Forums59
Topics1,038,963
Posts13,956,516
Members144,184
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Shortage of tanker truck drivers, who knew? [Re: Tsunami_1] #13979398 04/29/21 10:38 PM
T
TCK73 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Tsunami_1
Originally Posted by Laker One
New times. A lot of people flat out do not want to work. juggle

I don't know if it's they don't want to work, I'm not sure they know how to work. Face the facts young'uns, when us old timers leave so will our great work ethics, our know how, and our common sense. It all goes with us. You best find an old timer to befriend, maybe taking fishing and cook for um so they stick with ya. Without us you're in big trouble. wink

I employee some older folks in their 60’s, and they are just like younger people when it comes to work ethics, common sense and knowledge. Some have it, some don’t.

Re: Shortage of tanker truck drivers, who knew? [Re: hopalong] #13979412 04/29/21 10:50 PM
B
basscaster46 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted by hopalong
[quote=K.D.]The truck driver shortage is across the board, not just for tanker drivers. For those that don’t know, I switched careers a little over a year ago to drive a truck. I’m home now for a few days while I switch companies. I drove for the company that trained me (Millis Transfer) for a year and with this new company I fully expect to make 6 figures a year. When I google the average age of a trucker before I made the move it said 55 was the average age. I was 55 when I did it. I can’t think of many careers where people are needed to the point that there is no job interview. If you have the credentials and no safety related disqualifications you are hired as soon as you apply.

If anyone is struggling to find a career you could do a lot worse.

Oh, and in my situation I sold off every thing and live on my truck. I use Uber and rental cars when I’m home and extended stay motels if I plan to cook. I literally have no bills other than a cell phone. It’s worked out much better than I expected.

I did almost the same but bought a travel trailer and found a nice park to put it in, monthly ran me about 425 and included all but electricity.
over a couple of yrs. it paid for itself in saved motel expenses etc.
don't think I could handle a lot of the "new" rules/regs. they have, electronic logs for one. great job if ya like to travel and have some patience with traffic and if ya stay out and earn the days off 2-3 weeks vacay in first yr. is possible.
I miss driving but not some of the pinheads I had to deal with.

The reason the companies are short drivers is pay and stupid goverment regulations.
Too many headaches not enough pay. But hey mr potato head can get illegal s to do that too.
J. D

I got all day I’m retired
Re: Shortage of tanker truck drivers, who knew? [Re: n2ratfishin] #13979436 04/29/21 11:12 PM
R
Rayzor Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
R
You name it, there is a shortage. Just got a notification from Amazon that an exhaust fan that has been on order for a month is "unavailable for delivery."

Be safe,
Rayzor
[Linked Image]
2001 Triton Tx-21/225 Mercury EFI
Re: Shortage of tanker truck drivers, who knew? [Re: K.D.] #13979445 04/29/21 11:18 PM
Okie Poke Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by K.D.
The truck driver shortage is across the board, not just for tanker drivers. For those that don’t know, I switched careers a little over a year ago to drive a truck. I’m home now for a few days while I switch companies. I drove for the company that trained me (Millis Transfer) for a year and with this new company I fully expect to make 6 figures a year. When I google the average age of a trucker before I made the move it said 55 was the average age. I was 55 when I did it. I can’t think of many careers where people are needed to the point that there is no job interview. If you have the credentials and no safety related disqualifications you are hired as soon as you apply.

Oh, and in my situation I sold off every thing and live on my truck. I use Uber and rental cars when I’m home and extended stay motels if I plan to cook. I literally have no bills other than a cell phone. It’s worked out much better than I expected.

Proud for you, dude....

😎 Dallas Cowboys....eventual Superbowl Champions 😎

Re: Shortage of tanker truck drivers, who knew? [Re: n2ratfishin] #13979453 04/29/21 11:23 PM
S
Sawhorse Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
S
On the positive side, lot lizards have never been more affordable.

Re: Shortage of tanker truck drivers, who knew? [Re: n2ratfishin] #13979473 04/29/21 11:45 PM
N
n2ratfishin Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
N
Didn’t you sell Toyota’s before K.D.?

Re: Shortage of tanker truck drivers, who knew? [Re: K.D.] #13979486 04/29/21 11:54 PM
butch sanders Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by K.D.
The truck driver shortage is across the board, not just for tanker drivers. For those that don’t know, I switched careers a little over a year ago to drive a truck. I’m home now for a few days while I switch companies. I drove for the company that trained me (Millis Transfer) for a year and with this new company I fully expect to make 6 figures a year. When I google the average age of a trucker before I made the move it said 55 was the average age. I was 55 when I did it. I can’t think of many careers where people are needed to the point that there is no job interview. If you have the credentials and no safety related disqualifications you are hired as soon as you apply.

that is a great story
nice work

Re: R e: Shortage of tanker truck drivers, who knew? [Re: Rangerkev] #13979494 04/29/21 11:57 PM
butch sanders Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Rangerkev
Trucking isn't easy. Ive been doing it most of my life. Its sad the quality of driver that is out here today. Its as if when you fail in all others walks of life you can still be a truck driver. Trucking schools do not train drivers properly. Recruiters lie almost continuously to get you behind a wheel of there company. Recruiters may work for 6 or 7 different companies. They will lie because once you are in the truck they get there commission. KD is correct about making a decent living. I make 6 figures with my company and im home every week. I am also almost 63. Im leaving in 3 years if I make it that long. Are

As far as training for a tanker. It requires a test at the DMV. once you get the endorsement you can drive a tanker legally. But driving safely is a different thing. Fuel haulers are paid by the load. They receive a percentage. So the more loads you deliver the more you make. Its pretty much just like rock and sand trucks. But the underlying question is do you want to haul fuel and have to push it to make money. Fuel tankers have baffles. That keeps the fuel from sloshing. Milk tankers have no baffles. It's like a thermos. Milk tankers are a totally different animal.

If you are seriously considering driving a truck talk to an experienced driver first. There are different routes to get your CDL. But remember this. Your first 2 years are going to be the worst. You have to pay your dues. After that you can be selective in who you work for. An example is Walmart is hiring drivers starting out at around $83,000 a year. But you will need 2 if not 3 years experience. Then to make that 83000you will work damn near your full 70 hours a week.

If you are single its a great way to bank money. Do as KD is doing. Live out of your truck. Do you 34 hour restart on the road. Rent a car and go sightseeing. When you go home for a week stay with family or get an extended stay hotel room. But if you are married it will take its toll if you do not have a very strong marriage. Its not an easy life. You drive all different hours every week. Some companies do not pay layover or detention pay. Or get you home very often. If you go for an interview. Interview them to see if they are a fit for you. Then go to a truck stop and try to find one of there drivers. Don't ask him his name. Just tell him to be honest with you. If you talk to a recruiter be very cautious. Once again ask every question you can think of. Write down questions so you don't forget them. Or find an experienced driver to help you.

great info
stay safe

Re: R e: Shortage of tanker truck drivers, who knew? [Re: n2ratfishin] #13979646 04/30/21 01:39 AM
K.D. Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by n2ratfishin
Didn’t you sell Toyota’s before K.D.?

Yes, I spent many years in the car business. A divorce kind of turned everything upside down for me and trying to pay support for my daughter and maintain a 2nd household was more than I could swing.

Last edited by K.D.; 04/30/21 01:40 AM.
Re: R e: Shortage of tanker truck drivers, who knew? [Re: n2ratfishin] #13979853 04/30/21 03:43 AM
L
lowew79 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
I been practicin' for a long time I'm ready!

American truck simulator

I'm completely kidding guys I'm sure the sim is nothing like real life. I meant no disrespect truly.

BUT you'd think that "game" would be boring but man I really like it and spend an embarrassing amount of time on it. If I was doing it for real I'd at least have some money to show for it.

Politicians are like diapers, they both need to be changed often, and for the same reason - Unknown
Re: Shortage of tanker truck drivers, who knew? [Re: n2ratfishin] #13979985 04/30/21 11:59 AM
buda13 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Most regulated profession out there.. the problem isn’t E Log, it’s that the average age of the CDL driver nationwide is 55 years old. FMCSA requires a person the be 21 years old to get a CDL. By the time a person graduates high school and turns 21 they’ve typically already locked into something job or career wise. We have to figure out a way to get these folks right out of high school. You won’t find an entry level job with no degree required that pays what trucking does.
I maintain driver DQ files for about 90 CDL drivers, the regulations are insane. Now starting next year to hire anyone with less than 1 year experience we have to pay for them to go through classroom training and behind the wheel training with an independent FMCSA registered instructor. That’s right, they already have the CDL and we have to pay to put them back through basic CDL training before we can touch them. Makes no sense as we already do 3 weeks of documented training on every new hire before they go solo... that’s not good enough for the federal government anymore. They found a way to get some more money by tacking on some more regulations.

Re: Shortage of tanker truck drivers, who knew? [Re: n2ratfishin] #13979987 04/30/21 12:00 PM
buda13 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
KD, sounds like your doing it right sir... glad it’s working out!!!

FYI May 4-6 is FMCSA Iperation Road Check. every scale house will be open and all the locals will be set up in their usual places. This one is focused on lights and HOS. Lots of level 1’s being done next week!

Last edited by buda13; 04/30/21 12:04 PM.

Re: Shortage of tanker truck drivers, who knew? [Re: n2ratfishin] #13981605 05/01/21 01:17 PM
T
Tom G. Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
I've been driving a truck for a long time, and at present I run a tanker with hazmat endorsement. I do extremely well, but it does require a little sacrifice. I'm doing this to retire at 65, so I have about 7 years left. I paid my dues starting hauling containers back in the late 90s, and then went to work running tankers hauling motor oil before landing a job in the cryogenics business. Trucking is one of the most heavily regulated jobs out there, and is getting worse every year. Add in the driver shortage which brings in countless number of iliquipped and undertrained newbies to the business, and it just makes the business even more difficult to participate in. I climbed the ladder and found this job based on my work record clean MVR and experience, but I also see the newer tanker drivers and I shake my head in amazement. The industry has changed, and not for the better. I love what I do, and I take a lot of pride in the job that I do. I'm sad to say that if I was a youngster just getting started, I'd likely have second thoughts about doing this.

Last edited by Tom G.; 05/01/21 01:19 PM.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide