catching Adventures on YouTube....
https://www.youtube.com/user/fishingorhunting
Re: There Comes A Time [Re: SK.] #14001839 05/18/21 01:09 PM
C
CrazyCrappieGuy Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
Originally Posted by SK.

There are several other factors that go along with catching crappie but if your on fish and go through the steps, color is definitely up near the top of the steps...... Being on top of fish is above color.....
You have to have fish to entice them to bite.....

I’m taking about livescope when you see lots of fish. Just me personally, I have never noticed a difference with color. If they are biting, change color they still bite. They are not biting, change color they still don’t bite. I’ll keep changing color for the fun of it, maybe one day I’ll notice a difference.

Re: There Comes A Time [Re: SK.] #14001941 05/18/21 02:17 PM
hawghoover Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
if they have proven that fish are color blind,other than shades .what diff could it make?

Re: There Comes A Time [Re: hawghoover] #14002037 05/18/21 03:29 PM
C
CrazyCrappieGuy Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
Originally Posted by hawghoover
if they have proven that fish are color blind,other than shades .what diff could it make?

Not sure of your question, but you made me google this, good read. I think the conclusion is that color can help with visibility, but they do not prefer one color over another. I have found that when crappie are aggressive, you can drop a jig down over brush pile they will swim up to it and bite it, regardless of color. When they are not aggressive, I can drop jig in front of their face, they either immediately bite or they don't regardless of color. And sometimes they just don't bite at all, regardless of color.

https://www.chinookobserver.com/spo...056b513-f3ac-5376-b9c5-6b113f70c97a.html

Re: There Comes A Time [Re: CrazyCrappieGuy] #14002061 05/18/21 03:46 PM
C
CrazyCrappieGuy Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
One thing I like about livescope, it has made me use every jig in my tackle box, many I had for years and never used them because I was afraid to, I stuck to jigs that worked in the past. I had the "don't fix what is not broke" mentality.

Re: There Comes A Time [Re: SK.] #14002094 05/18/21 04:19 PM
S
SK. Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
S
There's been times when I'm killing fish on a color and let my bud know the color and he still can't catch nothing.... There's a lot more to catchn crappie than color but color is important.....
It's when those tuff times hit and you have to dot all your I's and cross all your T's that one detail left out will have that stinky cat riding next to you all the way home.....
Being positive and having confidence that you can figure them out plays a BIG role also......

Crappie Guide on Houston TX area lakes. Email to schedule a trip: skscrappiecatchingadventures@gmail.com or call my message line 281-301-9316

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING A PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE.....Onxy A/M 24 PFD's

Re: There Comes A Time [Re: SK.] #14004012 05/20/21 01:37 AM
K
Ken Gaby Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
K
About those aggressive fish: After fishing with a partner for 15 yrs, We've noted on several occasions that agressive fish may be in the eyes of the person holding the rod.
Just one example: fishing a large blow down in 18 FOW. He's fishing a Rocky Top in white/chart tipped with minnow and I've got a platic jig body in chart on a pink head. I catch one and after 5 minutes another one. Fish are there. I switch to blue/chart and catch 8 fish on 8 drops while he catches NONE. So his conclusion would be those fish weren't aggressive. My conclusion was they were on fire.
We could have moved to find more aggressive fish, but I picked up another rod and game on.
Sometimes they will and sometimes they won't.

A life without God is like an unsharpened pencil, it has no point. Billy Graham
www.thermoclinelures.com "Helping YOU catch MORE & LARGER fish!"
http://www.crazyanglertackle.com Premium crappie baits and jig tying accessories
http://www.proanglertackle.com Best crappie and catfish rods/reels
http://www.beereadys.com World's Best Rod Holders
Re: There Comes A Time [Re: Fishbonz] #14004325 05/20/21 01:33 PM
S
Shady15 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
116 views and not one single response.I`ll go. Just like you SK I hear the same thing sometimes "color doesn`t matter" rolleyes It reminds me of a trip to Lake Tawakoni`s Anchor Inn Marina one day when my fishing buddy "The Sarge" & I couldn`t get a crappie bite to save our lives with minnow or Jigs. We must have used just about every color and profile in our jig box at least I know I did but to no effect. Finally Sarge put on what I thought was the ugliest color jig in his box. It was a Red & mustard colored TUBE jig and instantly they started to bite. After all the BG ,Mr Crappie,Rocky Tops, Constant Pursuits etc this one color was the ticket! Lucky for me he had more than one. We didn`t limit out but I remember we came very close & we both left the marina very happy about the trip. I guess color doesn`t matter until it does.IMHO coolio

Stories like this make me mad that I have quit on big schools that “just weren’t biting”.

Re: There Comes A Time [Re: Ken Gaby] #14006763 05/22/21 06:44 PM
S
SK. Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
S
Originally Posted by Ken Gaby
About those aggressive fish: After fishing with a partner for 15 yrs, We've noted on several occasions that agressive fish may be in the eyes of the person holding the rod.
Just one example: fishing a large blow down in 18 FOW. He's fishing a Rocky Top in white/chart tipped with minnow and I've got a platic jig body in chart on a pink head. I catch one and after 5 minutes another one. Fish are there. I switch to blue/chart and catch 8 fish on 8 drops while he catches NONE. So his conclusion would be those fish weren't aggressive. My conclusion was they were on fire.
We could have moved to find more aggressive fish, but I picked up another rod and game on.
Sometimes they will and sometimes they won't.

Ken I see this over and over and over and.... well you get the point..... Color definitely does matter.... If you're not a believer then...ooohhh well.... You don't know cause......you.......just......don't......know..... confused 3

Re: There Comes A Time [Re: SK.] #14007412 05/23/21 01:04 PM
hawghoover Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
i only have 3 color jigs in my box! if they dont bite them i go to another brush pile.after about 6 brush piles with no fish i go home.come back tomorrow! i used to have every color made in 8 boxes and many times catch nothing.i now only carry 3 proven colors and most of the time they will produce.

Last edited by hawghoover; 05/23/21 01:05 PM.
Re: There Comes A Time [Re: CrazyCrappieGuy] #14007651 05/23/21 04:29 PM
F
Fishbonz Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
F

When they started biting, did you change colors again? I have been fishing before, they are not biting, I'm changing colors, then they start biting, then I think color does matter until I change color and they keep biting.

Why would I change colors CCG when the Color I was using was getting Bit? hmmm NOPE Did I mention that I had used just about color I had in my meager jig box?

Last edited by Fishbonz; 05/23/21 04:40 PM.

HE aka Fishbonz
Re: There Comes A Time [Re: SK.] #14007670 05/23/21 04:46 PM
TryHard Offline
Angler
Angler
Originally Posted by SK.
still hold my belief that color is one of the most important things in catching crappie..... Well not THE most important but really high on the list, 1st is definitely fishing where there's crappie.....
What You Say?

I think that without livescope, our individual crappie opinions would be shared with a lot less certainty.

Last edited by TryHard; 05/23/21 04:49 PM.
Re: There Comes A Time [Re: hawghoover] #14007675 05/23/21 04:51 PM
S
SK. Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
S
Originally Posted by hawghoover
i only have 3 color jigs in my box! if they dont bite them i go to another brush pile.after about 6 brush piles with no fish i go home.come back tomorrow! i used to have every color made in 8 boxes and many times catch nothing.i now only carry 3 proven colors and most of the time they will produce.

I appreciate your honesty..... I'd agree with every person that ever said they only used a couple two or three colors if they told the truth, most act as if they limit every trip only using a color or two..... Even with changing colors and several other important steps there's a chance of the fish not wanting what you're dropping.....
I'm hard headed and want to get the fish to bite every trip so I go those extra steps to greatly improve my chances of holding some slabs.....

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide