Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Sharelunker Question..... [Re: Sinkey] #13899784 02/24/21 01:20 AM
B
Bass-N-Buck Master Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
B
Ok i think they started this new SAL program because in this new format they can get a more accurate count of all the fish over 24" or 8lbs. If ya'll can remember they used to place sheets in all the marinas around lake fork (not sure of other lakes) for people to postand report fish they caught with weight and time they caught them think they had to be at least 6lbs not sure. With this new program you have to send in pics showing weights and length and they offer a pretty good prize pack. Just think its a more accurate way to help our texas lakes grow more and bigger fish and also, see how their restocking program is working to their satisfaction or not.
Just my 2cents

Last edited by Bass-N-Buck Master; 02/28/21 05:34 AM.
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Sharelunker Question..... [Re: Bass-N-Buck Master] #13899797 02/24/21 01:36 AM
J
Jeff From Iowa Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted by Bass-N-Buck Master
Ok i think they started this new SAL program because in this new format they can get a more accurate count of all the fish over 24" or 8lbs. If ya'll can remember they used to place sheets in all the marinas around lake fork (not sure of other lakes) for people to postand report fish they caught with weight and time they caught them think theybhad to be at least 6lbs not sure. With this new program you have to send in pics showing weights and length and they offer a pretty good prize pack. Just think its a more accurate way to help our texas lakes grow more and bigger fish and also, see how their restocking program is working to their satisfaction or not.
Just my 2cents

yes for sure, the part of the equation you didnt mention is they needed to get people to log their biggs because when they shock lakes they seldom get over 7 lbers, the bigger fish can resist it better and make one or two tail pumps and they are out of range as well as they generally are not shallow enough.

Re: Sharelunker Question..... [Re: elm creek] #13899891 02/24/21 02:35 AM
Sinkey Online Content OP
Tidy Scoop
OP Online Content
Tidy Scoop
Originally Posted by elm creek
Originally Posted by Dubee
[quote=Sinkey]Seeing all this Ivie talk made me have a question.

Obviously they take the 13’s to Athens. What are they doing with the 10, 11, 12’s etc.? Are they taking those to Athens too with this new program?

A sal is 13+. Always has been, always will. The rest is just for the everyone gets a ribbon generation. [/quot

^^^This ^^^

I agree Jerry. Just glad to know they aren’t taking all those other fish in. Wish they’d just go back to 13+.

Re: Sharelunker Question..... [Re: Sinkey] #13899916 02/24/21 02:55 AM
BigDozer66 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
RIP / RIG Ivie! hammer

2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO (VF115LA) SS Prop
Minn Kota Ultrex i-Pilot Link 45" 80 lb.
Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI BalZout Console
Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI BBT Bow Mount
Trick Step

[Linked Image]
Re: Sharelunker Question..... [Re: Dubee] #13899971 02/24/21 03:48 AM
S
SC-001 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Dubee

A sal is 13+. Always has been, always will. The rest is just for the everyone gets a ribbon generation.

thumb

Re: Sharelunker Question..... [Re: Sinkey] #13899983 02/24/21 04:08 AM
Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life) Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Dude at Rayburn kept his SAL 5 years ago, pretty sure he got it skin mounted. Won’t see me donating any fish to the SAL program if I ever get lucky enough to catch one. It’s better off released back into the lake after weight and pics.

Re: Sharelunker Question..... [Re: Bass-N-Buck Master] #13900118 02/24/21 12:27 PM
L
lconn4 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
L
Originally Posted by Bass-N-Buck Master
Ok i think they started this new SAL program because in this new format they can get a more accurate count of all the fish over 24" or 8lbs. If ya'll can remember they used to place sheets in all the marinas around lake fork (not sure of other lakes) for people to postand report fish they caught with weight and time they caught them think theybhad to be at least 6lbs not sure. With this new program you have to send in pics showing weights and length and they offer a pretty good prize pack. Just think its a more accurate way to help our texas lakes grow more and bigger fish and also, see how their restocking program is working to their satisfaction or not.
Just my 2cents

I never paid much attention to ShareLunker program myself, but always believed it was a good thing. When KenTex posted about it a while back, it got me more interested and I entered an Elite status fish. Wanted to post pics of the surprise package I received but thought it would take away from anyone else receiving theirs. Let me just say, it was more than expected, and I'm proud of my shiny participation ribbon. Thank you, State of Texas! cheers

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by lconn4; 02/24/21 12:34 PM.

A good rule of angling philosophy is not to interfere with another fisherman's ways of being happy, unless you want to be hated.
Zane Grey, Tales of Fishes, 1919

https://vimeo.com/73372194
https://vimeo.com/72859045

Re: Sharelunker Question..... [Re: Sinkey] #13900443 02/24/21 05:03 PM
S
sprigsss Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
S
Again I don't understand the hate.

The fish removed from any lake and donated to the Sharelunker program don't put a drop in the bucket as far as numbers of big fish on these lakes. Even if the fish were to die and not be re-released, the lake will remain unaffected. I personally believe the Sharelunker program is a big reason why these lakes are so good. Why discontinue a program that made it possible to catch these fish in the first place.

Also don't understand the hate for guys that submit data from fish less than 13 lbs to the Sharelunker program. More Data is always a good thing. Sure some of you guys have caught multiple fish over 13 lbs, but the truth is most anglers won't catch one over 10. So who cares if they are proud of their catch? If a man catches a PB that is 8 lbs, I'm going to be happy for him, and I honestly don't care what he calls it. Instead of being bothered by the fact that he is referring to a fish < 13 lbs as a Sharelunker, I will spend my energy being happy for the fisherman.

I caught my first 10 last October on Ivie. I don't refer to it as a Sharelunker. Personally I wouldn't refer to any fish < 13 lbs as a Sharelunker, but my life remains unaffected if someone else chooses to do so. Why can't we just be happy for each other?

Re: Sharelunker Question..... [Re: sprigsss] #13900457 02/24/21 05:10 PM
Ken A. Offline
Groovy
Groovy
Originally Posted by sprigsss

The fish removed from any lake and donated to the Sharelunker program don't put a drop in the bucket as far as numbers of big fish on these lakes. Even if the fish were to die and not be re-released, the lake will remain unaffected. I personally believe the Sharelunker program is a big reason why these lakes are so good. Why discontinue a program that made it possible to catch these fish in the first place.

Also don't understand the hate for guys that submit data from fish less than 13 lbs to the Sharelunker program. More Data is always a good thing. Sure some of you guys have caught multiple fish over 13 lbs, but the truth is most anglers won't catch one over 10. So who cares if they are proud of their catch? If a man catches a PB that is 8 lbs, I'm going to be happy for him, and I honestly don't care what he calls it. Instead of being bothered by the fact that he is referring to a fish < 13 lbs as a Sharelunker, I will spend my energy being happy for the fisherman.

I caught my first 10 last October on Ivie. I don't refer to it as a Sharelunker. Personally I wouldn't refer to any fish < 13 lbs as a Sharelunker, but my life remains unaffected if someone else chooses to do so. Why can't we just be happy for each other?

Good philosophy. The SAL program was most likely the very reason there are so many big fish being caught out of Ive right now. If TPWD does the data mining I bet you would find the recent 16.40 from Ive was an offspring of another SAL from some lake in the past. It danged sure wasn't an original fish from 21 years ago when the lake was first impounded.

If you have landed a bass over 8 pounds the chances are very high you have indeed benefited from the SAL program whether you knew it or not. Native Texas fish rarely exceed 8 pounds even when intensively managed in a small lake being force fed a steady diet.

Re: Sharelunker Question..... [Re: sprigsss] #13900668 02/24/21 07:53 PM
Sinkey Online Content OP
Tidy Scoop
OP Online Content
Tidy Scoop
Originally Posted by sprigsss

Nobody is hating on this. Just a lot of us still believe a 13 is the true goal of a Sharelunker. I know that’s my goal for sure.
As far as the awards for fish under.....I know I can speak for myself and say I don’t like it for the reason that’s it a reward for something under the original goal. And that’s a lot of what’s wrong with the world today. Nobody wants to work to achieve a goal. They want it handed to them. And I’ll tell you, my kids are the worst. Lol. It’s a daily battle trying to instill in them what I was taught growing up. But in this world today, they are shown different.

I’m not knocking any man woman or child that wants to turn in a fish under 13. That’s their right. Just not my cup of tea and not the goal I’ve been trying to achieve for years.

Re: Sharelunker Question..... [Re: Sinkey] #13900732 02/24/21 08:41 PM
J
Jpurdue Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
J
Since the ShareLunker program began in 1986 there have been 562 entrees over 13lbs. That's an average of 16 fish per year. That's not very many data points per year to try and manage the fisheries on nearly 200 reservoirs in the state. Since they modified the program in 2018, they added nearly 300 additional data points per year on catches over 8lbs. It's purely about data on their end, it has nothing to do with a participation trophy. They get hundreds of extra data points for a few thousand bucks in stickers, hats, and donated soft lures. They are better for it. Our fisheries are better for it. Us anglers are better for it. I don't understand why more folks don't embrace it. Plus putting a sticker on your truck is pretty cool in my opinion. (Yes, I know it needs a wash) [Linked Image]

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: Sharelunker Question..... [Re: Sinkey] #13900742 02/24/21 08:52 PM
Sinkey Online Content OP
Tidy Scoop
OP Online Content
Tidy Scoop
You’re wrong. For years at Lake Fork Marina we were filling out a book for TPW for fish over 7 lbs. Fish 7-12 lbs. you filled out the info on the line at the Marina. Fish over 13, they came and picked up.

Re: Sharelunker Question..... [Re: Sinkey] #13900783 02/24/21 09:30 PM
buda13 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Now days you just have to say "Legacy Class" instead of just "Sharelunker" to distinguish between the 13 lb fish or over 8's. Its really not that big of a deal....

TPWD had a recognition program in place previously where you could get a "Trophy Catch" (or something like that) certificate, this has just taken that recognition to the next level while at the same time providing TPWD with more data on fish over 8 lbs statewide than its ever had access to. The program at Fork where you advised the marinas of all catches over 7 lbs was a great idea, now they have been able to expand across Texas with the app. More information to be evaluated by fisheries biologists is a good thing. We're just so darn spoiled here we forget that an 8lb plus bass is the fish of a lifetime for the majority of bass anglers in the country.

Re: Sharelunker Question..... [Re: Sinkey] #13900785 02/24/21 09:31 PM
J
Jpurdue Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by Sinkey
You’re wrong. For years at Lake Fork Marina we were filling out a book for TPW for fish over 7 lbs. Fish 7-12 lbs. you filled out the info on the line at the Marina. Fish over 13, they came and picked up.

Wrong about what? I have no idea what they did at Fork, it's one lake out of 188. Maybe they have that data stored somewhere, but it's not in their data base online. Here's the link. Every number I quoted is straight from their website. https://texassharelunker.com/archives/

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: Sharelunker Question..... [Re: Jpurdue] #13900818 02/24/21 09:58 PM
Sinkey Online Content OP
Tidy Scoop
OP Online Content
Tidy Scoop
Originally Posted by Jpurdue
Originally Posted by Sinkey

Wrong about what? I have no idea what they did at Fork, it's one lake out of 188. Maybe they have that data stored somewhere, but it's not in their data base online. Here's the link. Every number I quoted is straight from their website. https://texassharelunker.com/archives/

About data. They’ve been receiving data for years for fish under 13 lbs.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide