Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Back into Fishing #13915181 03/08/21 06:54 PM
billynjuls Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
As you can see from my other posts, I've been struggling lately. I took a 5 year break from fishing due to traveling for business so much. Before I stopped, I had pretty good success and could compete in tournaments, find fish, have a good day fun fishing, etc. I have owned half a dozen bass boats since I started tournament fishing as a kid with my Dad. Own my own business now so I can go when I want. I never stop reading or watching fishing to learn more and more (part of my problem). I have solid mechanics, understand seasonal patterns, bait choices, have the best of everything, but I am struggling so bad it makes me want to quit again. Have any of you quit fishing for a long period of time and found it to be extremely difficult when you came back. I probably just need TOW, but when I ask about fishing a lake and everyone says it's fishing so good right now and I zero, I question my abilities. Anyone else gone through something similar? By the way, I'm 52 years old so I've been doing this for a long time. (I've been told I'm an overthinker, but I don't know how to stop).

Billy

Last edited by billynjuls; 03/08/21 06:55 PM.
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Back into Fishing [Re: billynjuls] #13915192 03/08/21 07:00 PM
billynjuls Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by billynjuls
As you can see from my other posts, I've been struggling lately. I took a 5 year break from fishing due to traveling for business so much. Before I stopped, I had pretty good success and could compete in tournaments, find fish, have a good day fun fishing, etc. I have owned half a dozen bass boats since I started tournament fishing as a kid with my Dad. Own my own business now so I can go when I want. I never stop reading or watching fishing to learn more and more (part of my problem). I have solid mechanics, understand seasonal patterns, bait choices, have the best of everything, but I am struggling so bad it makes me want to quit again. Have any of you quit fishing for a long period of time and found it to be extremely difficult when you came back. I probably just need TOW, but when I ask about fishing a lake and everyone says it's fishing so good right now and I zero, I question my abilities. Anyone else gone through something similar? By the way, I'm 52 years old so I've been doing this for a long time. (I've been told I'm an overthinker, but I don't know how to stop).

Billy

I just re-read my post. It sounds like I'm introducing myself to a support group. smile

Re: Back into Fishing [Re: billynjuls] #13915198 03/08/21 07:03 PM
S
spacejunkie Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
Quickest way to find out faults and get you up to speed is to hire a good guide. Might even get one to fish out of your boat to see the best way to use what you have.

Re: Back into Fishing [Re: billynjuls] #13915199 03/08/21 07:04 PM
G
Gamblingman Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
Get someone to fish with you. Two heads is better than one.

Lets go fishing

Paul
Re: Back into Fishing [Re: spacejunkie] #13915209 03/08/21 07:08 PM
billynjuls Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by spacejunkie
Quickest way to find out faults and get you up to speed is to hire a good guide. Might even get one to fish out of your boat to see the best way to use what you have.

I hired James Biggs who is awesome. He told me to keep it simple and showed me a lot of stuff, but once again I started overthinking things and making it more difficult. I tend to stay in unproductive places too long.

Re: Back into Fishing [Re: billynjuls] #13915222 03/08/21 07:19 PM
L
leethefishking Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
L
This is not the right group to talk to about making things more difficult. A discussion on hook shape can go on for 5 days. My suggestion is to not get discouraged. If your having difficulties now it could be due to cold water and your fishing too shallow. If you still struggle in the spring then your fishing too deep.

Re: Back into Fishing [Re: leethefishking] #13915268 03/08/21 07:54 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by leethefishking
This is not the right group to talk to about making things more difficult. A discussion on hook shape can go on for 5 days. My suggestion is to not get discouraged. If your having difficulties now it could be due to cold water and your fishing too shallow. If you still struggle in the spring then your fishing too deep.

What did you say about the shape of my hook? duel

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Back into Fishing [Re: billynjuls] #13915301 03/08/21 08:25 PM
E
EagleFish Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
E
Hello Billy - I'm in the experiencing the same thing. I'm just getting back into the sport after being out for about 18 years. I was fishing three clubs when I had to quit because of funds and a number of other things. I have found the same problems your describing about getting back into the fishing world. I'm fishing Eagle Mountain more than anywhere else just because I live real close to the lake. It's is kicking my butt to say the least. I know the industry has changed a lot but fish are fish right?

Re: Back into Fishing [Re: billynjuls] #13915317 03/08/21 08:39 PM
White Oak Skeeter Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Now is a bad time to start again and expect to go out and catch a bunch of fish. 95% of us are having a tough time. i fished Winnsboro last week, caught 2 fish. Fished Fork yesterday for 4 hours and caught 4 fish, biggest was 2lbs. I was thrilled!! Once the water temp goes above 60-65, it'll get better everywhere. The "cold snap" shut them down and they were shut down already! Give it a few weeks, exclude 90% of the water, fish way shallow to 7' deep, throw chatterbaits and baby brush hogs on timber, laydowns, docks, etc. and throw squarebills, flat sided, craw and shad patterns, on docks, shallow points, slam them into something to create the reaction, and mostly, have fun!

And, yes, hire James to meet you at the lake you will fish most often. He will help you break the lake down, understand patterns, narrow bait choices, etc. I promise, you will feel that it was the best money you ever spent!!

Re: Back into Fishing [Re: billynjuls] #13915334 03/08/21 08:48 PM
M
MagFluker Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Now is tough with tight feeding windows. If you aren't in the right place right time it can be awfully tough. It may be the lake, it may be baits and presentation. I zeroed on a lake here in NC on Saturday, and then Sunday I went and hammered on a different lake. All they wanted was a jerkbait. It is very hit or miss this time of year. Clear lakes are far better in the cold weather.

Kyle in NC

PB 11.1

Re: Back into Fishing [Re: billynjuls] #13915440 03/08/21 10:19 PM
C
Capt. Bryan Offline
Angler
Angler
C
Funny thing, I stepped away from freshwater fishing for 10 years and thought I used to be good. Now I find myself going out and trying to do what I read about or see others doing on TV. I open the compartments on my boat and think so many choices what do I need to be throwing. So I am taking everything out of my boat except what will fit in one plano 3700 box for hardbaits and narrowing down my plastics to 6-8 items i used to catch fish on to simplify my fishing.

A light texas rig shallow, carolina rig, weightless Senko and a couple of crankbaits should catch fish on any lake right now.

Skeeter FXR 21
Yamaha
Humminbird/Garmin
Lews
Re: Back into Fishing [Re: Capt. Bryan] #13915556 03/09/21 12:05 AM
J
JoeDouble Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Just keep on going! Keep it simple! Always remember the fish can feel the stress thru the line ! Relax , take a deep breath and go have fun . It’s like riding a bike . A little rusty at first but it will come back to you. Fishing is definitely fixing to get better. I just enjoy getting on the water. I love to catch fish. But that’s not all it’s about to me.

JRJ
Re: Back into Fishing [Re: EagleFish] #13915753 03/09/21 02:06 AM
billynjuls Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by EagleFish
Hello Billy - I'm in the experiencing the same thing. I'm just getting back into the sport after being out for about 18 years. I was fishing three clubs when I had to quit because of funds and a number of other things. I have found the same problems your describing about getting back into the fishing world. I'm fishing Eagle Mountain more than anywhere else just because I live real close to the lake. It's is kicking my butt to say the least. I know the industry has changed a lot but fish are fish right?

You would think...

Re: Back into Fishing [Re: billynjuls] #13915758 03/09/21 02:09 AM
banker-always fishing Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Keep fishing and good things will happen! thumb

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Back into Fishing [Re: White Oak Skeeter] #13915764 03/09/21 02:13 AM
billynjuls Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by ForneySkeeter
Now is a bad time to start again and expect to go out and catch a bunch of fish. 95% of us are having a tough time. i fished Winnsboro last week, caught 2 fish. Fished Fork yesterday for 4 hours and caught 4 fish, biggest was 2lbs. I was thrilled!! Once the water temp goes above 60-65, it'll get better everywhere. The "cold snap" shut them down and they were shut down already! Give it a few weeks, exclude 90% of the water, fish way shallow to 7' deep, throw chatterbaits and baby brush hogs on timber, laydowns, docks, etc. and throw squarebills, flat sided, craw and shad patterns, on docks, shallow points, slam them into something to create the reaction, and mostly, have fun!

And, yes, hire James to meet you at the lake you will fish most often. He will help you break the lake down, understand patterns, narrow bait choices, etc. I promise, you will feel that it was the best money you ever spent!!

I have been doing everything you mentioned. That's what's throwing me off. I fished Fork as well yesterday. I fished super shallow with 58 degree water with Chatterbait, Spinnerbait, and flipped jigs and then threw squarebills around timber and jerkbaits on points out to 10 feet of water in 50 degree water.

James was awesome. He definitely said I was an overthinker. We went to Lewisville since he said that had the best structure to see with my SI. I learned a ton and a lot I knew, but it helped getting feedback that I was doing some things right. I have another trip planned with him later in March, but I have to reschedule due to a little fiberglass work getting done. It wasn't on Fork thank goodness.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide