Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,037,853
Posts13,935,636
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Is there a gravitational "tide" movement on texas reservoirs? #13978884 04/29/21 04:26 PM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
a couple nights ago, during the full moon cycle, saw some folks bank fishing in a cove where the wind was blowing into it, at 12 to 15 mph SSE. the corks they were using , were going in the opposite direction of the wind, very slowly. they were fishing jigs, so it was not a minnow swimming the cork. my son asked why this was happening and I told him they must be letting water out at the spillway. he checked the corps website and they were only releasing 25 CFS..
Anyone else notice this happen on the lakes they fish?
If these deep reservoirs are subject to water movement during full moon cycles, it adds a whole new perspective in fish feeding and movements. most folks know that when alot of water is being released, the fishing gets tough.,
Im going to speak with someone at the reservoir control office, and find out how the flow coming out of the lake is measured.
with the gates closed it may let out a trickle amount at normal pool. but if there is a gravitational pull, it could be more,.
in other words the flow rate may be a calculated assumption.

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: Is there a gravitational "tide" movement on texas reservoirs? [Re: leanin post] #13978899 04/29/21 04:33 PM
banker-always fishing Offline
Pumpkin Head
Pumpkin Head
I have seen this a lot. I think it is a light undertow current. How it happens I simply do not know. May be the barometric pressure or the structure of the water body. Just my guess. noidea

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Is there a gravitational "tide" movement on texas reservoirs? [Re: leanin post] #13980787 04/30/21 08:23 PM
K
Ken Gaby Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
K
Wind pushes water. As the water pushes into a cove or against a bank, the excess water has to go back against the waves. Always happens anytime wind is blowing. More wind, more current. Lakes always have some type current from the wind.

A life without God is like an unsharpened pencil, it has no point. Billy Graham
www.thermoclinelures.com "Helping YOU catch MORE & LARGER fish!"
http://www.crazyanglertackle.com Premium crappie baits and jig tying accessories
http://www.proanglertackle.com Best crappie and catfish rods/reels
http://www.beereadys.com World's Best Rod Holders
Re: Is there a gravitational "tide" movement on texas reservoirs? [Re: Ken Gaby] #13980801 04/30/21 08:32 PM
T
Texan Til I Die Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
T
Originally Posted by Ken Gaby
Wind pushes water. As the water pushes into a cove or against a bank, the excess water has to go back against the waves. Always happens anytime wind is blowing. More wind, more current. Lakes always have some type current from the wind.

That's actually called "stacking" and is a real problem on some lakes when trying to determine lake levels.

"If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Re: Is there a gravitational "tide" movement on texas reservoirs? [Re: Ken Gaby] #13980938 04/30/21 10:08 PM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L

that is a good observation.
next full moon I will go try again, hopefully the wind is slack, so I can verify this. thanks
Ive seen on waco, where the wind blows toward the dam, there is a slight back current that rolls back where the old dam goes across the lake. same principle .
Ive also considered the vaccum effect where if strong waves are going out in the main lake, it can pull water from a shallower cove in a creek arm.
kind of like how a pressure washer works, the pick up tube for the soap gets a suction from a connection to the main water pressure flowing out of the nozzle.

Last edited by leanin post; 04/30/21 10:10 PM.

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: Is there a gravitational "tide" movement on texas reservoirs? [Re: Ken Gaby] #13980940 04/30/21 10:08 PM
banker-always fishing Offline
Pumpkin Head
Pumpkin Head

Learn something new everyday. Yet another thing I love about the TFF! thumb

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Is there a gravitational "tide" movement on texas reservoirs? [Re: leanin post] #13981002 04/30/21 10:52 PM
K
KidKrappie Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
K
I think there is. Especially if the lake is bigger. Some of these lakes have to be subject to some gravitational pull. A couple times I have seen creeks flow backwards and I feel like this is why

Re: Is there a gravitational "tide" movement on texas reservoirs? [Re: leanin post] #13981337 05/01/21 02:19 AM
K
Ken Gaby Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
K
Wind pushing water has an exaggerated effect with hurricanes. Hurricane Ike had a 17 ft surge over Bolivar peninsula. Strong northers blowing on the coast can push water out of the bays 2 ft lower than normal.
I've been fishing on a dock with wind blowing from the north into a big cove at 20 mph, from my left to right. Drop a 1/8 jig 12 ft deep and the jig is 1 ft left of my rod tip. Water rolling back out of the cove with current underneath.

A life without God is like an unsharpened pencil, it has no point. Billy Graham
www.thermoclinelures.com "Helping YOU catch MORE & LARGER fish!"
http://www.crazyanglertackle.com Premium crappie baits and jig tying accessories
http://www.proanglertackle.com Best crappie and catfish rods/reels
http://www.beereadys.com World's Best Rod Holders
Re: Is there a gravitational "tide" movement on texas reservoirs? [Re: KidKrappie] #13981429 05/01/21 03:25 AM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted by fishin'aholic2
I think there is. Especially if the lake is bigger. Some of these lakes have to be subject to some gravitational pull. A couple times I have seen creeks flow backwards and I feel like this is why

the great lakes are inland lakes, and they have a tidal pull, but from what I understand, it is not so much, maybe inches, not feet. dont know if they have alot of river or creek systems .
also with lakes that have aquifers under them, I think they may have effects.
The Edwards aquifer is huge, not sure how many lakes it is over.

Last edited by leanin post; 05/01/21 04:02 AM.

Re: Is there a gravitational "tide" movement on texas reservoirs? [Re: leanin post] #13981962 05/01/21 08:44 PM
B
Bud B Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Yes, there are more currents in lakes than most people would think. And it's even more pronounced at bottleneck points, like bridges. And it can happen from wind, as well as new water coming into the lake. I live two miles from the 334 bridge on Cedar Creek, so I really like to fish it. But, it's affected by currents more than most bridges around here, and that can really have an effect on the fishing. Crappie don't like much current, plus it's much harder to keep a tiny jig where you want it, and doing what you want it to, in a current.

Bud Baker
Gun Barrel City, Tx

[Linked Image]
Re: Is there a gravitational "tide" movement on texas reservoirs? [Re: Bud B] #13981993 05/01/21 09:17 PM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted by Bud B
Yes, there are more currents in lakes than most people would think. And it's even more pronounced at bottleneck points, like bridges. And it can happen from wind, as well as new water coming into the lake. I live two miles from the 334 bridge on Cedar Creek, so I really like to fish it. But, it's affected by currents more than most bridges around here, and that can really have an effect on the fishing. Crappie don't like much current, plus it's much harder to keep a tiny jig where you want it, and doing what you want it to, in a current.

where I experienced this current was right near a bridge

Re: Is there a gravitational "tide" movement on texas reservoirs? [Re: leanin post] #13982487 05/02/21 12:31 PM
C
Coolarrow Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
The wind as stated, pushes the water around a lot! I see it on Sam Rayburn all the time. North wind will show a rise in lake level at the dam and south the opposite. When you pile water up in one end it has to level back out. You can really see the current it makes when it blows one way one day and turns the opposite the next. I’ve seen eddy currents in the standing timber. When you add dams and letting out water to that, it can be a lot in some places. As far as a tide effect, I’m no expert but I don’t think it would effect smaller water bodies to much. My .02

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide