texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Addi, Dogfish2020, CatDaddy101, sktrbass, S Palmer
115354 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
TexDawg 102,310
hopalong 96,958
Pilothawk 80,875
John175☮ 79,112
Bigbob_FTW 73,796
JDavis7873 67,402
Derek 🐝 66,618
Mark Perry 62,836
Forum Statistics
Forums61
Topics1,148,912
Posts15,707,104
Members140,354
Most Online36,273
Jan 23rd, 2013
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Are you a bank or open water angler? #13994606 05/12/21 03:01 PM
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 165
D
Dogfish_Jones Online Content OP
Outdoorsman
OP Online Content
Outdoorsman
D
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 165
You could be both which is what I consider the best of both worlds.
Myself, I am much more comfortable beating the banks. Lay downs, docks, rocks, rip raps and the such. I will fish offshore humps and brush piles if I can find them but my confidence in catching bass are much lower.
My favorite depths to fish are 12' or less. It seems I can use so many different baits/lures to try and figure out what they are biting for that day. In deeper water, I will try throwing a Spro's DD crankbait around the 25' depth, maybe crawling a C-rig and then throwing a shaky head. Other than that that's pretty much it for off shore fishing for me.
I fish the banks about 80% of the time, open water the other 20% of the time.
What I might consider an in between is a creek leading into the main river section. It might be 50' from the bank but I am within 10' of shallow water that drops off to deeper water. If I find bass in that area it does seem that are stacked and I can catch a good amount in that area.

Last edited by Dogfish_Jones; 05/12/21 03:02 PM.

2020 Nitro Z20, Mercury 250xp 4 stroke
"Sometimes I have to remind myself that it is called Fishing and not catching"
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Are you a bank or open water angler? [Re: Dogfish_Jones] #13994621 05/12/21 03:11 PM
Joined: Apr 2020
Posts: 40
D
danial S Offline
Outdoorsman
Offline
Outdoorsman
D
Joined: Apr 2020
Posts: 40
primarily, im a bank fisherman. dont go much off of it, but recently my interest has been piqued by wade fishing in creeks with UL gear. definitely much more fun than bank fishing, and I think I'm going to end up sticking to that much more than regular bank fishing. it gives me so much more access, and not to mention I don't get as hot while I'm in the water laugh

Re: Are you a bank or open water angler? [Re: Dogfish_Jones] #13994652 05/12/21 03:37 PM
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,559
R
redskeet100 Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
R
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,559
I have more confidence casting & flipping cover I can see. Just upgraded the electronics this year and am really going to work on off shore. My confidence is low out there, I can catch one or two, but never get into the school like some guys talk about in these offshore spots. Not sure what I do wrong, but am determined to figure it out this year.

Re: Are you a bank or open water angler? [Re: Dogfish_Jones] #13994716 05/12/21 04:09 PM
Joined: Feb 2021
Posts: 440
T
Teeners boat Offline
Angler
Offline
Angler
T
Joined: Feb 2021
Posts: 440
Bank beater here. Love fishing heavy cover, stumps, pads, reeds & grass/weed lines. I feel bass are creatures of habit & have busted many a big ol girl beating the banks even in the winter. 12' or less works for me all the time.


Russell May
Re: Are you a bank or open water angler? [Re: Dogfish_Jones] #13994721 05/12/21 04:14 PM
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 43,387
RATZ Online Happy
Activity Coordinator
Online Happy
Activity Coordinator
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 43,387
I'm a bankbeater


If God is your co-pilot then change seats



[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Are you a bank or open water angler? [Re: Dogfish_Jones] #13994797 05/12/21 05:12 PM
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 1,827
A
avid_basser Offline
Extreme Angler
Offline
Extreme Angler
A
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 1,827
Bank beater learning offshore this year

Re: Are you a bank or open water angler? [Re: Dogfish_Jones] #13994839 05/12/21 05:32 PM
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 130
G
Gamblingman Offline
Outdoorsman
Offline
Outdoorsman
G
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 130
I fish out of a kayak so I fish shallow but if I get to fish out of a boat I do enjoy fishing deep


Lets go fishing

Paul
Re: Are you a bank or open water angler? [Re: Dogfish_Jones] #13994946 05/12/21 06:29 PM
Joined: Jun 2020
Posts: 884
G
grandbassslayer Online Happy
Pro Angler
Online Happy
Pro Angler
G
Joined: Jun 2020
Posts: 884
Originally Posted by Dogfish_Jones
You could be both which is what I consider the best of both worlds.
Myself, I am much more comfortable beating the banks. Lay downs, docks, rocks, rip raps and the such. I will fish offshore humps and brush piles if I can find them but my confidence in catching bass are much lower.
My favorite depths to fish are 12' or less. It seems I can use so many different baits/lures to try and figure out what they are biting for that day. In deeper water, I will try throwing a Spro's DD crankbait around the 25' depth, maybe crawling a C-rig and then throwing a shaky head. Other than that that's pretty much it for off shore fishing for me.
I fish the banks about 80% of the time, open water the other 20% of the time.
What I might consider an in between is a creek leading into the main river section. It might be 50' from the bank but I am within 10' of shallow water that drops off to deeper water. If I find bass in that area it does seem that are stacked and I can catch a good amount in that area.

You need to try a 3/4 football jig offshore.

Re: Are you a bank or open water angler? [Re: Dogfish_Jones] #13994985 05/12/21 06:54 PM
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 12,457
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 12,457
I’m a super shallow water guy. If I ain’t kickin up mud, I aim towards the bank a little more.


Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Are you a bank or open water angler? [Re: Dogfish_Jones] #13995040 05/12/21 07:23 PM
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 132
B
Bradley McCaw Offline
Outdoorsman
Offline
Outdoorsman
B
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 132
Offshore for sure, love throwing 10xds and big ribbontails on piles offshore.

Re: Are you a bank or open water angler? [Re: grandbassslayer] #13995087 05/12/21 07:48 PM
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 165
D
Dogfish_Jones Online Content OP
Outdoorsman
OP Online Content
Outdoorsman
D
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 165
Originally Posted by grandbassslayer
Originally Posted by Dogfish_Jones
You could be both which is what I consider the best of both worlds.
Myself, I am much more comfortable beating the banks. Lay downs, docks, rocks, rip raps and the such. I will fish offshore humps and brush piles if I can find them but my confidence in catching bass are much lower.
My favorite depths to fish are 12' or less. It seems I can use so many different baits/lures to try and figure out what they are biting for that day. In deeper water, I will try throwing a Spro's DD crankbait around the 25' depth, maybe crawling a C-rig and then throwing a shaky head. Other than that that's pretty much it for off shore fishing for me.
I fish the banks about 80% of the time, open water the other 20% of the time.
What I might consider an in between is a creek leading into the main river section. It might be 50' from the bank but I am within 10' of shallow water that drops off to deeper water. If I find bass in that area it does seem that are stacked and I can catch a good amount in that area.

You need to try a 3/4 football jig offshore.

I will throw a football jig sometimes, I do throw a swimming jig in shallower water.


2020 Nitro Z20, Mercury 250xp 4 stroke
"Sometimes I have to remind myself that it is called Fishing and not catching"
Re: Are you a bank or open water angler? [Re: Dogfish_Jones] #13995089 05/12/21 07:50 PM
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 1,488
G
greenen Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
G
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 1,488
I generally try to fish where nothing will bite.

Re: Are you a bank or open water angler? [Re: Dogfish_Jones] #13995140 05/12/21 08:28 PM
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 564
E
El Skeeter Offline
Pro Angler
Offline
Pro Angler
E
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 564
My confidence lies in open water hydrilla. Except durning the spawn even then transitional offshore routes are targeted first.

Re: Are you a bank or open water angler? [Re: Dogfish_Jones] #13995145 05/12/21 08:30 PM
Joined: Sep 2018
Posts: 170
21sammy Offline
Outdoorsman
Offline
Outdoorsman
Joined: Sep 2018
Posts: 170
I have been a bank beater but am starting to gain more confidence in offshore fishing.


- Sammy,
"Hooksets are free"
1996 Champion 202 DC Tournament
1997 225 Evinrude Vindicator
2013 Chevrolet Tahoe




Re: Are you a bank or open water angler? [Re: Dogfish_Jones] #13995151 05/12/21 08:38 PM
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 157
D
D1988 Online Content
Outdoorsman
Online Content
Outdoorsman
D
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 157
I'm a little bit of both but love to throw a A- rig. There is a certain lake I love to fish offshore. The majority of fish will move offshore for the summer and I love it. We catch some of our best fish and highest numbers there. The best day was 96 off 1 point.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2019 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3