Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Recent Boat Upgrades [Re: Flippin-Out] #13950354 04/07/21 02:52 AM
fivebites Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted by Flippin-Out
I will give you an opinion, but I'm not the enforcers, so it's worth about a penny on a good day.

If the side lights are not overly bright and do not shine upward enough ...to cause loss of night vision by another boater, you probably won't run into issues with them. Workboats with decklights do use white lights, but they are usually contained within a reflector and aimed downward at the deck. They actually help illuminate the boat so that others see it even better, but without undue glare for the other boat. I haven't seen yours at night, and deciding if the brightness is "too much" is subjective. Assuming you aren't moving (or are moving very little, like just a slow drift), you should have only white light illuminated. Any red or green lighting visible outside the boat will be confused by another boat as a vessel's navigation lighting, and the long strips clearly don't meet spec for that. For when you are at rest (or nearly so) TPWD may tell you that the white lighting is acceptable - which would be from a practical viewpoint as it certainly would make you more visible and far less likely to be struck by another vessel underway. They probably won't give you an opinion over the phone - they don't do that because people try to come back at them over something if they happen to receive a citation. The best thing to do is probably ask your local game warden to view the boat and give you an opinion.

Flippin...sent you a pm

2019 Chevy Tahoe
2018 Basscat Eyra 250 Proxs
PB Wife of 32 years!
PB Largemouth 9.56 Ray Roberts
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Recent Boat Upgrades [Re: Stratos2011] #13950365 04/07/21 03:03 AM
D
Dbrit83 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
I have the same front lights on my boat, my opinion (and its just that, I am not an enforcement officer or in any position of authority) is that in most situations game wardens are happy to see lights on a boat that work. If you are in busy shipping channels etc. that would be very different as it is then a major safety issue. For the little bass tournaments and fishing that I do the only time the lights are on there are so few people on the water and we are so spread out it does not seem an issue. Yes I can get a ticket I understand that, but with the 15 - 20 boats that are on the lake at stupid o clock in the morning we wouldn't know the difference of degrees or pay any attention to it like professional captains would. Just my two cents.

Re: Recent Boat Upgrades [Re: Stratos2011] #13950366 04/07/21 03:04 AM
T
ToasterWEyes Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
[Linked Image]

I drive all over the place with this rig lit up with 6 lights 400 Watts each putting out over 50,000 lumens a piece. My nav lights are the strip type leds. I have been stopped multiple times by TPWD to check my fish barrel and have NEVER received a citation. Most wardens tell me to keep up the good work and some have even said have you tried a certain area.....

That said I stay clear of residential areas and busy boat lanes with the big light spread on.

It's only a good cast if you catch a fish...
Personal Best: 11.62 lbs
Re: Recent Boat Upgrades [Re: Stratos2011] #13950379 04/07/21 03:14 AM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
I can certainly believe what you say. Though I'm sure you can make some water look like a football field, the reflectors are aimed downward, which does a lot to help not blind others. I've also found freshwater enforcement by game wardens to be a lot less stringent than the coastie guys. For the USCG, boat-related enforcement is all they do, and they tend to get to be quite the sticklers for the rules. Some of them could be downright @icks....that rhymes with "sticks".

Re: Recent Boat Upgrades [Re: Stratos2011] #13950380 04/07/21 03:19 AM
T
ToasterWEyes Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Yes sir, we went down fishing for reds and trout out of Port O (Xpress bass boat, not the bow fishing rig) and got educated real quick on the difference between the Coast Guard and TPWD!!

Re: Recent Boat Upgrades [Re: ToasterWEyes] #13950386 04/07/21 03:30 AM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Originally Posted by ToasterWEyes
Yes sir, we went down fishing for reds and trout out of Port O (Xpress bass boat, not the bow fishing rig) and got educated real quick on the difference between the Coast Guard and TPWD!!

It's a real eye opener for sure!

One day when I was up at full speed on the workboat, they pulled up close into my draft, then announced over the PA "Put your boat in neutral". They were way closer than they had to be, and had I not seen them out of the corner of my eye, that would have scared the carp out of me. I did as they said, but the boat was shallow-draft and would coast quite a ways for it's size. He didn't say "STOP" because if he did, and I did (with reverse screws to come to a halt), he would have run into my stern! They got REALLY ticked at me as they thought I had ignored them, when I had actually done exactly as they requested. Once 4 of them boarded, I got a dress down, at which time I explained the characteristics of the boat. He was still mad, and they tossed the entire boat, personal berths and all. They can do that as they're also charged with doing drug interdiction as well. Of course they found nothing and eventually had to leave without leaving a mark on us. My former CG buddy stayed quiet, but after they left he was rolling...said "you handled that perfectly, you humiliated them without showing any weakness or cowering, which they really hate." I wasn't afraid of them after that.

Re: Recent Boat Upgrades [Re: Stratos2011] #13950389 04/07/21 03:36 AM
S
Stratos2011 Online Content OP
Angler
OP Online Content
Angler
S
I’m thinking that if I use common since I shouldn’t have any issues. The head light I will never use while running. I will only use while idling stump fields. That’s the only reason I built it. Even then I will turn off if another boat is close. The red and green I have to believe a warden won’t mess with me on. The side strip light I did for fishing purpose only. Not in use while running. I have to believe that’s legal.

Re: Recent Boat Upgrades [Re: Stratos2011] #13950396 04/07/21 03:45 AM
D
Dbrit83 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
Originally Posted by Stratos2011
I’m thinking that if I use common since I shouldn’t have any issues. The head light I will never use while running. I will only use while idling stump fields. That’s the only reason I built it. Even then I will turn off if another boat is close. The red and green I have to believe a warden won’t mess with me on. The side strip light I did for fishing purpose only. Not in use while running. I have to believe that’s legal.

I'm using the same logic, I have been working through the same upgrades with the exception of the stump lights, that is now on my list, but I will be sensible about when extra lights are used and don't feel that I will have to many issues with that.

Re: Recent Boat Upgrades [Re: Stratos2011] #13950967 04/07/21 03:59 PM
T
ToasterWEyes Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T

That’s always been my approach.

Re: Recent Boat Upgrades [Re: Stratos2011] #13951078 04/07/21 05:01 PM
A
avid_basser Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
A
If you think this boat has too much lighting...you should see this boat that fishing the local THSBA North Division. This boat is lit up like a Las Vegas Hotel. It has green strips from tip to tip, spot light, and interior LED's. They seem to all run at the same time and make the craziest light hue on the water.

I had to leave a pocket one time as waited for lines in and was blinded by these damned things.

Thought hard about reporting it, but just couldn't see the benefit in it.

Re: Recent Boat Upgrades [Re: Stratos2011] #13951103 04/07/21 05:15 PM
SAKS Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler

Where common sense can take you far in life, some laws and common sense do not go hand in hand and actually contradict one another. I have come in contact with many wardens in my time and to the most part all have been reasonable individuals but there is always that one out there.

Re: Recent Boat Upgrades [Re: Stratos2011] #13951123 04/07/21 05:33 PM
R
RedRanger521 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
I think that some time, effort and $ went into this and it looks good. However......

I was fishing a tourney at Rayburn-BigBassSplash and 2 boats that had "non standard lighting" were running somewhat close to me in the dark. It was very disorienting as to what direction they were actually running. I did try to stay away from them but it's hard to tell direction sometimes. They both had lights that illuminated their "wave splash" green. It really sucked as it was so confusing. My opinion is that it should be illegal if it is not to USCG spec and folks need to know why.

[Linked Image]
2022 Caymas CX21Pro, Mercury 250 4 Stroke, 52" Ultrex 112 MS I Pilot Link, HBird M360, Two 16"Apex MSI+, Two Garmin EchoMap 126 Ultras, Two LVS34, PowerPole Blades
Re: Recent Boat Upgrades [Re: RedRanger521] #13951144 04/07/21 05:42 PM
S
Angler
OP Online Content
Angler
S
Originally Posted by RedRanger521
I think that some time, effort and $ went into this and it looks good. However......

I was fishing a tourney at Rayburn-BigBassSplash and 2 boats that had "non standard lighting" were running somewhat close to me in the dark. It was very disorienting as to what direction they were actually running. I did try to stay away from them but it's hard to tell direction sometimes. They both had lights that illuminated their "wave splash" green. It really sucked as it was so confusing. My opinion is that it should be illegal if it is not to USCG spec and folks need to know why.

I get what you are saying. Again, i will only be using the side strip lights while fishing. And will only be using the head light while idling stumps. But i know not everyone has the same level of courtesy for others.

Re: Recent Boat Upgrades [Re: Stratos2011] #13951989 04/08/21 03:06 AM
S
Angler
OP Online Content
Angler
S
Thanhs everyone for the compliments as well as the info on legal issues. At the end of the day I like what I did and I will be respectful to others when using any of the lights as that’s how I live my life anyway. I enjoyed doing these projects and I am happy with the results.

Re: Recent Boat Upgrades [Re: Stratos2011] #13952001 04/08/21 03:23 AM
D
Dbrit83 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
Do you have a link for the LED strips you used, I have not found any yet that I liked to look of, been looking for a while. Thank you in advance.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide