Forums59
Topics1,038,963
Posts13,956,516
Members144,184
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Who has been able to transition out of Big City for Retirement? [Re: tx_basser] #13983686 05/03/21 03:45 PM
TexDawg Online Content
Top Dawg
Online Content
Top Dawg
I just got a call from a very good friend of mine, also a co-worker, that lives in Denver. He has announced his retirement at 57 years old. He isn’t going to work elsewhere, he said he is done. He and his wife are moving to Tucson to a big golf community. They have no kids and are probably financially sound. I’m jealous

Re: Who has been able to transition out of Big City for Retirement? [Re: tx_basser] #13983689 05/03/21 03:47 PM
Billy Blazer 300 HPDI Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
I didn't grow up in a big city, but ended up in Houston area with work. I have no intention of staying even though I live in a nice area, Friendswood side of League City is a really nice safe area. But its getting off the chart busy along with I45 road contruction will drive a person crazy. Even with my good pention I have no intention of paying 1500 a month and going up Galveston County Tax and Insurance. My wife would stay were we are the rest of her life, she grew up not far from where we live, but she knows its not the right thing to do.

I have not watched local news in years. Harris Co/Houston is Lib central and expanding. All the libs in Austin, DFW, Houston will make Texas blue as it can be in a few years. Yeah a few political seats may swing Rep. short term, but long term will be more blue voters than red. Taxes will get higher and people will be leaving just like CA.

I'm taking off next week, plan to load wife and 32 pound Hank the Wennie dog up and go look. Not sure I can do it again, I've lived in Oklahoms before, but my wife wants to go look at small towns around Tulsa. She has a point in the Okie state income tax is a drop in the bucket compared to Texas Property Taxes. Oklahoma Tax is nothing compared to Texas. She has friends she went to school with in League City that now live in Oklahoma and they will never move back to Texas, they love it. My wife is off the chart conservative Red voter and she like what those Okies do. I kid her about moving to Oklahoma and end up with a bible in one hand, gun in the other while taking a hit off Medical Marijuana.

There are some places in East Texas like Jasper Co. where our place in Rayburn Country is that have very low Tax, but drive into Jasper to shop at Walmart and you can't get out of the place fast enough. As much as I like fishing and hunting in East Texas, living their full time would be tough.

Someone mentioned Bonham/Fannin Co., which I thought about looking. I looked up the taxes and they are over two percent in Fannin Co.. Looks to be about the same as Galveston Co where I am, maybe higher.

Where ever we look, I keep telling myself to have an open mind. I told my boss I'd work until June of 2022, thats when I hit full retirement age, 66 and 4 mo . That time will come quick. We have two houses to sell and lots of stuff to move where ever we go.

I've spoiled my wife building her a house wtih 12 foot Ceilings and 8 ft. doors. I told her I'd do it again, but I can't do it where we have to pay 1500 or more a month in Tax and Insurance.

Thanks, Billy
Re: Who has been able to transition out of Big City for Retirement? [Re: tx_basser] #13983691 05/03/21 03:47 PM
F
Fishin' Nut Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
F
Feb 3rd, 2024 is my retirement date. The Boss has started dropping hints about moving back closer to the grand kids. I told her the closest we will get is the Oklahoma side of the Red River. I'm not going to pay the Texas Wealth Tax on property. If it is up to me, I will retire here in Alabama. House will be paid for and property taxes locked in at around $750 a year.

Originally Posted by OTFF
He is truly a sick individual.
Re: Who has been able to transition out of Big City for Retirement? [Re: tx_basser] #13983694 05/03/21 03:49 PM
B
bronco71 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
I am in between at this time....retired 5 years ago, still have the house in Dallas but have a good chunk of land in NE TX. I bounce back and forth depending on the weather plus I help dad when needed in Dallas. The biggest things I have to get used to when staying for a while on my property is lack of good internet service other than on my phone/hotspot and planning trips to town (20-30 minutes away) so that I get everything that I need to last several days without return trips. Those trips usually eat up half a day! I am way to used to popping down the street whenever I need something or getting parts locally vs waiting for them to ship to me.

1987 Nitro MX185/Mercury Black Max 150
1999 Triton TX21/225 Mercury Optimax
Re: Who has been able to transition out of Big City for Retirement? [Re: tx_basser] #13983711 05/03/21 04:04 PM
H
HasBen Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
H
We left Dallas after 35+ years and landed in Nacogdoches and can honestly say we are happier now than ever. Some of it is was leaving the job behind, but mostly the stress of living in Dallas had more effect on us than we really ever thought. Since retiring here, my son sold his house on White Rock Lake and built a house in Tyler and my stepson left Dallas and moved his family here. There are some things we miss in the city, but not enough to regret leaving it behind. I would suggest spending a lot of time at you retirement destination before you move. Good medical, good internet and television, and good water and utilities are things you need to learn before you move. I have friends that moved from California and, at their house, they have spotty internet, septic instead of sewer, and rural electric service that goes out when the humidity gets too high. They almost have to climb on the roof to get cell phone service. So, do your due diligence and then get out of Dodge as soon as you find your landing spot. Good luck.

"Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eyewitness."-Mark Twain
Re: Who has been able to transition out of Big City for Retirement? [Re: tx_basser] #13983717 05/03/21 04:08 PM
Tiltman Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Winnsboro seems like a nice place

Re: Who has been able to transition out of Big City for Retirement? [Re: tx_basser] #13983719 05/03/21 04:09 PM
Pilothawk Online Sad
Pumpkin Head
Online Sad
Pumpkin Head
I left the metro mess for lake living on carp filled Kentucky Lake. Nearest town is Murray, KY (pop 17K). I live 12 miles outside town.

I love it. The peace and quiet are so calming.

Traffic here means being caught behind a tobacco wagon on its way to the barn.

I do miss the convenience of shopping, and having good restaurants around. An hour away is Paducah or Clarksville, TN.

KANSAS JAYHAWK BASKETBALL - Where tradition comes from [Linked Image]
2008 NATIONAL BASKETBALL CHAMPIONS-ORANGE BOWL CHAMPIONS 2008
52 Conf Champs /5 Nat'l Champs
Re: Who has been able to transition out of Big City for Retirement? [Re: tx_basser] #13983791 05/03/21 05:09 PM
gregd Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Just had this conversation with the wife. She wants to be within an hour of DFW airport, so I have to live with that for at least 10 more years until she retires - or maybe she will see how much fun I'm having and pull the plug early. I hope to retire within a couple years.

Would like something outside of town and near a lake, but within hour-ish of DFW. Probably won't be much of a change for us other than less traffic than we have here in Plano and hopefully more neighborly neighbors.

good luck tx_basser!

Re: Who has been able to transition out of Big City for Retirement? [Re: tx_basser] #13983860 05/03/21 05:50 PM
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
When we move, I don't even want neighbors!!!

Thanks, Billy
Re: Who has been able to transition out of Big City for Retirement? [Re: tx_basser] #13983867 05/03/21 05:58 PM
T
Techfisher Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
T
I'll probably end up in Florida, by the St. Johns, living in a trailer, drinking, having a bong, and when I can afford it go fishing. And then watch the months and years go by until my mind is gone and then just fading off into the sunset. Just another old person in a sea of old people in Florida.

Re: Who has been able to transition out of Big City for Retirement? [Re: Techfisher] #13983904 05/03/21 06:26 PM
P
presley Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
Originally Posted by Techfisher
I'll probably end up in Florida, by the St. Johns, living in a trailer, drinking, having a bong, and when I can afford it go fishing.

Sounds like the way I grew up. LMAO

Re: Who has been able to transition out of Big City for Retirement? [Re: Techfisher] #13983948 05/03/21 06:58 PM
1956Zebco Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Originally Posted by Techfisher
I'll probably end up in Florida, by the St. Johns, living in a trailer, drinking, having a bong, and when I can afford it go fishing. And then watch the months and years go by until my mind is gone and then just fading off into the sunset. Just another old person in a sea of old people in Florida.

Astor is your place.

Big Bass Deep Diving Spinner: https://youtu.be/nSH_KKAiuB4
Zebco 33 O-Ring Replacement (all years): https://youtu.be/NEU56UGzxXo
Big Bass Toothpick Trick: https://youtu.be/QC0emZqU36M
Crappie Tip: https://youtu.be/27AuG3CEpOs
Zebco 33 Restore & Lube: https://youtu.be/_4BTSEVcbQ4
More: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPSsiJFU2JVh-dfIn1jfZDg/
Re: Who has been able to transition out of Big City for Retirement? [Re: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI] #13984055 05/03/21 08:02 PM
R
RayBob Offline
Super Freak
Super Freak
R
Originally Posted by Billy Blazer 300 HPDI
I didn't grow up in a big city, but ended up in Houston area with work. I have no intention of staying even though I live in a nice area, Friendswood side of League City is a really nice safe area. But its getting off the chart busy along with I45 road contruction will drive a person crazy. Even with my good pention I have no intention of paying 1500 a month and going up Galveston County Tax and Insurance. My wife would stay were we are the rest of her life, she grew up not far from where we live, but she knows its not the right thing to do.

I have not watched local news in years. Harris Co/Houston is Lib central and expanding. All the libs in Austin, DFW, Houston will make Texas blue as it can be in a few years. Yeah a few political seats may swing Rep. short term, but long term will be more blue voters than red. Taxes will get higher and people will be leaving just like CA.

I'm taking off next week, plan to load wife and 32 pound Hank the Wennie dog up and go look. Not sure I can do it again, I've lived in Oklahoms before, but my wife wants to go look at small towns around Tulsa. She has a point in the Okie state income tax is a drop in the bucket compared to Texas Property Taxes. Oklahoma Tax is nothing compared to Texas. She has friends she went to school with in League City that now live in Oklahoma and they will never move back to Texas, they love it. My wife is off the chart conservative Red voter and she like what those Okies do. I kid her about moving to Oklahoma and end up with a bible in one hand, gun in the other while taking a hit off Medical Marijuana.

There are some places in East Texas like Jasper Co. where our place in Rayburn Country is that have very low Tax, but drive into Jasper to shop at Walmart and you can't get out of the place fast enough. As much as I like fishing and hunting in East Texas, living their full time would be tough.

Someone mentioned Bonham/Fannin Co., which I thought about looking. I looked up the taxes and they are over two percent in Fannin Co.. Looks to be about the same as Galveston Co where I am, maybe higher.

Where ever we look, I keep telling myself to have an open mind. I told my boss I'd work until June of 2022, thats when I hit full retirement age, 66 and 4 mo . That time will come quick. We have two houses to sell and lots of stuff to move where ever we go.

I've spoiled my wife building her a house wtih 12 foot Ceilings and 8 ft. doors. I told her I'd do it again, but I can't do it where we have to pay 1500 or more a month in Tax and Insurance.

Billy, do you realize going about 5 miles west into Angelina Co. cuts your taxes significantly from Jasper county?

Taxes are very dependent on county and school district. Mine are extremely reasonable. The county and school district just south of me is over 30% higher.

Advice? Wise men don't need it. Fools won't heed it.

Re: Who has been able to transition out of Big City for Retirement? [Re: tx_basser] #13984139 05/03/21 08:41 PM
Beak47 Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
I have but I actually had owned the 80 acres we live on for 16 years before leaving the Metroplex permanently and wife followed suit a year behind me after teacher retirement. I had built the house 10 years earlier as a weekend place but we have made a lot of changes to make it “home” . We are 30 miles from a grocery store.

Hardcore Texan
Re: Who has been able to transition out of Big City for Retirement? [Re: tx_basser] #13984188 05/03/21 09:16 PM
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
RayBob,

You mentioned Angelina Co.

I think Lufkin is in that county, but if I recall realistate lady told me you had to get quite a few miles from town to get in the lower Tax rate where there were not large schools. I've never looked east of Lufkin back towards Lake/Sam Rayburn. Might be something to look at. Not to far from Lufkin, but close to the lake. Maybe worth a look.

Thanks, Billy
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide