Forums59
Topics1,038,929
Posts13,955,628
Members144,183
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Livescope dominating tournaments, should practice be elminated, mystery lake option? [Re: SC-001] #13912011 03/05/21 04:25 PM
J
J.H.S. Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
I think what we are going to see is instead of a small group of fish being really pressured in our lakes, a much larger population of fish will now be pressured. I think we are seeing it have great success now, but this will make our lakes tougher to fish.

Live Daringly, Boldy, and Fearlessly....Embrace the Challenge So That You May Feel the Exhiliration of Victory.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Livescope dominating tournaments, should practice be elminated, mystery lake option? [Re: shotgunwilly] #13912015 03/05/21 04:27 PM
Mark Perry Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
Originally Posted by shotgunwilly
Same thing was said about Side Imaging.

I'm sure the same thing was said about the first sonar.

It will just be another tool, everyone will get it at some point. (Just like every basic graph has side imaging now.)

You're seeing exaggerated early success because of unpressured suspending fish. (although this isn't the only situation that it can be used.) And that will change as more do it. And if you think it's as easy as putting it on your boat and going out and loading the boat, then you're in for a surprise. There's still tons of people who don't know how to properly use the side imaging sonar that's on their boat.

Yep. People always wanting to regulate boat length, boat type, HP, off limits, and lures used etc. Next year it will be something else someone wants to limit. You nailed it, many will never buy or if they do buy will not take time to learn it.

Re: Livescope dominating tournaments, should practice be elminated, mystery lake option? [Re: tmd11111] #13912037 03/05/21 04:42 PM
Sinkey Online Content
Tidy Scoop
Online Content
Tidy Scoop
Originally Posted by tmd11111
Originally Posted by B52
Originally Posted by Sinkey
I can see it going in a direction where tournaments put some kind of restriction on it.

+1

Very doubtful. Pro circuits need the sponsorship $$$$$$$$$$

I completely agree with you on that. But what livescoping is, is not fishing. Its like playing Xbox. Though its very fun, its making guys look like unbelievable anglers that are in reality, just average. Which means, you take livescope away from them in a tournament. They have to actually fish the "True" conditions of the lake. Make adjustments due to conditions.
If you watched what Walters did on Fork with it. He followed 1 fish around for almost an hour messing with it til it bit. Basically "sight fishing".

Re: Livescope dominating tournaments, should practice be elminated, mystery lake option? [Re: SC-001] #13912040 03/05/21 04:44 PM
Bissett Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
I fell like since it's available to everybody, they shouldn't ban it from tournaments. just my 0.02

Re: Livescope dominating tournaments, should practice be elminated, mystery lake option? [Re: Sinkey] #13912075 03/05/21 04:59 PM
L
Lone_Wolf Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
Originally Posted by tmd11111
Originally Posted by B52
I can see it going in a direction where tournaments put some kind of restriction on it.

+1

Very doubtful. Pro circuits need the sponsorship $$$$$$$$$$

I completely agree with you on that. But what livescoping is, is not fishing. Its like playing Xbox. Though its very fun, its making guys look like unbelievable anglers that are in reality, just average. Which means, you take livescope away from them in a tournament. They have to actually fish the "True" conditions of the lake. Make adjustments due to conditions.
If you watched what Walters did on Fork with it. He followed 1 fish around for almost an hour messing with it til it bit. Basically "sight fishing".

Its more hunting than fishing.

Re: Livescope dominating tournaments, should practice be elminated, mystery lake option? [Re: shotgunwilly] #13912084 03/05/21 05:05 PM
Outdoordude Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by shotgunwilly
Same thing was said about Side Imaging.

I'm sure the same thing was said about the first sonar.

It will just be another tool, everyone will get it at some point. (Just like every basic graph has side imaging now.)

You're seeing exaggerated early success because of unpressured suspending fish. (although this isn't the only situation that it can be used.) And that will change as more do it. And if you think it's as easy as putting it on your boat and going out and loading the boat, then you're in for a surprise. There's still tons of people who don't know how to properly use the side imaging sonar that's on their boat.

I had a big eloquent response ready, and shotgun beat me to it. Agree 100%

Scott Jones
Re: Livescope dominating tournaments, should practice be elminated, mystery lake option? [Re: SC-001] #13912098 03/05/21 05:14 PM
dillydilly24 Offline
Angler
Angler
Gussy just went wire to wire and beat Walters by 35 pounds using 2D and down imaging..... you still have to find the fish, understand the technology enough to know exactly what you’re looking at(something 90 percent of anglers won’t do) and make the necessary adjustments to catch said fish. This is being blown out of proportion because of what just happened on Ivie and quite frankly the odds are overwhelming that we won’t see that again for a long time, maybe ever. It was a perfect storm. I don’t know Derrick Mundy but every picture I’ve seen has been nothing but humminbird graphs on his boat. When’s the last time we saw someone do what he did? And he did that on a lake that gets exponentially more pressure than Ivie did a month ago. I’m sure someone on here knows Brian Shook and Danny Iles, were they using livescope when they caught 50 pounds in TTT? Looked to me like nothing but Lowrance on their boats but I couldn’t tell. Livescope is another tool in the box.

Life�s a garden, dig it
Re: Livescope dominating tournaments, should practice be elminated, mystery lake option? [Re: Brent S] #13912106 03/05/21 05:20 PM
D
Dubee Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by B52
Originally Posted by Dubee
Originally Posted by SC-001
I am following this Bassmaster open and MLF regional tournament being dominated by live forward facing sonar and thinking did MLF get this right with their mystery lake cup format with no practice. I am not arguing every fish vs. best 5 format, either would work with the mystery lake scenario. With this new sonar tech a traditional tournament becomes a hunting tournament to whoever gets there first. The old cliche from the past 15 years is its a game changer, well livescope may have changed this game more than any piece of equipment in the sports short history, and we're watching that happen at warp speed. I know some have argued this sonar will only play at certain times of the year, when its cold/in the fall etc. but we will see, wait unitl we see guys during the spawn start targeting deep bed fish you used to could not see smirk Yes you still have to figure out how to get them to bite but forward facing sonar definitely makes it easier and in my mind, itt takes much of the intuition and skill out of it. In a nutshell it makes it more about the arrow and not the indian when you can practice days with livescope. Could we see practice becoming more limited or even eliminated in some tournaments in the future???

I guess I'm missing the article's. Where are you seeing that these tournaments are being dominated by livescope?

Patrick Walters said at the current Bassmaster Open that he picked up and threw a rattle trap. He noticed two fish following it on livescope, so he decided to slow down and throw the trap and a jerkbait to get his 24 lbs and the day 1 lead.

I saw that article. But it said he saw 2 fish follow. Then caught them on a trap and jerkbait. He didn't say he saw all the fish he caught. I wouldn't call the as live scope is dominating. And I haven't seen anything that said the leaders are using live scope in the Toyota series

Re: Livescope dominating tournaments, should practice be elminated, mystery lake option? [Re: Dubee] #13912119 03/05/21 05:26 PM
S
SC-001 Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
S

I saw that article. But it said he saw 2 fish follow. Then caught them on a trap and jerkbait. He didn't say he saw all the fish he caught. I wouldn't call the as live scope is dominating. And I haven't seen anything that said the leaders are using live scope in the Toyota series

Walters is definitely using it, the guy leading the Toyota all I could find it says he is catching them on an A-rig backed off the dam in deeper water, I would guess its very likely he's scoping them too.

Originally Posted by dillydilly24
Gussy just went wire to wire and beat Walters by 35 pounds using 2D and down imaging..... you still have to find the fish, understand the technology enough to know exactly what you’re looking at(something 90 percent of anglers won’t do) and make the necessary adjustments to catch said fish. This is being blown out of proportion because of what just happened on Ivie and quite frankly the odds are overwhelming that we won’t see that again for a long time, maybe ever. It was a perfect storm. I don’t know Derrick Mundy but every picture I’ve seen has been nothing but humminbird graphs on his boat. When’s the last time we saw someone do what he did? And he did that on a lake that gets exponentially more pressure than Ivie did a month ago. I’m sure someone on here knows Brian Shook and Danny Iles, were they using livescope when they caught 50 pounds in TTT? Looked to me like nothing but Lowrance on their boats but I couldn’t tell. Livescope is another tool in the box.

I am more referring to Tour and AAA events, the Gussy deal yeah but he was also chocking his trolling motor to look at those fish, the lower level tournaments your referring too (never heard any of those guys names) it will trickle down eventually but I wouldn't expect those to be as affected yet.

Last edited by SC-001; 03/05/21 05:34 PM.
Re: Livescope dominating tournaments, should practice be elminated, mystery lake option? [Re: SC-001] #13912126 03/05/21 05:34 PM
D
Dubee Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by SC-001

Walters is definitely using it, the guy leading the Toyota all I could find it says he is catching them on an A-rig backed off the dam in deeper water, I would guess its very likely he's scoping them too.

So you are just guessing. That's all I was trying to find out. Your assuming Walters is catching all of his fish using it because of who he is. You are assuming the Toyota series leader is catching all his using it because he is throwing an arig

Re: Livescope dominating tournaments, should practice be elminated, mystery lake option? [Re: SC-001] #13912138 03/05/21 05:49 PM
S
SC-001 Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
S
Redcrest was just won with it, Fork elite series was won with it, not just referring to the two AAA events going on today.

Re: Livescope dominating tournaments, should practice be elminated, mystery lake option? [Re: SC-001] #13912178 03/05/21 06:39 PM
B
boyd1002 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
I think if you gave a lie detector to all of the Elite/MLF anglers, 100% would say you cannot 'consistently' compete without it. Can you win and cash a check here and there - yes, for now. As these guys get better and better with it, you will not. We have already heard guys like Swindle and BMP say that you have no chance up north without it. It will only become more necessary. Im not saying it should be banned, but it is the reality.

My biggest gripe is the inconsistency. This was BASS' quote regarding banning the Alabama Rig “It’s a legitimate and ethical way to catch fish, but we hold professional anglers to a higher standard,” said David Precht, a spokesman for BASS. “Their argument — and I want to emphasize it’s not our argument — the anglers feel that sometimes it can be too effective and it takes away some of the skill in what is a traditional tournament.

Re: Livescope dominating tournaments, should practice be elminated, mystery lake option? [Re: SC-001] #13912179 03/05/21 06:40 PM
David Welcher Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
It's just a tool, you got to learn how to use it, and then you got to make them want to eat it at times. And if you can't make em eat it you got to move on. You can literally pull up to a school of fish, drop the bait down to them and they won't eat it. Those situations will just humble you. Yes you are sight fishing, but all of you have seen those days when the fish on the bed will just not bite. When you fish a 8 hour tournament and you have been fishing for 5 hours and have one small keeper in the livewell and you just stumble on a huge bass on a bed and spend 2 hours trying to catch that one bass what good does it do you to keep fishing fishing for him if you run out of time? And then there's the time when you see the fish, you cast to it and he smashes it. What livescope does is cut down 350 cast of which 95% are to areas where there are no fish to 50 casts where the fish are. Another frustrating thing is when the fish moves out of the cone of view, the amount of time you spend looking for the fish out weighs the casting. Your neck gets sore from looking down. I've raised mine up 28" in the air because of it. It looks funny it's so high in the air. I've been to several crappie seminars and they are so worried the population is going to be wiped out. I can promise you there are more fish out there that don't bite your lures than there are that will. It's fishing with a better sonar, it's not catching. You guys who are going out and buying it thinking your are going to smash them are in for a rude awakening. It's just not as simple as you think. Nothing, is better than than time on the water, and you all know that, what you all saw on Ivey two weeks ago was special, those guys have about 2 years of experience using livescope and have numerous trips with failures that you don't see.

Re: Livescope dominating tournaments, should practice be elminated, mystery lake option? [Re: SC-001] #13912219 03/05/21 07:11 PM
Bruce Allen Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Dubee Elite at Fork in November and MLF Redcrest in February

MLF 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th using the forward facing sonar looking at brush piles.

Elite looking into standing timber to pick out the best fish for 105 lbs

Lake Fork Anglers
Every Thursday
Daytime Tournaments.

Lake Fork Sportsman's Association
www.lakeforksa.com/

We are VERY PROUD of our Induction into the
Texas Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame.

Re: Livescope dominating tournaments, should practice be elminated, mystery lake option? [Re: SC-001] #13912234 03/05/21 07:21 PM
P
PickensTJ Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
I am not against it; am looking to get my own setup as I type. But, I do anticipate the roar will get very loud when one of these guys wins by catching bedding fish in muddy water using it.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide