Print Thread
New to Fishing #13980308 04/30/21 03:08 PM
J
Jenn4anne Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
J
Hi everyone, I'm a mom to a 4 year old little girl and she asked me to take her fishing. I have never in my life been fishing. My grandpa took my boy cousins fishing but never us girls. I always wanted to learn. So now that my daughter is asking, I think nows a good time to figure it out. I've done some research and its far more complicated than I initially thought. so many things to learn, (and buy), which is quite exciting and daunting.

First and foremost I just want to make sure we are safe. Neither of us can swim. We had an incident in a pond a couple years ago where she got too close and got sucked in by the mud and her head just went under before I could grab her.

I want to take her to a creek where it's shallow and we can wade. not too worried about getting any big fish to start anway.

Another concern I have is snakes. I understand from some of my reading that copperheads are prevelant around brushy creek, Which is where I wanted to take her. Neither of us really have boots and I was thinking we might be barefoot in the water anyway, or if its too cold we can fish from the bank.

Any adivce. I feel fully out of my element and very nervous...but I already got the fishing license and a bunch of gear, so I'm pretty commited.

Re: New to Fishing [Re: Jenn4anne] #13981859 05/01/21 06:24 PM
banker-always fishing Offline
Pumpkin Head
Pumpkin Head
First of all welcome to the TFF! Glad to have you on board. thumb

If you have no experience at all fishing, you would need to at least know the basics. How to use a rod/reel, casting, tying a hook on your line, weights and sinkers to use. The basics go on. I would look into using a crappie guide and explain to him you want a learning trip for you and your 4 year old daughter. He can teach you the basics and hopefully can help you and your daughter catch a few fish. 4 year old's loose interest fast. Keep it simple. By learning the basics you can go out on your own with your daughter. I would look for city parks that have ponds. You can usually catch sunfish easily in them using the basics in tackle. The parks are usually safe and are easy to get around in. There are also playgrounds there in case your daughter starts getting bored with fishing. Again keep it simple and have fun weather it's fishing or playing in a park playground. The main thing you are enjoying the outdoors. Hope this helps out some. Best of luck and make some Lifetime Memories! thumb

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: New to Fishing [Re: banker-always fishing] #13983359 05/03/21 11:33 AM
J
Jenn4anne Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
J
Thank you so much! I'm excited to get started!

Re: New to Fishing [Re: Jenn4anne] #13984434 05/04/21 12:37 AM
S
Sawyer S Offline
Angler
Angler
S
Good luck I really hope you enjoy fishing. It is a great hobby to get kids into. I am a sophomore in high school right now and have become obsessed with bass fishing. It's practically all I think about.

Do you know what species of fish you are after?

If you are just trying to get her to catch some fish, bluegill are a great place to start. They are easy to catch with minimal experience and equipment. Also good for young kids. Some small worms should do the trick. I'd recommend going to a local pond since they usually have plenty of fish and lots of room to fish. Ponds usually have bass, catfish, and bluegill. Keep an eye out for snakes, I almost stepped on one the other day, it scared me bad. Ponds hopefully won't have as many snakes as those bushy creeks, but the creeks could be fun as well.

As far as skill goes, casting is the main thing to learn. I'm assuming you bought either a spinning setup or a push button, both are very easy to learn.

I hope you all catch some! Some great memories to be had. thumb

Let us know if you all catch anything! Good luck.

Joshua 1:9
Re: New to Fishing [Re: Jenn4anne] #13989269 05/07/21 04:22 PM
I
Imahandiman Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
I
A good place to start is the big C store at 35 & 170, you can get some supplies and they have a stocked pond in the parking lot.
You need to get your supplies, basic stuff, Rod & Reel Combo, (least expensive) line is already on the reel, a hook, a float (bobber) and worms, Basic.
City parks are good also but very slim chance to catch a fish at 75% of them, they are local so they get fished by others.
There are tons of small shops to get your supplies also, once you start looking for them they will pop up, otherwise they blend in.
Small places are usually very helpful and good people.
Just ask, there are plenty of people to pass on their knowledge to help your learning curve.
Remember its called fishing, not catching! Have fun spending time outdoors.
It is awesome she asked you to take her fishing.
Good Luck

Re: New to Fishing [Re: Jenn4anne] #14278544 02/08/22 07:54 PM
S
Slide_R Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
For kids its all about the catching, or exploring, or getting ice cream... The size of the fish do not really matter, they just want to catch something. Get a decent small size zebco rig, the barbi poll is fun to look at but more trouble than it is worth. For supplies start with #8 or #10 long shank hooks. If you are smart you will take a pair of pliers and crimp the hook barb to make them easier to remove from fish and people as can happen. The other necessaries include some small spilt shot weights, small bobbers and a jar or two of Berkley crappie nibbles. One nibble impaled on the point of the small hook, one or two pieces of split shot crimped 6 inches above the hook and your bobber attached 6 inches to 2 feet above your hook will usually get you bit plus it gives your little girl something to watch. When it starts to bob around she pulls back and starts to reel. For you, take a towel and a pair of needle nose pliers to help you hold the fish and remove the hook from fish.

Let you kid let you know when they are ready to go. Or if they get a little bored, let them explore around the park area. My granddaughter went around a local little pond and collected snail shells and fresh water muscle shells. Made a horrible mess in my ball cap that I let her choose but so what, she was having fun.

Kids are herky jerky and you always have to be aware of where that hook is at and what they are doing. It can go from so much fun to so much tragedy in the smallest blink of an eye.

Find a local city park with a good well constructed built in edge. Creeks are a lot more dangerous because of snakes, eroded banks and potential quick water depth changes if you are wading.

Zebco 33 Micro Spincast Reel and Fishing Rod Combo, 4-Foot 6-in 2-Piece Rod - https://www.walmart.com/ip/Zebco-33...-Combo-4-Foot-6-in-2-Piece-Rod/933820580

Robert Oleson
aka Slide_R

Re: New to Fishing [Re: Jenn4anne] #14325547 03/25/22 12:56 AM
I
IslandJim Online Content
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
I
1. SWIMMING LESSONS for you both. Contact YMCA or other civic outfits.
2. If you haven't done number one, you're beyond help. My wife took swimming lessons in her mid-twenties. After we met, we did thousands of miles on my boat in the Caribbean. I didn't have to worry about her not being able to swim. Her sister's two children learned to swim before they were two!
3. If you can't afford a guide to teach you to fish, watch all the YouTube videos you can. The fact that you're on this Forum is positive. Search for lady anglers who would help.

Good luck, and catch'em up! IslandJim

I'm an Eighth Day Adventist. On the Eighth Day, God went fishing!
Re: New to Fishing [Re: IslandJim] #14338907 04/09/22 10:27 AM
hopalong Online Confused
Pescador Loco
Online Confused
Pescador Loco
Originally Posted by IslandJim
1. SWIMMING LESSONS for you both. Contact YMCA or other civic outfits.
2. If you haven't done number one, you're beyond help. My wife took swimming lessons in her mid-twenties. After we met, we did thousands of miles on my boat in the Caribbean. I didn't have to worry about her not being able to swim. Her sister's two children learned to swim before they were two!
3. If you can't afford a guide to teach you to fish, watch all the YouTube videos you can. The fact that you're on this Forum is positive. Search for lady anglers who would help.

Good luck, and catch'em up! IslandJim

swim lessons for sure, get the lil one a life jacket to wear around the water till she can swim.

find a pond that you can fish, worms and bobber for some perch jerkin and go getem. perch will pretty much always bite and are easy to catch, makes it a ton more fun when they are catchin. work up to bass (you may get some on the worm tho) or catfish etc.

plenty of folks on here for advice and answering questions, maybe even someone would go with y'all a couple of times and show you the basics.

" Hop, set the hook"!
hopalong 99,999
TexDawg 99,999
FJB! not my president by a long shot!

lake fork FISHERMANS COVE MARINA/reservations - 903 474 7479
Re: New to Fishing [Re: Jenn4anne] #14342431 04/13/22 01:53 PM
2014NITROZ-7 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Don't know where you are located but if near enough to Athens the Fresh Water Fisheries would be a great place to start. They have gear you can rent and almost a sure bet to catch fish and have a good day with your little one.

Re: New to Fishing [Re: Jenn4anne] #14702526 04/27/23 05:20 AM
R
ReelOldGeezer Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
R
Lots of good advice. It can't be over emphasized (for most youngsters) catching fish is the only way to keep them interested. As already pointed out, size is unimportant.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide