Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Skipping #13905312 02/28/21 03:39 PM
ReelSlow Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
For the last year I have been obsessed with getting better at skipping. I've practiced at my stock tanks and swimming pool for hours and hours. I simulate the distance from my feet to the water with a box I built, you name it I've tried it. I've experimented with everything from ML spinning gear skipping weightless worms to a Heavy Fast 7'6" flipping stick skipping 3/4 oz jigs with a beaver trailer and everything in between. My go to has become a 7'1" MH fast tip rod and a 1/2 oz jig with whatever trailer i want. YRMV

I'm far from being the stick most of you guys are, however I learned something many years ago about throwing a loop at a running steer that has stuck with me ever since. FEEL THE WEIGHT ON YOUR FINGERTIPS.

If you focus on feeling the weight of the lure, or rope, or club head, you will eventually learn to control the RELEASE POINT with precision. Not the weight in you hand, narrow it down to feeling it in your fingertips. That is where the control begins. That sensory input into your FINGERTIPS is a direct signal to the brain as to exactly what that bait, rope or clubbed is doing, and where it is and exactly where that release point is.

And like every video ever made on skipping, look at a specific small target and let er rip.

Hope this helps someone trying to learn or get better. I've learned a lot from YOU guys Thanks

GOD is good!
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Skipping [Re: ReelSlow] #13905325 02/28/21 03:47 PM
D
Dan21XRS Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
D
That's something I've got to get good at also... Dan

"The problem with having a sense of humor is often that people you use it on aren't in a very good mood"...
Lou Holtz
Re: Skipping [Re: ReelSlow] #13905415 02/28/21 05:06 PM
fivebites Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Since I couldn't catch a cold yesterday I spent a good deal of my day...um...practicing! Set up is the key. Tried out 5 or 6 with multiple baits and finally got 2 really dialed in. I could skip all the way to the back of most of the docks I was fishing. One with a weightless senko and one with a jig. Too stiff a rod will not be your friend on this deal!

2019 Chevy Tahoe
2018 Basscat Eyra 250 Proxs
PB Wife of 32 years!
PB Largemouth 9.56 Ray Roberts
Re: Skipping [Re: ReelSlow] #13905480 02/28/21 05:46 PM
A
Alan Online Content
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
A
Do you set up your reels loose or tight. I can't skip either way. I can skip with a spinning reel.

2000 518dvx
200 efi Mercury
Re: Skipping [Re: ReelSlow] #13905486 02/28/21 05:53 PM
Donald Harper Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Excellent post. Thanks for sharing.

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Re: Skipping [Re: Alan] #13905699 02/28/21 08:34 PM
fivebites Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted by Alan
Do you set up your reels loose or tight. I can't skip either way. I can skip with a spinning reel.

I keep mine real loose, but some others may say differently. If you're just getting started or trying to improve (which I definitely needed), here a few things that helped me.

1) Strip off about 25-30 yards of line and put on either some electrical tape or painters blue tape (I like it better) on your spool so if, sorry, WHEN you get a backlash it's not all the way down in the spool.
2) If you're just starting try to practice when it's pretty calm and in relatively open water so you don't have to skip your bait under something right away. Less likely to hit the dock and cause a backlash until you get the feel of it.
3) Remember what skipping a rock in a pond was like? It's mainly about the rod angle. If you were trying to skip a rock and it hit 3 feet in front of you...it didn't skip at all. If you got your arm angle low and parallel to the water it would skip pretty good. If you threw it out 15 or 20 yards (unless you threw it really hard) it was too far away and wouldn't skip. So there's kind of an optimum distance from where your rod tip is and where you want the bait to land.
4) This was probably my biggest error. Don't get too close to the dock or whatever you're trying to skip under. Again, the rod angle makes all the difference and if you're too close usually you'll either hit the dock or it won't skip well enough. The better you get at it, the closer you can get to your target and make it work, but at first this should help.
5) Try to learn on an docks that have a couple of feet (or more) between the bottom of the dock and the water. Until you get dialed in that's just another way to learn without having to be so precise and getting overly frustrated about it. Don't worry about getting all the way to the back of the dock at first. Learn to skip it without back lashing and focus on hitting your target. Once you get dialed in getting it further back will come naturally.

I am by no means a skipping expert, but I've gotten a lot better by doing those five things.

2019 Chevy Tahoe
2018 Basscat Eyra 250 Proxs
PB Wife of 32 years!
PB Largemouth 9.56 Ray Roberts
Re: Skipping [Re: Alan] #13905748 02/28/21 09:20 PM
B
BassMajician Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B

Loose. You can skip with your spinning set up because it is loose, and there is no worry of a backlash. You're going to blow up a lot of reels learning how to skip, but that is part of the process.

I am not the best, but I can do it. And yes, I went through a lot of line in the process. roflmao

~BJ Duplechain
2020 FXR21

Re: Skipping [Re: ReelSlow] #13905813 02/28/21 10:23 PM
J
Jarrett Latta Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
Been doing it for years with a frog. It's fun

Re: Skipping [Re: ReelSlow] #13905838 02/28/21 10:49 PM
E
ezbassin Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
E
If you choose to skip with a bait caster try out the Tatula SV TW. You can set it up to skip well without getting backlashes. Awesome reel for skipping.

Re: Skipping [Re: ezbassin] #13906032 03/01/21 01:27 AM
ReelSlow Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by fivebites

I keep mine real loose, but some others may say differently. If you're just getting started or trying to improve (which I definitely needed), here a few things that helped me.

1) Strip off about 25-30 yards of line and put on either some electrical tape or painters blue tape (I like it better) on your spool so if, sorry, WHEN you get a backlash it's not all the way down in the spool.
2) If you're just starting try to practice when it's pretty calm and in relatively open water so you don't have to skip your bait under something right away. Less likely to hit the dock and cause a backlash until you get the feel of it.
3) Remember what skipping a rock in a pond was like? It's mainly about the rod angle. If you were trying to skip a rock and it hit 3 feet in front of you...it didn't skip at all. If you got your arm angle low and parallel to the water it would skip pretty good. If you threw it out 15 or 20 yards (unless you threw it really hard) it was too far away and wouldn't skip. So there's kind of an optimum distance from where your rod tip is and where you want the bait to land.
4) This was probably my biggest error. Don't get too close to the dock or whatever you're trying to skip under. Again, the rod angle makes all the difference and if you're too close usually you'll either hit the dock or it won't skip well enough. The better you get at it, the closer you can get to your target and make it work, but at first this should help.
5) Try to learn on an docks that have a couple of feet (or more) between the bottom of the dock and the water. Until you get dialed in that's just another way to learn without having to be so precise and getting overly frustrated about it. Don't worry about getting all the way to the back of the dock at first. Learn to skip it without back lashing and focus on hitting your target. Once you get dialed in getting it further back will come naturally.

I am by no means a skipping expert, but I've gotten a lot better by doing those five things.

Good tips thanks. I haven't skipped very many docks yet, At first I'd blow up beyond repair and did not want to blow up another rig so I'd stop. Then I spooled up and taped a coupe of old BPS Pro Qualifiers and started swapping out the reel so I had 3 to blow up before I quit.

Originally Posted by ezbassin
If you choose to skip with a bait caster try out the Tatula SV TW. You can set it up to skip well without getting backlashes. Awesome reel for skipping.

I've heard that , may give one a try. A Shimano Curado is my easiest one so far to get tuned in.

It is kinda like my golf game. One day I find that sweet spot on the club face and the next ....wel you know the rest of the story.

GOD is good!
Re: Skipping [Re: ReelSlow] #13906667 03/01/21 05:29 PM
L
Los Lagos Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
rod set up?
LMH fast 7'0?

Re: Skipping [Re: Los Lagos] #13906757 03/01/21 06:33 PM
ReelSlow Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by Los Lagos
rod set up?
LMH fast 7'0?

Set up a skipping rig based on what bait you CAN skip. If you can’t get the bait there you can get bit. I tried lots of baits and set ups until I figured out what I could skip best. Like any other rig, match the bait weight and hook to the rod and line needed for that bait and keep experimenting with brakes and spool tension until you get it dialed in . The best advice I got was using electrical tape on spool after about 40 ft of line so you can practice a ton and not spend so much time picking out backlashes

I can’t skip a spinning rig for sheet. Zero accuracy and just as many line issues as a bait caster. A medium 6’8 to 7’1”should get you started on 3/8 - 1/2 jig , mail weighted fluke or stick bait

GOD is good!
Re: Skipping [Re: ReelSlow] #13907415 03/02/21 02:56 AM
I
INAMINUTE Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I
Practice in the driveway...you may beat up 20 or so feet of line but you won’t blow up your reel. It’s ultimately feel & muscle memory. When I first started, I would wrap a jig in electrical tape, put paint cans a foot or two apart and pretend the gap was my target. It doesn’t take long once you get the feel. And make sure you finish high on the follow through.

Last edited by RDB5; 03/02/21 02:56 AM.
Re: Skipping [Re: ReelSlow] #13908130 03/02/21 06:25 PM
C
Capt. Bryan Offline
Angler
Angler
C
Originally Posted by ReelSlow
Originally Posted by Los Lagos
rod set up?
LMH fast 7'0?

Set up a skipping rig based on what bait you CAN skip. If you can’t get the bait there you can get bit. I tried lots of baits and set ups until I figured out what I could skip best. Like any other rig, match the bait weight and hook to the rod and line needed for that bait and keep experimenting with brakes and spool tension until you get it dialed in . The best advice I got was using electrical tape on spool after about 40 ft of line so you can practice a ton and not spend so much time picking out backlashes

I can’t skip a spinning rig for sheet. Zero accuracy and just as many line issues as a bait caster. A medium 6’8 to 7’1”should get you started on 3/8 - 1/2 jig , mail weighted fluke or stick bait

My favorite spinning setup for this is 6' medium action rod and a 2500 size shimano reel with 10 pound mono or braid. Tube bait with 1/8 ounce internal jighead or weightless senko Texas rigged. You can skip it under limbs or boat docks with just a roll of the wrist. With the tube bait you can also do a hard slice skip where you cast downward on about a 25-30 degree angle and the bait will hit the water one time and then ricochet on about another 20 feet. The latter is good for getting under cables or when you have that nice looking opening just beyond that big overhanging willow limb. Hmmm haven't fished with tubes in a long time, think I need to order some.

Skeeter FXR 21
Yamaha
Humminbird/Garmin
Lews
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide