Page 1 of 2 1 2
Need help with Bass Boats #13967101 04/20/21 05:24 PM
D
danial S Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D
so, im basically as new as you can get at boating, as I've been a bank angler all my life. As high school progresses for me and things start to cool down a little with covid, I'm finally getting more time to fish. Hopefully, ill be getting a summer job this year and was wondering what I should be looking for in new/used boats? what boats would you recommend? here's what I'm looking for

≥18 feet in length
capacity for at least 4 people
comes with trailer
live well
storage for tackle
sub 20k price

that's just about all I know about bass boats right now. don't know whether I want aluminum or fiberglass, or any of the more fancy stuff so please enlighten me!

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Need help with Bass Boats [Re: danial S] #13967134 04/20/21 05:44 PM
BassfisherHTX Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
For that budget I would prolly look for an 18 foot aluminum with a 115 that’s less than 5 years old.

Re: Need help with Bass Boats [Re: danial S] #13967140 04/20/21 05:53 PM
shotgunwilly Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Buy something you can beat up and learn with as your first boat.

Re: Need help with Bass Boats [Re: danial S] #13967148 04/20/21 05:57 PM
J
Jake Blood Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
J
You can get a lot of boat for 20k... For a first time boat owner I would actually suggest going much cheaper... something if you hit a dock or what not and scratch it you won't care... something that might give you a few problems to figure out a long the way... boats break down and you gotta have some know how to get you on/off the lake.. after you had that for 6 months or a year, then spend 20k on something... just my thoughts. I had a 4000 dollar boat for ten years.. just bought a 15k boat and feel good about trailering, navigating or fixing the occasional issue myself...

Re: Need help with Bass Boats [Re: Jake Blood] #13967175 04/20/21 06:15 PM
S
Scoundrel Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Jake Blood
You can get a lot of boat for 20k... For a first time boat owner I would actually suggest going much cheaper... something if you hit a dock or what not and scratch it you won't care... something that might give you a few problems to figure out a long the way... boats break down and you gotta have some know how to get you on/off the lake.. after you had that for 6 months or a year, then spend 20k on something... just my thoughts. I had a 4000 dollar boat for ten years.. just bought a 15k boat and feel good about trailering, navigating or fixing the occasional issue myself...

+1 I like this approach.

Re: Need help with Bass Boats [Re: Jake Blood] #13967196 04/20/21 06:41 PM
D
Dbrit83 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D

+1

I started in a little 16ft 1972 hull with a '66 40 hp motor that cost $2500, I got to learn how to rebuild carbs, along with a decent bit of other motor work and other upgrades on the boat to make it nicer. Was the best thing I could have done with boating, I hit many docks, stumps and my trailer didn't have to worry about that nice finish I just screwed up or anything and it set me up for owning a little nice boat now. For my second boat I only spent about 12k and I'm still learning (you always will be) but that's just my two cents.

Re: Need help with Bass Boats [Re: Scoundrel] #13967207 04/20/21 06:46 PM
D
danial S Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D

Originally Posted by Dbrit83

+1

I started in a little 16ft 1972 hull with a '66 40 hp motor that cost $2500, I got to learn how to rebuild carbs, along with a decent bit of other motor work and other upgrades on the boat to make it nicer. Was the best thing I could have done with boating, I hit many docks, stumps and my trailer didn't have to worry about that nice finish I just screwed up or anything and it set me up for owning a little nice boat now. For my second boat I only spent about 12k and I'm still learning (you always will be) but that's just my two cents.

Originally Posted by Scoundrel

+1 I like this approach.

well, I guess its decided then! plus, I wouldn't mind easing it on the wallet a bit. there so many hobbies like Mountain biking where you either go with the top-of-the-line bikes or you arent a true hobbyist that I was taking the same approach with boating. good to hear that I won't be cracking out 20k on a boat!

Re: Need help with Bass Boats [Re: danial S] #13967215 04/20/21 06:52 PM
Fishinfellow Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
I agree with most of the above. My first boat was $4000, it was a 19 foot aluminum bass boat with a 150 and I caught a ton of fish out of it. I would cut your budget in half and maybe even more and just get something that will get the job done. If you end up using it a lot and loving it then you can always upgrade.

Thats my money fish
[Linked Image]
Kris Winhold
Re: Need help with Bass Boats [Re: danial S] #13967216 04/20/21 06:53 PM
Jons3825 Offline
" Mod Alert"
" Mod Alert"
Na... thats just want people who want to feel good about their purchases make you feel. I rode 100-160 miles of trails a week on a $500 29'er and only had to replace tires, brake pads and the chain once.

Boats are close to the same. Get what you're comfy in, what fits your needs, etc. I would not go less than 18' if you're fishing most lakes in Texas as over a 20 mph wind it can get dicey. Speed kills, boats have a total of zero brakes, and the faster you go the faster it goes wrong. It is all about your comfort level. You wouldn't do the EKG drop at River Legacy your first day out, same with a boat.

[Linked Image]
PM me for diving info or for recovery quote's.
LIKE the TFF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texasfishingforum
Originally Posted by Brad
I will be back. I'm never truly gone
Re: Need help with Bass Boats [Re: danial S] #13967236 04/20/21 07:13 PM
Donald Harper Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
If I was you; I would graduate up the ladder from bank fishing to a boat. Making that in one big leap does not give the experience one needs to make good decisions on a boat purchase.
- Join a Bass Club and get to know the guys there.
- Ask questions and fish with as many of them as you can out in a boat.
- Make your contributions to their expenses.
- By the end of the first season you will have a good idea of what boat to purchase.
- You will have a good mentor in that club to help you make all the right decision on a good boat purchase.

I understand, that you would like to have a boat now to take your friends out on the water. I do not know of very many 18 ft. boats that are safe for 4 people that are inexperienced. Start with your boater safety course and begin to work your way forward is my 2cents

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Re: Need help with Bass Boats [Re: Donald Harper] #13967270 04/20/21 07:49 PM
D
Dbrit83 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
Originally Posted by Donald Harper
If I was you; I would graduate up the ladder from bank fishing to a boat. Making that in one big leap does not give the experience one needs to make good decisions on a boat purchase.
- Join a Bass Club and get to know the guys there.
- Ask questions and fish with as many of them as you can out in a boat.
- Make your contributions to their expenses.
- By the end of the first season you will have a good idea of what boat to purchase.
- You will have a good mentor in that club to help you make all the right decision on a good boat purchase.

I understand, that you would like to have a boat now to take your friends out on the water. I do not know of very many 18 ft. boats that are safe for 4 people that are inexperienced. Start with your boater safety course and begin to work your way forward is my 2cents

This is also great advice, I will admit that when I brought my first one I was in ND in the Air Force and did not have the option of bass clubs or any other fishing clubs. When I moved to Texas I joined a bass club and fished on others boat for the first year and a half before finding a good deal on an older bass boat.

Re: Need help with Bass Boats [Re: danial S] #13967276 04/20/21 07:53 PM
F
Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
I would say get a tracker 175 with a 4 stroke motor and just learn how to handle that and see if you really enjoy fishing and you can always resale it if you want to upgrade later on at a great price plus you can get a nice one for like 7k which saves money for a good PFD and registration.

Re: Need help with Bass Boats [Re: danial S] #13967279 04/20/21 07:56 PM
Fishingking Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Look at the Tracker Classic XL. New with 40 hp, Trolling Motor, Graph. 14,000.00 thumb

Re: Need help with Bass Boats [Re: danial S] #14068530 07/21/21 02:20 AM
D
dk2429 Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
D
Get you a 14ft flat bottom that has a trailer... Throw a 15-25hp motor on the back, trolling motor on the front, maybe rig you a 5" graph, and go fish! Get the hang of operating a boat first. Plus this setup is virtually trouble free.

Majek 22 Extreme/225 Optimax Pro XS hauled by a 2500HD Duramax

Re: Need help with Bass Boats [Re: danial S] #14068564 07/21/21 02:54 AM
P
prosise Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Trolling motor and good graph are highly recommended. You can be in a 20K boat, with POS electronics and TM and you will suffer. Make sure you get some kind of spot lock.. Just my .02 ..

Good luck, and please keep us updated..

Prosise

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide