Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Grapevine Lake #13960723 04/15/21 02:41 AM
P
prosise Online Content OP
Angler
OP Online Content
Angler
P
This thread is for anyone who wants to share info on current fishing conditions on Grapevine lake.

Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #13960755 04/15/21 03:03 AM
P
Angler
OP Online Content
Angler
P
4-14-21
Today was a good day, launched at Meadomere and stayed pretty close all day. You can go out in the morning and see birds working between Meadomere and Twin coves. The fish are pushing the shad up and you can catch some fish but they are quick. I did go work one school today, then dropped a jig and caught fish down in the 20 ft range. I am catching better fish on the bottom, or down below the schooling fish. Out in deep water there is a mass of fish.. If you are going to fish a jig, scale back to a medium size or just a tad smaller for better luck. I worked one set of birds and caught small fish. I went back towards the 17-20ft range up on the top of the Meadomere shelf. I can see a few fish on my graph, but I can work the jig and catch fish. I am using the redneck bluetooth thumper non-stop, it works. I specifically focused on larger fish today, so I worked a jigging spoon up on the top of the large shelf in front of Meadomere part all day. About 6pm I eased over to the windy point and threw a crankbait, big fish galore. Late afternoon bite is the big fish, didn't catch any 14+ inch fish until 6pm on. Sitting in 17-14ft of water casting towards the bank, bumping the bottom very slowly back to the boat. Did real well. Met a young man who was having trolling motor problems, with some redneck engineering we got him fishing for the rest of the day. Crossed paths with Jason from yesterday, and we caught fish on the jigging spoon for a while. Optimum setup for the jig is 6-10 pound mono (fluoro recomended), or 6-8lb braided. The braided casts farther, but you might have to deal with a wind knot every now and then.

Just look for birds working to fish fish on the move. For bigger fish focus on the bottom with a smaller to med size jigging spoon.
I have been graphing allot lately, you will see fish down in the 30 ft range below the drop. These are tougher to catch, move up top of the drop on the large shelf in front of Meadomere park in the 15-20 ft range. Just keep working the jigging spoon on the bottom. if you are fishing until sunset move up to the main point and keep the boat in the 13-15ft range and cast as far as you can with a crankbait. If you are not bumping the bottom, get a deeper running crankbait. If you do not make contact, you are spinning your wheels. ill add some video tomorrow, too late and sleepy. Caught Allot of fish today, and some really nice fish close to sunset. Take care all and God Bless.

You can check the last few days on the (Denton Creek 2021) thread for the last three days.

Prosise

[Linked Image]

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #13961162 04/15/21 02:45 PM
J
JWC Nauticstar Online Content
Angler
Online Content
Angler
J
Prosise!!!
Thanks again for the invite over. we were catching 6 inch fish till you waved us over. You have it dialed in for sure.
We experimented with different baits, but most all our good fish were on the MAL lure. A few caught on the little george"style" and 3/4oz slabs.

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #13961292 04/15/21 04:04 PM
L
LukeF798 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
L
I am the young man with the trolling motor problems, or I was the one with the trolling motor problems. Now, thanks to Mr. Brent, I am the young man with a working trolling motor and a nice roughed up fish thumb. I couldn’t be more thankful, hope to see you on the water soon!

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #13961303 04/15/21 04:11 PM
B
bronco71 Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
B
welcome

1999 Triton TX21/225 Mercury Optimax
Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: LukeF798] #13961453 04/15/21 05:52 PM
J
Angler
Online Content
Angler
J
Sorry i missed you, we came later I guess. It was rough out there in the wind.

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #13961466 04/15/21 06:03 PM
rkd Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Prosise-your reports are VERY much appreciated. I'm stuck in the office all day thinking about fishing so it's been great living through you vicariously...whether it be the trips up the river in your canoe or the main lake white bass fishing. Bottles, old lures, even a random anchor.....all very cool to read about. When work calms down and I can get out on Grapevine, you and JWC have always helped me cut down on my limited time spent searching.

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #13961636 04/15/21 08:26 PM
P
Angler
OP Online Content
Angler
P
Well it is time to take a some hours off in the afternoon and get some outside time. There is no guarantee, all I can go on is the last week. If you stay until sunset find a windy point and try and keep your boat in the 12 ft range, cast a crankbait as far up to the bank and try and bump it back to you. When the wind flips look for banks with a gradual taper, not a deep drop. When the wind flips and comes from the south it changes. Right now the mid like area is saturated, and you can catch fish if you are patient. If you have a thumper it is highly recommended, I can tell a big difference in qty with the thumping sound.. I have received many questions on the redneck bluetooth thumper setup.. The app is called "The metronome by soundbrenner" on google play. Just search metronome and you should see it. Here are the settings that I use.. Pretty simple, and if you have a bluetooth speaker just set it face down on the bottom of the boat. Doesn't have to be that loud, the deep sound will get out. It surprised me for sure. Couple of things to emphasize, sharp hooks. If you do not use a hook sharpener, just give it a try. Anything will work, everybody has a old wet stone they can bring along. Just check the tip of the hook on your fingernail, if it doesn't stick in your fingernail when you touch the nail it needs to be sharpened. It really picks the numbers up. Secondly, hook size. If you buy some of the larger jigging spoons the hooks are a little big. I swap them out with a smaller hook. Grapevine has some good fish but compared to other lakes they are typically smaller. Only fishing sun-tues, work the back end of the week.. Everybody be safe, and please share info. Get those kids out, the birds are fun to see and they will enjoy it more if they catch a fish..

Pretty basic, but the bass sound seems to get out better than my homemade hammer thumper. Also is a heck of a lot easier to use. The real deal thumpers out there prob are better than anything, but Im cheap and like to tinker so I build my own.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Here is a random clip which shows the way I was changing up the technique yesterday.. Some small changes would get them to bite. Also, I was using 6lb test fluro on the spinning reel with a crankbait. It really helps it get down quick. When I would feel it bump the bottom I would pause, this is working very very well. I Have been using the med size cordell spoon from walmart and getting some good results. The big spoons are not producing as much.. The crankbait is culling the smaller fish and has produced the biggest fish on every day I have used it. I love to sit in the chair and just chip away at them. You can see Meadomere in the background, prob 400 yards from the bank in about 14 ft of water.. I was about 100 yards from the drop, just pulled up and started fishing.. After about 5 minutes I was just picking them up steadily.

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #13961708 04/15/21 09:30 PM
F
fishrdude Online Content
Angler
Online Content
Angler
F
Very cool. I loaded tthe app and picked up a speaker today. Can't wait to try it out. Are you seeing fish on the graph and then stopping to fish or are you just stopping on the point and the thumper brings them in?

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #13961756 04/15/21 10:04 PM
P
Angler
OP Online Content
Angler
P
Give me some input if you can. Try a spot for 10 minutes, then turn on the speaker face down on the floor. Try this a couple of times and let me know what you see.

To be honest, I just look at the 2d sonar and the hummingbird will show shad as a blob, where the fish will show more like a line. I checked the drop at meadomere and right at the bottom of the drop there is shad "I think". I tried fishing it and had no luck. Up on the top I found that The bigger fish were coming from the center of the top area, the smaller fish were closer to the east (channel going back to the boat ramp). If I see any multiple signs of fish I will give it a try. For me the closer I am to the drop the less fish I was producing (which makes absolutely no sense).. Didn't do any good down below the drop. I checked about 5 spots, and the area during the day was the center. After 4pm I moved closer to main point east of the park or the main point of the park. This is when the wind is blowing into the point.
But I dont see schools on the graph in the 10-17ft range, more like a couple of arcs. Even with I am catching fish the sonar is pretty quiet with a line or arc every now and then.. The side image will show me that there are fish in an area when scanning, but I do not know what they are.. I know there is fish in the area, but I have to test each spot. If I catch 10 fish in the 4-5" range I will move and see what happens. But, with all this said. If you do not see bait in the area, there will be no fish (In my opinion).. There is a massive amount of shad balls up in the corner of meadomere near the swim area and to the right.
Below will help. This picture is from the lowrance app. which is free.

A : catching better fish during the day (Last 3 days).
B: smaller fish
AB: Mix between the two.

[Linked Image]

Pulled some screenshots from the week, forgot about these. When i see something different I take a screenshot.

Thought this might be a sandal.. But looks like a shoe.
[Linked Image]

This is what I typically see when there is a couple spots on the sonar. As long as I see something I will give it a try, but only in a area I know has fish.
[Linked Image]

This was in the "A" area when I was in the fish. This was yesterday.
[Linked Image]

When I went out into the main lake to fish the birds with Jason. Luke and his friend were out there with a rat-l-trap working them. I did pick up a few of these with a spoon at the top of the fish pile. This was out in front of the main point that is east of meadomere towards dove.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by prosise; 04/16/21 12:38 AM.
Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #13962547 04/16/21 02:52 PM
rkd Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Per the thumper comments, I can remember several years ago when the guides on Texoma first started "thumping". They used an old wooden broom stick/handle and would just bounce the broom off the bottom of their boat. They would vary the cadence while watching their graphs to see how the fish would react. Probably wouldn't work as well (or at all) if you have a carpeted floor in your boat. It's an affordable substitute!!

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #13965535 04/19/21 02:27 AM
P
Angler
OP Online Content
Angler
P
Starter at 6am, worked a few areas for bass before looking around the Meadomere area. Caught some fish, but is wasn't very productive. About 10am I went looking, I hit every main lake point down to the island. Birds are out in full force, but for me all I caught was fish in the 4-6" range. It may look like fun, but the birds are a trap if you ask me. Stay on the bottom and you will catch more quality fish. I fished two schools and gave both a chance before going back to the bottom. Moved to the north side of the lake and from Rock Ledge I fished all the main lake points back to Murrell park. Went out on the end of the main point at Murrell and in 26ft of water started fishing. Pretty much stayed within 30 yards of that spot until about 630'ish. Using the med cordell spoon, I caught fish steadily for over three hours. Saw a center console that was out of the drop, waved him over and it was a guide. We were able to get the boys on some fish. Met a TFF'r "Miles" and his crew, we caught some fish towards the end of my stay at the point. It started to slow down, so I went back to the main point at Meadomere to see if the big females would hit the crankbait. That was a bust, as they were not to be found. Tried both main points at Meadomere with no big girls. With the rain, the water has a slight stained color. Bait has moved down the lake a bit, and the fish have followed. You will be seeing the birds, but I really think you will do better fishing down deeper. Caught a ton of fish, and really have no idea of the numbers. Working the med jigging spoon on the bottom, shaking the jig right off the bottom. Fish are off the drop, and if you are patient can really catch allot of fish. No Video, basically a repeat of me catching 7-10 inch fish with an occasional 11 incher. Going to look at a few new spots tomorrow, wind will change so will be interesting.

Note: the med cordell spoon comes with a really big silver hook, take this off and put on a smaller hook. You will increase your numbers. Towards the 5:00pm time I scaled back to a smaller jig and it continued to produce..

I fished many points, and out into the 25 ft range on the north side of the lake. Most of them were holding small fish, and not very consistent. Humps, and long points that are in the 22-26ft range are holding better fish for me.

[Linked Image]

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #13966639 04/20/21 03:37 AM
P
Angler
OP Online Content
Angler
P
Fished 10-830pm with my good buddy Ronnie. Short story version: fishing was slow. We went to the bridge near the island, but couldn't get any takers. Headed over to Murrel point and caught allot of fish but they were in the 7-10" range. Ran into a a man that I have seen for many years out on the lake, I will call him "Mr. R". He was looking for some fish and keeping over 11" fish. We helped him with his limit "i hope" , one escaped on the transfer so he had to pick up a few more. Met a TFF'r Mr. White and we looked around Murrell some. Fishing was off today, we could catch fish but it was every now and then after 2pm. Me and Ronnie worked our way closer to the point and caught bigger fish on crankbaits earlie in the day. You can see fish in the 10-15ft range, and we caught some good fish. However, it was a little bit of work catching fish over 11" at murrell. We did catch a few on jigging spoons, but a majority were small. "Mr.R", and "Mr. White" caught a good catfish on a spoon which is cool. About 5'ish I side scanned the whole point at murrell and it was pretty quite. Moved east and we caught a few big oned on a crankbait. Fish/bait are out in deep water but couldn't get them to cooperate. Was a beautiful day, and a nice sunset. We ran down to the main point for the last 20 minutes of sun at Meadomere and I caught about 5 fish before we called it. Was a great day with an old Buddy, and yes He got the big fish today.. Was a blessed day out on the water.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #13966735 04/20/21 11:47 AM
G
Grapvine Homer Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
G
Me and the wife we also out fishing around you . We were in the white skeeter. Glad to finally meet you . I have been following your post for the past year. Your tips and lure presentation are spot on. Fishing was slow at best but we had a great time. Birds did get going at the last part of the evening near the island and we caught a few there. Overall we picked up around 20 sandies . Most of them keepers. But no big fatties. Thanks again for all the post keep them coming .

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #13966745 04/20/21 12:00 PM
T
T- Gil Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Always such informative post!

[Linked Image]

TEAM HUMDINGER

1st teach a child to love God, teach him second to love Family, 3rd teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. CC

"Una Stamus"
Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: Grapvine Homer] #13966789 04/20/21 12:51 PM
P
Angler
OP Online Content
Angler
P
Originally Posted by Grapvine Homer
Me and the wife we also out fishing around you . We were in the white skeeter. Glad to finally meet you . I have been following your post for the past year. Your tips and lure presentation are spot on. Fishing was slow at best but we had a great time. Birds did get going at the last part of the evening near the island and we caught a few there. Overall we picked up around 20 sandies . Most of them keepers. But no big fatties. Thanks again for all the post keep them coming .

Was nice to meet you as well, your Blessed to have that fishing partner. Hope to cross paths with you again. That trolling motor is powerful, really moves the boat around...

Take care

Prosise

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #13966836 04/20/21 01:35 PM
B
bronco71 Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted by prosise
Fished 10-830pm with my good buddy Ronnie. Short story version: fishing was slow. We went to the bridge near the island, but couldn't get any takers. Headed over to Murrel point and caught allot of fish but they were in the 7-10" range. Ran into a a man that I have seen for many years out on the lake, I will call him "Mr. R". He was looking for some fish and keeping over 11" fish. We helped him with his limit "i hope" , one escaped on the transfer so he had to pick up a few more. Met a TFF'r Mr. White and we looked around Murrell some. Fishing was off today, we could catch fish but it was every now and then after 2pm. Me and Ronnie worked our way closer to the point and caught bigger fish on crankbaits earlie in the day. You can see fish in the 10-15ft range, and we caught some good fish. However, it was a little bit of work catching fish over 11" at murrell. We did catch a few on jigging spoons, but a majority were small. "Mr.R", and "Mr. White" caught a good catfish on a spoon which is cool. About 5'ish I side scanned the whole point at murrell and it was pretty quite. Moved east and we caught a few big oned on a crankbait. Fish/bait are out in deep water but couldn't get them to cooperate. Was a beautiful day, and a nice sunset. We ran down to the main point for the last 20 minutes of sun at Meadomere and I caught about 5 fish before we called it. Was a great day with an old Buddy, and yes He got the big fish today.. Was a blessed day out on the water.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Was great finally meeting you! Had a blast although most of the sanders we caught were small. Did get a few keepers for a fry. The big catfish was quite a surprise! It is the largest that I have ever gotten into the boat.... Nice to see the others out there also, I'm sure we be running to each other again!

1999 Triton TX21/225 Mercury Optimax
Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: bronco71] #13967195 04/20/21 06:41 PM
J
Angler
Online Content
Angler
J
I guess I missed the party. I almost hooked up and went yesterday evening, but I got lazy after I got home from work.

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #13967927 04/21/21 04:07 AM
P
Angler
OP Online Content
Angler
P
Unexpected surprise today, after I got my rat killing done I got a kitchen pass to go fishing. Was not expecting much at all with the high winds, but I got lucky.. Launched about 2pm at Meadomere, cruised straight across the lake to the mouth of twin coves. Wind coming out of the NW and the south side was rough. Some birds working at the west side of the twin coves entrance area, worked what I could with the wind and picked up some fish on a crankbait, jig, and a spoon. The biggest fish are coming off a 3xd crankbait. Not as many but good keepers. Fished there for a while then headed down and looked around on the north side of the lake. Nothing picked up down near meadomere, or down from there. Came back up to a point that had a few birds working the shoreline. Side scanned the point and it had a big rock pile on the point out in 11ft of water. Started throwing a crankbait on the rocks and it was really fun. 6lb test and a 3xd digs, once I was bumping I could slow down and they would crush it. Wasn't expecting to have any fun with the crazy wind, but I did. I will revisit this point and see what it has to offer. Definitely a rough day and not the best of conditions, but I wanted to take advantage of my last day off. Sitting at the back of the boat and using the ipilot remote is really the way to go in high winds.. No rollers over the bow today.. Take care all..

Lake is stained from the high winds, pretty much all the lake I saw had mud lines..

Twin coves area
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Protected point with a real nice piece of structure out on it. Holding fish..
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #13969123 04/21/21 11:41 PM
M
MilesHunter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Hey Brent, it was good to meet you out on the lake. My wife and I were taking out my cousin and her boyfriend who just moved to Grapevine. I plan on fishing Grapevine a little more often now that they are close. We caught a couple of larger sandbass and a smallmouth bass right before sunset.

Miles
Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #13969159 04/22/21 12:22 AM
P
Angler
OP Online Content
Angler
P
Late afternoon bite is real good, before sunset you can be a hero or zero depending on the point you fish. Depending on the wind, and where the shad go. If you see any birds close to a point, or an area focus on a point at sunset for some of those nice ones.. Thx for the info, and was nice to meet you as well. Hope to see you out on the water. Will report next week on ny days off, if you go out be safe and don't hesitate to update the thread..

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #13970178 04/22/21 06:26 PM
F
fishrdude Online Content
Angler
Online Content
Angler
F
Hey prosise I got to try my DIY thumper today and it worked like a charm. I was on Lewisville and found a wind blown point. I made sure that I wasn't seeing fish on the graph or catching any either casting or vertical jigging. I turned on the speaker and the metronome and a few minutes later fish started showing up like magic! The action was nonstop. I was able to catch most of them vertical jigging not as many casting. I caught them steady for about an hour then I turned the speaker off. Catching slowed and then stopped in about twenty minutes. All I can say is I am now a believer and thanks for all the tips!

