Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Pellet Stoves Need your wisdom [Re: wytex] #13894130 02/19/21 04:56 PM
hopalong Offline
Pescador Loco
Pescador Loco
Originally Posted by wytex
Pellet stove will take power to work right. A well placed and efficient wood stove would radiate heat without any power source needed.
Our wood stove in our lower level will heat our whole, smallish, house and the keep the heat from clicking on in below zero temps.
It has a fan but we rarely use it.
We could cook on top of it if we ever needed to also.

Plenty of folks up here have pellet stoves and they do heat great but need power to operate . Most have wood as an emergency backup, either a stove or fireplace . Really stoves are usually put in fireplaces up here due to their efficiency and heat radiating abilities.
The soapstone stoves heat up slowly but really retail their heat over time.
Pellets are readily available up here and pretty cheap due to the beetle killed trees they use for them, that is why many go that route for extra heat but not really as their emergency heat backup.
Pellets have the advantage for ease of use though, no firewood cutting or buying. Pallets of bags are way cheaper than a cord of wood and probably burn longer .

thumb

my insert (designed the house with a fireplace with insert in mind, didn't want to lose the floor space) in colorado would run you out and even in a bad winter I never burned more than 2.5 or 3 cords, that is for a winter that lasted first of oct. to end of may. kept full rounds of pine with split aspen for fast heat but aspen burned way too fast.

Re: Pellet Stoves Need your wisdom [Re: ReelSlow] #13894136 02/19/21 04:58 PM
hopalong Offline
Pescador Loco
Pescador Loco
depending on where her house is she may only use a pellet stove once or twice a yr. until the next bad storm comes in. firewood will rot if not used within a couple of yrs. I have a 1/4 cord of rotted outside now from sitting about 3 yrs.

Re: Pellet Stoves Need your wisdom [Re: ReelSlow] #13894142 02/19/21 05:04 PM
ReelSlow Online Content OP
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
Good stuff

She lives in town, she isn't a Prepper, she just wants a pellet stove She is not interested in finding hauling or scouting for firewood. She is willing to bank on some type of power backup , (battery most likely) A week worth of battery power in Central Texas should be pretty safe as long as she practices good battery charging fundamentals. she is not mechanically inclined, running a generator and maintaining it is a no. She wants to add some ambiance to her living room, have backup heat in case of power failure, have supplemental heat all winter. She has a huge garage she can horde pellets for forever on.

So ..... she is going to buy a pellet burning stove and I am her EASY BOTTON, handle it Dad.

GOD is good!
Re: Pellet Stoves Need your wisdom [Re: Pilothawk] #13894147 02/19/21 05:08 PM
R
ReelBusy Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
R
Originally Posted by Pilothawk
No one has mentioned the primary objection I have to pellet stoves....noise.

The auger and the fan put out a lot of noise.

I owned one for several years...replaced it with a propane stove. Quiet.

They are efficient. The auger and fan require electricity. Bags of pellets are 40lbs and cost about $6.50

What kind of propane stove did you go with?

Re: Pellet Stoves Need your wisdom [Re: hopalong] #13894148 02/19/21 05:08 PM
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by hopalong
depending on where her house is she may only use a pellet stove once or twice a yr. until the next bad storm comes in. firewood will rot if not used within a couple of yrs. I have a 1/4 cord of rotted outside now from sitting about 3 yrs.

Knowing her well, anticipate her using it more than most would. I burned 1/2 chord of old dry pecan the last week , it goes up in a hurry. I've burned it first and now into the good oak after i clean out ashes. . My heat and water were out 3 days.

Last edited by ReelSlow; 02/19/21 05:10 PM.

GOD is good!
Re: Pellet Stoves Need your wisdom [Re: ReelSlow] #13894342 02/19/21 07:22 PM
W
wytex Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
W
Hop I agree inserts are the way to go if you can.

Up here pellets run about $250-280 for a pallet of bags (60).

I think she will enjoy a pellet stove though, from what I know they cam be run pretty low on burn and that would lend to more use for her I bet.

Hope you all are doing ok as you thaw out.

Re: Pellet Stoves Need your wisdom [Re: ReelSlow] #13894361 02/19/21 07:30 PM
L
leethefishking Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
L
Reel slow, are you certain she was running emergency strips on heat pump.

Re: Pellet Stoves Need your wisdom [Re: ReelSlow] #13895299 02/20/21 01:47 PM
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
Her system if I understand it right auto switches to AUX heat when the heat pump can't keep up. EM shuts off the heat pump and AUX heat and turns on heat strips for EM Heat. She has had this house less than a year and got a 1 year home warranty thru American Home Shield. First Tech came out and told her it was too cold for heat pump to keep up and just put it on EM HEAT and left and said it would take awhile for it to catch up.

It went from bad to worse. 3 days later they sent a different Tech. He said that unit has Auto AUX heat, and EM is only for if the heat pump completely quits. It heats well on HEAT since the temps got back up from extreme. That does not make sense to me. I always thought EM added heat strips to supplement the heat pump.

GOD is good!
Re: Pellet Stoves Need your wisdom [Re: ReelSlow] #13895335 02/20/21 02:17 PM
T
Teeners boat Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Ever heard of a Corn Stove? My cousins up in Nantahala, NC have these & they work great! Not sure of her budget though, these are around $1700. Check them out.

https://cornflame.net/40000.html

Reality. What a concept!
Re: Pellet Stoves Need your wisdom [Re: ReelSlow] #13895524 02/20/21 04:26 PM
Pilothawk Offline
Pumpkin Head
Pumpkin Head
Wiseway makes a pellet stove, that does not require electricity.

This would be a good backup source of heat.

KANSAS JAYHAWK BASKETBALL - Where tradition comes from [Linked Image]
2008 NATIONAL BASKETBALL CHAMPIONS-ORANGE BOWL CHAMPIONS 2008
52 Conf Champs /5 Nat'l Champs
Re: Pellet Stoves Need your wisdom [Re: ReelSlow] #13895631 02/20/21 05:28 PM
D
DLALLDER Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Originally Posted by ReelSlow
Her system if I understand it right auto switches to AUX heat when the heat pump can't keep up. EM shuts off the heat pump and AUX heat and turns on heat strips for EM Heat. She has had this house less than a year and got a 1 year home warranty thru American Home Shield. First Tech came out and told her it was too cold for heat pump to keep up and just put it on EM HEAT and left and said it would take awhile for it to catch up.

It went from bad to worse. 3 days later they sent a different Tech. He said that unit has Auto AUX heat, and EM is only for if the heat pump completely quits. It heats well on HEAT since the temps got back up from extreme. That does not make sense to me. I always thought EM added heat strips to supplement the heat pump.

Reelslow, My system is very similar to what you said. The AUX HEAT is just that, it is designed to assist the heat pump. EM (EMERGENCY HEAT) Is when heat pump has quit completely and you are now on 100% heat strips. The different functions are time controlled, not sure of the times but example , heat pump runs 30 minutes & temp is not up to thermostat setting AUX HEAT KICKS IN. Another 30 minutes temp still not up to thermostat setting EM kicks in. Hope you can understand my explanation.

Re: Pellet Stoves Need your wisdom [Re: DLALLDER] #13896290 02/21/21 03:01 AM
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by DLALLDER
Originally Posted by ReelSlow

Reelslow, My system is very similar to what you said. The AUX HEAT is just that, it is designed to assist the heat pump. EM (EMERGENCY HEAT) Is when heat pump has quit completely and you are now on 100% heat strips. The different functions are time controlled, not sure of the times but example , heat pump runs 30 minutes & temp is not up to thermostat setting AUX HEAT KICKS IN. Another 30 minutes temp still not up to thermostat setting EM kicks in. Hope you can understand my explanation.

I understand, thanks

GOD is good!
Re: Pellet Stoves Need your wisdom [Re: ReelSlow] #13896294 02/21/21 03:03 AM
U
UGLYSHCTICK Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
U
My FIL has a pellet furnace. This week his power was out. So was his heat source.

Just want to make folks smile, and spit coffee on their keyboard.

If you put beans in your chili, you don't know beans about chili.

God doesn't create temporary people, you will spend eternity somewhere. Choose wisely.
Re: Pellet Stoves Need your wisdom [Re: Pilothawk] #13896312 02/21/21 03:18 AM
K
kennerdude Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
K
Originally Posted by Pilothawk
Wiseway makes a pellet stove, that does not require electricity.

This would be a good backup source of heat.

I looked at the website and I like the idea.

NIL CARBORUNDUM
Re: Pellet Stoves Need your wisdom [Re: ReelSlow] #13896353 02/21/21 03:45 AM
T
Topwater2 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
T
The best on the market is Quadra-Fire.

FishKen
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index