Re: Ray Roberts Slot Limit [Re: buda13] #13979309 04/29/21 09:31 PM
B
Bass Buster1 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted by buda13
Originally Posted by Bass Buster1
Grass is everywhere, there is even a good patch of pads i found last year, just not much hydrilla. TPWD is not going to allow hydrilla to come back and will likely kill it anywhere it shows up. "X" number of tournament permits per lake per year based on biologist recommendations and overall fishery health is what I would like to see. A slot would be another way to slow pressure but probably not as effective as limiting big events.(Fork has plenty of tournaments even with the slot) Again, I am not anti tournament, I fish a few myself. I would just like to see them spread out to other locations. Example: Has Bass Champs ever fished Joe Pool or Lake Worth? I don't know but just naming places that are about the same distance to the metromess as Roberts.

With all due respect sir, I am not calling you anti tournament but you are very much clueless about them. Roberts has less than 15 tournaments a year, only 2-3 of those are big ones. Roberts is far from over run with tournaments.

Let’s talk Worth for a minute since it was brought up. Ray Bob is 29,350 acres, lake Worth is 3489 acres. (Joe Pool 7,470). Imagine putting 250 boats in Johnson branch, that’s a little smaller but comparable in size to LW. Worth has 26 weeknight tournaments, 3 media bass tournaments, bassaholics tournament, 8 weekend opens this year, plus bass clubs, plus a 2 day championship, plus kings of Cowtown qualifiers, and kings of Cowtown tournament. All of this on a water body 8 times smaller than Ray Bob.

Fish per acre is the problem not tournaments per year or minimum length. Let’s not forget about the giant group of pelicans that won’t freaking leave...watched one gulp down a solid 3 lb bass last week.. how many are those 100 pelicans eating per day while the bass are moving shallow? I feel sure that number is higher than the tournament mortality because those darn things have been there for 2 months!

You are correct in that I don't fish 2-3 tournaments a week like many do. I fish more like 2-3 per year. I threw out the names of those two lakes because they are close to the city like Roberts is. Sounds like they get their share of pounding too, again more reason to limit the number of events held based on heath of the fishery. My opinion and source of irritation with the fishing on Roberts is simply the fact that I have been fishing it as my home lake since 1994 +/- shortly after getting out of the military. My observation is as tournaments have steadily increased in popularity, the fishing at Roberts has gotten steadily worse. You are correct in that there are many other factors such as nature and TPWD that also effect the fishing. I live toward the back of Wolf creek and there are probably a dozen or more heron nests within view of my little landing. Not to mention as you say the pelicans and all of the stinking cormorants. Having said that you can't nor do I believe should attempt to control nature. Where I do think we have a responsibility and a stewardship is to police ourselves and show a little restraint. There may only be 2-5 big tournaments a year but for each of those there is constant prefishing. There are also a bunch of club tournaments as well as weekly jack pots. You are out there frequently, how often have you seen pros practicing for the classic, what about getting ready for champs, or HS events, or the BPS event? All of those draw tons of people to the lake which = more pressure. Stocking sounds great if it would work, lets try that, and a slot limit, and limiting numbers of tournaments, lets try it all until the lake recovers and then try to do a better job of managing the resource. Anyway, I recognize some of my ideas may be off the wall but some real conversations about some real attempts to improve the fishery would be awesome!

See you on the lake and have a great day!
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Ray Roberts Slot Limit [Re: SmalljawNH] #13979312 04/29/21 09:32 PM
D
Donegonefishin Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
D
Here is a good read regarding TPWD plans and the 2019 survey

https://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwdpubs/media/lake_survey/pwd_rp_t3200_1368_2019.pdf

Re: Ray Roberts Slot Limit [Re: Bass Buster1] #13979379 04/29/21 10:14 PM
T
Txduckhunter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Grass is everywhere, there is even a good patch of pads i found last year, just not much hydrilla. TPWD is not going to allow hydrilla to come back and will likely kill it anywhere it shows up. "X" number of tournament permits per lake per year based on biologist recommendations and overall fishery health is what I would like to see. A slot would be another way to slow pressure but probably not as effective as limiting big events.(Fork has plenty of tournaments even with the slot) Again, I am not anti tournament, I fish a few myself. I would just like to see them spread out to other locations. Example: Has Bass Champs ever fished Joe Pool or Lake Worth? I don't know but just naming places that are about the same distance to the metromess as Roberts.

With all due respect sir, I am not calling you anti tournament but you are very much clueless about them. Roberts has less than 15 tournaments a year, only 2-3 of those are big ones. Roberts is far from over run with tournaments.

Let’s talk Worth for a minute since it was brought up. Ray Bob is 29,350 acres, lake Worth is 3489 acres. (Joe Pool 7,470). Imagine putting 250 boats in Johnson branch, that’s a little smaller but comparable in size to LW. Worth has 26 weeknight tournaments, 3 media bass tournaments, bassaholics tournament, 8 weekend opens this year, plus bass clubs, plus a 2 day championship, plus kings of Cowtown qualifiers, and kings of Cowtown tournament. All of this on a water body 8 times smaller than Ray Bob.

Fish per acre is the problem not tournaments per year or minimum length. Let’s not forget about the giant group of pelicans that won’t freaking leave...watched one gulp down a solid 3 lb bass last week.. how many are those 100 pelicans eating per day while the bass are moving shallow? I feel sure that number is higher than the tournament mortality because those darn things have been there for 2 months!

You are correct in that I don't fish 2-3 tournaments a week like many do. I fish more like 2-3 per year. I threw out the names of those two lakes because they are close to the city like Roberts is. Sounds like they get their share of pounding too, again more reason to limit the number of events held based on heath of the fishery. My opinion and source of irritation with the fishing on Roberts is simply the fact that I have been fishing it as my home lake since 1994 +/- shortly after getting out of the military. My observation is as tournaments have steadily increased in popularity, the fishing at Roberts has gotten steadily worse. You are correct in that there are many other factors such as nature and TPWD that also effect the fishing. I live toward the back of Wolf creek and there are probably a dozen or more heron nests within view of my little landing. Not to mention as you say the pelicans and all of the stinking cormorants. Having said that you can't nor do I believe should attempt to control nature. Where I do think we have a responsibility and a stewardship is to police ourselves and show a little restraint. There may only be 2-5 big tournaments a year but for each of those there is constant prefishing. There are also a bunch of club tournaments as well as weekly jack pots. You are out there frequently, how often have you seen pros practicing for the classic, what about getting ready for champs, or HS events, or the BPS event? All of those draw tons of people to the lake which = more pressure. Stocking sounds great if it would work, lets try that, and a slot limit, and limiting numbers of tournaments, lets try it all until the lake recovers and then try to do a better job of managing the resource. Anyway, I recognize some of my ideas may be off the wall but some real conversations about some real attempts to improve the fishery would be awesome!

Roberts had a slot. Fishing wasn't all that great for the masses back then either. Since it's impoundment it has never been what it was expected to be. Who knows why......
Champs, TTT and even the HS circuits have to go where there is a big enough venue to host the event and a large enough water body to put that many boats into.

Re: Ray Roberts Slot Limit [Re: Donegonefishin] #13979380 04/29/21 10:15 PM
Chris B Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Donegonefishin

https://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwdpubs/media/lake_survey/pwd_rp_t3200_1368_2019.pdf

Interesting read. Even TPW struggles to catch bass for their surveys. Also interesting that 43% of non tournament anglers are keeping their bass. The good news with the low population of bass is that it increases the trophy potential in my opinion.

[Linked Image]
I hate photobucket.
Re: Ray Roberts Slot Limit [Re: Donegonefishin] #13979400 04/29/21 10:39 PM
SmalljawNH Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman

Thanks, I'm reading through this now. One question I have in general (not for anyone specifically) is if the lake is man-made in 1986, how is the distinction made between native and non-native aquatic vegetation. Impoundments themselves are inherently non-native. What are we trying to accomplish by only permitting native aquatic vegetation? It seems to me that the blanket labeling of hydrilla as a non-native/invasive species neglects its benefits..

Giant Salvania is a real problem and it destroys habitats. Hydrilla, not so much (from my understanding). I know it outcompetes native vegetation... but again... we're talking about a man-made lake where native vegetation wouldn't exist if humans didn't build a lake in the first place. I feel like a calculated decision to allow certain non-native plants (e.g., hydrilla) that benefit fish and wildlife as a whole would be win/win. Might just be my ignorance.

Re: Ray Roberts Slot Limit [Re: SmalljawNH] #13979432 04/29/21 11:09 PM
Mallison22 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Tournament pressure, boat pressure, public use is never going away. Will only continue to increase. Fish population can/needs to be addressed/resolved.

Re: Ray Roberts Slot Limit [Re: SmalljawNH] #13979438 04/29/21 11:13 PM
Chris B Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
I believe 99% of the grass make up right now is native. I would also say in very low numbers overall "I've been in nearly every cove of the lake recently". There is not a ton of grass period. I only know of one tiny patch of hydrilla. I think they lake would benefit from more hydrilla and lily pads like it had in the past.

[Linked Image]
I hate photobucket.
Re: Ray Roberts Slot Limit [Re: SmalljawNH] #13979455 04/29/21 11:25 PM
D
David Burton Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
D
Originally Posted by SmalljawNH

Thanks, I'm reading through this now. One question I have in general (not for anyone specifically) is if the lake is man-made in 1986, how is the distinction made between native and non-native aquatic vegetation. Impoundments themselves are inherently non-native. What are we trying to accomplish by only permitting native aquatic vegetation? It seems to me that the blanket labeling of hydrilla as a non-native/invasive species neglects its benefits..

Giant Salvania is a real problem and it destroys habitats. Hydrilla, not so much (from my understanding). I know it outcompetes native vegetation... but again... we're talking about a man-made lake where native vegetation wouldn't exist if humans didn't build a lake in the first place. I feel like a calculated decision to allow certain non-native plants (e.g., hydrilla) that benefit fish and wildlife as a whole would be win/win. Might just be my ignorance.

Native is native to the area. There is/are was/were native grasses in the river and creeks up there since time immemorial. Hydrilla just one of many exotic "introduced" non-native to North America...

Last edited by David Burton; 04/29/21 11:25 PM.

David Burton
2015 Skeeter FX 21 +Ultrex +Helix 12 (x3) +Mega360 +MegaLive
Re: Ray Roberts Slot Limit [Re: Bass Buster1] #13979536 04/30/21 12:34 AM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D

One thing that may work to help "your home lake" is the State of Texas makes a regulation that says if you've fished the lake for 20+ years, you should take a break and try another lake or two. You've already done your part to contribute to the decline of the fishery, let some others have a crack at Ray Roberts...

#MFGA
Re: Ray Roberts Slot Limit [Re: SmalljawNH] #13979549 04/30/21 12:57 AM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
It's a mudhole and should be drained immediately

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index