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #13970203 04/22/21 06:42 PM
P
Angler
OP Online Content
Angler
P
I really appreciate the feedback, and I look forward to more verifications. I am always looking for ways to same money, and I already had a bluetooth speaker. So with a little bit of curiosity I tried it. I remember some discussions back last year about this, and it was interesting. Anything that I can do to help catch fish is a no brainer if you ask me. For the record, when I crossed paths with Mr. White last week he had the real deal thumper and it was "Loud".. I was amazed at the sound it could produce. So this is a compromise to the real thing. I am pleased with the redneck version, and I have tried it in areas with fish and without. If there are not that many fish in the area, you will not see much change. But if they are in the area, you will see some activity on the graph. I did try it in some deeper water that had some activity, but whatever was down there did not want to cooperate. Only thing I have not done is to vary the frequency, or change the sound. Just left well enough alone. I tried to look online to see what is behind the sound that brings in the fish, but I didn't see anything that was solid. Keep it up, and if you don't mind let me know what type of speaker you used.

Thanks Again

Prosise

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #13970427 04/22/21 11:44 PM
F
fishrdude Online Content
Angler
Online Content
Angler
F
The speaker is one called AOMAIS. I got it on amazon for $50.00. It is flat front with good bass and I actually put in the bilge of the boat so nothing blocks the sound. I would call it medium loud and if it was any louder I probably would't use it. I have always been interested it the thumping post but I didn't want to add something else to haul on the boat and I didn't like the noise. This setup seems to be the best of both worlds for me. If it works some of the time without being abrasive that is great. On the days it doesn't work I can listen to music. I am in no way putting down "real" thumpers of the folks that use them but this systems is perfect for my needs. Thanks again for the idea.

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #13970436 04/22/21 11:51 PM
G
Grapvine Homer Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
G
The sand bass were on fire the past 2 days . We fished the murrell park area . Birds were up and kept us on fish most of the day wends. Things really heated up today . Casting a small jig was our choice of presentation . I think water temp and the next front coming tomorrow were some of the reasons. Water temp was at 60 degrees a drop of 5 from my last fishing trip.

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #13970810 04/23/21 12:01 PM
T
T- Gil Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Back before the days of the broomstick vs floor of boat, on Texocean, I'd see guides swishing a rod in the water, making a figure 8. I thought that was the strangest thing! Brent, was it you that posted something last year about playing ACDC (or some other band) and catching more fish?

[Linked Image]

TEAM HUMDINGER

1st teach a child to love God, teach him second to love Family, 3rd teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. CC

"Una Stamus"
Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #13970813 04/23/21 12:03 PM
C
Captain Yakker Offline
Angler
Angler
C
I like the Bluetooth/metronome app idea. In my kayak, I started carrying a rubber mallet and manually thumping the side of the hull. It has worked very well for me. I already have a waterproof Bluetooth speaker so I am going to try that idea out. Thanks for the tips!

Also wanted to add, that after years of fishing schooling Sandies, I too have learned that the bigger fish are below the surface action. Makes sense when you think about it. Bigger, older fish are too lazy to chase shad like them, “youngins”, so they hang out and wait for the droppings to fall below the surface. I like to throw a heavy slab so that it sinks below the main school pretty fast.

Fishin' to stock Lake Crisco.
Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #13970871 04/23/21 12:57 PM
P
Angler
OP Online Content
Angler
P
The rod in the water works for sure, seen a few guides do it. I have done it when the going got tough as well. Anything to get the fish excited and on the hook. As for the ACDC question, wasn't me but I think they like Thunderstruck. Like I mentioned a couple weeks ago, I was catching more fish when I was listening to music. This is the reason I tried the sound generator.
Man, It has been beautiful weather lately. Really hard to concentrate with work knowing the conditions.. Wind was dead calm on Wednesday, me and my wife were heading to the movies. I mentioned the wind, and she said "Just take me home.. Your thinking about fishing".. She said it with a smile, and I wasn't going to take her home. Anniversary dinner and double feature movie. First time since this whole crazy Covid thing started, and I wasn't going to skip this with her. She is so awesome, and I am so lucky. Will be out Sunday, and into the week. With all the crazy Wake boats I just might go up the creek on Sunday. Take care all and be careful out...

Prosise

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #13970886 04/23/21 01:07 PM
C
Chiprat Offline
Angler
Angler
C
[Linked Image]
Had a Good day on LL as well, with the Sandies Loaded up. The Thumper worked out great.

Lowe 17V Tournament 1990 Evinrude 120 V4
MinnKotta Ulterra 24V 60"
Garmin LIVE SCOPE...Yes you can hate me

1973 14ft Jon Boat V hull 5hp
1996 Mariah Talari 23.5 Fun Boat, and Striper boat at Texoma
Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #13973725 04/26/21 01:50 AM
P
Angler
OP Online Content
Angler
P
Launched canoe at the Trophy Club ramp, creek was stained so i headed down. Fished for bass until about 2pm, from Meadomere i scooted over to the Grapevine lake point area, then eased back to a windy point towards the back of the creek. Wind was blowing into the point and real nice fish were stacked up in the shallow water. Fished this until about 630, then moved out to the rock pile that I referenced last week. Big fish on the crankbait, bumping the top of the hump. Non-stop fun over in this area. Crankbait caught good fish, but wind was tough in the canoe. Waiting for the truck at meadomere as i type. Moon is awesome.. Prob caught 70 over 12 fish in that little spot in the back.

Going with big boat tomorrow.. Did well with my anchor, and wake boats out in full force today. Yep, i was the crazy guy crossing the lake in a canoe. Bass fishing is on fire for big fish.. Forgot Bodycam, and really screwed up leaving it at home. Caught the same fish twice and got off. Saw her head shake both times. All I am going to say is She was beautiful and big. But it's all a fishing story at this time Maybe tomorrow..

Met a couple people, was nice to meet you Mr Cobb, and I got a kid and his dad fishing with their trolling motor. He lost voltage, just had to backtrack the wires..

Fished here
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by prosise; 04/26/21 02:00 AM.
Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #13974101 04/26/21 01:42 PM
P
Angler
OP Online Content
Angler
P
Forgot something. I did catch three small crappie up in this creek, just under 10. doodle socked a single jig by a tree on the south bank, see picture below. To get into this area, you have to cross some very shallow water in the back of the main cove. It is probably too shallow to get a big boat up into. The pair of fishermen I helped repair the trolling motor were in an aluminum boat, and were able to get up there. I went all the way back into the creek until I ran into a tree over the water, it really looks fishy but I only caught the crappie at the mouth. There is a walking trail by the water towards the middle, so there is access without a boat. First time up there, and it is really nice area. I am not a crappie fisherman, and one day I will focus on them. I basically bump into them occasionally.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Side note on sandbass. Been tinkering with alternate baits and lures with rattles are picking up the bigger fish, bumping the bottom is also a big key. The spoon (vertically jigging) caught small fish and I do not think I caught a fish over 10" yesterday on the small jigging spoon. The 3XD was diving too deep, so I had to reel very slow. I forgot my bodycam so I didn't get much video. I tried to use my cell phone, and was not very good at getting some video.
I only saw one person with his head screwed on yesterday, "Thank you" to the Nitro boat going into Twin Coves. He was the only courteous boat I saw yesterday. I have about a dozen wake boats come within 30 yards from me when i was fishing, and I just shook my head. I was almost able to hit three with the crankbait. Most valuable tool used yesterday was the Large sponge for water in the canoe.

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #13974245 04/26/21 03:31 PM
J
Angler
Online Content
Angler
J
Great report! Yeah, the wake board boats pretty much are lawless. I wish the game warden would show up every now and then.

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #13974880 04/26/21 11:01 PM
F
fishin'aholic2 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
F
Those boats are like that every weekend on Gvine. Big reason I fish early or on the weekdays.

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #13976741 04/28/21 03:54 AM
P
Angler
OP Online Content
Angler
P
Launched at Meadomere @ lunchtime. Wind pretty bad, couldn't fish my big bass spot so I fished main lake points for some bass. About 5'ish took a break and went looking for some sandbass. Went straight to the point that I have been catching fish at, no bait seen and only caught one about 4 inches long. Other item I caught was a ball of fishing line, I worked and retrieved my crankbait. Wind was pretty nasty, looked around Twin Coves main points but not much there. Did not see any birds working, and the wind was too bad to check Murrell point. Caught 3 sandbass fishing for bass with the 3XD, but I was forced to fish protected points. Bonus: Was lucky enough to catch a big flathead with a crankbait, 26.9 pounds on 12lb flouro and was very exciting. Did not see any birds, and I do not have any info concerning the sandbass. Going out tomorrow, hopefully will get some info. Will need to look for birds working, since there was no bait in the area I have been catching fish it makes sense. Tough day and the wind blew like crazy. Take care all.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #13977390 04/28/21 04:56 PM
P
Angler
OP Online Content
Angler
P
Just got here, sandbasss working east point at meadomere. Will uodate as I go. 12pm noon.
[Linked Image]

1235pm murrell park main point close to shore. Birds working large school. Fish not out on the end of the point
[Linked Image]

Just locate birds that are dive bombing, that is shad being pushed up by the sandbass. All the fish I caught on the bottom with a jigging spoon were small, the bigger fish came on a lipless crankbait, or a crankbait up off the bottom. I scouted early and then focused on rock piles for bass, and it was a good day.
Wicked weather today.. Sandbass are on the move, follow the bait and you are on fish. Had a couple of really nice bass today. Caught a 20lb drum, big gaspergoo, and many sandbass on the 3xd. The Gaspergoo felt like a mega smallmouth.. I wore a crankbait out, started running in circles, that is a good day.. I bass fished and caught sandbass pretty much 1 every 30 minutes working rock piles.
Got home and had mega hail from the storm.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by prosise; 04/29/21 02:13 AM.
Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #13977432 04/28/21 05:27 PM
D
Davedave Online Content
Bigfoot Seeker
Online Content
Bigfoot Seeker
D
Originally Posted by prosise
Launched canoe at the Trophy Club ramp, creek was stained so i headed down. Fished for bass until about 2pm, from Meadomere i scooted over to the Grapevine lake point area, then eased back to a windy point towards the back of the creek. Wind was blowing into the point and real nice fish were stacked up in the shallow water. Fished this until about 630, then moved out to the rock pile that I referenced last week. Big fish on the crankbait, bumping the top of the hump. Non-stop fun over in this area. Crankbait caught good fish, but wind was tough in the canoe. Waiting for the truck at meadomere as i type. Moon is awesome.. Prob caught 70 over 12 fish in that little spot in the back.

Going with big boat tomorrow.. Did well with my anchor, and wake boats out in full force today. Yep, i was the crazy guy crossing the lake in a canoe. Bass fishing is on fire for big fish.. Forgot Bodycam, and really screwed up leaving it at home. Caught the same fish twice and got off. Saw her head shake both times. All I am going to say is She was beautiful and big. But it's all a fishing story at this time Maybe tomorrow..

Met a couple people, was nice to meet you Mr Cobb, and I got a kid and his dad fishing with their trolling motor. He lost voltage, just had to backtrack the wires..

Fished here
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Nice to meet you as well sir.

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #13981624 05/01/21 01:45 PM
P
Angler
OP Online Content
Angler
P
Fishing Buddy fished yesterday, and the lake is up over 2ft. Stained to say the least.. No report, will go out and look around tomorrow, maybe we will try for a big blue up near the mouth of the creek.

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #13983244 05/03/21 03:15 AM
P
Angler
OP Online Content
Angler
P
Lakes up just under 3 feet, surprisingly the mid lake water is really clear. Fished mid lake for the morning for bass, and then met up with a Tff'r and gave him the low down on some electronic overview. Went all the way up to the upper end just looking around and really nothing going on. Did not see any birds working until about 3pm around Meadomere. You have to hang around the area where you see birds The fish are pushing the shad up, and the birds are working the shad at the surface. The school I worked at Meadomere was not that big, and moved fast. The larger fish were picked up in the action, and the smaller fish were on the bottom. Ran into a guy who was having to drift, we will call him "Randy Travis". Helped him get his limit, and tied his boat to the back of mine so he could stay on the fish... Tough day for bass, you really have to work and with the water up almost 3 feet. There is miles of cover in the water for them..

Take care all and God Bless..

Prosise

Last edited by prosise; 05/03/21 12:47 PM.
Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #13983551 05/03/21 02:20 PM
Dustin M Online Content
Outdoorsman
Online Content
Outdoorsman
I was out with my son on 5/1 and only caught 3 small sand bass from 8am to 1pm. Was nice day other than that. I'm think we might try to get on the water about 5 today, any tips on where they might be for the evening? We have been staying around murrell, meadowmere and dove but haven't had much luck.

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #13983620 05/03/21 02:52 PM
rkd Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
We made a couple of drifts yesterday (Sunday) off the Murrell point. This was about 2pm and there were several boats fishing out on the deeper drop off of the point. The gulls/terns were scouting but not diving. Didn't see anyone catch a fish and within about an hour, all of the boats had dispersed. We ended up catching 2-3 VERY small sandbass reeling a slab up through the water column. Water was a nice green color at midlake. We did make a drift over the shallower part of Murrell point but no fish there either. (or at least they weren't biting)

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: Dustin M] #13983706 05/03/21 04:02 PM
P
Angler
OP Online Content
Angler
P
Originally Posted by Dustin M
I was out with my son on 5/1 and only caught 3 small sand bass from 8am to 1pm. Was nice day other than that. I'm think we might try to get on the water about 5 today, any tips on where they might be for the evening? We have been staying around murrell, meadowmere and dove but haven't had much luck.

I will be out until dark today, with the water up the gizzard shad are up in the buck brush. Before the rain there wasn't much cover for the bait to hide in. Now they have so much cover to try and hide in. Still tons of bait out in the lake, but it has changed a little. I first look for an area where there are birds working, or sitting. Cranes in the windy bank, are waiting for the easy snatch.. These keys are something to look for and start here. I did better casting a spoon and working it back in the 0-10ft range for the better fish, smaller were on the bottom. If you see my brown/tan boat cone by. Ease up and wave like you know me and i will give you a thumbs up or down. Will be bass fishing until about 3, then transitioning into sandbass. Will prob be around meadomere, was suprised to see the fish on the protected side yesterday. Wilnd will be blowing more, so will be looking around. I am waering a green long sleeve shirt..

We will try and get you guys on fish.. I did catch some better fish on a crankbait, but it is harder to throw very far.

Leaving for ramp now..

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #13983735 05/03/21 04:28 PM
Dustin M Online Content
Outdoorsman
Online Content
Outdoorsman
Thanks for the offer. If we get out we will find you at some point.

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #13984191 05/03/21 09:20 PM
Dustin M Online Content
Outdoorsman
Online Content
Outdoorsman
Not going to make it out today due to potential storms. Will try again tomorrow.

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #13984426 05/04/21 12:34 AM
P
Angler
OP Online Content
Angler
P
Got my butt kicked today... Which was great... Ran into a friend i work with coming out of Academy @ 10am, told him to let me know if he wanted to go out. Launched at 11:00 and he met me shortly after, went right out of Meadomere and cruised down the south bank. We went past the island, then headed to Rock ledge and rounded to Murrell Point. Birds were working out off the drop, and we stayed close to them until we had a limit of good fish. Went and dropped the fish off with his wife, and headed back out and picked up 17 more. Good fish kept, in the 11-13.75" range. Storms started to brew so we left about 6:30. Great day out with a good man, who caught some good fish. I told him it was a real treat and I have no problems when my fishing partner does all the heavy work.. Had one bump in the road, a older man in a white boat with a blue top kept driving thru the school of fish trying to troll. I really have a hard time being disrespectful, but I can only go so far. I even offered him the option to tie up to my boat, but he mumbled something and kept driving around.. I did finally get his attention, and he eventually moved on. Please, if you are working birds or fish on the surface you should not be driving thru them in your boat. It was a pleasure boat with no trolling motor. We caught fish non-stop while the village Idiot was doing this.. The better fish were close to the point, and I mean close. I was casting 20ft from the edge of the water with my bait.. Out in deeper water we were casting the med size spoon, and allowing it to fall down to the 10-15 ft range to pick up fish.. Thanks Mike, was a real fun time.. Today, you don't need any electronics. A anchor would be helpful if you did not want to work the trolling motor. The med size cordell spoon (with smaller hooks) was the best today. Setup Mike with the spoon, and one of my frontrunner rigs. Worked well, and he did great picking up some good fish.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #13986163 05/05/21 02:36 AM
P
Angler
OP Online Content
Angler
P
Launched at noon and went on the hunt for the Green fish.. Fishing is real good for Bass, and it was a very fun day.. I went up the lake and birds were working out near Meadomere and I was able to pick up some numbers, eased up closer to the point where the birds were not working and picked up some really nice fish. If you are in an area that is within 75 yards of a point, or land ease up and see if you can pick up any fish closer to the bank. Been catching the bigger fish near the bank lately. Then went scouting for a friend and ran into sandbass at Dove boat ramp. Non-stop fun and they were good fish as well.. If you are going to go out, look around for birds working. If you do not see any working an area just look around, they will show you the area that is active. Ran solo today, and got some really good fish in the boat today.. Lost a couple of my new favorite lures, which I will have to pick up this week.. Take care all.. Adding some footage from Dove, you can see the boat parking in the background.

Last edited by prosise; 05/05/21 10:30 AM.
Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #13986266 05/05/21 09:09 AM
M
Marlin Rando Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
M
hey brent this is Randy, just wanted to thank you again for allowing me to tie up to you on Sunday. had a blast in the short time i was out there. I definitely have a lot to learn, but I'm really having fun in the process. Discovered my trim tab is broken when i trailered the boat. Ordered one up and will add it to the list including getting trolling motor mounted. Im glad i met you and you told me about this forum. Your posts have a lot of value, very informative. Fish on, and hope to fish near you again.

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: Marlin Rando] #13986289 05/05/21 10:25 AM
P
Angler
OP Online Content
Angler
P
Originally Posted by Marlin Rando
hey brent this is Randy, just wanted to thank you again for allowing me to tie up to you on Sunday. had a blast in the short time i was out there. I definitely have a lot to learn, but I'm really having fun in the process. Discovered my trim tab is broken when i trailered the boat. Ordered one up and will add it to the list including getting trolling motor mounted. Im glad i met you and you told me about this forum. Your posts have a lot of value, very informative. Fish on, and hope to fish near you again.

Thank you Randy, much appreciated.. Never mind helping others get on the fish. Get that Trolling motor setup back on rhe boat, and if you need help with anything let me know.. Was fun, and I enjoyed the company..

Hope the thumb is better....

Prosise

Last edited by prosise; 05/05/21 11:51 AM.
Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #13986761 05/05/21 05:27 PM
G
Gubius Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
G
Sandies were schooled up on the shoreline at Grapevine this morning from about a foot off to 30 ft from shore, shad everywhere. Caught and released 50 between 6:20 and 8:30a. Blue Fox #3 silver spinner basically (I make my own). The clear sky drove them out deeper after that.

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #13988154 05/06/21 05:02 PM
A
ArlingtonTroy Online Content
Outdoorsman
Online Content
Outdoorsman
A
Launched last night (5/5/21) from Katie Woods and fished the lake from Meadowmere to the dam from about 6pm to 8pm. Never found any birds really working, just an occasional one here or there. We caught 1 dink and 1 keeper just off the Meadowmere point with the thumper going. We had several large schools pass underneath us but couldn't get a bite on the slabs or humdingers. After giving up on that spot we headed to Murrell and fished there and caught two dinks as well. Finally, just before dusk headed over to sandbass point and found a lot of fish but couldn't get a bite here either.

That's how fishing goes, last week we hammered them and this week couldn't get bit.

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: ArlingtonTroy] #13988221 05/06/21 05:53 PM
P
Angler
OP Online Content
Angler
P
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTroy
Launched last night (5/5/21) from Katie Woods and fished the lake from Meadowmere to the dam from about 6pm to 8pm. Never found any birds really working, just an occasional one here or there. We caught 1 dink and 1 keeper just off the Meadowmere point with the thumper going. We had several large schools pass underneath us but couldn't get a bite on the slabs or humdingers. After giving up on that spot we headed to Murrell and fished there and caught two dinks as well. Finally, just before dusk headed over to sandbass point and found a lot of fish but couldn't get a bite here either.

That's how fishing goes, last week we hammered them and this week couldn't get bit.

One thing I noticed last week, but this could change day to day. The birds did not show up until about 2pm last sunday. I almost thought the storms gave them a lift elsewhere, but they showed up.. If you go looking around, just cruise down one bank out far enough that you can all the way back to the secondary points. I found them all the way back in meadomere by the boat ramp on Monday. But if you do not see birds, keep looking. The shad are on the run, so you may have to keep moving with them. I have also been running into fish up the lake on the north shore by the high end homes by the steep rocks. Very important, if you just don't see birds and it is dead calm or very light wind you might look for the white cranes on the windy side points. They are there for a reason. I am no expert, and I do not know if the shad have spawned. I hope they haven't because now we have so much brush in the water it will really help us in the long run. Yesterday was a bird blue light wind day, which is the toughest of conditions. The evening bite right at sunset has been really really good if you can fins some birds working. If you do not see birds, you may have to get up close and personal with some of the windy points, and coves where the shad can get corralled. Then look for the shad jumping out of the water. When things get quiet I will focus on these areas and work right up on the drop. The 24-27ft range above the big drop down to 33-40ft.. And I mean right on the drop, where the front of the boat is on the top and the back is on the drop. Murrell back by the mouth of the cove (towards the HOA marina) has been good when the wind is out of the south. I have been trying not to get localitis and just go to certain areas, so I will occasionally go off the beaten path and check some humps up near the Rock crusher. Between the Rock crusher and the north shore are some humps which are holding fish, but they are tougher to catch now. I know for a fact the bigger girls are on the move and are working hard at sunset on shad near the banks and points. We have been repeating this over and over in the last month..
If you get to an area, and not doing very good in about 20 minutes move on and scout. Some areas I fished last week had some fish in the area, but the redneck thumper did nothing to get them excited. Just picked up and started looking.. If you can look for bait, it is a start. I always favor the windy bank, but you never know what the bait will be doing. It is all up to them..

I found a 3/8 oz mean eye blade bait from basspro, wore that thing out the last few weeks. Then, I broke off on tuesday.. Only a dozen left at basspro and they were in dark colors. I picked up some white and bright yellow enamel paint from Joanne fabrics and doctored them up real good. I Tie this to 20lb fluor about 16 inches long, then to a swivel. Connecting this to 6lb braid I can cast it more than twice as far as most people can cast. So i picked up the last 11 they had and will finish them up tonight. They get down fast, and cast very well.. These are my go scouting lure to cover water.
[Linked Image]

Something interesting: I was working a spinnerbait down the east side of meadomere towards the swim area. About halfway in I catch a good sandbass on a "Big" spinnerbait. There is so much cover for the shad, so you never know where you will find them. Never did any good on that long stretch, but had to do some burn and turn on some sample spots to get a feel for the Bass..

When the going gets tough, this is where I focus.. Sometimes you will see fish, but getting them to bite is another thing.. These are areas where I will get a spoon out (med size cordell with #6 sharp hook) and work the fish I see on the sonar. Typically up on the top of the drop, or just below to see if they will bite.. Some areas are saturated with Buffalo/carp/gar, and you will see lots of fish but no takers. The areas below are what I like in the last few months. Not to rule out Twin coves, but I get hung up there allot. The fish we are picking up lately are the ones floating about 10-15 ft off the bottom. These are the active ones, but banging them on the head is not a bad trick.. Will be out sunday morning rain, sleet, or snow.. Work calls..

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by prosise; 05/06/21 06:55 PM.
Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #13988426 05/06/21 08:35 PM
J
Angler
Online Content
Angler
J
That's a real shallow area normally by Dove Loop Ramp. Good to know.
I should be out there today around 5 pm looking for sandies myself.

Thursday report was spotty. You could catch 3 or 4 and then they were gone. Caught a few at Meadowmear, the Island and close to the Dove loop ramp. Tried other usual spot but never had a bite at those. No bird action at all on the lake that I could see.

Last edited by JWC Nauticstar; 05/07/21 12:37 PM. Reason: update
Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #13991207 05/09/21 09:59 PM
P
Angler
OP Online Content
Angler
P
Launched at 5:00 and picked up some good fish before the sun came up (green fish). When the sun started to come up I noticed shad on the bank, appeared to be jumping out of the water. Saw this for several hours, there was some light sprinkle moving in and it was semi-dark for a bit. Caught some of this on my cell, and will add below. Shad spawn is on, I saw this at the mouth of twin coves, ramp at twin coves, meadomere, and two other major points on the non-windy side of the lake. Everywhere I bass fished I caught sandbass, some on a big spinnerbait. Did not stay out all day, hanging out with the gang and doing some chores.. Villiage idiot was set free from somewhere, got some video of a guy that has absolutely no clue whatsoever. He really didn't know what he did, so I just called him a bleeping Idiot and kept fishing. The back of the boat appeared to be 4 women all head down. Focused on mudlines, and caught some dink bass with sandbass. Good bass were all before sunrise within about 40 minutes. Fish are eating like there is no tomorrow, fat bellies seen on bass and sandies.. Sandbass are everywhere, the small island on the right as you go into twin coves is saturated with small sandies. They corralled some shad and worked them for hours. Any major point with a semi mudline had sand bass up close to the bank in the early morning. I left at 1pm, the wind changed and was coming out of the NW, the mudline off the tip of meadomere was long and towards the swim area. Pretty good ones caught with a 3xd working the edge real fast. Did not go down, or see any birds. Only saw cranes on the points.. Hope all are well, and have a great day..

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I keep catching these really small sandbass and wonder how they get all 3 hooks..
[Linked Image]

SHAD SPAWN
This was taken near the Parasail dock west of meadomere point.

Village idiot: caution fowl language

I stop way out on a point, a wakeboat coming from my right slows down and is curteous. Then from behind me comes the guy with no common sense, I have no clue how to describe this.

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #13992547 05/11/21 12:46 AM
P
Angler
OP Online Content
Angler
P
Launched at Dove at 11am, went out to battle the green fish. Long story short, if you want to catch some sandies just go bass fishing. I did not fish for Sandies at all today, they just were in the area I was fishing. Caught the sandbass at every major point I fished, using a crankbait and occasionally a spinnerbait. Fished major points, and secondary points and covered allot of water from dove down. Last spot I fished was at Meadomere and it was thick with smaller fish. Just doing some testing of areas with shallow, mid, and 10-15ft baits for the green fish.. Slight pattern found which was repeated on two other main points with the right variables. Was listening to music and the sandbass would attack my area. Every time I looked down and it was peppered on the 360 I just had to move. They just wouldn't leave me alone. Caught some real nice sandbass down close to the Dam, but it was one every 5-10 minutes. Big ones too.. Left around 5 to beat the storms, and was a good day out. Looks like the rain is going to hit tomorrow, so will be home doing some rat killin. Take care all & God Bless. BTW: If anyone is in a kayak/canoe/boat and do not have a depth finder IM me.. I have a depth finder for someone who is trying to make ends meet and still get out there and fish. Have a small Garmin Stryker depth finder which I used for a couple years on the front of the boat. Works well and would like to gift it to someone who needs it, not who wants it.

Picture of an area with no sandies near.
[Linked Image]

When you are being attacked from the side by them
[Linked Image]

When you have been overrun by them. I was fishing a rock pile on a major point when I was attacked
[Linked Image]

Funny when you don't have to cast to catch them.. The upper end is slightly stained from the high winds. I was on the tip of meadomere and the small sandbass attacked me.

Last edited by prosise; 05/11/21 01:05 AM.
Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #13995775 Yesterday at 10:37 AM
P
Angler
OP Online Content
Angler
P
Fished all day yesterday for the Green fish. Shad spawn is over, and things are settling down. I fished from Meadomere down to the Dam from 4:30am to 8pm, was a long day but I enjoyed it. I did not see any birds working in any of the areas I fished, and I looked around most of the points. The points, and secondary points that had wind blowing right into them, had fish up close to the banks looking for shad. Carp are spawning, and real close to the banks working. I snagged a couple which was fun for the few seconds it lasted. I also hooked a big catfish on a spinnerbait, was on a windy rocky bank. It gave me a whipping, wasn't ready for that much horsepower. The water is slowly going back down, so the small bushes will be out of the water in about a week. When this happens, the shad that are up shallow will have no place to hide. I ran across several schools of small sandbass up in the 20ft range, at the mount of coves. One was in Dove right before I pulled out, but it was moving fast looking for bait. It is time to work the depth finder off the main drops like Murrell point, meadomere, etc. The lake is two-toned right now, the upper is lightly stained and the lower is pretty green and relatively clear. I am pretty sure the shad are up in the stained upper half If I am a guessing. I did better on bass in the upper half with a crankbait, and the lower half with a spinnerbait for the green fish. Sorry for not much info, but will get out on Sunday and scout out the sandies.. Take care all, and God Bless.. Bass fishing is good, you really have to slow down your bait (and I mean really slow). Once I did this, things picked up for me..

Additional info: Gravel/rock points on the south side of the lake that have the clay along the waterline. These areas are holding some good sandbass in the mud lines. Main points in the wind that are within 50-60 yards from the drop to deep water are holding both sandies and small bass.. morning bite before sunup was slow, think the lack of moon. At about 5:45 as it started to get semi-light things started to turn on. I have been working some top water to see if I can get some takers, but it's too early. Water cooled down to 68'ish, from 75 and up before the last big rain. Won't be long, and I cannot wait.. Will add some more info later this morning that will help you understand Grapevine lake, found a video that really will open your eyes about GV..

UPDATE >>> GOOD INFO

Super cool item I found and really will help you catch fish on any lake in the US. You can take any lake, and go back in time to see the lake when it was low. Google Earth Pro has a feature to view historical pictures. You will be suprised at what you see below the first 15 ft of water on Grapevine Lake. Now, I will say that I would not recommend anything concerning the waypoint transfer. You can do this at your own risk.. I do not need this feature, I just need screenshots to get me close. There is so little structure on Grapevine, that is why one Christmas tree planted becomes a gold mine. I have planted about 12 trees, and some hold fish others will at a certain time of the year. But these little items, can really help. Now, I know you might not think this will help you with sandbass but it will.

Go back to 2014 and prepare to be amazed..
Here is an example.. Dove ramp when the lake was about 15 ft low...
[Linked Image]

Prosise

Last edited by prosise; Yesterday at 01:29 PM.
Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #13997467 8 hours ago
B
Budlitego Offline
Angler
Angler
B
Thank you for all the information you have posted. I hope to run across you at the lake soon!

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #13997850 2 hours ago
F
FishTran Online Content
Green Horn
Online Content
Green Horn
F
Brent, I talked to you on Wednesday. I was in the Bass Tracker. I think I fished with you before. Back in 2019, I was fishing Denton Creek on the banks and you were nice enough to take me up the creek on your canoe. That was a great day of fishing. Nice to meet you again. The information you provide on this thread is awesome; very helpful. The birds were out in force Thursday afternoon. We caught a whole mess of big ones. My name is Alex, btw.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2019 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide