Page 1 of 2 1 2
Good Bye Academy, it's been great #13956012 04/11/21 07:11 PM
B
Buzzard Breath Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
Going into Academy lately it seems like they are short on everything...including customer service. Went in to get some bunk carpet, found it and got in line. This was Sunday morning and I thought I beat the crowds but still ended up with 10 people waiting in front of me. I finally get to the register, kid rings it up, wrong price comes up. I tell him what the price is supposed to be and he tells me if I bring him a picture of the price he'll adjust. I can see the look in the eyes of the folks waiting behind me, it's either make them wait while I go get the picture or go to the back of the line and start all over again. Not sure what happened to the days they would call in a manager or do a price check (they can even do it on their phones now instead of running around the store), guess they just aren't staffed for that anymore. I took the third option of just walking away, got out to the truck and ordered it on Amazon for same price in store, it'll be here tomorrow.

I went in recently looking for a bike, not much of a selection and quality was poor, ended up ordering from Amazon.
I went in recently looking for waterproof shoes, my size (common size) not in stock, ordered from Amazon.
I went in recently to buy a patio umbrella, the line went nearly to the back of the store (this was Arlington, it snaked back to camping gear!), I went to HD and was in/out in 10 minutes.

Now I will admit, the restrooms are generally pretty clean so if I'm in the area and I gotta go I'll stop in but otherwise I think I'm done. If you work there...well, good luck to you, I hear Amazon is hiring.

DON'T LITTER!

Re: Good Bye Academy, it's been great [Re: Buzzard Breath] #13956066 04/11/21 08:21 PM
D
Dayne Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
D
I’ve never been a fan of Academy but I have the Bass Pro main store between my house and Academy.

Re: Good Bye Academy, it's been great [Re: Buzzard Breath] #13956177 04/11/21 10:38 PM
S
Shercove Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
S
I have a feeling stores like Academy are probably really hurting for employees right now and taking on anybody who puts in an applicaiton, since most of them can probably make more on unemployment with the covid assistance. I do try to support local tackle shops for a majority of my needs but stores like Academy can be useful especially when they have good sales.

Plus not everyone has a Cabela's or Bass Pro within a reasonable distance.

Re: Good Bye Academy, it's been great [Re: Shercove] #13958721 04/13/21 06:20 PM
BigDozer66 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Shercove
I have a feeling stores like Academy are probably really hurting for employees right now and taking on anybody who puts in an applicaiton, since most of them can probably make more on unemployment with the covid assistance. I do try to support local tackle shops for a majority of my needs but stores like Academy can be useful especially when they have good sales.

Plus not everyone has a Cabela's or Bass Pro within a reasonable distance.

Nothing close to us except Academy.

Ours usually has a good number of employees in every department and a decent selection most of the time. cheers

2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO (VF115LA) SS Prop
Minn Kota Ultrex i-Pilot Link 45" 80 lb.
Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI BalZout Console
Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI BBT Bow Mount
Trick Step

[Linked Image]
Re: Good Bye Academy, it's been great [Re: Buzzard Breath] #13966487 04/20/21 01:07 AM
S
skeeter61 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
The Academy in Amarillo is doing an ok job. They have increased some inventory. I have no real complaints.

Re: Good Bye Academy, it's been great [Re: Buzzard Breath] #13966708 04/20/21 11:01 AM
C
Coolarrow Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
I’ll go to Academy for general fishing stuff.. jig heads, crappie jigs, stuff like that. All my bass tackle I order as you will just waste your gas trying to drive to find it. There are a couple local tackle shops I’ll hit if I’m in the area but usually I’m not on that end of the lake. Amazon for a few items but I found you really have to watch the price. Several stores over charge on their stuff or price is good but shipping is crazy.

Re: Good Bye Academy, it's been great [Re: Buzzard Breath] #13967711 04/21/21 12:53 AM
I
IslandJim Online Content
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
I
Academy is (or was) owned by KKR, masters of the leveraged buy-out. They also bought Toys'r'Us and ran it into bankruptcy(again). Academy was a privately-owned company for a long time and was great. Not so much, now. Bain Capital was at one time involved. These guys buy companies, on the upswing, and when there's a market decline, they cut costs, inventory and employees. Service be damned. Not a BPS fan, but they're run a lot better. IslandJim

I'm an Eighth Day Adventist. On the Eighth Day, God went fishing!
Re: Good Bye Academy, it's been great [Re: Buzzard Breath] #13969405 04/22/21 02:40 AM
ShinerInTx Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I can understand being upset over the lack of customer service on the item priced incorrectly. I’ll also say, I think a lot of stores are sold out of a lot of items right now, don’t know that is Academy’s fault. For instance, bikes, weights, etc.

Overall, my experience has been positive. They really have everything I need, at a decent price, are conveniently located, easier in/out than some of their competitors. My local store has an excellent selections of rods, reels, line, plastics, terminal tackle etc. I’ve purchased a lot of boat and trailer parts there over the last year that I was surprised they had, and saved me a longer trip. I bought new trailer lights there this afternoon actually. I also bought a pair of tennis shoes. I don’t even know where else I would go to buy a pair of tennis shoes locally anymore...

I hope that they do well. I was/am not happy that BPS bought out Cabelas. Competition is good.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Good Bye Academy, it's been great [Re: ShinerInTx] #13970173 04/22/21 06:23 PM
M
malibu6501 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
I'll go to Academy for some things, but for tackle it's usually to Tackletown in Rockport. I did make a decent purchase at Academy not too long ago. Wife wanted an elliptical. Searched forever and stock was low everywhere. Finally found one in stock at the Corpus store. Online from Proform the unit was close to a buck and a wait to get plus shipping to deal with. Academy in Corpus showed it in stock and had it for $200 less than Proform. Hmmm, what's the catch. Older model? So did the purchase, went to the store and did the wait in the parking lot thing. I let them know I was there and a guy came out and asked if it was open box because that's all he had. Hmmm, so there's the catch. But then a guy wheeled it out to me. New, current model, and in the box. Had a sticker with my name on it. After I got home, I checked their stock, and it said zero. I got the last one. Pleasantly surprised.

Re: Good Bye Academy, it's been great [Re: Buzzard Breath] #13985052 05/04/21 02:51 PM
A
ArcherAnthony Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
Its not just Academy hurting for employees currently. Just take a drive down any business district and count the now hiring signs. I feel your pain. Ive been in alot of retailers lately and see the lines and makes me want to walk right back out the door. Unfortunately its not their fault. People are getting paid more to sit at home than actually going to work.

Re: Good Bye Academy, it's been great [Re: Buzzard Breath] #13986434 05/05/21 01:02 PM
D
DDM Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
we have lots of new folks coming in at the border that will work

Re: Good Bye Academy, it's been great [Re: Buzzard Breath] #13991746 05/10/21 01:30 PM
H
Hogfan1 Offline
Angler
Angler
H
Academy has been going downhill since being bought out by KKR. They have been hurting for employees for the last several years because they are paying much lower than the others. When retail business started raising wages, Academy did not so they are scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Re: Good Bye Academy, it's been great [Re: Buzzard Breath] #13994804 05/12/21 05:15 PM
R
redskeet100 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
Not only customer service, but they have dwindled down the fishing selection, and it is like they stock the store every quarter now. Every time I go in there I think to myself "why."

Re: Good Bye Academy, it's been great [Re: Buzzard Breath] #13995184 05/12/21 09:01 PM
C
Cmack Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
C
I was in the Huntsville store yesterday and the selection was pathetic. I usually defend Academy but their downhill slide seems to be gaining speed.

Re: Good Bye Academy, it's been great [Re: Buzzard Breath] #14016264 05/31/21 01:06 PM
R
ring fry Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
R
Ours in Ardmore is horrible. A couple months ago I wanted to buy a Lew's reel. Looked around for someone to help me and couldn't find anyone. Went to the gun counter and the guy was nice and paged for someone to go to the fishing counter. I waited about 6 or 7 minutes, went back to the gun counter. He made another page, went back and waited three or four minutes, nobody. I had a dozen ProV 1's, several lures, line and a couple other items in a carry basket. With the reel it would have been over 200 dollars. I put them on the counter and left. Emailed Academy about the experience and got a reply that they would contact the store manager about it. Last I heard from them.

Their lure selection is weak and to check out is about as bad as Walmart.

Retired grass grower

2008, 2022 NCAA Men's Basketball Champions
GO JAYHAWKS

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide