Page 1 of 2 1 2
anyone running a curado or SLX DC and Tatula SVs? #13917946 03/10/21 08:30 PM
B
bockscar Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
Old greenie curado thumb bar almost let me down when I had a fish ripping, so its time for an upgrade. Im a daiwa fanboy officially after buying a tatula and SV tatula and love them because they handle the wind really really good. Tried the curado a few years back in my hand and wasnt impressed...but thinking of that new DC curado and having it as a soft plastics reel.

I really think daiwa is great bang for your buck...but im not brand loyal. I like to buy what I feel is best for my money....so im open to the shimano DC. Is anyone running or has anyone run both and put them through their paces and drawn a conclusion on their favorite between the two? Its gonna be about a $50 difference....I dont really backlash much with my tatulas...so im wondering if the DC is $50 better ๐Ÿค”

Last edited by bockscar; 03/10/21 08:30 PM.
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: anyone running a curado or SLX DC and Tatula SVs? [Re: bockscar] #13917965 03/10/21 08:44 PM
S
Shallow Waters Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
I have both, or all three actually - Tatulas, SLX DC and Curado DC. I like all three, but overall prefer the Shimanos. No real complaint about the Tatulas but I keep my finger on the line when fishing so I am not an ideal candidate for the T-Wing system. Just be aware that the DC's have very shallow spools. All three reels cast great, distance is probably a little more in favor of the DCs, but that can lead to spooling the reels in every cast due to the shallow spools.

Between the Shimanos - I havent had the reels long so cant see any real advantage for the Curado over the SLX. Maybe time will tell in which one holds up better. I have a bunch of Curado K's and love those too if you dont feel like you need the DC. I dont backlash hardly ever either, but the DCs can get some distance if that is what you are looking for.

Re: anyone running a curado or SLX DC and Tatula SVs? [Re: bockscar] #13917975 03/10/21 08:53 PM
S
Sawyer S Offline
Angler
Angler
S
I have two curado dc reels and one normal slx. The curados are smoother and feel like they are built better. That being said, the slx is still really smooth especially for the price. Both have been great reels for me. If you are willing to pay a little more i would say buy a curado dc because they are simply better quality and will probably last you a while. If not, I don't think the slx is that far behind the curado dc. I haven't really noticed many differences between the two other than that. The dc reels cast really nicely and I love the sound they make.

Last edited by Sawyer S; 03/10/21 09:30 PM.

Joshua 1:9
Re: anyone running a curado or SLX DC and Tatula SVs? [Re: bockscar] #13918028 03/10/21 09:35 PM
F
Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
I will thow it out there for the price of a Tatula SV you can get a zillon SV TW used on ebay and they are amazing compared to the shimano reels you mentioned.

Re: anyone running a curado or SLX DC and Tatula SVs? [Re: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King] #13918106 03/10/21 10:44 PM
B
bockscar Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted by Shallow Waters
I have both, or all three actually - Tatulas, SLX DC and Curado DC. I like all three, but overall prefer the Shimanos. No real complaint about the Tatulas but I keep my finger on the line when fishing so I am not an ideal candidate for the T-Wing system. Just be aware that the DC's have very shallow spools. All three reels cast great, distance is probably a little more in favor of the DCs, but that can lead to spooling the reels in every cast due to the shallow spools.

Between the Shimanos - I havent had the reels long so cant see any real advantage for the Curado over the SLX. Maybe time will tell in which one holds up better. I have a bunch of Curado K's and love those too if you dont feel like you need the DC. I dont backlash hardly ever either, but the DCs can get some distance if that is what you are looking for.

just checked inventory and my local academy has both....may just come down to the hand feel for me once I try them. not really a fan of the shallower spools...but i likely wont be chucking baits since I plan to use this for soft plastics. great info to know

Originally Posted by Sawyer S
I have two curado dc reels and one normal slx. The curados are smoother and feel like they are built better. That being said, the slx is still really smooth especially for the price. Both have been great reels for me. If you are willing to pay a little more i would say buy a curado dc because they are simply better quality and will probably last you a while. If not, I don't think the slx is that far behind the curado dc. I haven't really noticed many differences between the two other than that. The dc reels cast really nicely and I love the sound they make.

might have to buy once cry once on the curado over SLX. good to hear the SLX has good reviews tho so I can feel good going the cheaper route between the two if thats what I choose once i get them in my hand

Originally Posted by Finesse Master/ Dropshot king
I will thow it out there for the price of a Tatula SV you can get a zillon SV TW used on ebay and they are amazing compared to the shimano reels you mentioned.

So, I kinda threw out the idea of the step up over the tatulas to the zillion. I really really like the tatulas and have no real complaints (I dont mind tying an FG knot)....and I have the law of diminishing returns stuck in my head when it comes to fishing products. I havent casted the zillions at all...but do wonder if its $100 better than the tatula....since I think so highly of the tatula. I just like the tatulas so much I think if I was gonna stick with daiwa itd just be with another tatula. I got a buddy with a zillion....gonna have to ask to borrow it a day and see what I tihnk

Re: anyone running a curado or SLX DC and Tatula SVs? [Re: bockscar] #13918201 03/10/21 11:56 PM
E
ezbassin Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
E
Originally Posted by bockscar
Old greenie curado thumb bar almost let me down when I had a fish ripping, so its time for an upgrade. Im a daiwa fanboy officially after buying a tatula and SV tatula and love them because they handle the wind really really good. Tried the curado a few years back in my hand and wasnt impressed...but thinking of that new DC curado and having it as a soft plastics reel.

I really think daiwa is great bang for your buck...but im not brand loyal. I like to buy what I feel is best for my money....so im open to the shimano DC. Is anyone running or has anyone run both and put them through their paces and drawn a conclusion on their favorite between the two? Its gonna be about a $50 difference....I dont really backlash much with my tatulas...so im wondering if the DC is $50 better ๐Ÿค”

No they are not in my opinion. I have two Shimano Curado DC reels and I do like them but I like the 2020 Tatula SV TW better. I have 6 of those. The Tatulas are easier to set up and for me they work better for light lures and skipping docks than the DC. The DC works well for 3/8 oz weights and above, but again that is just from my experience. I have Shimano, Daiwa, Lews, and 13 Fishing reels so I can compare all of these to each other. I choose them based on the technique I am using.

Re: anyone running a curado or SLX DC and Tatula SVs? [Re: ezbassin] #13918358 03/11/21 02:11 AM
B
bockscar Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted by ezbassin

No they are not in my opinion. I have two Shimano Curado DC reels and I do like them but I like the 2020 Tatula SV TW better. I have 6 of those. The Tatulas are easier to set up and for me they work better for light lures and skipping docks than the DC. The DC works well for 3/8 oz weights and above, but again that is just from my experience. I have Shimano, Daiwa, Lews, and 13 Fishing reels so I can compare all of these to each other. I choose them based on the technique I am using.

loved the tatulas in my hand when I first tried them...then fished them and became a huge fan! my home lake is windy as hell...and I tend to throw lighter baits to avoid hanging up so much. funny you mention the lighter weights.

I didnt like the curado...and now that I think more of it it was the curado K i tried a few years ago that didnt feel good in my hands (i got bigger hands...not bannana hands but pretty big for my size). I think im just gonna let it come down to hand feel...because i think they are all real close in quality reading all the responses. I am bias toward those tatulas tho already because ive seen them do so well in wind.....but been wanting a DC for a while, and the curado is close enough to the budget I can pull the trigger. tough choice LOL

sucks TW doesnt have the demo program anymore. Id have tried the 2 shimanos and even that zillion to see what i liked. damn VID took another victim with that demo program!

Re: anyone running a curado or SLX DC and Tatula SVs? [Re: bockscar] #13918392 03/11/21 02:33 AM
The Tacklesmith Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Just my .02

If you plan on keeping the reels for years, I would go with Shimano.
Parts are available pretty much all the time.

This is just my opinion after years and years of working on reels.
I have never had to wait over 6 months for parts.

Like I said just my opinion.
Plus I'm very pro Shimano and Abu Garcia.

Thank you,
Shawn Smith

TTS Unlimited.... www.ttsunlimited.webs.com
The Tacklesmith ... www.thetacklesmith.webs.com
LED Boat Lighting
Back with the 2 way bass boat alarm https://youtu.be/XGtLRNE7mm0
Dobyns Rod Dealer

Grand Prairie, TX

Re: anyone running a curado or SLX DC and Tatula SVs? [Re: bockscar] #13918476 03/11/21 03:37 AM
F
FishAdmirer Offline
Angler
Angler
F
I have Shimano SLX XTs and Daiwa Tatula CTs. I thought Iโ€™d prefer the Tatulas but like the Shannon SLX XTs slightly more. The Daiwa reels do have more inches per rotation than the Shimanos despite the gear ratios. Check the specs. Canโ€™t really go wrong either way.

Lowe 1860 CC on Eagle Mountain Lake

Catching fish never gets old.
Re: anyone running a curado or SLX DC and Tatula SVs? [Re: bockscar] #13918497 03/11/21 04:08 AM
D
Duke 22 Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
D
I'm a Daiwa guy, I have used all makes and most models, I honestly feel that for the money the Tatula is hard to beat. I have two Zillions and they are great reels but not $100 better. Now the Steez on the other hand is like melted butter. I won't ever buy another Lew's bad experiences stripped gears etc.. I have bought a few 13 Fishing reels and I like them well enough, but my son love the bright orange Concept Z's just for the color.

Re: anyone running a curado or SLX DC and Tatula SVs? [Re: bockscar] #13918509 03/11/21 04:34 AM
BigDozer66 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru

loved the tatulas in my hand when I first tried them...then fished them and became a huge fan! my home lake is windy as hell...and I tend to throw lighter baits to avoid hanging up so much. funny you mention the lighter weights.

I didnt like the curado...and now that I think more of it it was the curado K i tried a few years ago that didnt feel good in my hands (i got bigger hands...not bannana hands but pretty big for my size). I think im just gonna let it come down to hand feel...because i think they are all real close in quality reading all the responses. I am bias toward those tatulas tho already because ive seen them do so well in wind.....but been wanting a DC for a while, and the curado is close enough to the budget I can pull the trigger. tough choice LOL

sucks TW doesnt have the demo program anymore. Id have tried the 2 shimanos and even that zillion to see what i liked. damn VID took another victim with that demo program!

I don't have any SLX reels but I have Curado K's, DC's, and some Daiwa Tatula SV TW's.

If you are anywhere near Lufkin / Nacogdoches in the near future let me know and you would be more than welcome to head to the lake and try them out. cheers fish

2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO (VF115LA) SS Prop
Minn Kota Ultrex i-Pilot Link 45" 80 lb.
Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI BalZout Console
Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI BBT Bow Mount
Trick Step

[Linked Image]
Re: anyone running a curado or SLX DC and Tatula SVs? [Re: bockscar] #13918510 03/11/21 04:38 AM
D
Darin S. Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
D
If you decide to upgrade check out the Chroarch 150G.You can thank me later. thumb

Last edited by Darin S.; 03/11/21 04:48 AM.
Re: anyone running a curado or SLX DC and Tatula SVs? [Re: bockscar] #13918654 03/11/21 01:16 PM
SAKS Online Happy
Extreme Angler
Online Happy
Extreme Angler
Don't think either would be a wrong choice. I use the SV for everything shallow but flipping. IMO Daiwa makes the most user friendly reel on the market. I have Lews custom pros and custom blacks for deeper water and flipping. Get better distance out of them than my Tatula 150's.

Last edited by SAKS; 03/11/21 01:19 PM.
Re: anyone running a curado or SLX DC and Tatula SVs? [Re: SAKS] #13920237 03/12/21 03:57 PM
B
bockscar Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted by The Tacklesmith
Just my .02

If you plan on keeping the reels for years, I would go with Shimano.
Parts are available pretty much all the time.

This is just my opinion after years and years of working on reels.
I have never had to wait over 6 months for parts.

Like I said just my opinion.
Plus I'm very pro Shimano and Abu Garcia.

Good to know! Thanks
Originally Posted by FishAdmirer
I have Shimano SLX XTs and Daiwa Tatula CTs. I thought Iโ€™d prefer the Tatulas but like the Shannon SLX XTs slightly more. The Daiwa reels do have more inches per rotation than the Shimanos despite the gear ratios. Check the specs. Canโ€™t really go wrong either way.

๐Ÿ™

Originally Posted by Duke 22
I'm a Daiwa guy, I have used all makes and most models, I honestly feel that for the money the Tatula is hard to beat. I have two Zillions and they are great reels but not $100 better. Now the Steez on the other hand is like melted butter. I won't ever buy another Lew's bad experiences stripped gears etc.. I have bought a few 13 Fishing reels and I like them well enough, but my son love the bright orange Concept Z's just for the color.

Love them tatulas! Im of the same thinking...plus I think when it comes to fishing tackle (rods and reels specifically) the law of diminishing returns is a real thing! 50 to 100 reel is a big jump, 100 to 200 is a big jump in quality/durabilty too.....200-300....well im not to sure youll see a reel thats $100 better, even though its priced that way. Not a fan of 13, heard too many factory horror stories.

Originally Posted by BigDozer66

I don't have any SLX reels but I have Curado K's, DC's, and some Daiwa Tatula SV TW's.

If you are anywhere near Lufkin / Nacogdoches in the near future let me know and you would be more than welcome to head to the lake and try them out. cheers fish

MUCH APPRECIATED....but if I lived anywhere near you I'd be broke from all the gas money being on the water every day! LOL

Do you have a favorite from the bunch...or are they all solid?

Originally Posted by Darin S.
If you decide to upgrade check out the Chroarch 150G.You can thank me later. thumb

Never even considered it. Pricier than the DC, but not by much....ill do some research into it for sure!

Originally Posted by SAKS
Don't think either would be a wrong choice. I use the SV for everything shallow but flipping. IMO Daiwa makes the most user friendly reel on the market. I have Lews custom pros and custom blacks for deeper water and flipping. Get better distance out of them than my Tatula 150's.

Yup....my BB1 is my missle launcher for sure! think will throw 3/4 ounce baits what seems like a few football fields! LOL

Re: anyone running a curado or SLX DC and Tatula SVs? [Re: bockscar] #13920500 03/12/21 08:12 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
I have some Curado DCs and some SLX DCs. Iโ€™d pass on them if I were you. They are not that great for their costs.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide