Re: Just a matter of time [Re: Dropshottin] #13906001 03/01/21 01:09 AM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by Dropshottin
Those advanced electronics are pushing a lot of anglers out of tournaments. I don't have the money for those higher tech units, and fishing against guys who do just puts you at a huge disadvantage. Yes, for the pros who can all afford it I guess it is ok, but it feel they are kind of bad for bass fishing. Whatever happened to finding them on your own, or putting time on a lake so you could become familiar... now it's just ride around till you see some spots on your screen and then stop and video game fish... I am not saying that any idiot can do it even with those type of finders, I am just saying that it is a lot harder to go out and actually have to search and put patterns together.

I know a guy that didn’t have a boat. His wife wouldn’t let him spend the money on one. So he fished the Bassmaster Opens trying to win one. He didn’t. But he won enough to buy a cheap boat. Then he fished every little tourney he could until he could afford to upgrade to a better, bigger boat. Then he won some more and bought an Ultrex, some power poles, some newer graphs, and better gear. He won some more recently and bought all new rods and reels and Active Target. Finally.

If you want the gear....fish to win and buy it. Ain’t nobody holding you back but your own excuses.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Just a matter of time [Re: Jarrett Latta] #13906010 03/01/21 01:13 AM
Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life) Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Jarrett Latta
It won't be banned. Everyone has the same opportunity to buy it and learn it. Just like sight fishing, everyone has the opportunity to do it but very few actually can.

Exactly everyone can learn it if they want too. It’s like the damn a-rig everyone thought it was magic then people realized that you have to still know what your doing to use it.

It will be a cold day in hell when Texas decides to have “bass” season like the northern states.

Good thing about it like some people have mentioned “if you don’t like it don’t use it”

Re: Just a matter of time [Re: SteezMacQueen] #13906012 03/01/21 01:15 AM
Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life) Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
Those advanced electronics are pushing a lot of anglers out of tournaments. I don't have the money for those higher tech units, and fishing against guys who do just puts you at a huge disadvantage. Yes, for the pros who can all afford it I guess it is ok, but it feel they are kind of bad for bass fishing. Whatever happened to finding them on your own, or putting time on a lake so you could become familiar... now it's just ride around till you see some spots on your screen and then stop and video game fish... I am not saying that any idiot can do it even with those type of finders, I am just saying that it is a lot harder to go out and actually have to search and put patterns together.

I know a guy that didn’t have a boat. His wife wouldn’t let him spend the money on one. So he fished the Bassmaster Opens trying to win one. He didn’t. But he won enough to buy a cheap boat. Then he fished every little tourney he could until he could afford to upgrade to a better, bigger boat. Then he won some more and bought an Ultrex, some power poles, some newer graphs, and better gear. He won some more recently and bought all new rods and reels and Active Target. Finally.

If you want the gear....fish to win and buy it. Ain’t nobody holding you back but your own excuses.

Great post Steez.

Not having certain equipment isn’t a reason not to tournament fish.

Re: Just a matter of time [Re: beartrap] #13906034 03/01/21 01:27 AM
D
Dropshottin Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
I agree it won't be banned, fishing is more of a business than it is a pass time. but I do not agree that everyone has the opportunity to buy that stuff. Some of those graphs cost more than my boat and everything in it.. And, I didn't say I don't fish against those guys... I do.. and I lose .lol... BUT.. I do it for the social aspect of it.. the experience. And the tourneys I fish might be 50 for entry... small working man stuff... And I did not know they let you fish them bass master opens from shore... lo. Kidding I get it..

Still though, watching a 70k boat pull up to the tourney with screens I would watch football on is a little gut wrenching lol..

Re: Just a matter of time [Re: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)] #13906046 03/01/21 01:34 AM
J
jbcarroll3000 Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted by Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)
Believe me when I tell you that it isn’t that easy. I have live scope and in 5 trips I have yet to manage to catch a fish I saw on it.

I think this is an important point too. There will be varying levels of skill in interpreting this stuff and using it, just like there is with sonar and side imaging. I think it's going to take more time on the water and practice than most think to get good at it.

Re: Just a matter of time [Re: Dropshottin] #13906053 03/01/21 01:41 AM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
I agree it won't be banned, fishing is more of a business than it is a pass time. but I do not agree that everyone has the opportunity to buy that stuff. Some of those graphs cost more than my boat and everything in it.. And, I didn't say I don't fish against those guys... I do.. and I lose .lol... BUT.. I do it for the social aspect of it.. the experience. And the tourneys I fish might be 50 for entry... small working man stuff... And I did not know they let you fish them bass master opens from shore... lo. Kidding I get it..

Still though, watching a 70k boat pull up to the tourney with screens I would watch football on is a little gut wrenching lol..

Take it as a challenge. I do. My screens are 7”. Both of them. roflmao
I won a tourney yesterday and I had, honestly, the least expensive boat out of all 50 guys. None of them asked me how my boat caught the fish. Most of the guys had 20-21 ft boats with at least 3 12” screens and 250’s on the back. I don’t even notice them anymore. I don’t feel at a disadvantage, unless it’s blowing 20+ on a big, open lake. Then it’s tough. If you get over the intimidation hurdle from looking at their boats and gear, it’s easier to focus on the fishing.

Don’t let it get in your head. Set goals and go.

Edit.

When I put that $2800 Ultrex on my Nitro 640....it cost more than I paid for the boat. And guys laughed. And I won. And now that same Ultrex is on a 19ft Skeeter that they bought me. Unknowingly. cheers

Last edited by SteezMacQueen; 03/01/21 01:46 AM.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Just a matter of time [Re: Dropshottin] #13906086 03/01/21 02:02 AM
B
Bobby Jones Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
B
I suppose you still use a flasher ???

Re: Just a matter of time [Re: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)] #13906089 03/01/21 02:07 AM
S
SC-001 Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen

If you want the gear....fish to win and buy it.

It won't be banned. Everyone has the same opportunity to buy it and learn it. Just like sight fishing, everyone has the opportunity to do it but very few actually can.

Exactly everyone can learn it if they want too. It’s like the damn a-rig everyone thought it was magic then people realized that you have to still know what your doing to use it.

It will be a cold day in hell when Texas decides to have “bass” season like the northern states.

Good thing about it like some people have mentioned “if you don’t like it don’t use it”

If the population goes up enough and the angling pressure goes up enough to match that and negatively affect the quality of fishing enough a northern type season would happen, TPWD already close seasons on the coast, but I don't think either will happen.

Re: Just a matter of time [Re: Dropshottin] #13906120 03/01/21 02:36 AM
T
Txduckhunter Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
T

I

Imo, if this is how you feel - you've lost before you ever put the boat in the water.

Re: Just a matter of time [Re: beartrap] #13906126 03/01/21 02:40 AM
dillydilly24 Offline
Angler
Angler
If it’s as easy as putting livescope or active target on the front of your boat and you’re suddenly at this massive advantage over the field, then make it rain with the credit card if you can’t afford it and you should get paid back pretty quickly. Truth is, it’s not. It’s still a technology you have to learn and be efficient with and the guys that take the time to learn it and be proficient with it will consistently perform better on the water than those that don’t. I didn’t watch all of it, but it looked like Gussy won 100k this week using traditional 2D for the most part.

Life�s a garden, dig it
Re: Just a matter of time [Re: beartrap] #13906230 03/01/21 04:25 AM
C
cephusjoe Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
C
I’m not saying it’s easy... however, in 10 years when everyone knows how to use it, or the boats come equipped with live scan at 30 mph mounted at the transom with heat seeking radars.... where do we draw the line as anglers? Essentially, these are underwater cameras but better.

Mcurtain county okie
Re: Just a matter of time [Re: cephusjoe] #13906249 03/01/21 04:54 AM
dillydilly24 Offline
Angler
Angler
We’ll just keep adapting and overcoming. 15 years ago you could sink 20 brush piles and have a pretty good chance at keeping the majority a secret. Then sidescan came along and the thought of a secret brush pile is almost unheard of. It’s just part of fishing and always will be. I personally think the stuff is awesome. I’ve never met a fisherman that isn’t always chasing that new PB and all this is is a tool to help people achieve that. The skills and knowledge people are talking about becoming irrelevant aren’t going to be irrelevant at all. I can’t go drop my trolling motor in the middle of the lake and use livescope and compete with someone that has knowledge of the lake, put their time in and patterned that same lake. We just saw the perfect storm and all the stars align and watched a few dudes do something on Ivie that we will probably never see again and a lot of guys are jumping on the anti livescope bandwagon because of it. There were a lot of guys that just got their [censored] kicked on the Tennessee river that are running livescope. It’s just another tool in the toolbox

Life�s a garden, dig it
Re: Just a matter of time [Re: beartrap] #13906413 03/01/21 02:20 PM
S
steven gillock Offline
Angler
Angler
S
I have nothing against video fishing but I believe there should be a rule made on foul hooked (snagged) fish since this can be classified as sight fishing.

Re: Just a matter of time [Re: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)] #13906543 03/01/21 04:11 PM
B
boyd1002 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B

.... and yet... the Arig IS banned

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide