Print Thread
Help? How to know what the power of a rod is? #13978735 04/29/21 02:56 PM
I
Ibock Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
I
I was wondering if yall could help me figure what the power of a rod is. I know most of the time it says on the rod label. I know there is no set standard but. How do you know if a rod is medium,MH,H besides just feel. How do the manufacters come up with their power ratings?

Ibock

PB between 8-9 pounds.
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Help? How to know what the power of a rod is? [Re: Ibock] #13978790 04/29/21 03:26 PM
tmd11111 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
I honestly don't thing there is a real standard. Seems each manufacturer rated their rods differently.

Re: Help? How to know what the power of a rod is? [Re: Ibock] #13978853 04/29/21 04:04 PM
S
squib Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
For many manufacturers, it is the last number on the rod #. So for example, a Dobyns 706 is a 7'0" length rod with a 6 power. Other manufactures might do 846 with the 84 being inches (still 7 foot) but then 6 power.

Generally for power:
1 = ultra light
2 = light
3 = medium light
4 = medium
5 = medium heavy
6 = heavy
7 = extra heavy

But even then, there is some variance.

Re: Help? How to know what the power of a rod is? [Re: squib] #13978964 04/29/21 05:12 PM
C
Chris G Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
C
Originally Posted by squib
For many manufacturers, it is the last number on the rod #. So for example, a Dobyns 706 is a 7'0" length rod with a 6 power. Other manufactures might do 846 with the 84 being inches (still 7 foot) but then 6 power.

Generally for power:
1 = ultra light
2 = light
3 = medium light
4 = medium
5 = medium heavy
6 = heavy
7 = extra heavy

Your premise is right but your ratings appear to be WAY off in my amateur opinion. I have never seen a 3 power rod listed as medium light and definitely never seen a 4 power rod listed at medium.

This is more the norm of what I have seen and this only talked to the overall power of the rod and not the action if the tip which can have a dynamic affect on the over feel of it.

1-2 = ultra light to light
3-4 = medium to medium heavy
5 = heavy to extra heavy
6 = extra or mag heavy
7 = I have personally never seen a 7 power rod but guessing there may be something out there

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Help? How to know what the power of a rod is? [Re: Ibock] #13979035 04/29/21 05:58 PM
R
ricochetrabbit Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
Visually you can get an idea of the power from the circumference around the handle end of the blank. The bigger or fatter around, the greater power. To give you an idea a heavy rod would be like your thumb, medium more like your pointer finger, and light like your pinky. This should help you narrow which ones you want to pick up If you're looking at a rack full of rods.

But if the question is how do you tell if a medium labeled rod is really a medium power, well there's no scale or benchmark like the device that measures your foot to get a true size. And just like with shoes where you have an idea which brands run bigger or smaller, you'll figure out which brands tend to underrate or overrate power. Even with the same brand you can have differences between series. Whatever a rod is labeled is a starting point but you may have to go up or down in power depending on what suits you.

Re: Help? How to know what the power of a rod is? [Re: ricochetrabbit] #13979091 04/29/21 06:41 PM
tmd11111 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by ricochetrabbit
Visually you can get an idea of the power from the circumference around the handle end of the blank. The bigger or fatter around, the greater power. To give you an idea a heavy rod would be like your thumb, medium more like your pointer finger, and light like your pinky. This should help you narrow which ones you want to pick up If you're looking at a rack full of rods.

But if the question is how do you tell if a medium labeled rod is really a medium power, well there's no scale or benchmark like the device that measures your foot to get a true size. And just like with shoes where you have an idea which brands run bigger or smaller, you'll figure out which brands tend to underrate or overrate power. Even with the same brand you can have differences between series. Whatever a rod is labeled is a starting point but you may have to go up or down in power depending on what suits you.

Circumference at the butt of the rod is not an indicator of its action.

Re: Help? How to know what the power of a rod is? [Re: Chris G] #13979208 04/29/21 08:10 PM
S
squib Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Originally Posted by Chris G

Generally for power:
1 = ultra light
2 = light
3 = medium light
4 = medium
5 = medium heavy
6 = heavy
7 = extra heavy

Your premise is right but your ratings appear to be WAY off in my amateur opinion. I have never seen a 3 power rod listed as medium light and definitely never seen a 4 power rod listed at medium.

This is more the norm of what I have seen and this only talked to the overall power of the rod and not the action if the tip which can have a dynamic affect on the over feel of it.

5 = heavy to extra heavy
6 = extra or mag heavy
7 = I have personally never seen a 7 power rod but guessing there may be something out there

Just depends on the ratings system. Mag blanks are common in bass rods. Your system falls more in line with mag blanks. I build on lots of mag blanks so that is why I say it varies.

You can get very frustrated real fast in ordering rod blanks for building custom rods. One blank manufacturer's medium heavy would be a medium with another manufacturer. I have to judge for myself after the rod is built and I put it under load. Even then, rod action sometimes makes rod power feel different.

Last edited by squib; 04/29/21 08:12 PM.
Re: Help? How to know what the power of a rod is? [Re: Ibock] #13979211 04/29/21 08:12 PM
G
greenen Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
G
The only thing I know that is unless I've tried that specific rod by that manufacturer or at least picked it up in the store I am not comfortable buying it sight unseen.

Re: Help? How to know what the power of a rod is? [Re: tmd11111] #13979297 04/29/21 09:28 PM
R
ricochetrabbit Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R

I'm not gonna lie, that's kinda weird you got that from my response since there's no mention of action. freak

Re: Help? How to know what the power of a rod is? [Re: ricochetrabbit] #13979323 04/29/21 09:36 PM
tmd11111 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru

I'm not gonna lie, that's kinda weird you got that from my response since there's no mention of action. freak

Ok I'll reword it for you. The circumference at the butt of the rod is not an indicator of its power. Feel better.

Re: Help? How to know what the power of a rod is? [Re: Ibock] #13979411 04/29/21 10:49 PM
C
Cmack Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
There are no standards. A G.Loomis 3 power will be completely different from a Falcon 3 power or a Castaway 3 power, etc. Throw in action, moderate, fast, extra fast and unless you are familiar with the way a particular company rates their rods, it's a [censored] shoot. A 5 power G. Loomis such as an 875 JWR will be much heavier and faster than a comparably rated Falcon. Not disparaging Falcon just pointing out the difference in the way companies rate their rods. I find Powell rods to be almost identical to Loomis in their rating, Falcon will be a slower action than either Loomis or Powell. That's just three companies.

Re: Help? How to know what the power of a rod is? [Re: tmd11111] #13979429 04/29/21 11:06 PM
E
ezbassin Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
E
Originally Posted by tmd11111

I agree. The thickness of the handle is not an indication of the action or the power rating of the rod. I have rods that are medium power to heavy and they have the same size handle in thickness.

Last edited by ezbassin; 04/29/21 11:08 PM.
Re: Help? How to know what the power of a rod is? [Re: Chris G] #13979434 04/29/21 11:10 PM
E
ezbassin Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
E
Originally Posted by Chris G

Generally for power:
1 = ultra light
2 = light
3 = medium light
4 = medium
5 = medium heavy
6 = heavy
7 = extra heavy

5 = heavy to extra heavy
6 = extra or mag heavy

I agree, although I have seen a 1 or 7 power rod.

If the rods aren't rated by number they will have a lure weight range listed on the rod like 1/8-1/2 would be a light action rod. Some are 3/8-3/4 and that would be a light M/H and a 3/8-1 would be a heavier M/H classification. A heavy action would be like 1/2 to 1-1/2, but even then it all depends on the manufacturer. They can be the same weight rating and feel totally different per manufacturer.

Last edited by ezbassin; 04/29/21 11:18 PM.
Re: Help? How to know what the power of a rod is? [Re: Ibock] #13979612 04/30/21 01:29 AM
JacksonBean Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity

Put on a single 4/0 worm hook, soft plastic and light weight on 20 lb mono or fluoro and go set the hook on a few fish. If it casts really well and the hook penetrates the roof of the mouth it's a medium heavy. If it doesn't have the backbone, tie on a crank and see if you can stick one. If so, it's probably a medium. If it still doesn't do the job, gift that little gem at Christmas to your "favorite" relative or send it to the local HS fishing team. You should know if it's a heavy broom stick or not and if you don't, then none of this really matters anyway. wink

Tight lines,

J

[Linked Image]
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide