texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,013
TexDawg 119,783
Bigbob_FTW 95,321
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,326
Mark Perry 72,486
Derek 🐝 68,321
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,879
Posts13,954,696
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Denton Creek 2021 [Re: prosise] #13942349 03/31/21 01:45 AM
P
prosise Online Content OP
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
It was tough yesterday for me as well. The normal sweet spots were casting practice. Going tomorrow and will do something different. Don't know if I'm going to go way above, or slow down in the pools. Your not alone.. Strange year so far.

Re: Denton Creek 2021 [Re: MrWhite87] #13942563 03/31/21 12:41 PM
K
KidKrappie Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
K
Originally Posted by MrWhite87
Went today. Hiked from 377 west to cade branch. Not even a nibble. Moved to the parking lot and fished from the bridge west/north to Graham branch and only caught one small male. Third outing this year and thats the first sandy I've caught.
Makes me miss the old days when every outing in march april or may meant at least a dozen keepers or more likely a limit with plenty of CAR just for fun.

I feel like the freeze confused a lot of the fish this year. Then again Maybe I just suck at fishing now.

377 is one of the worst places to fish IMO. It is fished hard daily and the fish typically are caught when they are moving through. Upstream in the shallow water is the spawning grounds where they are in bigger numbers. You are going to have to walk and work for them but that is the better area.

Re: Denton Creek 2021 [Re: prosise] #13942564 03/31/21 12:43 PM
K
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
K
From what I have been catching not only here but at other places tells me we are about halfway though the spawn. Alot more spawned out females than not spawned out. If we get another rain in the next 2 weeks or so, it will push the last batch of fish up.

Re: Denton Creek 2021 [Re: prosise] #13943521 04/01/21 02:30 AM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Launched at TC at 8am, went up thru the hole and about two and a half miles above the hole looking around. Above the hole I caught 4 fish, and I worked all the eddies and pools up past the area I fished with mason. No bait seen, and really nothing going on above the hole. Gar are out in all the good areas, and I saw some that are as big as my leg.. Working my way down, it was "poor" to be nice. Rolled the canoe for the first time, nothing lost but I did have to pick up trash that was lost. Pelican cases saved all the dry goods, and nothing bruised other than my man card. Came down to the Hole and caught about 10 but all were small. Eased down below the hole and fished the deep pool but no takers. At this point the tiny-trap is not producing, switched over to the jig and really have to finesse the bait. Some shad seen at the hole, and around the log jam area. Gar are out in full force, and they are in all the good areas. Rocks above/below 377 bridge (goose egg), and nothing at the 377 bridge. To top it off, handle on the suzuki broke, so I threw in some redneck modification and tied a stick to the motor.. It is really beautiful on the creek, but if you have yard work I would do the mowing. Take care all...

You can pick up some fish at the hole, and the small pools going down from the hole but you are going to work.

Re: Denton Creek 2021 [Re: prosise] #13943879 04/01/21 02:14 PM
T
T- Gil Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Fresh out of high school, a buddy and I went to Oklahoma to canoe down the Illinois River. We had been several times before, but this trip we decided to take a longer float. First rattle out of the box, we flipped the canoe. Only thing we lost was his car keys. Unfortunately, we were in his car! That was the first time I ever caught and cooked fish over a fire. Possibly the worst fish I have ever eaten.
You get pretty creative with that ol' Suzuki. Nothing keeps a good man down!

[Linked Image]

TEAM HUMDINGER

1st teach a child to love God, teach him second to love Family, 3rd teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. CC

"Una Stamus"
Re: Denton Creek 2021 [Re: prosise] #13944304 04/01/21 08:03 PM
K
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
K
Originally Posted by prosise
Launched at TC at 8am, went up thru the hole and about two and a half miles above the hole looking around. Above the hole I caught 4 fish, and I worked all the eddies and pools up past the area I fished with mason. No bait seen, and really nothing going on above the hole. Gar are out in all the good areas, and I saw some that are as big as my leg.. Working my way down, it was "poor" to be nice. Rolled the canoe for the first time, nothing lost but I did have to pick up trash that was lost. Pelican cases saved all the dry goods, and nothing bruised other than my man card. Came down to the Hole and caught about 10 but all were small. Eased down below the hole and fished the deep pool but no takers. At this point the tiny-trap is not producing, switched over to the jig and really have to finesse the bait. Some shad seen at the hole, and around the log jam area. Gar are out in full force, and they are in all the good areas. Rocks above/below 377 bridge (goose egg), and nothing at the 377 bridge. To top it off, handle on the suzuki broke, so I threw in some redneck modification and tied a stick to the motor.. It is really beautiful on the creek, but if you have yard work I would do the mowing. Take care all...

You can pick up some fish at the hole, and the small pools going down from the hole but you are going to work.

I typically have to finesse the fish all year long it seems. Small mini fluke (Color isn't important) on a light jighead with 4 lb floro. Hop it off the bottom and let it kind of float. Minnows on the bottom would surely get attention if you feel like messing with them.

Re: Denton Creek 2021 [Re: prosise] #13944613 04/02/21 01:06 AM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Lessons learned, me and Mason have many miles on this canoe with the suzuki.. Just in the last 4 weeks we have over 200 miles. Never turned over the canoe, but it finally happened. Wasn't even using the motor, was coasting up to a tree to doodle sock for some fish.. Just stuck the nose into the bank and leaned towards the bank. Water went into the canoe, and it just happened. Nature is unexpected, and the old man respects her. Rods/Reels primary focus, one rod in hand the other in the water and was able to get it into grasp with the foot. Eased the canoe toward the bank and, checked for anything out of pocket.. Close call and was lucky it was shallow water. If you tell the truth you don't have to remember what you said. It was lost focus on my part. No fancy story, just wasn't paying attention to the situation. Pelican boxes saved the day, phone and dry clothes in good cond. Fishing sucked, but the spring growth is absolutely beautiful. Will check on the fishing in a week.. . Hope all are well, and hope to get some good reports to you soon..

Prosise

Re: Denton Creek 2021 [Re: prosise] #13944711 04/02/21 02:33 AM
F
fishrdude Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
Glad that you are ok. Things can go south quickly. I know that most of my close calls have come in the same way. When we are in a touchy situation we are prepared for it and concentrating. It is when we let our guard down and loose concentration that things can go bad.

Re: Denton Creek 2021 [Re: prosise] #13944924 04/02/21 12:25 PM
R
riverwolf Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
Originally Posted by prosise
Launched at TC ramp and went scouting on the upper end of the lake. Caught about a dozen real small whites in the areas I labeled last week (whites branch) . In the canoe I worked thru the log jam at the bridge and worked all the way to clear water. Water temp 69 & Just small fish. Went to Marshal branch, the creek that leads up to trophy club. This creek is vacant, only gar. Scanned the whole thing and some bait but nothing else. Water was 58. Walked many banks and found a bunch of lures, bobbers, and a real nice white spinning rod that is missing an eye. Only thing is the rod didn't make it home. If someone found a rod on the ramp, or road let me know. I can describe the rod, and I have video of it. Crappie were not in the spot that I found them last week. They are moving, and in deep brush. Did catch some donkeys on jigs, and I mean big crappie. Not accessible by foot, or boat very shallow. They are working towards the creek.
Never made it up the creek, filled the boat up with trash from main lake. Left about 5 pvc jug lines at the ramp. Hope someone can use them.. Did not keep any fish, traveled about 12 miles by canoe cruising around and walking the debris piles on the banks.. Talked to a man in a jet drive that went close to the hole, and he said it was no good. Think you prob need to be above the hole. Anyhoo, steak is not going to cook itself..

Dogfish head 90 minute ipa is smooth as butter...

BTW: I have about 200 bobbers of random sizes.. Will prob leave a bucket of them down at TC park area. If you need bobbers let me know. I have every shape, size, model made. Wood, plastic, glow, rattle, if you need some IM me and I can get you what you need for free..

Prosise

Also: The creek is BLM (federal) land. Do not conceal carry if you are walking in, and mind your P's and Q's. That is a big one you cannot win.

Do they pat you down? I take my son and I will carry. If I'm in the woods with people I don't know I carry. So unless they pat you down ill be okay.

Re: Denton Creek 2021 [Re: prosise] #13945106 04/02/21 02:50 PM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
I specifically called the BLM last year, it took a few redirections to get the right person. But on federal land it's a no... I was doing some exploring along the creek east of the 377 bridge area. The area between the bridge, and trophy club to be exact. Well, I ran across a tent and didn't give me warm fuzzies. There are "No gun" signs posted at the parking areas near one of the old roads in the Roanoke/Trophy CLub area (Across the road from the 7-11 on 377). I talked to the BLM rep and he said it was not allowed for any reason. Did not ask much more than that, It was really hard to get someone to answer the phone last summer. Had to leave a message a few times. WIth that said, if you are stopped by a game warden and he asks for your DL you are obligated to show. I do not know how they would handle this, and I would not want to go thru this.. Federal problems are a whole different level of hurdles. Now we always walk with a "poking stick" for snakes etc.. I do have two fixed blade knifes on the canoe in the front and back, along with my pocket knife. So, you might reach out and see what you can find. Do not want to get dinged for accidentally doing something I wasn't aware of. Been licensed since the first year, think it was "1995".

Federally designated areas where weapons are banned, even with a permit:
U.S. Army Corps of Engineers* — The Corps builds and runs flood control and navigation dams. The Corps has jurisdiction over the dam site and usually all waters backed up by the dam. Per 36 CFR § 327.13, carry anywhere on Corps property is illegal unless written permission has been received from the District Commander. Firearms can be unloaded and secured in a vehicle while on Corps property.
Federal link

Re: Denton Creek 2021 [Re: prosise] #13945295 04/02/21 05:20 PM
F
fonzie_r0cks Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
Was it a big gray tent? I saw that the other day but didn’t see anyone around. I did see a gray backpack too close to that tent figured it belonged to who owned the tent... needed less to say didn’t have a bite that afternoon. Me and my son will be going back here shortly.

Wild Hog Removal
817-823-8939
Re: Denton Creek 2021 [Re: prosise] #13945332 04/02/21 06:16 PM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
It was a gray tent next to the old foundation, an it had a bag next to it as well. Think it was a duffel bag on the west side of the tent, and very well concealed location. Know someone at the PD, and they said they know who it belongs to. Apparently the guy comes thru occasionally, and they know how to get in touch with him. He is not a problem, which is good. I just stayed away from the location, didn't want to get involved with someone living off the grid. Situational awareness out in the sticks is a must.

Re: Denton Creek 2021 [Re: prosise] #13945570 04/02/21 10:57 PM
F
fonzie_r0cks Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
Well we got out there fished a few spots caught 5 closer to Henrietta creek (think that’s what it’s called) all on a blue and sliver rooster tail. No keepers but had a good time exploring with my son! [Linked Image]

Wild Hog Removal
817-823-8939
Re: Denton Creek 2021 [Re: prosise] #13945727 04/03/21 01:48 AM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
You made my day! There is nothing better than what you are doing. My Dad told me before he passed, "You are investing knowledge into Mason". I love it, and love spending time with the kids outdoors.

You Rock... Thx for sharing

Prosise

Last edited by prosise; 04/03/21 01:49 AM.
Re: Denton Creek 2021 [Re: prosise] #13956504 04/12/21 02:46 AM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Had good intentions to go up the creek today, but was in the mood for some comfort. Well that backfired, the sunday traffic wore me out.. Took the boat to main lake bass fishing, and ended up catching sand bass. Was working protected points with a crankbait and lost a good fish, prob in the 4lb range. Started working the area and caught sandbass. Slowed down with a jig, spoon, small crankbait, and small lipless crankbait and caught some donkeys. Caught some really nice 15-16" females mixed with 3"-5" fish. They were big or really small. Later in the day the fish were mid size, and no big females. Stayed in the same area from lunch to 7pm.

Bass were feeding on the small sandbass, caught some keepers on a crankbait through the afternoon (no big bass). Caught about 20 of the big females, a bunch of keeper size males, and about the same number of teeny tiny ssnd bass. Worked the bottom, but a few hit the crankbait close to the boat.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by prosise; 04/12/21 03:15 AM.
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide