Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
There Comes A Time #13993988 05/12/21 12:33 AM
S
SK. Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
S
When you just gotta keep catchn and catchn and catchn even with a full cooler to see how many changes you have to go through in a day to keep the fish interested in attacking a jig......
These silly fish will absolutely ignore a jig that seconds ago they would hunt down with the slightest glimpse of it.....
The ole saying of well they feed good early this morning or the bite got good at this time or shut down then is just due to the fisherman not putting the work in that it definitely takes to keep crappie interested in what they are offering.....
I know I've read several post that color don't matter and they feel it's all about profile or action to the bait but I'm seeing and still hold my belief that color is one of the most important things in catching crappie..... Well not THE most important but really high on the list, 1st is definitely fishing where there's crappie.....
What You Say?

Crappie Guide on Houston TX area lakes. Email to schedule a trip: skscrappiecatchingadventures@gmail.com or call my message line 281-301-9316

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING A PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE.....Onxy A/M 24 PFD's

Check Out SK's CRAPPIE Catching Adventures on YouTube....
https://www.youtube.com/user/fishingorhunting
Re: There Comes A Time [Re: SK.] #13994195 05/12/21 03:08 AM
F
fridays86 Offline
Angler
Angler
F
I’m all in with you on that. Too many examples not to believe it!

Re: There Comes A Time [Re: SK.] #13994213 05/12/21 03:22 AM
J
JSouther Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Sounds like a good video to make using livescope with different colors of same jig and watch reactions. What about scent?

Re: There Comes A Time [Re: SK.] #13994214 05/12/21 03:24 AM
F
Fishbonz Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
116 views and not one single response.I`ll go. Just like you SK I hear the same thing sometimes "color doesn`t matter" rolleyes It reminds me of a trip to Lake Tawakoni`s Anchor Inn Marina one day when my fishing buddy "The Sarge" & I couldn`t get a crappie bite to save our lives with minnow or Jigs. We must have used just about every color and profile in our jig box at least I know I did but to no effect. Finally Sarge put on what I thought was the ugliest color jig in his box. It was a Red & mustard colored TUBE jig and instantly they started to bite. After all the BG ,Mr Crappie,Rocky Tops, Constant Pursuits etc this one color was the ticket! Lucky for me he had more than one. We didn`t limit out but I remember we came very close & we both left the marina very happy about the trip. I guess color doesn`t matter until it does.IMHO coolio

Last edited by Fishbonz; 05/12/21 03:00 PM.

HE aka Fishbonz
Re: There Comes A Time [Re: SK.] #13994303 05/12/21 11:15 AM
H
HOGON Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
H
All it took was a little ketchup and mustard!! roflmao

I agree...color doesn't matter...until it does. thumb

ACC CRAPPIE STIX
BONEHEAD TACKLE
LEWS REELS
PEPOPS JIGS
FEARLESS JIGS
BUBBAS BAITS
MAD CRAPPIE JIGS
DANS JIGS
CRAZY ANGLER TACKLE
THERMOCLINE LURES
CONSTANT PURSUIT OUTFITTERS
MR CRAPPIE
POWER PRO SUPER SLICK BRAID
BERKLEY VANISH GOLD/TRANSITION
LIFT SAVER TROLLING MOTOR MOUNT
SHUT UP AND FISH
SLAB SYNDICATE JIGS
THUMPER ELITE OUTFITTERS
Re: There Comes A Time [Re: HOGON] #13994344 05/12/21 12:05 PM
S
SK. Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
S
Originally Posted by fridays86
I’m all in with you on that. Too many examples not to believe it!

Exactly!

Originally Posted by JSouther
Sounds like a good video to make using livescope with different colors of same jig and watch reactions. What about scent?

Coming soon......

Originally Posted by Fishbonz
116 views and not one single response.I`ll go. Just like you SK I hear the same thing sometimes "color doesn`t matter" rolleyes It reminds me of a trip to Lake Tawakoni`s Anchor Inn Marina one day when my fishing buddy "The Sarge" & I couldn`t get a crappie bite to save our lives with minnow or Jigs. We must have used just about every color and profile in our jig box at least I know I did but to no effect. Finally Sarge put on what I thought was the ugliest color jig in his box. It was a Red & mustard colored TUBE jig and instantly they started to bite. After all the BG ,Mr Crappie,Rocky Tops, Constant Pursuits etc this one color was the tickets! Lucky for me he had more than one. We didn`t limit out but I remember we came very close & we both left the marina very happy about the trip. I guess color doesn`t matter until it does.IMHO coolio

Totally correct and I've found that more times that not you "won't" find a feeding freenzy where they hit anything you put in the water.....

Originally Posted by HOGON
All it took was a little ketchup and mustard!! roflmao

I agree...color doesn't matter...until it does. thumb

No Doubt.....

Crappie Guide on Houston TX area lakes. Email to schedule a trip: skscrappiecatchingadventures@gmail.com or call my message line 281-301-9316

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING A PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE.....Onxy A/M 24 PFD's

Re: There Comes A Time [Re: SK.] #13994361 05/12/21 12:23 PM
DFW-fisherman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Yep, color, or scent, doesn't matter - until it does!

Same with line color, or leader vs no leader!

Now that I have Active Target, I do watch what happens with my jig gets to the strike zone. Yes, I use scent a lot of the time - if I can't get bit! You just never know what those finicky crappie will do!

popcorn2

Re: There Comes A Time [Re: SK.] #13994798 05/12/21 05:12 PM
M
Mo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
M
I am firm believer that nothing works 100% of the time.

Mo

MY BACKYARD , 20,000 ACRES , NO MOWING smile
Re: There Comes A Time [Re: SK.] #13994829 05/12/21 05:25 PM
K
Ken Gaby Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
K
Originally Posted by SK.
When you just gotta keep catchn and catchn and catchn even with a full cooler to see how many changes you have to go through in a day to keep the fish interested in attacking a jig......
These silly fish will absolutely ignore a jig that seconds ago they would hunt down with the slightest glimpse of it.....
The ole saying of well they feed good early this morning or the bite got good at this time or shut down then is just due to the fisherman not putting the work in that it definitely takes to keep crappie interested in what they are offering.....
I know I've read several post that color don't matter and they feel it's all about profile or action to the bait but I'm seeing and still hold my belief that color is one of the most important things in catching crappie..... Well not THE most important but really high on the list, 1st is definitely fishing where there's crappie.....
What You Say?

Couldn't agree more SK. Partner and I never fish the same color jig pre-fishing or in a tournament. Size and profile definitely contribute but so does color. It all works together.

A life without God is like an unsharpened pencil, it has no point. Billy Graham
www.thermoclinelures.com "Helping YOU catch MORE & LARGER fish!"
http://www.crazyanglertackle.com Premium crappie baits and jig tying accessories
http://www.proanglertackle.com Best crappie and catfish rods/reels
http://www.beereadys.com World's Best Rod Holders
Re: There Comes A Time [Re: SK.] #13994871 05/12/21 05:49 PM
The Crappie Guy Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Color matters................

"The Crappie Guy"

Re: There Comes A Time [Re: SK.] #13994956 05/12/21 06:34 PM
C
Coolarrow Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
I have seen in my crappie fishing that some days it matters and sometimes not so much as stated above. I think when color, scent, ect play in the most are the slow days. On the days that I catch a pile they hit about any color. But I’m not a crappie man by no means. I’m still learning the sport. Lots of fun though!

Re: There Comes A Time [Re: Mo] #13995120 05/12/21 08:17 PM
banker-always fishing Offline
Pumpkin Head
Pumpkin Head
Originally Posted by Mo
I am firm believer that nothing works 100% of the time.

Mo

Plus #1. thumb

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: There Comes A Time [Re: SK.] #13995204 05/12/21 09:24 PM
K
KidKrappie Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
I hear color matters over and over myself but still beg to differ. When I am out, I literally grab whatever jig color I grab first and put it on. My line of thinking is, I have limited time on the water. Do I want to sit on one place on fish that are inactive (you can tell really fast if they are or not) and try to beg them with scent, switching color, profiles, nibbles, no nibbles, etc or do I go find some fish that are active and want to bite? The latter is my answer. When they are really finicky (at least on the lakes I fish), there really isn't anything you can do jig color or profile wise to get them to bite as I have done it all. This is why I have minnows with me every trip come about june to sep. Fish on the lakes here respond so much better to minnows in the summer than any jig combination. I want to catch as many fish as possible in the limited amount of time I have and do not want to spend my time switching colors and baits trying to get them to bite. You can catch a few on jigs in the summer but minnows will run circles around them. JMO

Re: There Comes A Time [Re: SK.] #13995247 05/12/21 09:53 PM
ThaDudeAbides Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I am not a great crappie fisherman by any means. I have enjoyed learning how to use jigs. My typical setup now is a double jig setup to see if they start hitting one over the other (one plastic and one hair jig). I would personally rather spend my time finding active fish. I know those active fish will bite most things you put in front of them. i've seen Tommy Ezell catch one with a cigarette butt after all!

Sometimes i do just enjoy killing time though SK!

**Professional amateur crappie fisherman**

1997 Nitro Savage 896, 200 HP Mercury EFI, Garmin Force, Garmin GPSMAP 1022 w/ Livescope, Garmin Ultra 122sv, Garmin 93
Re: There Comes A Time [Re: SK.] #13995502 05/13/21 12:50 AM
S
SK. Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
S
I'm not looking to get into a p'ing contest with anyone but putting info out that works very well for me "year round" not just when it's easy.....
I've been at these fish a long time and constantly look for new or better ways of catching them, going out with the attitude of they're going to bite one certain jig just ain't gonna cut it on the high pressure lakes I fish.....
Some may feel they don't need several colors and sizes of jigs but I've seen it work very well for a lot of folks that's been catching these fish long before myself and probably most here.....
I received it and just passing it on to those that want good info on how to consistently catch good fish....
I also target the active fish but have seen fish shut down on a bait they were on really good and with a few color changes the fire was lit again..... There are other times the opposite happen where they weren't feeding until I changed colors..... Some folks do just resort to using minnas but that's just not for me.....

TheDude in my opinion if you're able to use a tandem setup without getting hung up you might try fishing structure that you'll have to use a single jig.... The ole saying if you're not getting hung up you're not crappie fishing is a saying that has held to be very true for me..... Shoot some of the stuff I fish you're lucky to get one jig back.....LOL

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide