Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Active target display #14001242 05/17/21 10:54 PM
Regularfishinguy Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
I installed my Active target middle of March, running it on hds live. My question is there a way to sync directional I-con
at the top right corner of the screen. It never seems to be pointing the same direction as my Trolling motor. I’m using the shaft mount option on my Ultrex.
Ca ca can a man get a little help. Thanks

Re: Active target display [Re: Regularfishinguy] #14015723 05/30/21 09:00 PM
N
NitroRunner Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
N
Yesterday was my first day on the water with my new Active Target. I had the same issue so I will be doing some research on this. If I find anything I'll let you know.

PB Black Bass 11.58
PB Peacock Bass 25+
PB Rainbow Trout 8+
Re: Active target display [Re: Regularfishinguy] #14015924 05/31/21 01:05 AM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
The Ghost trolling motor has a calibration step for the trolling motor position. I'm not sure what all that information may be used for, but the direction of the TM could theoretically be shared from the Ghost on the NMEA network connection. The Lowrance MFD won't have any way to understand the heading info of another brand trolling motor, so you may be out of luck.

I don't have an Active Target to play with yet, so my Lowrance units won't display the setup pages. However, I've read the documentation for all components extensively, and I saw nothing about how to make the desired adjustment for a non-Lowrance brand TM.

Re: Active target display [Re: Flippin-Out] #14017710 06/01/21 08:29 PM
N
NitroRunner Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
N
I was out on the water yesterday for the second time with my new Active Target. First thing in the morning it synced on start up. I did not change anything. It stayed synced most of the day but a few times when I put the Ghost in anchor mode and the Ghost was quite active it would lose the sync for a while. Sometimes took ten or 15 minutes to get back in sync. I think Flippin Out is correct. I did do the Ghost set up per the manual and aligned the Ghost to the center-line of the hull. Good luck

PB Black Bass 11.58
PB Peacock Bass 25+
PB Rainbow Trout 8+
Re: Active target display [Re: NitroRunner] #14017731 06/01/21 08:49 PM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Originally Posted by NitroRunner
I was out on the water yesterday for the second time with my new Active Target. First thing in the morning it synced on start up. I did not change anything. It stayed synced most of the day but a few times when I put the Ghost in anchor mode and the Ghost was quite active it would lose the sync for a while. Sometimes took ten or 15 minutes to get back in sync. I think Flippin Out is correct. I did do the Ghost set up per the manual and aligned the Ghost to the center-line of the hull. Good luck

i thought about it some more, and here are my comments and suspicions. Note that I have not proven this in any way, nor do I have any special access to what the software does.
1) The Ghost has a "puck" module. That puck is a TMC (Trolling Motor Compass), not a Point-1 device as some people have incorrectly assumed, per Lowrance.
2) So, the Ghost can know which way it is pointing.
3) The Ghost has a NMEA2000 connection. It is possible (and likely) that the Ghost shares it's heading info via this network at some time interval. We don't know anything about what the other devices on the network do with that information as Lowrance has not confirmed the heading sharing, nor what it might be used for.
4) Theoretically, a MFD could use the heading info to render the transducer direction indicator on the MFD's Active Target page display. Such a display might have a lag due to heading reports and processor priority; there may also be periods of uncertainty if the Ghost is rapidly changing its heading, such as when in anchor mode.

I agree that the value of any active sonar image will likely diminish when the transducer heading is changing often or erratic. This will "smear" the image as the transducer is rotated. We've seen the popularity of having a separate stable mount for other brand live sonar transducers, and that's probably going to happen with Active Target for some users. But, when we put the transducer on a dedicated mount, we'll have to ignore that transducer position indicator icon in the upper right corner of the Active Target page view. A nice/obvious direction indicator at the top of any dedicated mount will be a key feature of a successful product accessory I would think.

Re: Active target display [Re: Regularfishinguy] #14017933 06/02/21 12:15 AM
L
Larry Hutchens Lowrance Pro S Online Content
Angler
Online Content
Angler
L
The heading that is used on the MFD comes from a sensor in the AT transducer. So putting it on a stick will most certainly help with the movement on anchor lock from the TM movement. The syncing or alignment is auto to date don't know of any manual or calibration to correct it at this point.

Lowrance On Water Training
www.LowranceOnWater.com

Lowrance Pro-Staff since 1986 Bass and Crappie Fishing, Hunting, Farming, On Water Training , Exploring Texas and its history.
Re: Active target display [Re: Regularfishinguy] #14017989 06/02/21 01:05 AM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
That's very interesting! So, you're saying that there is a magnetic field sensor (compass of sorts) built into the transducer module itself? If so, that would be very helpful when placing the transducer on a dedicated mounting shaft.

Re: Active target display [Re: Flippin-Out] #14018152 06/02/21 03:20 AM
L
Angler
Online Content
Angler
L
Originally Posted by Flippin-Out
That's very interesting! So, you're saying that there is a magnetic field sensor (compass of sorts) built into the transducer module itself? If so, that would be very helpful when placing the transducer on a dedicated mounting shaft.

Yes The sensor is in the Transducer not the module or box.

www.LowranceOnWater.com

Lowrance Pro-Staff since 1986 Bass and Crappie Fishing, Hunting, Farming, On Water Training , Exploring Texas and its history.
Re: Active target display [Re: NitroRunner] #14018154 06/02/21 03:21 AM
L
Angler
Online Content
Angler
L
Originally Posted by NitroRunner

Try turning on Stable View when on anchor lock.

www.LowranceOnWater.com

Re: Active target display [Re: Regularfishinguy] #14090339 08/10/21 07:34 PM
J
jbbacres Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
J
Configuration - helm HDS live, bow HDS live, connected via ethernet, Ghost TM and TMC-1 heading sensor connected to helm unit via ethernet, active target connected to helm unit via ethernet. My direction cone on the helm unit indicates as the same as the TM direction but the bow unit is 130 degree to the right.
You can adjust the cone heading using MFD/setting/sonar/ActiveTarget/Heading offset to align the cone angle to match TM position. When I adjust the heading offset the difference in the bow unit same the same or keeps the 130 degree difference.
From my research on other forms and on the boat the AT heading cone is independent from the TM or MFD, thus you can mount the AT transducer on a stick, rotate it and the cone follows the stick/transducer position. I have communicated this back to Lowrance and waiting their response.
I have seen the same lag between the TM movement and the direction cone and it taking some time to read correctly again.

Re: Active target display [Re: jbbacres] #14090365 08/10/21 07:53 PM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Originally Posted by jbbacres
Configuration - helm HDS live, bow HDS live, connected via ethernet, Ghost TM and TMC-1 heading sensor connected to helm unit via ethernet, active target connected to helm unit via ethernet. My direction cone on the helm unit indicates as the same as the TM direction but the bow unit is 130 degree to the right.
You can adjust the cone heading using MFD/setting/sonar/ActiveTarget/Heading offset to align the cone angle to match TM position. When I adjust the heading offset the difference in the bow unit same the same or keeps the 130 degree difference.
From my research on other forms and on the boat the AT heading cone is independent from the TM or MFD, thus you can mount the AT transducer on a stick, rotate it and the cone follows the stick/transducer position. I have communicated this back to Lowrance and waiting their response.
I have seen the same lag between the TM movement and the direction cone and it taking some time to read correctly again.

You are in error. First, the TMC-1 doesn't connect to the system with any standard network. The Trolling Motor Compass connects to the Ghost on a dedicated cable. We actually don't know what type interface that connection is. Make sure you have the TMC-1 connected to the dedicated cable coming out of the TM foot pedal. Why do you connect the Active Target to the helm unit? Undoubtedly you're looking at Active Target at the bow MFD, so why not connect the AT Ethernet cable to THAT unit. Your issue may not exist if you don't unnecessarily route all the data through the helm unit and THEN to the bow unit.

Yes, theoretically it should work when routing the AT through 2 units, but you are making the system more complicated. As to how the heading is determined, I am told there is a compass integral to the AT transducer module. If the AT is directly connected to the MFD you are viewing AT on, then maybe the adjustment will work as intended. Is your bow unit mounted to the boat perpendicular to the keel, or do you have it mounted at an angle to one side?

Re: Active target display [Re: Flippin-Out] #14090489 08/10/21 09:42 PM
J
jbbacres Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
J
Flippin-out you are correct. the TMC-1 is connected directly to the TM. AT connected to the helm for a couple of reasons. My boat (Ranger 620VS) came with both MFD's panel mounted at the helm and bow, connected via Ethernet. I located the AT control module under my helm console in an open area, close to power and utilized the provided 3 foot Ethernet cable to connect to the helm MFD. Most importantly my wife fish's in the back and wants the helm MFD to reflect what I'm seeing. Bow unit is mounted perpendicular to the keel. I have a 9 at the bow and a 12 at the helm and don't recall if there are two Ethernet connections on the 9. Will look and maybe connect the AT directly to the bow and Ethernet to the helm and see the results.
I understand your thought of making the system more complicated but I would think the Ethernet connection would not care what is connected first, the views are replicated perfectly so why not the direction cone.
There are two ethernet ports on the back of the 9 so I'll slave in a ethernet cable between the AT module and 9 and note any difference.

Last edited by jbbacres; 08/10/21 11:26 PM.
Re: Active target display [Re: Regularfishinguy] #14091531 08/11/21 07:43 PM
RandyD Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I do believe, when you have multiple Lowrance units on ethernet, the first unit that is turned on is considered "master" and the others are slaves. Not sure how this could impact the AT. The only thing I'm aware of where this master -slave needs to be considered is for map cards. If you don't turn on the unit with the map card first, ie...the helm, the map card will not show at the bow.

Require a whole lot of luck...

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide