Print Thread
Title and Registration in Tx #13951394 04/07/21 07:58 PM
K
kmayfield Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
K
I have bought a third hand Champion Boat from Ok. They don't require trailers to get plates there. How do I go about getting my trailer registered and licensed in Texas without any paperwork? What is my first step on getting boat titled and registered in Tx as well? I do have a OK title to the boat.

Last edited by kmayfield; 04/07/21 07:59 PM.
Re: Title and Registration in Tx [Re: kmayfield] #13951499 04/07/21 09:33 PM
S
Stump jumper Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
LA. is also like that. I had a trailer title but it did not have weight. You will have to weigh the trailer and get it inspected. Fortunately in Rockwall they allowed me to deduct the boat and motor weight to get to the trailer weight. I have heard that some counties make people weigh trailer empty. You should have a certificate of origin from previous owner and a bill of sale. Call or go to county tax office they will give you a list of what you need. Texas requires all out of state trailers to be inspected even if they do not require an annual inspection.

2200 Bay Champ/200 Mercury Optimax
2017 Tundra TSS 4x4 Crewmax 5.7L
Re: Title and Registration in Tx [Re: kmayfield] #13951574 04/07/21 10:39 PM
I
IslandJim Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I
Lots of folks don't know that boats and motors are titled and registered by Parks & Wildlife, but trailers are titled and licensed by DMV. I just went through the trials and tribulations of licensing a homemade boat trailer that weighs 600 pounds. I had to get it weighed, get an inspection by a Deputy Sheriffand an assigned number. Because of that, they made me title the trailer.
All in all, it cost me three road trips and $143.00!. It used to be so simple. IslandJim

I'm an Eighth Day Adventist. On the Eighth Day, God went fishing!
Re: Title and Registration in Tx [Re: kmayfield] #13951680 04/08/21 12:03 AM
T
TritonRob Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
I bought a boat from Louisiana a few years back and it was total hell to get the trailer registered. Since you have the title you should be able to get it done by filling out the proper paperwork. The trailer should have the weight/capacity sticker on it to help you fill it out. I had to take a picture so I could zoom it in to see mine. You will also need to get it inspected. I called a local RV place and they did it for me. After multiple trips to the dmv and every person I talked to telling me I needed something different I finally got it done. My advice, you may have to go to different offices and talk to different people before you find someone with reasonable expectations. One guy told me I had to get the trailer weighed without the boat on it but a different office said no I just needed an inspection so I went with that one...lol. It's like nobody that works there really knows what you need so I eventually found someone that was willing to work with me and help me get it done. You'll get it registered but be prepared to get frustrated. Parks and Wildlife were easy to deal with and I had that done in minutes...

Last edited by TritonRob; 04/08/21 12:05 AM.
Re: Title and Registration in Tx [Re: TritonRob] #13953119 04/09/21 01:22 AM
S
Stump jumper Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by TritonRob
I bought a boat from Louisiana a few years back and it was total hell to get the trailer registered. Since you have the title you should be able to get it done by filling out the proper paperwork. The trailer should have the weight/capacity sticker on it to help you fill it out. I had to take a picture so I could zoom it in to see mine. You will also need to get it inspected. I called a local RV place and they did it for me. After multiple trips to the dmv and every person I talked to telling me I needed something different I finally got it done. My advice, you may have to go to different offices and talk to different people before you find someone with reasonable expectations. One guy told me I had to get the trailer weighed without the boat on it but a different office said no I just needed an inspection so I went with that one...lol. It's like nobody that works there really knows what you need so I eventually found someone that was willing to work with me and help me get it done. You'll get it registered but be prepared to get frustrated. Parks and Wildlife were easy to deal with and I had that done in minutes...

Yep, boat and motor were easy. They require a pencil tracing of the boat serial number and sometimes a FW needs to inspect it. I did pencil tracing and took pics of boat and motor serial numbers.

2200 Bay Champ/200 Mercury Optimax
2017 Tundra TSS 4x4 Crewmax 5.7L
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide