Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Denton Creek 2021 [Re: prosise] #13911747 03/05/21 01:31 PM
J
JWC Nauticstar Offline
Angler
Angler
J
Well a dead cranking battery when I got to the ramp. So a no report from me.

Re: Denton Creek 2021 [Re: prosise] #13914550 03/08/21 01:52 AM
P
prosise Online Content OP
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Had grand intentions of using the 360 on the canoe, but it doesn't work if it thinks it is in shallow water. Took the canoe out of Trophy Club park and went up to Henrietta Hole. Above the 377 bridge it has changed so much, the creek is angry and will grab your lower unit out of the blue. It is flat out dangerous unless you are running a jet. Biggest surprise is about 3/4 mile above the 377 bridge. There is a massive chunk of concrete on the south side of the creek, between this and the north bank is a big old solid tree. (Right in the middle) you were warned
It is pretty shallow and I rubbed gravel several times in the canoe using the 2hp suzuki
There were at least 6 boats up the creek between the 377 bridge and Henrietta Hole. The Hole is not accessible by boat, the water is too shallow. I drug the canoe up, and scanned the hole and there were fish. Saw several people close to the hole who had caught a few. As I was pulling my canoe up the water to get to the hole, there were three men who had been there since the morning. One had about 15 chunks, others has about 5 or 6. Two gents fishing the point that goes to elizabeth creek had about 30. (This was about 12:30pm). I paddled up above the hole to the first bend and tied off on the wall. Fished a jig for a while with no takers, changed to a (tiny-trap) and it was on. I could change back to the jigs and nothing, pickup the other rod with the tiny-trap and would catch fish. The trick is you have to basically drag the bottom with the tiny-trap and they would bite. Videoed the whole thing, will try and get some footage up. Caught all males, and some were really nice. All released, no idea on count but will try and get a number from the video. I fished about 60 yards of water from 1pm-4pm and caught a bunch of fish.. Video will explain better, prob 4 fish for every 7 casts on average.. Some spells of every cast.. The fish were on the shallow banks with rocks, bump the gravel with the tiny-trap and they would bite.. On my way out I fished every sandbar up to the water discharge creek for the water treatment plant and caught fish with the tiny trap. Even with people on the bank not catching, i could pick one up. The fish are up in the shallower water. I prob had three easy limits between 1pm and 4pm. There are allot of people up there but they are fishing with bobbers, and jigs. Nobody had any count.. I had my long pole to retrieve hung up lures so I was brave with the tiny trap.. (Important thing, the banks up here have that clay silt layer that it slick as glass, so if you walk up wear good boots. You are going to get real muddy, its pretty bad mud up there.. Good luck, please pack your trash out, and get your kids on some fish.. Remember, bump the bottom. If you have anything to help with hang-ups take it. 8 miles up and 8 miles down in the canoe using 3/4 gallon of gas.

Coming down from I35 would be work, but interesting. I seriously wouldn't take a boat up there.. John boat with a small motor, or the like would be good.. You will have to pull up some shallow water.. The creek is lower than I expected up there. And yes I am a redneck, probably only canoe in the DFW area with a helix 12, mega 360, and my old lowrance.. The old lowrance has some good waypoints on it.. Not using it on the big boat so it is now on the canoe.

It is still real early, not much of anything near 377 bridge.. will get better in the coming weeks.. I might go up once more this week, but will likely bass fish for some big girls until it gets closer.. If you have any questions shoot me an instant message.

Prosise

This picture shows where I had the canoe (yellow mark) casting to the shallow side of the creek (green marks)
[Linked Image]

Hope to get some video, but may have problems with its size..

Some pics of the bigger males.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by prosise; 03/08/21 02:27 AM.
Re: Denton Creek 2021 [Re: prosise] #13915066 03/08/21 04:57 PM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
First I want to encourage that you should be sharpening your hooks.. If I miss a fish I touch up the hooks, it makes a big difference. If you are pulling out the lure and fishing it until you loose it, your missing allot of fish.. This is a rush edit, not wanting to spend much time as there is too much info.. Battery ran out and that is the "beep" you hear in the end.. I caught about 12 more on the way down on the rock beds. Take care all, going up and fishing just some rock beds, not going above the hole as it is too damn much work pulling the canoe up.. It is a long video, just skip around and you will get the point..

I am specifically going to fish a single jig today, i had a man kick my butt 10-1 last year fishing a single jig vs 2 on a line. Also, going to be fishing an alternate type of rattle bait that is about 2 bucks at academy to see how it performs.

Last edited by prosise; 03/08/21 04:59 PM.
Re: Denton Creek 2021 [Re: Ledeez] #13915298 03/08/21 08:23 PM
J
JWC Nauticstar Offline
Angler
Angler
J
Good job! I went Saturday but stayed on the main lake. I did go west, but didn't get to the river. I didn't catch one sandie either.

Re: Denton Creek 2021 [Re: prosise] #13915466 03/08/21 10:47 PM
K
KidKrappie Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
K
I fished DC today and caught well over 60. Most were on jigs. Few on a roostertail. Fish are not everywhere but when you find them, it is easy. Most I saw on a stringer today was 8. Most said it was slow.

Re: Denton Creek 2021 [Re: KidKrappie] #13915476 03/08/21 10:51 PM
B
Bumblebee488 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Originally Posted by fishin'aholic2
I fished DC today and caught well over 60. Most were on jigs. Few on a roostertail. Fish are not everywhere but when you find them, it is easy. Most I saw on a stringer today was 8. Most said it was slow.

ditto. didn't have any luck on the rooster tail this weekend, but had much better luck on jigs.

Re: Denton Creek 2021 [Re: prosise] #13915795 03/09/21 02:39 AM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Fishing today was good.. VERY IMPORTANT: I am bumping the bottom with the lipless crankbait, slowly reeling it off the bottom doesn't do diddly.. No need for a fishing update, as the fish are everywhere. I started at the Log pile and caught one, then moved up to about 200 yards down from the water treatment branch. From this area I worked up to the next gravel bed. All my fish except about 4 were in this stretch. The picture below, the area marked with yellow is where I fished. I stayed away from any timber, as I didn't want to fool with hang-ups. It is easy to get to with a boat, and I didn't get hung up except for one time. I still fished the jig, and the alternate rattle type bait. The jig still got bites, but I missed a ton of fish. Caught 4 on a jig, and over 60ish with the little rattle lipless crankbait. I may post a video, but not that interested in making a video right now. Eating a good dinner, and about to play some gin with Mason.

The picture below, the yellow area is where I fished. It wasn't like yesterday, when you found them it was fast. Then you had to keep looking, but the area I highlighted was good. Also, caught one gaspergoo..

The baits below: The top is the lure I used yesterday, the bottom one is the one I picked up at Academy. Works just as well. Talked to a man who reads TFF, and was pleasantly rewarded with a kind gesture on the fishing report.. Much appreciated... God bless all, whatever you are fishing with buy extra baits and get those kids out to catch some fish. I did real well casting to the middle of the creek and slowly reeling it back to the canoe..

Note: talked to a man about 1/4 mile below the 377 bridge at 12pm and he had 12 on the stringer. On my way back I stopped at the bend above the 377 bridge that has the chunky rocks and caught one on a jig.. No need to kill yourself going way up, just be patient and you will catch fish. Canoe, kayak, or boat will excel because you can work your way up the banks..

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Forgot to add..
[Linked Image]

Last edited by prosise; 03/09/21 01:09 PM.
Re: Denton Creek 2021 [Re: prosise] #13916557 03/09/21 06:09 PM
B
Bradley McCaw Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
What are water levels looking like? How far back can a boat get?

Re: Denton Creek 2021 [Re: prosise] #13916570 03/09/21 06:23 PM
T
T- Gil Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Just watched most of the video. Man, you were in 'em! Couple of questions: How fast does the motor push that canoe and what camera are you filming with?

[Linked Image]

TEAM HUMDINGER

1st teach a child to love God, teach him second to love Family, 3rd teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. CC

"Una Stamus"
Re: Denton Creek 2021 [Re: prosise] #13917140 03/10/21 03:37 AM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
1990's suzuki 2hp @ 6.5mph. Camera is a miufly bodycam. Have a gopro but the bodycam battery lasts for over 6 hours. Bodycam on Amazon

Boat can get close to the hole, but not to it. I fished some of the same area I fished yesterday, then worked spots with gravel down past the 377 bridge. Little tougher fishing today, caught 32. Cloudy conditions may have something to do with it. Talked to a couple guys in a jet drive, game warden up at the hole area checking things out. Still not seeing any bait up the creek.. Thought we might be a couple weeks out, but we might be more.. Just don't know right now. Catching fish, but I am focusing on areas way before the area near Henrietta.. Didn't get close to it today. Plenty of people up there, focusing on the fish moving up. Talked briefly with a heck of a fisherman from youtube, he was heading up. Time will tell.. Thinking about going up early, will see..

Prosise

Last edited by prosise; 03/10/21 03:38 AM.
Re: Denton Creek 2021 [Re: prosise] #13917436 03/10/21 02:15 PM
T
Treadlightly2 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Man I wish I could launch my kayak at 377. Too old for that though I think. I watched a young fellow do it one time and he said he would never do it again. Even with a good dolly it's a beast. My wilderness system 12 footer is old school paddle only. Might try to adapt some kind of propulsion. A tow from the ramp to the bridge would be nice.

Re: Denton Creek 2021 [Re: Treadlightly2] #13917609 03/10/21 04:15 PM
G
greatbigmerc Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
Is there anywhere to legally park on the side of the road on 377; or anywhere that you could launch a kayak/canoe (if you were ambitious)?

Re: Denton Creek 2021 [Re: prosise] #13918401 03/11/21 02:37 AM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
You can drop your Kayak or Canoe off here Google Map location and then drive your car down to this area Google map location. You can drag your canoe or Kayak down to the land locked water and paddle down to the edge of Denton Creek. You will have to drag your (canoe/kayak) over a big dirt birm to get to the creek. This will save you about 6.5 miles from the Trophy Club ramp. But I am here to tell you, this is some wicked hard work getting your stuff back of this hill. I have done it for many years, but it will make an ashiest pray from the work pulling up the hill. There is really not a easy way to do it. When the fishing gets better I would recommend someone dropping you off at the I-35 bridge, and then picking you up at the 377 bridge. Either way you are going to really do some work getting your stuff out of the creek..

Now for the Good and the Bad.

Good news is I caught allot of fish today (just over 100), Correction (page 2 about half way down) the right arm going up at the Hole. I do not want to mislead anyone as below Henrietta Hole fishing is slow and "work". I will put a video together but I want to make you aware that below the hole you are going to work.. I think I figured out the reason why this spot is doing so good. The creek is low, and the step going above Henrietta Hole is very long and shallow. I do not think many fish are going up this step right now. Their is a big traffic jam of sandbass in this spot and they are not going up.. I fished the hole above this step, and the next above this and nothing. So, if you want fish get to the spot I am fishing and you will limit out. However, you cannot get to this spot with a Jet drive. There is a tree in the way going to the Hole, and it is too shallow. I dragged my canoe up with no problem, and this was the the fourth day I launched at TC ramp and drove up with the Suzuki 2hp. It is about 7-8 miles on water, and takes me an hour. Fishing below the Hole is really not worth the trouble right now.. Might need to wait for a bit to see how it goes. I did see a big sandbass that was dead just below the Big Log Jam, I sliced it and it had eggs.. Also talked to a young man who said he caught some females, I have caught some that were small but really fat. I think they just might be females. I will add a pic of female I found. Not going to rave about the numbers I caught, because it is not an actual representation of the creek at this point. Fishing shut down about 1pm, and I mean turned off. I am curious of the lunar chart, as it was very strange to have such high numbers and then turn off.. Anyhoo, take care all. Mason will be running the show come sunday, so will post what we find..

Now, for the interesting idea i have.. I am thinking the fish might be going into Elizabeth branch so if anybody is working this are please post some info. The water is really clear.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by prosise; 03/11/21 11:18 AM.
Re: Denton Creek 2021 [Re: prosise] #13918467 03/11/21 03:25 AM
W
Windbreaker Online Content
Angler
Online Content
Angler
W
Noob here...what exactly is the Henrietta Hole? Is that a pub in Henrietta?

[Linked Image]
Re: Denton Creek 2021 [Re: Windbreaker] #13918471 03/11/21 03:28 AM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Originally Posted by Windbreaker
Noob here...what exactly is the Henrietta Hole? Is that a pub in Henrietta?

https://maps.app.goo.gl/nVUzT17TzkwgaG1m9

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide