Page 3 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 19 20
Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #13974101 04/26/21 01:42 PM
P
prosise Online Content OP
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Forgot something. I did catch three small crappie up in this creek, just under 10. doodle socked a single jig by a tree on the south bank, see picture below. To get into this area, you have to cross some very shallow water in the back of the main cove. It is probably too shallow to get a big boat up into. The pair of fishermen I helped repair the trolling motor were in an aluminum boat, and were able to get up there. I went all the way back into the creek until I ran into a tree over the water, it really looks fishy but I only caught the crappie at the mouth. There is a walking trail by the water towards the middle, so there is access without a boat. First time up there, and it is really nice area. I am not a crappie fisherman, and one day I will focus on them. I basically bump into them occasionally.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Side note on sandbass. Been tinkering with alternate baits and lures with rattles are picking up the bigger fish, bumping the bottom is also a big key. The spoon (vertically jigging) caught small fish and I do not think I caught a fish over 10" yesterday on the small jigging spoon. The 3XD was diving too deep, so I had to reel very slow. I forgot my bodycam so I didn't get much video. I tried to use my cell phone, and was not very good at getting some video.
I only saw one person with his head screwed on yesterday, "Thank you" to the Nitro boat going into Twin Coves. He was the only courteous boat I saw yesterday. I have about a dozen wake boats come within 30 yards from me when i was fishing, and I just shook my head. I was almost able to hit three with the crankbait. Most valuable tool used yesterday was the Large sponge for water in the canoe.

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #13974245 04/26/21 03:31 PM
J
JWC Nauticstar Offline
Angler
Angler
J
Great report! Yeah, the wake board boats pretty much are lawless. I wish the game warden would show up every now and then.

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #13974880 04/26/21 11:01 PM
K
KidKrappie Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
K
Those boats are like that every weekend on Gvine. Big reason I fish early or on the weekdays.

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #13976741 04/28/21 03:54 AM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Launched at Meadomere @ lunchtime. Wind pretty bad, couldn't fish my big bass spot so I fished main lake points for some bass. About 5'ish took a break and went looking for some sandbass. Went straight to the point that I have been catching fish at, no bait seen and only caught one about 4 inches long. Other item I caught was a ball of fishing line, I worked and retrieved my crankbait. Wind was pretty nasty, looked around Twin Coves main points but not much there. Did not see any birds working, and the wind was too bad to check Murrell point. Caught 3 sandbass fishing for bass with the 3XD, but I was forced to fish protected points. Bonus: Was lucky enough to catch a big flathead with a crankbait, 26.9 pounds on 12lb flouro and was very exciting. Did not see any birds, and I do not have any info concerning the sandbass. Going out tomorrow, hopefully will get some info. Will need to look for birds working, since there was no bait in the area I have been catching fish it makes sense. Tough day and the wind blew like crazy. Take care all.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #13977390 04/28/21 04:56 PM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Just got here, sandbasss working east point at meadomere. Will uodate as I go. 12pm noon.
[Linked Image]

1235pm murrell park main point close to shore. Birds working large school. Fish not out on the end of the point
[Linked Image]

Just locate birds that are dive bombing, that is shad being pushed up by the sandbass. All the fish I caught on the bottom with a jigging spoon were small, the bigger fish came on a lipless crankbait, or a crankbait up off the bottom. I scouted early and then focused on rock piles for bass, and it was a good day.
Wicked weather today.. Sandbass are on the move, follow the bait and you are on fish. Had a couple of really nice bass today. Caught a 20lb drum, big gaspergoo, and many sandbass on the 3xd. The Gaspergoo felt like a mega smallmouth.. I wore a crankbait out, started running in circles, that is a good day.. I bass fished and caught sandbass pretty much 1 every 30 minutes working rock piles.
Got home and had mega hail from the storm.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by prosise; 04/29/21 02:13 AM.
Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #13977432 04/28/21 05:27 PM
D
Davedave Offline
Bigfoot Seeker
Bigfoot Seeker
D
Originally Posted by prosise
Launched canoe at the Trophy Club ramp, creek was stained so i headed down. Fished for bass until about 2pm, from Meadomere i scooted over to the Grapevine lake point area, then eased back to a windy point towards the back of the creek. Wind was blowing into the point and real nice fish were stacked up in the shallow water. Fished this until about 630, then moved out to the rock pile that I referenced last week. Big fish on the crankbait, bumping the top of the hump. Non-stop fun over in this area. Crankbait caught good fish, but wind was tough in the canoe. Waiting for the truck at meadomere as i type. Moon is awesome.. Prob caught 70 over 12 fish in that little spot in the back.

Going with big boat tomorrow.. Did well with my anchor, and wake boats out in full force today. Yep, i was the crazy guy crossing the lake in a canoe. Bass fishing is on fire for big fish.. Forgot Bodycam, and really screwed up leaving it at home. Caught the same fish twice and got off. Saw her head shake both times. All I am going to say is She was beautiful and big. But it's all a fishing story at this time Maybe tomorrow..

Met a couple people, was nice to meet you Mr Cobb, and I got a kid and his dad fishing with their trolling motor. He lost voltage, just had to backtrack the wires..

Fished here
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Nice to meet you as well sir.

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #13981624 05/01/21 01:45 PM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Fishing Buddy fished yesterday, and the lake is up over 2ft. Stained to say the least.. No report, will go out and look around tomorrow, maybe we will try for a big blue up near the mouth of the creek.

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #13983244 05/03/21 03:15 AM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Lakes up just under 3 feet, surprisingly the mid lake water is really clear. Fished mid lake for the morning for bass, and then met up with a Tff'r and gave him the low down on some electronic overview. Went all the way up to the upper end just looking around and really nothing going on. Did not see any birds working until about 3pm around Meadomere. You have to hang around the area where you see birds The fish are pushing the shad up, and the birds are working the shad at the surface. The school I worked at Meadomere was not that big, and moved fast. The larger fish were picked up in the action, and the smaller fish were on the bottom. Ran into a guy who was having to drift, we will call him "Randy Travis". Helped him get his limit, and tied his boat to the back of mine so he could stay on the fish... Tough day for bass, you really have to work and with the water up almost 3 feet. There is miles of cover in the water for them..

Take care all and God Bless..

Prosise

Last edited by prosise; 05/03/21 12:47 PM.
Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #13983551 05/03/21 02:20 PM
Dustin M Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I was out with my son on 5/1 and only caught 3 small sand bass from 8am to 1pm. Was nice day other than that. I'm think we might try to get on the water about 5 today, any tips on where they might be for the evening? We have been staying around murrell, meadowmere and dove but haven't had much luck.

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #13983620 05/03/21 02:52 PM
rkd Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
We made a couple of drifts yesterday (Sunday) off the Murrell point. This was about 2pm and there were several boats fishing out on the deeper drop off of the point. The gulls/terns were scouting but not diving. Didn't see anyone catch a fish and within about an hour, all of the boats had dispersed. We ended up catching 2-3 VERY small sandbass reeling a slab up through the water column. Water was a nice green color at midlake. We did make a drift over the shallower part of Murrell point but no fish there either. (or at least they weren't biting)

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: Dustin M] #13983706 05/03/21 04:02 PM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Originally Posted by Dustin M
I was out with my son on 5/1 and only caught 3 small sand bass from 8am to 1pm. Was nice day other than that. I'm think we might try to get on the water about 5 today, any tips on where they might be for the evening? We have been staying around murrell, meadowmere and dove but haven't had much luck.

I will be out until dark today, with the water up the gizzard shad are up in the buck brush. Before the rain there wasn't much cover for the bait to hide in. Now they have so much cover to try and hide in. Still tons of bait out in the lake, but it has changed a little. I first look for an area where there are birds working, or sitting. Cranes in the windy bank, are waiting for the easy snatch.. These keys are something to look for and start here. I did better casting a spoon and working it back in the 0-10ft range for the better fish, smaller were on the bottom. If you see my brown/tan boat cone by. Ease up and wave like you know me and i will give you a thumbs up or down. Will be bass fishing until about 3, then transitioning into sandbass. Will prob be around meadomere, was suprised to see the fish on the protected side yesterday. Wilnd will be blowing more, so will be looking around. I am waering a green long sleeve shirt..

We will try and get you guys on fish.. I did catch some better fish on a crankbait, but it is harder to throw very far.

Leaving for ramp now..

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #13983735 05/03/21 04:28 PM
Dustin M Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Thanks for the offer. If we get out we will find you at some point.

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #13984191 05/03/21 09:20 PM
Dustin M Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Not going to make it out today due to potential storms. Will try again tomorrow.

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #13984426 05/04/21 12:34 AM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Got my butt kicked today... Which was great... Ran into a friend i work with coming out of Academy @ 10am, told him to let me know if he wanted to go out. Launched at 11:00 and he met me shortly after, went right out of Meadomere and cruised down the south bank. We went past the island, then headed to Rock ledge and rounded to Murrell Point. Birds were working out off the drop, and we stayed close to them until we had a limit of good fish. Went and dropped the fish off with his wife, and headed back out and picked up 17 more. Good fish kept, in the 11-13.75" range. Storms started to brew so we left about 6:30. Great day out with a good man, who caught some good fish. I told him it was a real treat and I have no problems when my fishing partner does all the heavy work.. Had one bump in the road, a older man in a white boat with a blue top kept driving thru the school of fish trying to troll. I really have a hard time being disrespectful, but I can only go so far. I even offered him the option to tie up to my boat, but he mumbled something and kept driving around.. I did finally get his attention, and he eventually moved on. Please, if you are working birds or fish on the surface you should not be driving thru them in your boat. It was a pleasure boat with no trolling motor. We caught fish non-stop while the village Idiot was doing this.. The better fish were close to the point, and I mean close. I was casting 20ft from the edge of the water with my bait.. Out in deeper water we were casting the med size spoon, and allowing it to fall down to the 10-15 ft range to pick up fish.. Thanks Mike, was a real fun time.. Today, you don't need any electronics. A anchor would be helpful if you did not want to work the trolling motor. The med size cordell spoon (with smaller hooks) was the best today. Setup Mike with the spoon, and one of my frontrunner rigs. Worked well, and he did great picking up some good fish.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #13986163 05/05/21 02:36 AM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Launched at noon and went on the hunt for the Green fish.. Fishing is real good for Bass, and it was a very fun day.. I went up the lake and birds were working out near Meadomere and I was able to pick up some numbers, eased up closer to the point where the birds were not working and picked up some really nice fish. If you are in an area that is within 75 yards of a point, or land ease up and see if you can pick up any fish closer to the bank. Been catching the bigger fish near the bank lately. Then went scouting for a friend and ran into sandbass at Dove boat ramp. Non-stop fun and they were good fish as well.. If you are going to go out, look around for birds working. If you do not see any working an area just look around, they will show you the area that is active. Ran solo today, and got some really good fish in the boat today.. Lost a couple of my new favorite lures, which I will have to pick up this week.. Take care all.. Adding some footage from Dove, you can see the boat parking in the background.

Last edited by prosise; 05/05/21 10:30 AM.
Page 3 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 19 20
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide