Print Thread
Rookie Crappie #13910016 03/04/21 01:08 AM
M
Merkdog Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
M
So I'm just getting into crappie fishing and having a blast but not a ton of luck. Been hitting local ponds around Prosper and Frisco. Anything I do catch is more luck than skill at this point. Also have a slip on Lewisville Lake but haven't tried fishing there yet. I've mainly been throwing strike king sausage head and spin baby's. Also started using minnows.

I'm catching them here and there but nothing is consistent. I've read they are normally in a school and where you catch one, you'll find more but hasn't been the case. I been out a various times of day also. What can I do to be more successful? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Rookie Crappie [Re: Merkdog] #13910724 03/04/21 05:10 PM
K
Ken Gaby Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
K
There's so much to cover about crappie fishing, technique, locations, ect. Right before the spawn is a tough time to locate fish. They are moving every day and night. You're not the only person having difficulty locating crappie right now. And the recent arctic weather didn't help; disrupted the spring pattern totally. Things just now beginning to return to some type normalcy on some lakes. My best advice is hire a guide for one trip and ask a lot of questions or find someone willing to take you out and teach you. Fishing will get more consistent once the spawn has tapered off, first of May and going forward. Don't get discouraged. Plenty of seasoned fishermen struggle this time of year.

A life without God is like an unsharpened pencil, it has no point. Billy Graham
www.thermoclinelures.com "Helping YOU catch MORE & LARGER fish!"
http://www.crazyanglertackle.com Premium crappie baits and jig tying accessories
http://www.proanglertackle.com Best crappie and catfish rods/reels
http://www.beereadys.com World's Best Rod Holders
Re: Rookie Crappie [Re: Ken Gaby] #13910869 03/04/21 07:26 PM
banker-always fishing Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Originally Posted by Ken Gaby
There's so much to cover about crappie fishing, technique, locations, ect. Right before the spawn is a tough time to locate fish. They are moving every day and night. You're not the only person having difficulty locating crappie right now. And the recent arctic weather didn't help; disrupted the spring pattern totally. Things just now beginning to return to some type normalcy on some lakes. My best advice is hire a guide for one trip and ask a lot of questions or find someone willing to take you out and teach you. Fishing will get more consistent once the spawn has tapered off, first of May and going forward. Don't get discouraged. Plenty of seasoned fishermen struggle this time of year.

Plus #1. Also Crappie have patterns during fall, spring, summer, and winter ! I would suggest fishing with a guide and explain to him that you want a learning session. You can pick up some basic skills and learn about crappie. Also welcome to the TFF! thumb

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Rookie Crappie [Re: Ken Gaby] #13911212 03/05/21 12:18 AM
M
Merkdog Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
M
Makes sense. Thanks for replies.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide