Print Thread
Kayak help and advice #13985640 05/04/21 08:03 PM
C
CTW Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
We have a couple family events coming up and just purchaed two youth kayaks for the kids. My question is what to do for my wife and I. I have considered two singles or one tandem. These two events are only to get out and have fun, also learning the kayak. I would however like to fish with them eventually. I really dont want to invest a lot into this in case it ends up not being for us, however I don't want junk so I can give it a true chance.

I felt that a tandem kayak would probably give my wife, son or daughter a better oppotunity to fish with me but I may be wrong. Would a tandem kayak be usable to fish with alone? With single kayaks what size and brands should I consider. Not worried about any other accessories for now other than a paddle suggestions. The PFD's are without question but if there is a style or brand better for kayaking please let me know.

Our boat was destroyed in a hail storm a few years ago and we havent done much fishing since. Hope to replace it some day but been wanting to give this a shot for a long time now. We usually fished for sandies so we were in open water. Is that even possible with a beginner?

Any information to get me going in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by CTW; 05/04/21 08:23 PM.
Re: Kayak help and advice [Re: CTW] #13986507 05/05/21 01:49 PM
JJ4MEL Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
If you are not 100% sure that kayaking is the way you want to go, then I would suggest getting 2 single sit on top kayaks as the resale is much easier than a tandem. Yes, you can fish solo in a tandem, but the resale is not as good. Depending on your price range and body specifications (weight & height) a used kayak may be the best way to go. Craigslist and FB marketplace have been good resources for reasonably priced kayaks. Other good options:

Kayak Instruction Kayaks located in Rowlett. They have some VERY reasonably priced fishing kayaks new & used. http://kayakinstruct.com/

Another option that I hear great reviews about for new kayakers is the Lifetime Tamarack kayak. Good fishing platform for the beginner, cheap and stable. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lifetime...ing-Kayak-Paddle-Included-90818/55604992

Re: Kayak help and advice [Re: CTW] #13986554 05/05/21 02:27 PM
C
CCTX Offline
mapquest
mapquest
C
If the total weight of you and your wife is under 300#s, I'd consider a tandem. If not, I'd get two separate kayaks.

I still have my first kayak, the Lifetime Manta, which was the predecessor to the Lifetime Tamarack. Good beginners kayak, terrible at tracking.

That sounds like a lot of kayaks to transport.

I'd also take a look at some inflatable kayaks for ease of transporting multiple kayaks
Good bargain options: Intex Excursion Pro and Intex Challenger

Higher quality inflatables:
Sea Eagle 385ft

[Linked Image]
Re: Kayak help and advice [Re: CTW] #13986598 05/05/21 03:05 PM
F
fishr3 Offline
Angler
Angler
F
A canoe serves as a great "mother ship" for river float trips. It has a much higher cargo capacity than most kayaks and allows for bringing lots of amenities and accessories. A wide and stable recreational canoe is a great way to bring along guests with you. I used an old town Guide 147 with a middle seat to take my kids out fishing or paddling. I have had my whole family of 4 along with the dog and 4 backpacks in a canoe. A canoe can also be paddled solo. One main disadvantage of a canoe over a kayak is that the canoe has more freeboard and will be more difficult to paddle in windy areas. I tried a tandem sit on top kayak with the wife and it was an unpleasant experience when compared to the canoe. Good used recreational canoes often sell for around $300.

Re: Kayak help and advice [Re: CTW] #13987956 05/06/21 02:31 PM
C
CTW Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
Thank you for all the advise. Looks like I will stay away from the tandem kayaks. I had considered a canoe an have used them in the past, however I really wanted to try out kayaking. I am about 250 pounds. Approximately how much weight on average is added with basic fishing equipment? Some of the kayaks I have looked at only have a max weight of around 275 pound which would not leave much room for additions.

I did find a Pelican Premium Catch 120 kayak at acadeny. It is a little more that I wanted to spend however shows to have a max weight of 400 pounds. Any sugestions on this one or others similar?

Re: Kayak help and advice [Re: CTW] #13987996 05/06/21 03:07 PM
JJ4MEL Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
For the price of a new yak, you can often buy 2 decent used kayaks. Keep an eye on Craigslist, FB marketplace too. They have some great deals often. Also, as I mentioned before, call Dave at Kayak Instruction and explain what you are looking for and price range. I bet he can put you in a good kayak within your budget.

Re: Kayak help and advice [Re: CTW] #13987998 05/06/21 03:09 PM
J
Jerry713 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted by CTW
Thank you for all the advise. Looks like I will stay away from the tandem kayaks. I had considered a canoe an have used them in the past, however I really wanted to try out kayaking. I am about 250 pounds. Approximately how much weight on average is added with basic fishing equipment? Some of the kayaks I have looked at only have a max weight of around 275 pound which would not leave much room for additions.

I did find a Pelican Premium Catch 120 kayak at acadeny. It is a little more that I wanted to spend however shows to have a max weight of 400 pounds. Any sugestions on this one or others similar?

+1 for KI kayaks. One of the few places you can still demo kayaks.

Keep this in mind. Weight capacity is huge with kayaks and being close to the weight capacity of a kayak makes the kayak operate completely different (not in a good way). You want to be no more than 70% of the kayaks weight capacity including yourself and all gear. So in order to have a kayak that will track and paddle like it should you'll need to be looking at a kayak that has at minimum 400 lbs weight capacity and preferably 450.

You get out of it what you put into it!
Re: Kayak help and advice [Re: JJ4MEL] #13989511 05/07/21 08:44 PM
C
CTW Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
Met up with Dave today after speaking to him on the phone a couple times. He definitely gave me some options that were within our budget and what I felt I was looking for. I will be taking my wife out there asap and we will getting set up with everything we need for him. Thank you for the referral.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide