Page 1 of 2 1 2
It was a close one..... #13998377 05/15/21 04:02 AM
D
Dogfish_Jones Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
D
I decided to take the day off work today and go fishing. First stop I hung up my shakes head and trying to pop it loose I broke my rod.
Then I looked down and notice the rubber plug coming from my Ultrex was popped out and knew that I would have to take the casing off to replace it back in the slot when I got home.
Then when I loaded up my boat on the trailer I started to get out of my boat. I have a 2020 Nitro Z20 with the step out front and I stepped off the boat onto the step and the complete step broke off and there I go flipping over and landing on my left knee, elbow and back onto the ramp concrete.
Let me tell you that hurt!
All in all I feel lucky I wasn’t hurt anymore than a sore knee, elbow and back. No broken bones or cuts. After clearing the cobwebs from my head I looked and wondered how did I ever miss my back bumper of my truck. Thinking later after I got home and fixed the Wiring plug on my Ultrex I am glad I did not land on my head or neck into the concrete and maybe breaking my neck.
The weld on the step was poor at best, it wasn’t even welded all the way, just spot welded in 4 spots. Of course the warranty on the trailer is only for 1 year and I’ve had it 15 months. But I will weld it back but all the way around and with supports to make sure that NEVER happens again.
My wife wants to send Nitro a letter and pictures of it to show their poor workmanship. She says if I am still sore and stove up tomorrow she wants me to go get x-rays and get checked out.
I guess the worst spot is my elbow and falling a good 4’ onto concrete will do that to you.
But it was a close call today, I’ll be a little skittish every time I will put my foot on it when climbing off the boat. I don’t need a repeat of that again.

2020 Nitro Z20, Mercury 250xp 4 stroke
"Sometimes I have to remind myself that it is called Fishing and not catching"
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: It was a close one..... [Re: Dogfish_Jones] #13998382 05/15/21 04:10 AM
T
the skipper Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
Ouch. That could have been much worse.

Re: It was a close one..... [Re: Dogfish_Jones] #13998398 05/15/21 05:03 AM
1oldbassguy Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted by Dogfish_Jones
I decided to take the day off work today and go fishing. First stop I hung up my shakes head and trying to pop it loose I broke my rod.
Then I looked down and notice the rubber plug coming from my Ultrex was popped out and knew that I would have to take the casing off to replace it back in the slot when I got home.
Then when I loaded up my boat on the trailer I started to get out of my boat. I have a 2020 Nitro Z20 with the step out front and I stepped off the boat onto the step and the complete step broke off and there I go flipping over and landing on my left knee, elbow and back onto the ramp concrete.
All in all I feel lucky I wasn’t hurt anymore than a sore knee, elbow and back. No broken bones or cuts. After clearing the cobwebs from my head I looked and wondered how did I ever miss my back bumper of my truck. Thinking later after I got home and fixed the Wiring plug on my Ultrex I am glad I did not land on my head or neck into the concrete and maybe breaking my neck.
The weld on the step was poor at best, it wasn’t even welded all the way, just spot welded in 4 spots. Of course the warranty on the trailer is only for 1 year and I’ve had it 15 months. But I will weld it back but all the way around and with supports to make sure that NEVER happens again.
My wife wants to send Nitro a letter and pictures of it to show their poor workmanship. She says if I am still sore and stove up tomorrow she wants me to go get x-rays and get checked out.
I guess the worst spot is my elbow and falling a good 4’ onto concrete will do that to you.
But it was a close call today, I’ll be a little skittish every time I will put my foot on it when climbing off the boat. I don’t need a repeat of that again.

Sounds like a rough day for sure . Look on the bright side --- could have been much worse . I just started getting back on the water today . 6 weeks ago I had an " accident " removing the oven door for my wife . Not paying any attention and fearful of breaking something on this oversized , over priced Viking oven ( mainly the glass section ) . As I start pulling the door off , had my right hand to close to the spring loaded latch and when it cut loose , it snapped back and totally crushed the back of my thumb , trip to the emergency , 5 stiches , broken knuckle , and eventually $1250 out of pocket . On the bright side , it didn't severe the tendon so I have most of the function in my thumb ---lesson learned and a silver lining .

Re: It was a close one..... [Re: Dogfish_Jones] #13998411 05/15/21 05:56 AM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Originally Posted by Dogfish_Jones

Wow. Challenging day. BTW, I'd be like your wife on the plan to notify Nitro, but sadly, I seriously doubt that Johnny Morris will give a chit; he's got most of the market locked up, and there are limited other places a customer can go. Even if you never buy another of his many brand boats, there is an endless supply of first-time owners.

Re: It was a close one..... [Re: Dogfish_Jones] #13998487 05/15/21 11:40 AM
361V Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
“Some days you’re the windshield/some days you’re the bug”

Re: It was a close one..... [Re: Dogfish_Jones] #13998506 05/15/21 12:18 PM
G
grout-scout Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
G
Ouch, things like this make me cringe. Just think about getting your arm or leg between two cross bars and snapping the bone... barf

Re: It was a close one..... [Re: Dogfish_Jones] #13998514 05/15/21 12:26 PM
L
leethefishking Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
You need to make them aware as well as your dealer. If it was only tacked that’s clear negligence and next time it could get someone killed.

Re: It was a close one..... [Re: Dogfish_Jones] #13998594 05/15/21 02:03 PM
C
ChanceHuiet Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
I'd let WMR know anyhow. Warranty or not thats just a piss poor crafted trailer step. They need to be made aware.

Originally Posted by lakeforkfisherman
I can backlash toilet paper.
Re: It was a close one..... [Re: Dogfish_Jones] #13998601 05/15/21 02:10 PM
D
Dan21XRS Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
D
You said you went fishing... Did you catch any? fish

Glad you're still in one piece... A little ice on that elbow may help... Dan

"The problem with having a sense of humor is often that people you use it on aren't in a very good mood"...
Lou Holtz
Re: It was a close one..... [Re: Dogfish_Jones] #13998607 05/15/21 02:16 PM
BeltonBasser Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Wow! I just put bought one from BassPro and installed on my Nitro trailer… I need to run out and see how it is welded now.

You should DEFINITELY inform Nitro… I disagree Johnny Morris would not want to know about such a very serious safety issue from one of his vendors who make this part.

"The hours a man spends while fishing are not deducted from those of his lifespan."- Unknown Author
Re: It was a close one..... [Re: Dogfish_Jones] #13998647 05/15/21 03:21 PM
D
Dogfish_Jones Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
D
This morning my elbow and shoulder is sore. I can really feel that fall today. My wife is livid!!
Of course Nitro customer service is closed today and they do not even have an E-mail to send anything to them, just a phone number.
I looked at the tack weld....they only did it on the side not the top and bottom on the plate/bracket. I can see where it had already broke and the fresh break from yesterday because of the rust and shiny part. So this was an accident that WAS going to happen.

Dan, I caught around 6 or 7, but nothing bigger than 2 lbs.
1oldbassguy, ouch! It seems as get get older we find ourselves getting hurt, like we seem to find accidents.

Re: It was a close one..... [Re: 361V] #13998649 05/15/21 03:22 PM
D
Dogfish_Jones Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
D
Originally Posted by 361V
“Some days you’re the windshield/some days you’re the bug”

I was definitely the bug!

Re: It was a close one..... [Re: Dogfish_Jones] #13998669 05/15/21 03:38 PM
D
Dogfish_Jones Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
D
To add my thoughts here....
First off everything that broke yesterday wasn’t a Nitro boat item.
Daiwa Rod
Minn Kota trolling motor
The step? Yea maybe Nitro but not the boat. Plus I will agree the trailers they have from my experience is the worse trailers I’ve ever had. This is my 2nd Nitro and the boats have been solid and have never had an issue with them.

Re: It was a close one..... [Re: Dogfish_Jones] #13998679 05/15/21 03:46 PM
BCBassCat Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Yeah dude you were snake bit, big time. Sorry to hear about all that.

Re: It was a close one..... [Re: Dogfish_Jones] #13999155 05/16/21 02:10 AM
M
meP2too Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
M
I would discuss your trailer with an attorney, warranty coverage is one thing, structural failure is another.
You will be sore for several days, it might get progressively worse.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide