Forums59
Topics1,037,861
Posts13,935,741
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Getting started catfishing [Re: šŸ€El Gato AzulšŸ€] #13964658 04/18/21 04:22 AM
M
Mckinneycrappiecatcher Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
M
Originally Posted by šŸŒŠEl Gato AzulšŸŒŠ
If your going for 30 lb fish and larger I will tell ya 20 lb test has broken my heart quite a few times in my younger days especially fishing on the bottom from the bank. Good 20 lb test can easily handle a big fish if everything goes just right but a lot of big fish will rub your line on rocks, timber, docks or anything to try and get you off of them and the slightest bit of abrasion can weaken 20 lb test considerably. Just the process of casting out can nick your line with your hook. I caught a lot of big fish on 20 lb test when everything went just right but I also lost a bunch when things went wrong. I moved up to 25 lb test 20 yrs ago and that helped considerably but I still broke off a few good ones from time to time. If your line gets nicked or abraded your gonna loose your biggest baddest fish and you just donā€™t get very many shots at those. I moved up to 30 lb test 5 yrs ago and I havenā€™t broke off a single big fish and we catch our fair share of em. Even for guys that are just starting out fishing cut and live bait I recommend at least 25 lb test. Might save you from some serious heart break of loosing your first Toad. You can still catch plenty of eaters on 25 lb test and in the event you hang a 60 lbr you wonā€™t be bringing a knife to a gun fight and praying your line isnā€™t nicked.

Your 5000c can handle big fish but it doesnā€™t have much line capacity especially if your using heavier test line and your casting out a long ways. I used to run your same reels 30 yrs ago when I first started fishing for flatheads. The problem I had was when I would hang a big Flathead or a large fish that ran hard there wasnā€™t enough line capacity and I would get spooled on my biggest fish almost every time. The other issue was if I got hung up and had to break off there wasnā€™t enough line left on the spool to re-tie and keep fishing.

As you get into it more your gonna want more rod and reels. There are countless reels that you can buy but the Abu 6500c3 is by far the most popular catfish reel and it can handle all kinds and sizes of catfish.
My rods are all medium /heavy
25-30 lb Big game in solar collector green is what I use
60 lb big game leader approximately 18ā€-3 ft long
6/0-10/0 circle hook depending on size of bait
Carolina rig or a 3 way santee with a pegged float and a 2 oz no roll sinker.
Live Sunfish for Flatheads and chopped sunfish and Shad for blues.

Right now you have a great chance to catch a big Flathead. get you a bucket of live sunfish and head to a rocky shore with boulders or right at the end of an abandoned boat ramp where the concrete drops off. Fish at night. Itā€™s a waiting game. Do this 1 night for the next 3 weekends and youā€™ll catch your fist big Flathead I guarantee. Do not leave a pole unattended or out of a rod holder cuz you will lose your whole rod. Itā€™s a long slow way to fish but itā€™s a ton of fun when hang a freight train. Take some pictures and let us know how it goes.

The only thing I would add to this is to try some bullheads too! Itā€™s flathead season and itā€™s a great chance to get a big fish.

Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: Getting started catfishing [Re: deucer02] #13972826 04/25/21 11:16 AM
C
christian myrick Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
C
I have caught many fish over 50 and up to 85 lbs. All I use are abu 5000 and 5500. As far as I'm concerned that's the only catfish reel I need to know the name of.

Re: Getting started catfishing [Re: deucer02] #13972827 04/25/21 11:19 AM
C
christian myrick Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
C
I dont like braid either. 20-25 lb mono. I don't usually fish from land. Mostly kayak.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide