Page 1 of 2 1 2
Hand Line Fishing #13986573 05/05/21 02:40 PM
N
nick anderson Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
N
Anyone ever handline fished for reds before .

Last edited by nick anderson; 05/05/21 03:50 PM.
Re: Hand Line Fishing [Re: nick anderson] #13986589 05/05/21 02:57 PM
K
K5RCD Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
K
Is this method legal in Texas?
I've often wondered about that.
Does anyone know for SURE?
Here is a quote from the TPWD Outdoor Annual regarding legal fishing methods.
Note: Handline is not mentioned.

Legal Devices, Methods & Restrictions
Valid Sep. 1, 2020 through Aug. 31, 2021.
These devices, subject to restrictions listed, may be used to take fish and other aquatic life in Texas public waters.

Game fish may be taken only by pole and line (which includes rod and reel), except as otherwise provided in this guide.
A person may fish with multiple poles or other devices, except as provided in this guide.
In fresh water, it is unlawful to fish with more than 100 hooks on all devices combined.
In fresh water, it is unlawful to take fish with a hand-operated device held underwater except that a spear or spear gun may be used to take nongame fish.
Methods and devices not listed here are not legal for use in Texas.

Re: Hand Line Fishing [Re: nick anderson] #13995417 05/13/21 12:07 AM
O
Osbornfishing Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
O
Handline fishing is legal in Texas. I have documented state records in the other methods category using this method. I have handline fished for redfish (red drum), so it can be done. Handline fishing has a lot of issues. To overcome those I developed the Plnor (Pole and Line No Reel) fishing method. It is really fun and exciting. You can use it for any species. Here is the state record redfish caught without a reel.

[Linked Image]

Re: Hand Line Fishing [Re: nick anderson] #13995593 05/13/21 01:38 AM
P
Pat Goff Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
P
You might think you're good, until you see the Mexicans wading Boca Chica tearing you up using a coke bottle.

Pat Goff
Seadrift TX
[Linked Image]
Re: Hand Line Fishing [Re: Pat Goff] #13995738 05/13/21 04:37 AM
O
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
O
Originally Posted by Pat Goff
You might think you're good, until you see the Mexicans wading Boca Chica tearing you up using a coke bottle.

I have a great deal of respect for the coke bottle anglers. There are some really good ones in the Keys. Handline fishing is really fun and effective, but it does have limitations. Plnor fishing is just a different style. Adding the rod gives you more flexibility, especially from a boat.

Re: Hand Line Fishing [Re: nick anderson] #13996305 05/13/21 05:55 PM
S
smooth move Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Lol! we were in the Fl Keys last week and I hook up on a Tarpon. the line got tangled with another angler on the boat. the guide was trying to untangle it with no success. i asked him if he had any gloves in the boat, that i would try to hand line it. i guess he thought i was kidding, because he acted like that was nuts and kept fooling with the tangle. well the fish swam between the bridge columns and cut me off. two trips for tarpon on two different days with no luck. tarpon still on my bucket list.

es le bon ton roulet
Re: Hand Line Fishing [Re: smooth move] #13997909 05/14/21 09:21 PM
O
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
O
Originally Posted by smooth move
Lol! we were in the Fl Keys last week and I hook up on a Tarpon. the line got tangled with another angler on the boat. the guide was trying to untangle it with no success. i asked him if he had any gloves in the boat, that i would try to hand line it. i guess he thought i was kidding, because he acted like that was nuts and kept fooling with the tangle. well the fish swam between the bridge columns and cut me off. two trips for tarpon on two different days with no luck. tarpon still on my bucket list.

Those pesky tarpon can be tough to get your hands on. Depending on the size line, it would have been hard to get a big one in by handling. However, it could be done if you were careful. I would love to have seen that show. roflmao Keep after them. You are in the best place in the world to get your hands on a nice one.

Re: Hand Line Fishing [Re: Osbornfishing] #13998663 05/15/21 03:34 PM
K
K5RCD Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
K
Originally Posted by Osbornfishing
Handline fishing is legal in Texas. I have documented state records in the other methods category using this method. I have handline fished for redfish (red drum), so it can be done.

As I quoted above in the regulations per the Texas Outdoor Annual, how or where do you find that handline fishing is legal? I don't mean to argue, and hope it IS legal, as I would like to do so myself, but just don't see how it is per the quoted regulations, as no "pole and line" is involved. What argument would you use if a game warden or a deputy tried to cite you from the regulations by the "letter of the law"? I don't think that is beyond the realm of possibilities. I'm just trying to understand. I would be hesitant to rely on an answer from an individual game warden, as they have given me differing opinions on other regulations in the past.
Thanks.

Re: Hand Line Fishing [Re: K5RCD] #13998935 05/15/21 09:28 PM
O
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
O
Originally Posted by K5RCD
Originally Posted by Osbornfishing
Handline fishing is legal in Texas. I have documented state records in the other methods category using this method. I have handline fished for redfish (red drum), so it can be done.

As I quoted above in the regulations per the Texas Outdoor Annual, how or where do you find that handline fishing is legal? I don't mean to argue, and hope it IS legal, as I would like to do so myself, but just don't see how it is per the quoted regulations, as no "pole and line" is involved. What argument would you use if a game warden or a deputy tried to cite you from the regulations by the "letter of the law"? I don't think that is beyond the realm of possibilities. I'm just trying to understand. I would be hesitant to rely on an answer from an individual game warden, as they have given me differing opinions on other regulations in the past.
Thanks.

First, I do not consider your questions to be an argument. I respect you trying to stay within the law and I really enjoy discussing fishing, especially other methods of fishing.

I addressed handline fishing with TPWD several decades ago. I was told the category was “Pole” and “Line” not “Pole and Line.” So line fishing (handline) was legal. I know, I know. I thought the same thing, but that is what I was told. I started handline fishing and later evolved the technique into Plnor fishing.

I documented several state records using a handline. Until a recent change by the TPWD, you could see the listings on the other methods saltwater state record page. For some reason TPWD converted the method column from all of the different methods to unrestricted. But, I took a picture of a copy of the page before the conversation. Here is the picture.

[Linked Image]

As you can see handline is listed as the fishing method 4 times on just this page. You can still see the species and date listed on the current other methods category on the TPWD website. Therefore, unless I received state records for an illegal category, handline fishing is legal in Texas.

That is as long as you are not holding the “pole” or “line” underwater in freshwater. roflmao

I hope this helps to clarify the issue. And let us know when you catch one with a handline.

Re: Hand Line Fishing [Re: Osbornfishing] #13999496 05/16/21 02:45 PM
K
K5RCD Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
K
Thanks for the clarification. I will start carrying a hand line and some Fishbites and Gulp in my truck so I can toss in a line on occasion. I will probably use 20 or 30 lb. mono on a 2 liter plastic soda bottle, and carry a pair of work gloves just in case I tag onto a big one. It seems strange that TPWD doesn't just add "handline" to the list of legal methods so it would be more clear. I've never been able to get a clear explanation of the regs on keeping 10% of undersize Blue Crabs. That just doesn't make sense.

Re: Hand Line Fishing [Re: nick anderson] #13999687 05/16/21 05:18 PM
O
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
O
Try using fly line with a mono leader. It is much easier on your hands. If you do that you do not need gloves till you get to fish over 50 pounds roflmao I use Dacron backing for fish that make long runs.

Unfortunately, regulations are getting more confusing and the implementation often makes little sense.

Re: Hand Line Fishing [Re: nick anderson] #14001262 05/17/21 11:14 PM
A
atx_ben Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
Seriously a 1lb/15" speck on a handline? That record is made to be broken...

Re: Hand Line Fishing [Re: atx_ben] #14001846 05/18/21 01:18 PM
O
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
O
Originally Posted by atx_ben
Seriously a 1lb/15" speck on a handline? That record is made to be broken...

Yes it is. I even wrote a book, titled “The Art of Fishing for Records” to tell everybody ways to get there own records and still there are a lot of records like this just waiting to be broken. roflmao I already have plenty of state records. Go get you one.

Re: Hand Line Fishing [Re: nick anderson] #14003600 05/19/21 05:23 PM
N
nick anderson Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
N

Re: Hand Line Fishing [Re: nick anderson] #14004013 05/20/21 01:37 AM
O
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
O
Originally Posted by nick anderson

Congratulations on getting one on a handline. It is really fun to feel every movement of the fish.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide