Print Thread
Big Jon, little/no motor? #13943347 04/01/21 12:19 AM
S
Swyt Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Was talking to someone and my boat plans may have changed. Still just getting ideas though. The ideas I'm throwing around are, Big Jon, 80lbs+ spot lock bow trolling motor, no outboard. Big Jon, 30lbs transom trolling motor. Big Jon, sub $1000 outboard possibly used (5hp or less). The boat is a Mod V/flat bottom, 1852 to 1652, empty hull weighs 400-500lbs.

If I get a bow trolling motor, I really want it to be nice and have spot lock and never need to upgrade it. I have no idea if it would be viable to have either just a bow or transom trolling motor (not both at the same time) and go out fishing for hours, in possibly 15+mph winds? What could I expect out of having only a low HP outboard? Would such low power on a boat that size be dangerous? In a 12ft boat, a 30lbs trolling motor can get up to 4mph max, not sure how much slower it will be in a bigger boat.

Maybe even a spot lock bow and small outboard. But the plan would be to eventually have a 65hp~ outboard with a spot lock bow trolling motor.

Thanks,
Swyt

Re: Big Jon, little/no motor? [Re: Swyt] #13943398 04/01/21 01:06 AM
Alumacraft 14 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
You need an outboard. Strong winds, dead battery, emergency will happen. The power and a speed provided by even a 5hp against big waves and wind will be far superior to a trolling motor. Here is the problem with the trolling motor as main power. You mount on the bow, in high winds and waves, the motor will be in and out of the water as the bow is extremely light. This is more problematic with terrrova trolling motors as they are hard to control when the prop comes out of the water. Mount on the transom and you will have problems with strong winds blowing the bow around. Min power I would go for a 16ft would be 15hp and a 18ft a 25hp. I have owned and modded many jons in my time, I have a spot lock salt water trolling motor. It is a great motor but I have caught just as many fish with a tiller handle. When it comes down to it a trolling motor is just an accessory a outboard is a necessity.

Re: Big Jon, little/no motor? [Re: Alumacraft 14] #13943510 04/01/21 02:25 AM
S
Swyt Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Originally Posted by Alumacraft 14
You need an outboard. Strong winds, dead battery, emergency will happen. The power and a speed provided by even a 5hp against big waves and wind will be far superior to a trolling motor. Here is the problem with the trolling motor as main power. You mount on the bow, in high winds and waves, the motor will be in and out of the water as the bow is extremely light. This is more problematic with terrrova trolling motors as they are hard to control when the prop comes out of the water. Mount on the transom and you will have problems with strong winds blowing the bow around. Min power I would go for a 16ft would be 15hp and a 18ft a 25hp. I have owned and modded many jons in my time, I have a spot lock salt water trolling motor. It is a great motor but I have caught just as many fish with a tiller handle. When it comes down to it a trolling motor is just an accessory a outboard is a necessity.

Ah, darn. So even a electric 12' Jon Boat with either trolling motor is a bad idea as well? That was my original plan. 12' Jon, transom trolling motor, battery, fish finder, done... (+ safety equipment, oar(s)) Once upon a time I went fishing in a Jon boat with a transom trolling motor, with a adult neighbor, his kid and me, a kid as well... It's weird I just remembered this considering how long I've been throwing around ideas. I don't think there was any wind at all. Lake Pflugerville is about 5-10 minutes away. But it's electric only... Still haven't caught a single fish there the 200 times I've been there bank fishing.

If you're using a tiller to troll around/hold position, won't it scare the fish away?

Re: Big Jon, little/no motor? [Re: Swyt] #13943546 04/01/21 02:48 AM
Alumacraft 14 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
We have a electric only lake in Boerne. I would fish a 14ft jon, with a 30lbs thrust minn kota tiller handle on the transom. Speed was about 2.5mph, 4 hours battery life max speed. Wind could become a problem, it is a small lake so I always made it back.

A 12ft should do fine but I wouldn't want to be stuck in bad weather/wind. You can find good deals on craigslist, most have boat, motor, trailer. Like THIS

Last edited by Alumacraft 14; 04/01/21 02:50 AM.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide