Print Thread
need Lowrance help - Elite Ti messing up? #13877572 02/07/21 06:01 PM
K
KEGracing Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
K
I need some Lowrance help please. I have a 9" Elite Ti unit that is about 3 years old. I bought it new and has low hours on it.

I moved it from a Tracker bass boat to our Tritoon a few months ago. Recently I have started having trouble with it, randomly. Most of the time it works great...

I have been fishing for Blue cats this winter, doing a lot of drifting. Unit normally works well, but every now and then the transducer will start showing that I am in 2 - 3' of water, and has a bad scan. Actually in 20-30 feet of water. Everything else is ok... mapping good, temperatures, time, etc. If I go to side imaging, it still seems to work, but numbers are wrong. Both down imaging and sonar are doing this.

I have tried cleaning the bottom of the transducer = about fell out of boat and water is COLD trying to get to it... LOL. I have turned unit off and powered back up, I have unplugged both cables and made sure they are in tight, etc. I dont think I have a voltage issue...

Unit will work fine for an hour or two, and then just start doing this at random. Sometimes it goes back on its own. Other times I can not get it to correct. Even turning power on and off does not work... have not found a simple fix. It just clears itself.

Normally this unit works well, drifting, low speed and even at plane. Not sure what is - has happened?

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Ken

2014 Premier Alante 235 RF tritoon. Momma's boat. But I get to fish on her.

A country boy will survive... but those who cross him?

Cedar Creek personal best:
Blue Cat 31.55 lbs
Hybrid 6.2 lbs
Crappie 2.1 lbs
Tennessee River Blue 45.7
Re: need Lowrance help - Elite Ti messing up? [Re: KEGracing] #13877767 02/07/21 09:23 PM
Rob Jasper Lowrance Pro-Staff Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
If you feel your power is good, you could have a transducer going bad. Not that this is going to fix it, but check to see if a Software Update is available. I would also like to know what type of transducer you are running. Next time it does mess up, try doing a PAGES-SETTINGS-SONAR- (in center of the screen) RESET SONAR DEFAULTS.

In checking software - Press PAGES-SETTINGS (in center of screed, scroll down to ABOUT. In top left part of page it will show your current software level. Latest for Elite Ti (first series not the Ti2) is 18.2.

Last edited by Rob Jasper Lowrance Pro-Staff; 02/07/21 09:28 PM.

Rob Jasper
Re: need Lowrance help - Elite Ti messing up? [Re: KEGracing] #13877830 02/07/21 10:38 PM
K
KEGracing Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
K
Thanks for the help Rob, and the PM also.

I have the totalscan transducer I am pretty sure... 6-7" long, has the blue insert on top, black plastic base and mount to boat.

Unit is at the lake on the boat, will be next weekend before I can try anything. But will definitely try the suggestion and will also check the software update. I updated it about a year or so ago... but do not remember what version.

On the power side, how critical is voltage? I am drifting a long time with it on and the motor off... I have a good 31 series battery, and never low to start the big motor, but I have small wires ran. Could low voltage cause this? Or ground issue?

thanks again, will let you know what I find.

Ken

Blue Cat 31.55 lbs
Hybrid 6.2 lbs
Crappie 2.1 lbs
Re: need Lowrance help - Elite Ti messing up? [Re: KEGracing] #13878005 02/08/21 01:09 AM
L
Larry Hutchens Lowrance Pro S Online Content
Angler
Online Content
Angler
L
Ken: A couple of things to check after you update the software

Make sure the Fishing Mode is set to shallow if fishing under 60ft or Fresh water if your over 60ft and under 400ft

Check the Transducer installation and make sure its says TotalScan M/H if it says unknown then find your transducer on the list or it might already be thier greyed out which means if finds itself. Then when all done with these hit save go to the sonar page screen and make sure sensitivity is set to auto make sure it is set auto plus 2 to 6 points. Then make sure the depth is set to auto so it ranges on its own. If you do all that and you don't loose the bottom when running then it could be a bad transducer. The total scan is very tricky to get to work at all speeds. You said this effects your downscan The depth for strucuture scan down and side both get thier depth from sonar so fix the sonar and the rest will take care of its self. Let us know what you find after going through your unit as described above.

Larry

Last edited by Larry Hutchens Lowrance Pro S; 02/13/21 04:00 AM.

Lowrance On Water Training
www.LowranceOnWater.com

Lowrance Pro-Staff since 1986 Bass and Crappie Fishing, Hunting, Farming, On Water Training , Exploring Texas and its history.
Re: need Lowrance help - Elite Ti messing up? [Re: KEGracing] #13947458 04/05/21 12:57 AM
K
KEGracing Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
K
Rob and Larry,

Wanted to follow up with you, and thank you both again. Been a few weeks, but work and stuff has gotten in the way of fishing. Went this weekend and spent about 4 hours Sat. and 3 hours today.

I looked at everything you both said. I do have the latest update - 18.2. Only setting I found that was NOT where you recommended was the sensitivity setting... it was manual and high. I changed this to the auto + 2 this weekend, as the water was pretty dirty.

Fished 4 hour and 3 hours, with no faults or issues... Hope to get more time with it soon, but at least it worked this weekend!

thanks again,

Ken

Blue Cat 31.55 lbs
Hybrid 6.2 lbs
Crappie 2.1 lbs
Re: need Lowrance help - Elite Ti messing up? [Re: KEGracing] #13947583 04/05/21 02:42 AM
L
Larry Hutchens Lowrance Pro S Online Content
Angler
Online Content
Angler
L
Glad its working again and your back on the water. Enjoy

Lowrance On Water Training
www.LowranceOnWater.com

Lowrance Pro-Staff since 1986 Bass and Crappie Fishing, Hunting, Farming, On Water Training , Exploring Texas and its history.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide