Forums59
Topics1,038,939
Posts13,955,888
Members144,183
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Article: Are Oklahoma Bowfishers Killing Too Many Fish? Why Wildlife Department is Considering More Protection [Re: TXMulti-Species] #13883926 02/12/21 02:10 AM
T
TXMulti-Species Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
soap

Catch and release. The dream - to catch one of every species of Freshwater fish in our great state! If only I can resist Carp...
https://txmultispecies.imgur.com/
[Linked Image]
Re: Article: Are Oklahoma Bowfishers Killing Too Many Fish? Why Wildlife Department is Considering More Protection [Re: rickt300] #13883946 02/12/21 02:24 AM
T
TXMulti-Species Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted by rickt300
Originally Posted by TXMulti-Species
Historically, most state wildlife agencies have believed the lesser-desired rough fish should just be removed from lakes and rivers to improve the angling opportunities for sport fish, Bolton told commissioners.

"We have come to believe a little differently on that," he said.

Leave the big ones but do some good instead of sniveling about bow fisherman who are actually doing the lakes favors.
See above. Bowfishermen are not doing the lakes any favors.

watch these guys lovingly handle a carp, take a selfie and gently return it back into the lake. It is like trying to reason with a democrat.
I don't see the problem here, and I fail to see how political affiliation is relevant. I'm no Democrat.

I notice the article is oriented toward native fish such as the Buffalo and river carpsuckers not carp.
Yes it's targeted towards native species and to be honest those are the ones I'm most passionate about - Carp come in at a close second though!

Sure I would like to see limits on Buffs but I would also like to see here in TX a rule made that every carp caught under ten pounds be retained and a limit on how many over ten pounds can be retained. I want this rule to include anyone who catches these fish either with a bow or rod and reel. Would you quit carp fishing if you had to keep all you caught? Carp are not a native species.
The State can't even force you to keep/kill invasive Bighead, Silver, or Grass Carp, why would they force you to keep or kill Common Carp which have been here since the 1800s, have become naturalized, and are never going to be eradicated? Catch and release fishing is performed for many different species, why is it that I'm demonized simply because I target a different fish?

Catch and release. The dream - to catch one of every species of Freshwater fish in our great state! If only I can resist Carp...
https://txmultispecies.imgur.com/
[Linked Image]
Re: Article: Are Oklahoma Bowfishers Killing Too Many Fish? Why Wildlife Department is Considering More Protection [Re: Uncle Zeek] #13883968 02/12/21 02:49 AM
O
Osbornfishing Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
O
Originally Posted by Uncle Zeek
Had to look twice at this photo - at first I thought you had the fly rod stuck in your hair.

Originally Posted by Osbornfishing
[Linked Image]

I stuck the rod up there to get my fly rod in the picture. It didn’t work out like I had hoped. bang

Re: Article: Are Oklahoma Bowfishers Killing Too Many Fish? Why Wildlife Department is Considering More Protection [Re: rickt300] #13884371 02/12/21 03:13 PM
Uncle Zeek Offline
aka "Dad"
aka "Dad"
Originally Posted by TXMulti-Species
Originally Posted by Uncle Zeek
Not really sure who this Woodward feller is, but I have great difficulty believing that fish shot with an arrow have a 65 percent survival rate when thrown back. Certainly, SOME will survive, but I don't believe it's anywhere near that many. Even if we accept his figure, it means intentionally wasting 35% of the fish he shoots.

Unconscionable. You don't waste the fish you kill - you eat them.

"Right now, we can dump fish back in as we go down the bank and shoot them," Woodward said. "About 65 percent of those fish will live but he's wanting to force us to put them in a bucket and we can't throw nothing back until we are done bowfishing, which means death to everything. There is no chance they can live."

"People will quit going if they have to keep all their fish, for sure," he said.
hammer

Would you quit carp fishing if you had to keep all you caught? Carp are not a native species.

If I were to ever take up bowfishing, I wouldn't shoot a ton of carp, buffalo, or gar in a day and leave them to waste, nor would I toss dying fish back in the lake. I'd keep the ones I shot, stop at some reasonable level, and probably use the carp & buffalo for cat food. The gar I'd eat - they're tasty.

"Decency is not news; it is buried in the obituaries --but it is a force stronger than crime" ~ Robert A. Heinlein
Artim Law Firm, PLLC
Estate planning & tax attorney
2250 Morriss Road, Suite 205, Flower Mound, Texas 75028
972-746-0758 mobile
zac@artimlegal.com
Re: Article: Are Oklahoma Bowfishers Killing Too Many Fish? Why Wildlife Department is Considering More Protection [Re: TXMulti-Species] #13908962 03/03/21 12:29 PM
D
dmunsie Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Bow Fishing to fill your freezer with food for the table is a good thing. Bow Killing with the mindset of just killing is a bad thing. Limits on big carp, buffalo, gar regardless how to take them, is a good thing.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide