Forums59
Topics1,037,820
Posts13,935,118
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Trolling motor transducer question [Re: tmd11111] #13978101 04/29/21 01:38 AM
BigDozer66 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by tmd11111
Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
Originally Posted by RATZ
if you turn it off how do you know how far it is to the bank?

roflmao

....that one might go over a head or two. Lol.

[Linked Image]

banana

2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO (VF115LA) SS Prop
Minn Kota Ultrex i-Pilot Link 45" 80 lb.
Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI BalZout Console
Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI BBT Bow Mount
Trick Step

[Linked Image]
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Trolling motor transducer question [Re: dk2429] #13978763 04/29/21 03:11 PM
SkeeterHawk Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted by dk2429
This is about to win the “dumbest question of the week” award.

I just a put an echoMap 73sv chirp on my boat for a bow graph. I’ve never had a transducer on the trolling motor.

Is it okay to be running across the lake with the unit on and transducer still running? I’ve heard a few times that having a transducer running out of water for too long can damage it, not sure how true that is

I just don’t wanna mess anything up, thanks!

Ok, the dude said he is leaving the unit on, not in standby mode.

Ask a lowrance rep to answer the dang question if you don't believe me.

Or read your owners manual.

[censored], you can't say anything on this forum without someone giving you [censored].

That's exactly why I have pretty much quit posting here.

Re: Trolling motor transducer question [Re: SkeeterHawk] #13978833 04/29/21 03:54 PM
D
dk2429 Online Content OP
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
D
Originally Posted by SkeeterHawk
Originally Posted by dk2429
This is about to win the “dumbest question of the week” award.

I just a put an echoMap 73sv chirp on my boat for a bow graph. I’ve never had a transducer on the trolling motor.

Is it okay to be running across the lake with the unit on and transducer still running? I’ve heard a few times that having a transducer running out of water for too long can damage it, not sure how true that is

I just don’t wanna mess anything up, thanks!

Ok, the dude said he is leaving the unit on, not in standby mode.

Ask a lowrance rep to answer the dang question if you don't believe me.

Or read your owners manual.

[censored], you can't say anything on this forum without someone giving you [censored].

That's exactly why I have pretty much quit posting here.

Sounds like someone is cranky. No one is talking [censored], just different opinions I found out how to put Garmin’s in standby mode and it’s really simple so I’ll probably do it anyway

Majek 22 Extreme/225 Optimax Pro XS hauled by a 2500HD Duramax

Re: Trolling motor transducer question [Re: dk2429] #13979924 04/30/21 10:47 AM
W
wagonwheel Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
W
I recall reading somewhere the reason for turning off the transducer when it is not submerged is due to the heat generated by the transducer while it is operating. The water acts as cooling for the transducer. I can't say for sure this is the reason but it does make sense--at least to me. I always put it on "standby" before I lift the trolling motor out of the water. It is easy to do and I am sure it is not hurting anything.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Hey--we finally caught one!
dwjimages.smugmug.com

Re: Trolling motor transducer question [Re: dk2429] #13980009 04/30/21 12:23 PM
hopalong Online Confused
Pescador Loco
Online Confused
Pescador Loco
have a 93sv plus and a 92 sv plus on the bow, 93 on tm ducer and 92 runs livescope. I never shut down the bow units and have been doing it that way for decades with birds and now garmins, never a problem with a ducer going bad from it.

and yes you can sleep a garmin, push the power button and the sleep/power down screen comes up.

" Hop, set the hook"!
hopalong 99,999
TexDawg 99,999
FJB! not my president by a long shot!

lake fork FISHERMANS COVE MARINA/reservations - 903 474 7479
Re: Trolling motor transducer question [Re: DLALLDER] #13980034 04/30/21 12:40 PM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Originally Posted by DLALLDER
Speaking for LOWRANCE units, I think Lowrance put the standby mode on their units for a reason. I am not sure I know what that reason is but I always put the unit (2 units on my boat) that I am not using in the standby mode. It may be possible that the stand-by mode is simply a battery saving mode and most DF's use more energy than you might think.

LCD screens must be "driven" very hard to generate enough brightness for viewing in daylight/sunlight. This generates substantial heat that contributes to the degradation of the screen components that eventually results in failure. In the early days of the LCD technology screens, it was this factor that constrained the feasibility of the product class. Your display's screen will feel hot, but not all that heat is because the sun is shining on it. Anytime you can reduce the brightness level or turn off the screen, you are adding to the longevity of your unit. When in standby mode, the biggest energy savings comes from turning off the screen drivers.

I don't know why Lowrance didn't publish the standby mode power level for the Live units, but they did for the predecessor, Carbon. An HDS Carbon 12 is rated to use 2.3A max power at 13.8 volts (with amps climbing as voltage decreases), typical power of 2 Amps, and Standby power of LESS THAN 0.72 Amps. So, put a unit in Standby, and you cut power consumption to less than half while most likely increasing the usable life of your unit by giving that screen a chance to cool off a bit.

In the earlier days of sonar, transducer crystals were a bit more fragile, and certainly not cheap. I don't recall if I ever saw an official source that said water provided some cooling for the transducer, but I did read back then that it was a good idea to turn them off when out of the water. The transducers we use are designed to function in a dense medium (water vs. air), so you run into a discontinuity when the energy reaches the boundary between the case of the transducer and the air. Discontinuities of medium generally cause more reflection of energy, so transmitted signal bounces back more readily vs. continuing out of the transducer casement and into the surrounding medium. This will cause excessive vibration of the crystal as the energy load isn't being absorbed by the air very well. Think of it like revving your outboard to 5000 RPM and leaving it there a while when connected to a garden hose muff. You probably know that that no-load RPM isn't good at all for the engine. The same goes for transducers.

HOWEVER, manufacturers know anglers will be lazy or just don't care, and some will simply forget to turn the transmitter off. So, over time, the transducer designs have been improved to the point they can more readily withstand the "harder life" of running in air vs. much more absorbent water. Standby mode not only saves power for the unit, it turns off the sonar transmitter, which certainly doesn't hurt. I haven't seen any manual of the ones I've read that say the transmitter must be turned off, but they do recommend standby mode, which is going to do this for you as well. It won't hurt.

Re: Trolling motor transducer question [Re: dk2429] #13980210 04/30/21 02:15 PM
P
prosise Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
I used to turn stuff off, but life is too short to be fiddling with standby when moving. Only thing I would say is how big is the battery running all your electronics? I would do a battery current calculation. If I run the Helix 12, with the 360 I am pulling around 3.7amps. If I run this on my starting battery all day, there is a chance i might have a starting problem. Since I run the bilge/aereator/recirc/lights on the starting battery I am pushing it.. I added a 60ah battery dedicated to the depth finder/360 and it calculates to 16 hours before the voltage drops below the required amount. If you are running 3 units might check this..

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide