Forums59
Topics1,037,854
Posts13,935,655
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Re: How to cut gun deaths by 50% overnight [Re: Jpurdue] #13935777 03/25/21 12:39 PM
F
Frenzy Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
F
1. Requiring background checks on all gun sales for all buyers (retail & private)

You mean like the one they have in Colorado where there was just another mass shooting? hmmm

Re: How to cut gun deaths by 50% overnight [Re: Frenzy] #13935787 03/25/21 12:47 PM
J
Jpurdue Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by Frenzy
1. Requiring background checks on all gun sales for all buyers (retail & private)

You mean like the one they have in Colorado where there was just another mass shooting? hmmm

Clearly some improvements need to be made to the system. That guy was actually on an FBI watch list. That's all I'm talking about here, improvements to the system. Clearly there are a lot of pitfalls here that need to be carefully considered. Winding up on a government watch list with no means to get yourself off is clearly a justifiable concern. That said, when it's easier for a 21 year old on an FBI watchlist to buy a gun than it is for him to adopt a dog, maybe that's an issue we could work on as well.

Somebody else mentioned this already, but another idea I like is a "license to buy" card. Do one thorough background check, maybe with an actual sit down interview and a few references required (just like global entry) and you are good to go buy as many guns as you want for a 4 year period or whatever. Rinse and repeat.

Listen, I agree, nothing is going to stop a member of the mob from getting a gun, but even the smallest hoop may stop some unstable clinically crazy 20 year who doesn't even have the motivation to move out of his moms basement.

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: How to cut gun deaths by 50% overnight [Re: Frenzy] #13935791 03/25/21 12:48 PM
C
CCTX Offline
mapquest
mapquest
C

That’s why it’s a 50% reduction. Even in countries with significant restrictions (England, Canada, Australia, etc), there are still gun related deaths

[Linked Image]
Re: How to cut gun deaths by 50% overnight [Re: Jpurdue] #13935834 03/25/21 01:13 PM
N
Nickbyrd Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
N
Sigh ..... what a shame

Re: How to cut gun deaths by 50% overnight [Re: Jpurdue] #13935839 03/25/21 01:17 PM
Bigbob_FTW Offline
Big Sprocket Bob
Big Sprocket Bob
Originally Posted by Jpurdue

That guy was actually on an FBI watch list. .

false. he was "known" to the FBI who was pursuing another case. I know you liberals love word salad, but facts matter to us conservatives.

[Linked Image][Linked Image] FJB
Re: How to cut gun deaths by 50% overnight [Re: Jpurdue] #13935845 03/25/21 01:20 PM
G
GarySHO Offline
Ice Ice Baby
Ice Ice Baby
G
Originally Posted by steveiam
Originally Posted by Bigbob_FTW
I'm out after the first one.

That's fine Bob. Read the article, 94% of the population disagrees with you.

I’m actually with Bob here-

I’m ok with being in the minority, aren’t you when you think you are right?

I just don’t trust “powers that be” because of past history-

And the obvious——-
Murder is already against the law.
But it’s going to happen, always has and always will, some way some how.

Anything else is just a “feel good” law.

And I also don’t believe these % either.
A lot of people are afraid to answer what they truly feel.

That's fair Steve, nothing wrong with sticking to a well thought out opinion. Sounds like you've done that in this case. I'm not saying I'm a 100% sold on these 4 bullet points either, but I'm willing to discuss them.

The problem lies in where you cannot give them an inch or they will take and take and take until eventually they will get to something you do care about. There are plenty of laws on the books. Enforce them. It's the liberal mindset to keep giving criminals a slap on the wrist time after time until they have a rap sheet 50 + arrests and they finally kill someone you care about and then blame guns or cops or race or whatever.

[Linked Image]
A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user- Theodore Roosevelt

Broken Bow Lake Fishing Guide

2020 Caymas CX 20 PRO and 250 SHO
Re: How to cut gun deaths by 50% overnight [Re: Jpurdue] #13935874 03/25/21 01:39 PM
RO519 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
If only we could make a law that makes killing people illegal... Ohh wait.

Fightin' Texas Aggie '14

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: How to cut gun deaths by 50% overnight [Re: Jpurdue] #13935884 03/25/21 01:46 PM
H
HasBen Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
H
If you use a gun committing a crime and kill someone, automatic death sentence. If you use a gun committing a crime, automatic life with no chance of parole. No exceptions. Guns are not the problem. People using guns with no major consequence is a problem. At least it would be one step, but the politicians have no stomach for putting their constituents in jail.

"Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eyewitness."-Mark Twain
Re: How to cut gun deaths by 50% overnight [Re: Jpurdue] #13935895 03/25/21 01:50 PM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
It's about lost faith in government. I would have no problems with most, not that I think they would do any good, had it not been for just living through a year in which my business along with so many others was forcibly closed, masks, nonsense, an election stolen, etc etc. The optimist in me wants to think the best but in my mind I think that's not correct. We are on a downhill slide towards something very sad. Going forward I have zero trust of government and have no doubts they will attempt confiscation at some point. Maybe not today or tomorrow but it will happen. Truth be told I dont see how anyone can trust government after the last 12 months.

Re: How to cut gun deaths by 50% overnight [Re: Jpurdue] #13935899 03/25/21 01:53 PM
N
Nickbyrd Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
N

Re: How to cut gun deaths by 50% overnight [Re: HasBen] #13935919 03/25/21 02:07 PM
chickenman Offline
1:28
1:28
Originally Posted by HasBen
If you use a gun committing a crime and kill someone, automatic death sentence.

Oddly, the death sentence has been removed as an option is several states because "it does not deter someone from committing murder" yet imposing more gun laws is supposed to "deter someone from committing murder".

[Linked Image]
Re: How to cut gun deaths by 50% overnight [Re: Jpurdue] #13935921 03/25/21 02:07 PM
J
Jim Ford Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Jpurdue (and I apologize for the lower-case J in the previous post; I’m working off a cellphone and couldn’r recall whether you capitalized it or not), I’m sure your intentions are good. But you have been misled by a leftwing publication pushing an agenda. I believe it was you who stated the Colorado shooter was on an FBI watch list. The same FBI that conducts the background checks. Hmmmmm..... The same FBI that submitted false affidavits to a FISA judge to spy illegally on a president at the bidding of corrupt politicians........

Jpurdue, do you have any idea why so many mentally ill persons with homicidal tendencies fly under the radar? There are privacy laws protecting their illnesses from being reported. Good luck getting those revoked. And as for watch lists, I strongly suspect that the current crop of corrupt misfits at the helm of this nation have a lot of people on lists for no other reason than they proudly supported President Trump. Those misfits endorsed and supported violence by armed thugs all over the nation in the advance of their revolution last year. You have to clean up those crooks before starting on law-abiding citizens. Those corrupt politicians want us divided; fighting with each other, not focused on their attempts to obtain more and more power over all of our lives.

Jpurdue, no laws we can pass will control the conduct of criminals. No law we can pass will prevent criminals from acquiring weapons, or drugs, or from stealing, murdering, raping, and trampling all over others’ rights. We can only outlaw certain conduct, and prosecute the violators. And as for your calling me Sherlock, in what I perceived to be a condescending manner, I was a detective for ten years prior to my current assignment. I’m in my 38th year as a cop, still working. It may well be that I actually have a better grasp of the elements of violence than you. I’d suggest you trot your a$$ up to Chicago and see how many shooters there own their firearms legally. Then tell us how effective the measures you proposed would be.......

Re: How to cut gun deaths by 50% overnight [Re: Jim Ford] #13935932 03/25/21 02:11 PM
Bigbob_FTW Offline
Big Sprocket Bob
Big Sprocket Bob
Originally Posted by Jim Ford
Jpurdue (and I apologize for the lower-case J in the previous post; I’m working off a cellphone and couldn’r recall whether you capitalized it or not), I’m sure your intentions are good. But you have been misled by a leftwing publication pushing an agenda. I believe it was you who stated the Colorado shooter was on an FBI watch list. The same FBI that conducts the background checks. Hmmmmm..... The same FBI that submitted false affidavits to a FISA judge to spy illegally on a president at the bidding of corrupt politicians........

Jpurdue, do you have any idea why so many mentally ill persons with homicidal tendencies fly under the radar? There are privacy laws protecting their illnesses from being reported. Good luck getting those revoked. And as for watch lists, I strongly suspect that the current crop of corrupt misfits at the helm of this nation have a lot of people on lists for no other reason than they proudly supported President Trump. Those misfits endorsed and supported violence by armed thugs all over the nation in the advance of their revolution last year. You have to clean up those crooks before starting on law-abiding citizens. Those corrupt politicians want us divided; fighting with each other, not focused on their attempts to obtain more and more power over all of our lives.

Jpurdue, no laws we can pass will control the conduct of criminals. No law we can pass will prevent criminals from acquiring weapons, or drugs, or from stealing, murdering, raping, and trampling all over others’ rights. We can only outlaw certain conduct, and prosecute the violators. And as for your calling me Sherlock, in what I perceived to be a condescending manner, I was a detective for ten years prior to my current assignment. I’m in my 38th year as a cop, still working. It may well be that I actually have a better grasp of the elements of violence than you. I’d suggest you trot your a$$ up to Chicago and see how many shooters there own their firearms legally. Then tell us how effective the measures you proposed would be.......

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image][Linked Image] FJB
Re: How to cut gun deaths by 50% overnight [Re: Jpurdue] #13935946 03/25/21 02:17 PM
T
Techfisher Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
I suspect that within our lifetime that an effort will be made to ban/confiscate certain firearms and to control ammunition sales. And if "they" say turn in your weapons or go to jail a certain percentage of the population will do so. Why you ask..?? Because is that scary black rifle or that handgun worth losing your house, losing your kids college fund, having your credit ruined, having your bank accts frozen, and so on. Never underestimate the power of govt. to do exactly what I've alluded too. You can have all the weapons you want, all the ammo you can stash, but if you have no place to shoot, can't get parts, any sound of gunfire gets reported, etc. then what do you do? Somebody will report you for the right price or the right incentive....unfortunately that's human nature.

There isn't going to be some mythical uprising against govt. over reach. We are too comfortable as a society and too many people will just go along rather than protest. How many of you are really ready to lose everything and cost your families everything as well? It might sound real tough to claim you will resist govt. edicts but if your wife and kids are hungry and cold just how long are you going to last?

I truly hope that the above scenario never comes to pass in my lifetime. It would signal the beginning of the end for this republic we call America.

Re: How to cut gun deaths by 50% overnight [Re: Jpurdue] #13935951 03/25/21 02:23 PM
J
Jim Ford Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Bottom line, Jpurdue: Government cannot prevent violence. Government cannot cure diseases. Government cannot create employment. Government does most things poorly. Beware of government that claims it can do these things.

Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide